Trappistes Rochefort 10 | Brasserie de Rochefort

Alströms:
4.4

Ratings: 9,278 |  Reviews: 2,883

4.32/5  rDev -4%

11.2 oz bottle, packaged on January 11th, 2012. It was allowed to warm a bit before being poured into my Chimay chalice.

Rochefort 10 pours a very dark mahogany, no real highlights to speak of. Just over two fingers of bone colored foam rise up and crown the beer, and manage to stick around for a good long while. Little in the way of lacing though. The nose is fairly fruity, though more figs than some of the dark fruits that are more typical in a quad. There's just a bit of brown sugar sweetening up the ester profile, and a subtle clove aroma completes the picture. The fruit flavors, while still fig centric, lean just a little bit more towards plum and raisin than the nose (though I find myself wishing they did even more so). I find myself really enjoying the faint suggestion of brown sugar present, it's a nice, unique touch for this kind of brew. The spicy clove phenols are again relegated to a supporting role (which is how I like them). The body is fairly light and agile mouthfeel wise, but the carbonation could benefit by being just a bit brighter and more lively. I don't know if Rochefort 10 is my favorite quad, but it's surely a classic.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

A: color is like a murky medium roasted coffee. Brown with a tinge of orange. Carbonation is high at first but the head doesnt stay for long.

S: light fruits, toffee, chocolate, coffeeshop aroma.

T: Sweet, malty, chocolate. Dates. Caramel. The taste of a dark bread, maybe a tinge of pumpernickel but no bitterness. A soft caramel aftertaste like after drinking a Dr. Pepper.

M: Creamy at the start. Silky on the finish. Exceptional.

O: I love the complexities of this beer. I feel like i'll probably edit this review after i have it again to add more flavors as i notice them.

4.32/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Muddy turbid appearance. I get raisins and figs in the aroma. The taste has a sweet backbone which helps give this beer its sturdiness. I like this beer although I'm not a huge fan of quadruples. I can taste that this is a well crafted beer. It has a real purity of flavors that is unusual. The water they use is really clean and good. It gives the flavors of the beer a sort of transparency that allows one to easily identify the different elements within the beer. Nothing is muddled together. There's no background noise. Glad I finally got around to trying this.

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

After wondering what the date 11/1/17 on my bottle meant, I found that it means the beer "expires" in 5 years. That being said, that would mean it was brewed yesterday and then traveled overnight to my local corner store in Florida. I don't think so.

That being said, it means that this bottle had to be extremely fresh. The head retention is fantastic and the smell is even better. Plum, raisin, everything you would expect. The taste very nearly mirrors the smell, however there was a surprisingly medium-high level of carbonation that I will chalk up to being an extremely fresh batch. Mouthfeel was a lighter than expected as well, but no complaints here.

All that being said, definately a top 5 quad, a vintage would undoubtedly be even more exceptional.

4.17/5  rDev -7.3%

Got it in Great Barrington, MA store. It's really cool that the monks draw the water for this beer from their well that is located inside the brewery. It's pretty murky with almost no foam. Small bubbles champagne like. Taste like caramelized barley, caramelized so heavily so it's so sweet like a slightly burned sugar. It was $7.00 for 11.2oz in the store. I expected a bit more razzal-dazzle for the price. Overall it's a good Belgian Trappist Ale, but not exceptional.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

3.74/5  rDev -16.9%

330ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Dark red in color with quite a haze to it. The head was tan with big bubbles but dissipated right away. No lacing.

S - Unrippened raspberries come to mind first off. Not getting any sweetness. Maybe a little woody character. Wine like, some raisins in there. I don't get any oxidation. Alcohol is apparent.

T - The malts hit right away with a nutty flavor. Little bit of initial sweetness but short. Alcohol is all over the flavor. Midpalate is very wine like, dry with complex red fruit qualities. Finishes very warm and the alcohol leaves a spicy warm lasting impression.

M - Medium to full bodied, low carbonation, semi-dry.

O - A little disappointed in this beer to be honest. Though very complex, it lacked some dimension in that it starved off all sweetness, I expected all these flavors and a little more. I thought it would hold a tight head longer. Still a good beer but maybe I was just overhyped for it.

4.58/5  rDev +1.8%

Stumbled across this beauty in a cafe called the Elite Cafe in Cefalu, Sicily. No idea how I got there. No idea how this beer got in their fridge. I do know that the counter guy with rotten teeth gave me a big thumbs up when I presented a couple of these at the checkout, which I reciprocated. Big thumbs up, then ran like hell.

The other reviews correctly note the 'notes'. All those flavors -- real and imagined -- are present. I will say that this beer is about as good as a beer gets in a bottle. On a coldish night, it will warm your bones while you stand there shivering not knowing what planet you're on, where the keys went, or why your car is on fire.

Coming across this beer in the south of Italy -- it's like encountering an old friend you never met.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort