Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Trappistes Rochefort 10 | Brasserie de Rochefort

#97
4.4

Ratings: 9,316 |  Reviews: 2,887
3.15/5  rDev -30%

appearance: Dark wood brown with creme/beige/mocca head.

smell: I get dark ripe fruits right away, together with caramel / brown sugar.

taste: First sip is quite alcohol heavy, together with ripe fruits and caramel and brown sugar at the end. The next sip the alcohol starts to mellow out. I get more flavors, like dates, raisins and plum, bready, getting some full sweetness of caramel up the nose. Some medicinal / phenol stuff going on as well. Got some peppery spice with alcohol. Mainly the brown sugar with (quite heavy) alcohol taste remains as a finish.

mouthfeel: Medium thick and quite some carbonation. Alcohol as a spicy kick.

overall: I do like the flavor profile. The only thing is that the alcohol taste is just too heavy and ruins the bear imo. Maybe it's the phenol with alcohol combo that turns me down. I know better beers with a similar flavor profile. This one just didn't really work for me.

3.75/5  rDev -16.7%

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Review from 7/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a dark, dark red amber with massive head and lacing. Dark fruit aroma. Absolutely delicious. Tastes of dark fruit, caramel slightly floral with Belgian yeast and malt. Complex, creamy, rich and flavorful. Almost impossibly, smoother and more integrated than the 8. Perfect

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

11.2 ounce bottle poured into a snifter

A- Pours a very dark woody brown,amber. A massive three finger off tan head. Very nice lacing and impressive alcohol legs. Lots of particles after the swirl.

S- The first thing I get is dark fruits. A lot of caramel coated raisins, plums and dates. A sugary sweetness to them all. There's also a slight bread note.

T- I get a slight bitterness and alcohol sting up front. Followed up by a smooth array of breaddy notes, dark caramel and toffee. The back end of this beer is all dark fruits, There is raisins, plums, figs and dates. Finish is all dark fruit and it sticks around

M- This is a big beer that is very well balanced out by enormous amounts of alcohol and carbonation. Surprisngly easy to drink for its size. Goes down with high carbonation and a velvety feel.

O- Awesome Quad and it certainly lives up to its reputation. I cant say I like it as much as St. Bernardus Abt 12, it is very close and certainly a worthy adversary spite the two beers being so different. Get it.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

I had this at the local restaurant as part of their beer incentive program. I had this on my list of "to-do's", so why not today?

I poured this into a chalice and got about two fingers of foam. I picked-up a decent amount of dark fruit and some light sour off the top.

This is a very good example of a quad. I like the balance of ale presence and dark fruits. It wasn't too heavy or strong. I like the balance.

The Rochefort 10 is a pretty easy to get beer. I recommend picking up a couple bottles. Drink one and cellar the bottle. This beer tastes like it is good for aging.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort