Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Trappistes Rochefort 10 | Brasserie de Rochefort

4.4

Ratings: 9,316 |  Reviews: 2,887

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

So here's the thing. First of all, from what I've heard, this beer is not as consistent as St. Bernardus, and it tastes significantly better when aged (I am currently aging a bottle till Christmas 2013 or 2014, and will edit this review upon strengthening my notes). Also my notes got cut off in transfer to evernote, so I don't have any written recollection of the mouthfeel. It is, however, just behind St. Bernardus on my list, just outside the top ten (of over 800).

A: A cross between ruby red, purple and murky brown with a brown head. It looks like your typical quad, which is seldom a good thing, but it is a damn good beer, and should not be downgraded for looking as it should. In a word. Murky.

S: Alcohol, grape and banana. Better notes to come.

T: Grape, malt and a slight taste of alcohol. Ok I am CERTAIN there is more going on here. I will definitely update my notes on this one. Perhaps I'll buy another bottle or two, age one and drink the other right away to assuage my shitty note guilt.

M: ....Uhhhh... full bodied and smoothish? I don't have any notes on the mouthfeel. Sorry.

O: TASTE IT! It's excellent, among my top 15 out of more than (edit) 800 beers, and the second best quad I've ever had. But do age a bottle four a couple years.

EDIT:

Tried after cellaring for two years.

A: Dark brown with a thick mocha head.

S: Plum, fig, raisin, other sweet dark fruits that smell boiled down, thick and concentrated.

T: Dark fruits, sweet, syrupy, but not overbearingly. Brown sugar, vanilla. DELICIOUS

M: Thick, full bodied, a bit foamy, but pretty smooth.

O: If you buy a bottle of this, delicious as it may be, save it. Save it for two years. You will get down on your knees and praise the lord above.

3.5/5  rDev -22.2%

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Beers of Fame Blind Taste Test

A - Darkest of the four quads. Virtually opaque with red tints. Decent head retention with a paler head than the other three.

S - Mostly caramel and dates in the nose.

T -Very, very complex and hard to pick out. A lot of dark dry fruits and brown sugar.

M - Lots of unfermented sugar, very thick and chewy.

O - The winner by a nose, a very great brew and relatively affordable. Would drink again.

3.75/5  rDev -16.7%

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

4.81/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful deep plum color with a full beige head that dissipates to thin film. Very nice lacing. Smells of raisin, apricots, and a generally sweet fruity aroma. The taste is amazing, plums, grapes, complex but so smooth, just a little alcohol burn on the end, just right. Medium carbonation and body is perfect for this style, a sticky finish. Among the elite this style. Great.

4.49/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into tulip. There's is some kind of date on the bottle but I have no clue what the hell it means.

A: Poured a deep brown. Looks like liquid chocolate even though it does not smell like it. about 2 fingers of really light tan. As of right now when I'm reviewing this, there is about a finger and a half of head.

S: Upon my first sniff, I caught a very strong smell. Some dark fruits such as figs and raisins. Caramel and malts are also prevalent in the nose. There is also a slight scent of alcohol.

T: Some fruits start this out with some caramel coming through immediately after. A strong malty backbone with a bready flavor finishes along with a slight alcohol burn. Burnt sugar makes up the sweetness that is quite consistent with throughout this brew. The aforementioned alcohol burn is nothing that takes away from the flavor of this beer. Definitely some good stuff here.

M: Medium to heavy bodied. The bready malts linger on the palate and make this a bit chewy. As I previously mentioned, the alcohol is slight but enjoyable. And the chewiness makes me yearn for another sip. Well done.

Overall: I have had 1 or 2 quads and my life and this brew exemplifies what a quad is. The alcohol is pretty well hidden for a brew with 11% ABV. The complex flavors are fantastic and you can tell that these Belgians put a lot of time into their brews. This makes me want to try a Westy and see how they compare. I'm not sure if I'd buy another one of these at 7-8 bucks a bottle, but I will say that it's definitely worth it. Great job Brasserie de Rochefort in Rochefort, Belgium!

3.94/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

a: Amber brown to brown with a significant head that dissipates gradually. Little carbonation.

s: A smell of sweet fruit, possibly cherries or plums.

t: A bit dry up front, with a sweet fruit and malty taste.

m: Rich with little noticeable carbonation. Very little alcohol warming. Not syrupy at all.

o: For being 11.3% alcohol, this beer is pretty drinkable. It tastes rich without being thick. A good beer, but for me, not in the same league as Westvleteren.

3.5/5  rDev -22.2%