Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Trappistes Rochefort 10 | Brasserie de Rochefort

Added by Todd on 11-06-2000

#97
4.4

Ratings: 9,344 |  Reviews: 2,894

Served in a goblet at the Bethlehem Brew Works Steel Gaarden.

I would have preferred trying this beer for the first time in a quiet, well lit atmosphere but I have wanted to try this beer for so long and I could not wait any longer.

Chocolatey brown liquid with a thin, lacing head. The aroma of choclolate, brown sugar, hints of green apple and cinammon. Tastes of wine- like acidity, apples, pears, maple syrup.

The mouthfeel was bubbly yet very silky and smooth and the drinkability is outstanding although my wallet wouldn't allow for it.

I'll be visiting with this brew again.

4.48/5  rDev -0.4%

Deep brown, almost black with a 2" light tan head that has great retention. Lots of foamy lacing.

Smells of bready yeast, bannanas, dried plums, malts, and and a touch of alcohol that is slightly "winey".

The yeast, and plum like flavors are still there when tasted. There's a lot going on here, very complex. The full bodied mouthfeel works together with the carbonation. There's some twinge from the alcohol, but it isn't out of place and the warming effect is perfect for a cold night. However, the high abv makes this one a slow sipper.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

very nice brew.
poured out a deep mahogany/brown with a nice 1 1/2 inch head that showed great retention.
smell was rasiny, sweet plum and alcohol with notes of caramel malt.
taste was about the same but the alcohol seemed quite prevelant and masked some of the flavors in my opinion.
all in all a very very nice belgian.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

This beer poured a brownish/black body with a pillowy tan head.

The nose was a mix of raisins, alcohol, plums, dark ripe fruit, chocolate, caramel, very subtle wood and even some fireplace bricks. Really luscious European milk chocolate. Hints of citrus fruit even. Yeast and a very mild, almost non-existent phenol smell.

Thick and very full bodied with a fine carbonation. Dark roasted malts dominate with this nice touch of smoky fireplace brick like roastyness. Sort of like licking the inside of a fireplace but with a rich dark chocolate flavor. Soft fruit tones that intermix with the malt. The alcohol is almost completely hidden. Very smooth and very drinkable, There’s a mild but very present mint, wood and earth hop bitterness. Under the radar but it’s there and makes a nice balance. Some tart fruits with almost a tequila like flavor, odd but yummy.

Just a classic Belgian strong ale. A great mix of dark chocolate, malt and fruit. Yum, yum, give me some more.

poured a deep hazy brown, nice rich head with good retention, smell had alcohol presence, fruity melon, taste is rich and complex, chocolate, and fruity, spicy! mouthfeel is highly carbonated smooth and creamy, drinkability is fantastic! not a session brew but one that is not to be missed! Enjoy!
P.S...I'm editing and giving this a perfect score, cuz I believe this is THE most interesting, and best beer I ever had!...an ABSOLUTE MUST, in my book!

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a murky brown with a 1/4 inch tan head. Yeasties floating on top of the head. Not much lace. Smell is fruity, yeasty and spicy.

Very bready tasting, a little grainy. Cinnamon and fruity, spiced sour apples. Quite the alcohol flavor. Sweet with a lightly sour aftertaste. Yeasty. The closest thing to liquid bread I've ever tasted. Big and rich. A really excellent brew although I could see this developing to be even better in a couple of years.

Not that drinkable to be honest. A sippin' brew for sure. Need me some more.

4.48/5  rDev -0.4%

As excited about this beer as I was, it did not let me down. The appearance was a beautiful deep amber color with lingering tan head and brussels lace down the sides of the glass as it went down. The aroma was a nice mix of malt sweetness, fruity esters and alcohol.

As to be expected the beer was very malty up front but of an amazing complexity. Deep in there were some black cherry flavors noticeable but the remainder was to me beyond description.
Nice medium-full body with some creaminess and very noticeable alcohol warmth.
Beautiful beer all around but be careful having too many of these in a row as they may impair your ability to taste and rate any other beers accurately.

4.23/5  rDev -6%

Poured into my Belgian glass this beautiful ale pours dark and murky brown. A rocky dense white head sit on top with a little brown in the middle from the yeast. The foamy head sticks to the side of the glass as it is drank and swirled. The only thing that can be improved is maybe a little more clarity to allow some more color to come through.
This brew packs a powerful aroma and flavor. Smells of yeast and cherries and raisins followed by medicinal alcohol come through.
Flavors of rich malt and yeast are followed by dark plum and strong alcohol and a bitter earthy aftertaste. The alcohol is a little too powerful in the finish. Overall this is an intense beer with very complex flavors and moderate drinkability. Definatley one to seek out.

4.46/5  rDev -0.9%

Been waiting to try this for a while, looked really good. Pours a nice dark brown body with some hints of ruby in the light. Huge light tan head, great retention all the way to the end. Very sweet smelling, lotsa malt in here. Think I smell a grape aroma too. Very smooth, though a slight tinge of alcohol taste at the roof of the mouth, I don't really mind that. Tasted better as it warmed up. Very warming as it went down, I haven't had many beers that do that. Mouthfeel is pleasent, almost velvety. Great beer!

4.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Couldn't wait to have this highly lauded brew. It poured with a deep brown and opaque body with a head that was cloudy, tannish, and substantial. The nose is alluring with notes of raisin, malt, and/or plum. The mouthfeel is almost chewy but also has a juicy texture. The fullness is also there. I mostly sense a raisin and brandy-like character that is complemented nicely by a juicy malt kick. You can finally get a sense for that high alcohol content right at the beginning of the finish. Mostly you get a continued raisin and plum layer that is balanced by a nice little bitter balance about midway through the finish. By mid-bottle, you realize how much of a belly warmer this really is. Truly a world class beer. Ah the trappists!

4.07/5  rDev -9.6%

The beer pours a deep dark brown color with a 1/4" offwhite head that quickly fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is great. It has a very rich and intense roasted malt scent that boasts of roasted barley and Belgian caramel malts; very nice. It is sweet and dry. The taste is good. It has a creamy, yet powerful brown ale flavor with lots of caramel malts and a tart yeast finish. It goes down smooth and is surprisingly thin and dry on the finish. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a medium bodied brew with adequate carbonation. This is a great tasting brew with lots of enticing malt aroma. I wish it had a little more body, but otherwise it's a good drinker.

4.63/5  rDev +2.9%

Picked up a bottle of this legendary brew at my local HyVee Wine & Spirits. I don't understand the hype of a lot of Belgians..maybe they'll grow on me, i don't know..but up until this point, many have not been to my liking. Rochefort 10 opened my eyes quite a bit....

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color and leaves a relatively thin, beige head on the top. Lacing is excellent. Very foamy, creamy, and sticks to the glass well.

Smell: Aroma is nothing like I've ever smelled. Very complex. Fruity..surprisingly chocolately... Maybe a little bit of spices but mostly a sweet, malty aroma. Alcohol is definitely present.

Taste: I really don't know what else I can add that the previous reviews don't... so many flavors, extremely complex and rich. As other BAs have noted, can definitely pick up chocolate, fruits, and the obviously apparent alcohol. The ABV is icing on the cake, and no doubt, you can taste it. Not overpowering, but present nonetheless...a warmer in every sense of the word. So sweet and complex that it's hard to describe. Sweet fruit nectars injected with caramel, almost sickly-sweet chocolate, with the most creamy finish you could imagine.

Mouthfeel: Exceptional mouthfeel. I'm convinced that the words rich, creamy, and smooth were all created with this beer in mind. Definitely medium to full-bodied...more carbonation than expected but despite the high alcohol and extreme complexity, very easy to drink (at least in small quantities).

Drinkability: Best beer I've ever had? I dunno..definitely not the most available or most practical, considering it's price and availability in the area. Is it worthy of being rated the 10th best beer in the world? absolutely. 11.3% ABV packed into an astoundingly complex Belgian such as this.. Meant to sip and enjoy, a pinnacle of the style and of beer in general.

First experience: 4.3 / 5
This beer didn't quite live up to the hype for me, especially after the Rochefort 8 I had several hours earlier more than surpassed my expectations.

The beer pours to a dark golden color that thickens to a dark maroon color as the liquid fills. The head wasn't quite as perfect with such tiny uniform bubbles as was the 8. The bouqet also seemed to be somewhat less pronounced.

The taste had a raisin and red wine hint on the tip of the tongue complemented by malty sweetness. Something in the brew seems to have tickled my sour tastebuds as well, but I can't quite place it. The body was thick and syrupy, damn near unpleasant with the heavy alcohol and carbonation paired with the sweetness.

After this experience I am actually looking forward even more to the Rochefort 6, which I have just discovered is suuposedly "hard to acquire." I have to thank John's Grocery in Iowa City for giving me, who lives in the middle of nowhere Iowa, the chance to drink such finely crafted and rare Belgian brews.

---
Second Experience: 5.0 / 5

After a new batch of this came in (the first batch imported to the US since by Merchant du Vin as opposed to Shelton Bros), my judgement has changed. This beer knocks the socks off of any other beer I've ever tasted. Has a nice bubblegummy taste and aroma with a plethora of fruity esters. Just the perfect balance between sweet, dry, and bitter. Just enough alcohol punch to get you a nice buzz without going overboard. By the way, it seems much less boozy this time through to the point where it is damn near chuggable. I must stock up on this stuff.

4.05/5  rDev -10%

Pours with a large off-white head that dissipates to a smaller lingering head, leaving no laing behind. A fairly clear dark brown with a bit of orange highlights.

Just a slight hop bouquet under a roasted coffee, chocolate aroma. A nice yeasty undertone to this one.

Flavor is composed of sweet malts dark fruits, especially prunes, figs and dark cherries. lots of molasses backbone and finishes really warm form the alcohol.

Good carbonation level and fairly heavy bodied, definitely not your session ale here.

Excellent ale, just a bit heavy on the alcohol, not hidden very well.

3.36/5  rDev -25.3%

what a find, and a steal for 5 bucks, or so i thought.

appearance was brown with a nice size head that stuck around for a bit (with the help of a vigourous pour). i was careful to leave the yeast in the bottle and save it for later.

aroma was of mild caramel malts, nothing special. hopefully the taste is where it's all at.

taste is a bit spicy, and malty. very muddled and lactic flavour profile. tastes like an average belgian, but nothing great.

drinkability was a bit low, since i kept thinking that i would rather be drinking something that tastes good.

i love belgians, and so i'm hoping this was a bad bottle or that perhaps <gasp> my taste was off today. maybe i will try it again but from a different source.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a nice little 330mL bottle into an oversized wine glass (closest to a chalice that I had). Pours a swampy, muddy deep brown with a mild sticky brown tinged head. Smells of apples, a little baker's chocolate, and a tiny bit of... sweet tarts.
As for the taste... well... I actually don't think my vocabulary is developed enough to really describe everything going on here. A full tingling sensation hits the tongue, and a full, dusky roasted character socks me in the jaw; like a combination of toast, burnt marshmallow, coffee, chocolate, and toffee. Then a little burn and belly warming as it goes down. Then you notice a tiny bit of sweetness. How did they balance all this stuff in there?
I get interrupted for a phone call while trying this one, and it strikes me as I go back to it 5 minutes later- I'm STILL tasting the last sip.

All I can really say, is 'Oh, my gawd....Wow' when describing this one. I think I agree that it needs to be at proper temperature- there's too much going on here that you don't want to miss. I certainly think this deserves to be paired with a very special meal. I do think that EVERYONE, no exceptions, must try this at least once in your life; my advice is: go slow....
The only think I can really ding it on is drinkability; even though the 11%+ alcohol is hidden pretty well, there is just a little harshness that comes through. Nothing that should steer anyone away from having this on their 'best beers' list.

4.77/5  rDev +6%

I didn't have this one for a very long time. Quite a rendez-vous, it was a lot better even than the last time I recall drinking it. I made sure I had it on exactly the right temperature though, wich is crucial when drinking this beer. It really loses a lot of it's character if it's served too cold, and it becomes too sweet and overpowering if it's served too warm.

This one pours a murky dark brown brew with an attractive, medium-sized head that drops to a foamy layer after a couple of minutes.
The initial smell is very sweet and fruity. Lots of banana's, as well as raisins, orange peel, plums and wine-like notes.
The second sniff revealed some caramel aroma's and some faint bitterness as well.
The taste starts of pretty sweet and fruity. Dark fruits, banana, roasted malts and caramel dominate the taste that finally flows out in a spicy, mildly bitter, hoppy finish. You can feel the high alcohol content rather than taste it. The beer really warms the throat and tummy. The brew itself doesn't have too much carbonation, but is thick, creamy and smooth. This makes for an excellent mouthfeel. The drinkabillity is good considering this is an 11,3% brew, still the high ABV is not to be underestimated. I think having two or three of these would get you as drunk as a cannonball.

In my opinion, this beer is a little better than the St. Bernardus 12. Like my brother said, it is a bit 'like drinking liquid applepie'. A magnificent brew.

I will have to admit at first try I was not very impressed with this one. I read all the reviews and thought that this had to be better so I went out and bought alot more of them. I found out that with this and all other trappist beers you have to be really careful at which temperature you serve this at. Ounce I got that down I found the dark appearance rather inviting. After talking to many belgium people at the different festivals I found that many of them like this it's just what they call a beerwine. So I took that to heart and treated it like wine before every drink I will swish it around and smell it, for me that is enough, I'm in love. The taste is phenomenal with just that right bitter taste that from much research comes from the water. The fruitiness of this is bar none only to westvleteren which also has a distinct fruity taste. For convenience though I stick with rochefort. For anyone looking for a top notch beer that will surprise them from aroma till aftertaste this is a must have.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

Wow, this beer had me on the first sip. I first noticed the subdued fruity character and how it's well supported by caramel-like sweetness. The carbonation is a little light, but fizzy enough for a little panache. There are some floral characters as the taste emerges as well as some much appreciated bitterness.

I'd go on to say some more, but I think I'm going to savour the rest of this drink.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

33 cl. October 14, 2008 freshness date. Purchased at Shawan Liquors in Hunt Valley, MD. 65 degrees.

The beer is dark brown with some red with lingering sediment running about the glass. The chunky, bubbly cream-colored head dissipates slightly but is retained in about a 2mm thickness throughout the drink. Lacing is present and sturdy but not overwhelming. Carbonation is certainly evident upon first sip but its run over with a rummage of caramel, paper early, yeast, fruitiness, and tempered hops. The smell is as busy as the taste. Taste is light spice, molasses, raisin, maybe plum. “The 10” is eminently creamy smooth and drinkable considering its ABV. Goodness. Top shelf. Beer heaven. Praise the Belgian monks.

This is one great Trappist creation. In fact of all the Trappist beers, this is my favorite. The moment that bottle is opened and the dark, almost black, brew hits the chalice, I would swear that I've made it to heaven. I love smooth, malty, fruity, caramely, high ABV Belgian browns and a Rochefort 10 has all of this. If you're a hop head, or a pale ale fan stay away. If Coors Light is your main staple, dial 911 first. Some may say that this one is too sweet or too strong. The fizz water people might even say that it doesn't taste like any 'beer' that they've ever had. ( Hint: Carbonated horse urine isn't beer.) That's a good thing. That means there's more for me and everyone else who have a clue.
If I'm ever stranded on a desert island and I run across that proverbial magic lamp, here's my three wishes...

1. Westy 12
2. Rochefort 10
3. Don't tell anyone I'm here.

4.08/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a deep brown color. Smells of chocolate, with a bit of prune and other dried fruit. Taste is nice, although not all that remarkable. There's a little chocolate, with some dried fruit just as in the smell. Very full mouthfeel (this is the best part).

Based on other reviews, not to mention my previous tasting of Rochefort 8 (plus St. Bernardus 12), I'm wondering if I got a bum bottle. Not that this isn't good, it's just that nothing jumps out at me. Based on the price this one, I could get twice the amount of beer for less than twice the cost by buying the St B 12...

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

330ml bottle, best before 04/03/08.

I have had several bottles of this over the past year, but this is the first time I’ve tried to describe it.

Pours out cloudy murky dark brown with a 1" head.
Head receads to a thin cap atop this glorious brew.
Lacing coats the glass in a thin sheet.

Aroma is complex, dusty, plummy, raisins, currants, winey, banana, alcohol, with a touch of burnt sugar.

Flavor is sweet, raisin, malt, dark fruits, caramel, all enveloped by a mildly hoppy finish. Alcohol is not detected in the flavor, but it is when it hits the belly.

Like a Cohiba Siglo V, if I could afford to drink this every day I would. For now I’ll settle for once a month

4.58/5  rDev +1.8%

11.2ozer bottle from Garymuchow as part of BIF10. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an Ommegang chalice, formed a 1/2" creany beige head above the whirling burgundy brew. Head hasn't moved in five minutes, and the heavy foam lacing looks great. Interesting fruity, esterous aroma. Taste takes the aroma to another level. Smooth malt character quickly gives way to flavors of banana and other fruits, with a slightly spicy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is tremendous, and drinkability is excellent as well. Scarily drinkable for 11.3%, the alcohol hardly comes out at all, except for the subtle warming after you've had a few mouthfuls. A must try, and revisiting will be inevitable.

4.77/5  rDev +6%

I have been drinking this marvelous brew for a while now, and just now realized that I had never reviewed it. What a terrible mistake. This is on my list of all-time favorites.

Pours a slightly murky brown with slightly purple/red tints (but you really have to look for them) with a medium off-white head (if the right temp) to almost no head (if poured too cold). The aroma is to die for- rich, full of wonderful warm fruitcake bread (the best kind, not the stuff passed from generation to generation), semi sweet, and carmel and toffee and candied fruits. Flavor follows through, but with a wonderful warming alcohol (not overpowering like many strong brews). Mouthfeel is rich- ok, very rich. The best chocolate in the world rich...

Drinkability is a shortcoming, but only because of its ABV. If it wasn't so strong, this would be 5's across the board (but only because it doesn't go to 11)!!! By the way, did I mention that I like this beer?

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort