Trappistes Rochefort 10 | Brasserie de Rochefort

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by Todd on 11-06-2000

Ratings: 9,209 |  Reviews: 2,864

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

What a surprise. I have been on a quest to purchase a Trappist Westvleteren 12 while living just south of Belgium. To make a long story short, they don't sell it in stores, but they have a crazy list of rules that are posted on the abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren website (http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.htm#Bezettoon.).

So, I started to pick up all the interesting beers that I could find in various stores. And, I came across the Trappistes Rochefort 10. Score!

330ml bottle into a Tournei tulip. Drank February 23, 2012.

Appearance (5.0): After only drinking different Belgium beer for the past couple of weeks, I have learned how to make a good pour. The Rochefort has a thick head, roughly 1/3 the size of the pour. The head stays firm, slowly disappating over the course of the drink, leaving long laces of The dark brown beer is a nice contrast to the head.

Smell (4.5): A complex smell of cherry and chocolate, flowers and coke. Effervescent bubbles tickle the nose.

Taste (5.0): For a dark beer, the taste was fruity, but still a true Belgian feel. Despite the high alcohol content, it wasn't overwhelming in the mouth. Started and finshed creamy.

Mouthfeel (4.5): There is a response to most Belgiums for me, where the first two sips are full of bubbles. The carbination is overwhelming, but settles down for the rest of the glass.

Overall (5.0): This ranks at the top of all beers I have had. I need to sit down and try one later ... with some good friends. I'll try to brig a few home to the states if my friends are unable to find a few bottles at House of 1000 Beers (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/15450).

I'm just lucky to have another of a "Top 10" beer ... even if by accident.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

3.76/5  rDev -15.9%

appearance - dark brown and very hazy thick dark red. Nice fuzzy head.

smell - toasty and bready almost a coffee note, with a hint of toffee and banana.

taste - I can't taste the alchohol which is nice... hides it very well! Sweet and a little bite to it. Plum and cherry flavour with a bit of bitterness, probably my favorite part of this beer.

mouthfeel - a little bit on the dry side on the back end but has a softness toward the front of the mouth

overall - I think the taste is better than the appearance and the fragrance, but I prefer Chimay over this anyday

see you on the next one.

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

Bottle from Halftime. Going to compare this again in a year to compare how it ages.

dark amber capped by a small silky head that only reduces slightly. Nose is malt, sugar, and yeast. Taste is burnt sugar upfront, slight biscuit, hint of dark fruit. Alchohol rears its head as this critter warms. Silky creamy mouthfeel, medium bodied.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Bottle from Dusty's Cellar in Okemos MI. About for a bottle $6.25 with a 10% off card.

Poured into a snifter. First quad tasting, and besides that BA description (which isn't as insightful as most) I don't really know what to expect. Paired with some Pizza House deep-dish left-overs to cleanse the palette. Reason for consuming, Whitley's done with the vagina monologues (good job girl).

I have seen the rating before, and I will do my best not to be biased.

A&S: Very strong sweet, fruity (apples and pears) cider smell, with notes of caramel. Elegant mid-ranged black colored beer (kinda raisin colored). This beer has a lot of unfilteredness to it, large chunks in both the bottle and the glass. Pours about 2 fingers of fizzy light tan head. Creamy head in maintained for a while at about a quarter of a finger --> nothing but a ring after a few mins.

T&M: Very bold/powerful taste. Upfront it has similar characteristics to the smell (apples and pear), but toward the finish its more on the dark fruits (raisins) spectrum. Upfront the alcohol is well hidden and towards the back (especially when its warmer) it gets quite hot (almost too hot). The finish is a bit sour with a touch of bourbon and no real bitterness, its also very, very smooth. Not really what I expected as far as mouthfeel. Its very high bubbly carbonation and first, but after some time it really dies to almost nothing. High medium to full for the body. I would suggest drinking at around 45 to 50, I get really hot (in alcohol) after that.

O: I thought it was a little overrated [I was a little generous giving it a 4.5 for taste (it probably deserved somewhere in between a 4 and a 4.50]3. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't think I'll buy it again, at least for the price of 6.10 a bottle. But don't get me wrong if someone was offering... I'd be all over it. Even though I haven't review this style before, I kinda see what they are aiming for and I don't think its really my kind of beer. This beer would pair perfectly with steak.

3.5/5  rDev -21.7%

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

The beer looks dark and thick when poured, but tastes much lighter than expected. Very complex smell with hops playing a small, spicy role in the background. Alcohol comes on late in the taste, but not overpowering due to the intense roasted flavors of this beer.

Tried this beer in a small bar in Italy per the suggestion of both the bartender and a nice Belgian couple I wad chatting with. The best beer I have ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%