Trappistes Rochefort 10 | Brasserie de Rochefort

4.93/5  rDev +9.6%

2.96/5  rDev -34.2%

128th Review
Bottle to Westvletren 12 (small) chalice

From notes. This was beer #2 that was enjoyed as part of a blind Quad tasting - to warm our palates before the real tasting - in Utrecht (December 2011). Thanks Jeffo and doopiedoopiedoo for the hospitality!

A: Deep tint of brown. 0.5 (mocha) fingernail head on Jeffo's pour - I was being honest.

S: Currants, caramelized brown sugar, toffee, coffee, and plums. Hint of sour funk though which was weird.

T: Taste a bit better than it smells, but still seems a bit off.

M: Medium-full bodied with soft carbonation.

O: This was my least favorite of the five being poured, but I think the bottle may have been off. We had a lengthy discussion about this, but I don't really remember what the conclusion was. I'll come back to it again at some point in the future and probably re-review it just for kicks.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

4.5/5  rDev 0%

A: murky brown, semi translucent

S: sweet fruit, dates

T: dates, vanilla, lemon, oak

M: medium carbonation, mild alcohol warmth

O: well balanced, extremely drinkable for over 10% ABV. What hasn't been said about this beer? The most complex beer I've ever drank, yet it it's still smooth as silk. Any further criticism would not only make me look a fool, but discredit everyone who was involved in producing this masterpiece. I wish I had more. So much more.

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Dark muddy brown with reddish hues. The head is thick, tan, and has crazy awesome retention. Seems to last forever. Lacing is splotchy.

S - Smells wonder full. Picking up dark fruits, berries, raisins, prunes and sweet fig. It also has a milky quality to it. Like condensed milk with a hint of bananas. Alcohol is faint but its there.

T - Caramel sweetness with berries, raisins and alcohol. Hints of chocolate, Belgium spice and more alcohol. This stuff is delicious.

M - The mouth feel is creamy smooth with soft carbonation. Its silky and subtle. Perfect.

O - Amazing to say the least. I thought 8 dollars was a bit steep but now I realize I was wrong. This beer is delicious and is worth every penny I payed for it. If you like dark fruit and alcohol warmth with subtle complexities then I highly recommend this. Its a sipper.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort