Trappistes Rochefort 10 | Brasserie de Rochefort

4.4

View: Beers
Ratings: 9,496 |  Reviews: 2,925
4.03/5  rDev -10.4%

A fizzy soda pop sound as I pop the cap.

Appearance: A deep amber chocolate body with a very tight foamy tan head. A weird brown yeasty circle forms in the middle of the head. Looks like the monks sprinkled some cinnamon on top of my beer. Head retention on this is incredible...as I would expect.

Smell: Figs, plums, date bread...all things dark, sweet, and fruity.

Taste: A strong alcohol base with figs, grapes, rum soaked raisins, toffee, and carmel. Maybe some butterscotch. It has some characteristics of a very robust cabarnet in terms of the heaviness of the beer. The alcohol is pretty prominent but seems to mellow through the session. Kind of cool how it changes in character.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth. A definite numbing on the tongue and palate after each sip.

Drinkability: One to be appreciated. The alcohol is a little too prominent for my likes. It does mellow which is cool. Glad I tried it, strongly recommended, but for the price I probably won't be back anytime soon.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

I hate to give anything a perfect score (I believe that everything can be inproved because God or goddess, whatever you believe in, is the only perfect creator). I gave this one the closest score to perfect as I could because I find it hard to figure out how to improve it (and the monks have devine intervention, being that they are close to God). I wish that I could give 4.9's instead of 4.5's.

With that, let's go on to the review:

A: a wonderful amber to brown in color. A nice head when poured that quickly went to a thin layer above the top of the liquid.

S: a bit of sweetness entered my nose with light undertones of hops. Seems kinda mild for a 11.3 beer, but is very pleasing. No alcohol smell.

T: OMG! Way too smooth to be a 11.3% abv. If I hadn't read the label, I'd have a hard time believing that it was that high octane. No medicine type taste due to the alcohol, I assume due to Belgian candy sugar. Lightly hoppy and very smooth (did I say that already?).

M: The one word that keeps coming to mind is smooth (and WOW), but it describes the mouthfeel as well as any word that I can eminate. The candy sugar must be hiding the alcohol, because it's not coming out in the mouthfeel or the taste.

D: Sweet and fruity, but quite balanced without too much of anything and without too little of anything. I like this beer so much that we brewed 10 gallons to try to emulate it (it should be ready in about 4 weeks). I just hope that we can get anywhere close to where these monks have taken us.

By the way, did I say this beer was smooth?

3.87/5  rDev -14%

Rochefort 10 sits ominously in my Chimay chalice, a murky dark brown, a small skim of of bubbles on the top and a pretty ring around the edges. I always find it hard to begin drinking big beers like this--it's a challenge and I fear I'll be found wanting. Oh well, judgement time. It smells spicy, with prominent licorice, prunes, and raisins. The flavor is similar to the nose, with a little hoppiness and a bit of a medicinal quality. Big, thick mouthfeel. I like the 8 better, but as Quadrupels go, this is better than the Allagash Four I had recently.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%

My first actual review - tired of lurking. I picked up a bottle at Hy-Vee's Wine & Spirits store in Cedar Falls. I'm impressed with their expanded selection, but the freshness of off-brands is sometimes suspect. Anyway, I bought this on a lark. I wanted to try a trappist ale but didn’t know one from the other. So I grabbed the last Rochefort 10 on the shelf. My theory was that the good ones sell fastest (okay – that’s stupid, but I was in a hurry).

A: I gave this bottle a gentle pour into the closest appropriate glassware I could find, a heavy glass chalice… emblazon with the word ‘Michelob’ on its side (doh!). For the sake of respect of Trappist Ales of any type, I turned the label on the glass so it could not gaze upon the bottle. As I poured, it foamed up right away without effort and the light brown colored head remained for almost the entire time it remained in the glass. Not overly carbonated – excellent retention.

S: Nothing incredible regarding smell. There was a good release of a sweet hoppy smell when the bottle was opened, but that was all. In the glass, things were pretty reserved. Some sweetness to the nose, but very mild overall.

T: Okay, this is what moved me into actually making a review. This was different than almost any beer that I’d had up to this point. The flavor was very bold and pronounced, yet absolutely smooth. Not overly sweet, no rough edges, no strong hop bitterness. It was like one of those huge dogs that loves kids: The capability to bite my head off but no desire to do so, it just wanted to cuddle up to me. One major minus to note was that the high ABV was very evident in the aftertaste. Probably the only negative thing I’ll say, but it does stand out. Perhaps the Rochefort 8 is more my style?

M: A real good mouthfeel. Heavy but smooth. Very well done. As you take a sip, your lips constantly cut through a thin, smooth layer of tight foam that adds to the experience.

D: Are you kidding? I may have to ask the store manager if financing is available, but I will definitely be having this again. Like almost everyone has stated: This is a must try beer if you get the chance.
EDIT: Next time I'll be brief - the ABV must have gotten to me.

4.95/5  rDev +10%

Undoubtedly one of the best beers ever made. Such complexity, flavor, boldness, and so much togetherness; this beer ranks right there with the Westvleterns and St. Bernardus Abt. 12's of the world.

The murky brown liquid pours into the brandy snifter with a turbulant and froathy pour. An airy, lightly tanned head shows sprinkles of yeast and spices. The beer settles with a half-inch head and laced well as the beer magically disappeared. Despite the rusty and sediment rich pour, the beer has a nice appearance.

Cotton candy sweetness hits the nose with a lot of fruitiness, spiciness, and with a chocolatey, vineous hint that keeps my head spinning. The nose promises complexity immediately.

Malty richness of barley sugars, caramels, and toffee set the tone. Quickly a toasty, chocolatey flavor accompanies the malts and a rich concoction of sweetness begins to emerge. Fruitiness of berries, grapes, dates, figs, plumbs, and apples quickly give a balance and needed variety to the sweet malt taste. A light hint of barrel aged woods make a minor impact later with mild tang and mustiness on the mouth. A confectionate and complex reward to the tongue.

Initial powder-sugar textures develop quickly into a well-malted, well-rounded beverage. Full and suculant textures allow the acidic fruit notes and light hop bitterness to settle the beer and calm the sweetness. Finishes with a dry, well-attenuated, airy finish. For such sweetness, the beer leaves very little residual sweetness on the mouth.

Certainly a desert beer, but not one that relies soley on sweetness. The beer continues to develop with each successive sip and as the beer warms. Remarkably easy to drink seeing how malt dominant the beer shows. A magical beer that defies modern brewing logic.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy dark brown with a tan head, which quickly diminished to a thin layer of foam. Aroma of raisins, prunes, and sweet apples. The flavor is definitely complex - the different flavors this went through as it warmed was pretty impressive. It seemed every time I took a sip, I tasted a new flavor. Spicy / peppery / yeasty flavor was present throughout. Absolutely no alcohol harshness - I was amazed to see this beer was 11.3 ABV - just a nice warming effect A must try.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer pours a dark brown. Pour it gently. The past 2 bottles I have had foamed up very quickly when poured (both settled and at the right temp.). The head leaves moderately heavy lacing on the glass.

The smell has hints of fruit flavors. The taste confirms this with plums and figs coming to mind. There are layers of complex flavors to this beer, and a nice balance with the malt and hops. Overall an incredible tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is smooth as can be with a little alcohol coming through.

Drinkability is lowered by ABV, and the fact that you will go broke if you try to session this stuff.

Everyone should try this beer if they get a chance. Outstanding.

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

I feel like I should be drinking outdoors, in the northwoods, sitting on a pile of recent pine bark shavings or on a farm, amid the crackle of cornstalks and the notion of autumn or in a coffeeshop, under the tumult of progressive poetry. Is this beer or a connection? The heady aromas of kirschwasser and chocolate creme and stone corridors aren't enough to alert the rest of the senses to the experience of tense honey and herbs. It reminds me of sharing warm times with friends, of rainy winter days wrapped in a comforter with my beloved. Beyond beer it seems.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

I am sampling a chilled bottle at room temp in a snifter. The beer pours a rich chocolate brown with some chestnut on the edges. A soft fluffy beige head foams up 3 cm easily. Aroma is chocolate and molasses with some dark fruit, plums and raisins. the head leaves some tight lattice as it fades.
First sip reveals a smooth silky body and mild carbonation that is almost non-existant. Flavor is sweet from start with toffee, brown sugar, raisins, and red grape these all mix nicely. There is a bit of peppery hot alcohol on the finish that makes the beer a bit of a sipper. A nice rich beer, just dont try to drink it too fast!

4.2/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a rich, woody brown with a big, tan head that drops to 1/4" film and leaves no lace.
Smell is malt, dark fruit, hops and spices.
Taste is malt, dark fruit, spice, hops, wood and alcohol.
Full bodied, smooth and oh so warming in the mouth and throat.
A beer with great balance and complexity. Definitely recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: Poured into a tulip glass a hazy dark reddish-brown with a large, light tan, foamy head with good retention and thick lacing.

Smell: Nice sweet candi, alcohol, herbs, dark fruit, and... there’s something rather luxurious about the aroma. And there’s a unique scent in there I can’t quite put my finger on. Almost like sandalwood? In any case it’s marvelous

Taste: Alcohol and sturdy malts are present as soon as it touches the tip of the tongue, followed by fruit, clove and a cookie-like sweetness that’s marvelous. The sweetness sticks around for quite a while before letting a very light floral bitterness take over in medium-long finish.

Mouthfeel: So wonderful, near perfection. A chewy, full body with not too much carbonation.

Drinkability: I made the mistake of taking this one out of the fridge and having some of it a few minutes after, and of course I wasn’t too impressed. It was too cold and all of the characteristics were muted with the exception of an herbal, alcoholic harshness. When I realized what was wrong, I set it aside for a little while and let it warm up a bit, and it was practically a different beer. I then understood why this beer is rated so highly. Sure, it’s pricey, but you get what you pay for. And it’s a small price to pay for an occasional luxurious treat like this.

4.79/5  rDev +6.4%

33cl bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $7.29 (those wacky Jim's prices...). Freshness date on bottle, but it is obscured due to the fact that the rear label was placed on the bottle in a fashion so that it overlaps the main, "front" label.

Pours a very dark brown color, with a light brown shade showing at the edges when held up to the light. Moderate, light tan head & moderate lace.

Smells very tasty indeed once it warms up a little. Dark fruit, candy sugar, molasses, and alcohol all make their presence felt. When a beer smells like this, you just know it's going to taste fantastic!

This is the tastiest beer I've had in a long time. The prune-like dark fruit flavor strikes home pretty much the same time as the candy sugar sweetness is detected, creating an excellent balance that sees neither sweet nor bitter from spinning out of control. There's also subtle peppery notes lending a subdued spiciness to the proceedings. The warming alcohol is very noticeable, as one would expect from a beer of this strength, but it's not overbearing. God, what a tasty beer!

This isn't as thick a beer as it's amount of flavor would indicate, but I would still call it a full bodied beer. Carbonation was spot on.

A fantastic sipper, I enjoyed this after a particularly long workday. While this is eminently drinkable, you'd be nuts (and well-off, financially) to session-drink this one. The abv would definitely kick your ass. Still, it's an excellet after dinner beer, or a treat after a long, trying day.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Two fingers of dense, large-bubbled tan foam cap a mahagony body sporting ruby-red ridges. The nose is rich with plums, apricots, aromatic yeast, and alcohol phenols.

Entry is sharp with prickly carbonation and a multi-layered, full mouthfeel. Midtaste begins with plum, dark cherries, and earthy malts imparting a biscuity feel. The finish spikes with slightly acidic dried fruits and closes with a beautiful yeast fade. The throat practically glows from the 11.3% ABV.

Simply wonderful and worthy of being ranked among the top five beers in the world!

3.88/5  rDev -13.8%

Butterd toffee and chocolate, cherries, currants and alcohols. Opaque brown with little head. I get a lot of alcohol. Probalby bacuase the best before date is in 2009. Fairly sweet with some of the dark fruit character. I think its pretty thin and there is quite a bit of burn. It hangs around a bit and kind of stings the back or my throat. I think I’ll go get a couple more bottles and re rate later. Ther price here wasn’t too bad. $5.99 a bottle.

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a deep brown with a tan head that sticks around for a while leaving some good lacing.

The aroma on this one is a little more mellow in comparison to the 6 and 8 but it is still very good. It like the 6 and 8 have a lot of dark fruit aroma only this one is a little more subtle.

The taste is also of dark fruits like figs and raisins and also of molasses. There is definately some alcohol presence in this beer as well. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with medium/moderate carbonation.

I would say this is a great beer and I highly recommend it. One of the better beers I've had.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

A purdy ale in my St. Bernardus glass. A dark reddish brown ale with some murkiness from those lovely yeasties, lovely. The aroma took me off guard a little bit, I expected the nose to have some alcohol to the nose, I mean it is 11.3%, but man I got the first wiff of sweet candy sugars but then the alcohol burned its way in to my nostrils. The sweetness hits my tongue like Ike Turner. I can detect raisins and what seems like brown sugar and caramel battling it out too, but the alcohol quickly soothes all of the activity. This puppy coats your mouth wonderfully. The flavors really pick up as this dude warms, I am glad that I am taking my time with this one. The alcohol makes drinkability an issue but overall I am happy with my first Rochefort experience.

4.63/5  rDev +2.9%

Well, finally took the plunge and tried this a little while back. Surely wasn't disappointed.

Dark brown pour with slight tan head. Many slightly hidden aromas from this one, with lots of sweet malt and maybe a little coffee, many types of prune-fig like fruit, and some alchohol. One of the nicer, lesser pronounced smelling beers I've had in a while.

Superb layering of flavors, which lends to why this beer always ranks so well - there's something here for everyone, and not much that will drive folks away. Chocolates, toffee, sweet caramel/almost butterscotch...winey like flavors appear as beer warms, and really begins to take on a whole second life. Yummy!

At between six and eight dollars a bottle, I won't be drinking this all that often, but I look forward to enjoying maybe 6 a year.

3.8/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I was rather excited to finally try this guy- been thinking about it for a while, and finally splurged on it. Looks deep deep dark brown, with a light tan head, no light getting through this. Smell is raisiny, light, sweet. Not as deep as I wanted it to be.

Taste is... not bad. But not living up to the hype. Raisiny, sweet, pruney. Alcohol is extremely well hidden. Mouthfeel is bubbly, medium-bodied, feels good. Pretty drinkable, but overall too sweet to be extremely drinkable. I liked this better when it warmed up, but overall I was disappointed. Perhaps I got a young bottle- who knows. Still, a good beer, and very sneaky at 11 percent.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Deep brown and hazy with a medium tan head that leaves generous lace on the chalice and sticks around til the bitter end. Complex, warm aroma with lots of malt (caramel and toffee), a deep fruitiness, and vinous alcohol, but it still stays fairly soft and mellow. Wonderful flavours as well, with the caramel and toffee maltiness joined by a light roasted character. Ripe fruit as well as a bit of chocolate (mainly as it warms) and sugary sweetness. Finishes with plenty of alcohol warmth. Full body and high carbonation to start, but this reduces quickly. Airy texture with a drying and slightly grainy texture. This is fast becoming my favourite line of trappist beers. Excellent complexity and balance, big flavours yet still remains mellow. A joy to enjoy.

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

Opaque, dark leather-like color with dirty-yellow carbonation that fades a little too quickly. Looking down from the top, tiny bubbles roil-up through a syrupy mass.

Strong carmelized sugars, sweet rum and raisins in the aroma. Resembles a tawny port. This aroma starts nice after the pour, but as the brew warms, aromas come together especially well.

Amazing dose of flavors, including raisins, molasses and a little sour fruit. A nice hint of finishing hops scrubs everything up for the next sip. A moderate hit of alcohol slammed me at the end of each drink. Some might find a bit overwhelming, but I enjoyed it and didn't find it out of whack. Hard to complain about a quadrupel noting some alcohol.

Mouthfeel is perfect, coats the entire palate with fruity flavor, only to rapidly fade away. This perfection makes it difficult to not drink too fast.

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: A classic Belgian pour with a massive head topping the coffee colored liquid; the head refuses to fade and leaves swathes of lacing

Smell: A veritable basket of fruit - apples, pears, bananas combined with a bit of vanilla, milk chocolate, bubblegum and some balsa wood

Taste: A most unusual blend of smooth orchard fruit flavors, some wood and tobacco, and a touch of bubblegum for starters; about half way through, you pick up some bitterness and more tobacco flavors; the finish is dry with some alcoholic warming

Mouthfeel: Creamy and full-bodied; with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Extraordinarily smooth with so much going on

4.15/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured a very dark brown with a 2 inch head that slowly faded to a thin cap that stuck around, and nice lacing.

Smells of sweet spiced plums/prunes and a little cherry, candied sugar and a touch of caramel.

Taste is sweet and slightly chocolatey, with dark fruits, alcohol and a little bit medicinal. Very rich and smooth.

This is definitely a beer to savor.

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%

Very nice. So much going on in this beer. No idea even where to begin and do it justice. Pours very black, with almost a purpish tinge. Color of liquid toffee. Slight head with some heavy carbonation. But that carbonation receded upon sipping to feel heavy and soothing on the palate. Extremely full and broad feel to this flavor. Whole lot of things happening in the flavor. Very candy like--toffee, caramel, chocolate, and mounds of Belgian sugars. Yeast is very prevalent too and provides a very nice plum flavor. Aroma is more of the plums. Alcohol is also quite strong but does nto detract from the drinkability because this beer is so full of flavor.

4.63/5  rDev +2.9%

One of the world's greatest beers. No question.

One of my favorite things about this beer is its lively, active carbonation. It's very unique to have a beer of this strength to have the champagne-like carbonation of a hefe-weizen. It leads to awesome head retention and amazing drinkability.

This beer is just way too complex to try to distill its qualities into words. You have to experience it yourself. You won't be disappointed.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Everybody deserves a treat at the end of a long, tiresome week. For me tonight, it's none other than a classic trappist quad. Let's drink.

Served in a Watou oversize wine glass, with the utmost respect. Drink by date reads 04 03 09.

Appearance- Pours a deep chestnut brown with a fantastic, thick head that lingers for more than five minutes. Lacing is superb, excellent cling. The bubbles are the smallest I have ever seen floating atop a beer, with amazing structure. This looks heavy, like it weighs more than 11 oz.

Smell- Figs, leather, alcohol, new shoes. Abandoned building. Spicy dark candied fruit, soaked for ages to bring out their full aromas. Doctor's office. Faint smoke notes after sitting for twenty minutes now. Then comes a sweet rum cake character after the thirty minute mark. This is still going, changing back to alcohol and leather with the soaked figs in the background. Amazing, and fun as hell.

Taste- Liquid dark fruit, fully aged and spiced to perfection. Rich malt backbone that anchors the complexities of the carnival going on inside the mouth. Alcohol is well hidden in the taste, but far more obvious to my fine motor skills. Absolutely wonderful.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Slick and viscous, with aromatic and gustatory qualities that beg to be savored. Everything a trappist quadrupel could ever hope to one day become.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort