Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Trappistes Rochefort 10 | Brasserie de Rochefort

4.4

Ratings: 9,315 |  Reviews: 2,887

3.75/5  rDev -16.7%

4.98/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Like a dark cherry wood. Lighter head is stable, but doesn't overflow the glass.

S: Molasses and fruit and malty, bready goodness.

T: Just like it smells, the opposite of a letdown. Like a liquid Jamaican Christmas cake. Sweet, but a cinnamon-like sting as it leaves.

M: Thick. Carbonation is just right. The alcohol just blends incredibly here.

O: Truly the best Belgian beer I have ever tried, and in my top ten favorite beers of all time. Yes, I've had a Westvleteren 12, but this is better. Whereas the Westy was too carbonated and short-lived like a darker Duvel, the Rochefort is thick, almost Doppelbock-like. A must have.

4.34/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

review #200, had to bring out a big gun

330ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A- a murky, dark brown with some ruby highlights, a big light tan head dissipates very quickly.

S- big hit of dark belgian sugar grape musk. Some muted ginger and cocoa notes.

T- Rich and malty. Reeeeally sweet. Has the medicinal/belgian sugar flavor that tells you it's a quad. I get the grape musk notes, and there's complexity in the deep malty base. Peppery, cocoa, ginger. Slightly boozy. Taste lingers looong after the sip. Could use a much heavier dose of dark fruits.

M- very smooth, almost creamy, but the quite aggressive carbonation breaks up the party. Suprisingly, it's a touch dry on the finish.

O- Well done, but honestly, just too darn sweet. I would much prefer more dark fruits be present in the taste. Lets be honest though, I'm nitpicking a bit.

4.79/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow, this was an amazing beer. My first endover into a Tripel. It was had notes of honey, banana, cloves, wheat, and some kind of liquor base, but not 100% sure. I have now had 3 six packs at ruffly $50 a piece. The only reason I don't have this at a 5.0 is because there was a batch that was off. I took it back to the LQ after drinking 3 and had them swap it out with the distributor because it was so bad. I know this brewed small batch style by Monks, so I guess I get it but at $8 a beer I really do expect perfection and often times I get it with this beer.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort