Trappistes Rochefort 10 | Brasserie de Rochefort

4.4

View: Beers
Ratings: 9,484 |  Reviews: 2,923
4.38/5  rDev -2.7%

This beer poured from the bottle a slightly hazy medium brown/dark amber in color. It was topped by a thick, clumpy tan head that retained for more than 10 minutes in my glass. The nose has bread dough up front followed by spice (coriander/allspice a hint of white pepper). It has layers of citrus (grapefruit/orange/lemon), and is finished by figs and dates from the malt. The taste has more of the bread dough followed quickly by the spice and citrus. The citrus combines with the malt in the flavor to produce red wine like flavors. Dark berries, plums, accompanied by slight alcohol warming. Wow! Amazing flavor, much more than even the nose indicated. Slick, lightly heavy mouth feel, decent drinakbility.

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

Picked up a 33cl bottle back in March for $7.42. Been saving the Trappistes for awhile now and it is now go time!

Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights with plenty of yeast sediment. Head is tan and initially large but quickly turns to a small sustained head. Nose is a medley of sugar, spice and everything nice including dark fruits and chocolate. The taste is one of the most complex beers I have ever had. The flavors are all over the board. Flavors noted include candied sugar, bananas, hint of pepper, dark fruits, finishing with a nice dry hop. Mouthfeel is creamy and full with a high amount of carbonation to light up the palate even more. Overall drinkability is near perfect. The only mark against this brew is the high ABV warms me up a bit too much after each taste. But nonetheless this is the 2nd best beer I have sampled yet!

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%

The beer is deep rich chocolate brown colour with faint ruby highlights when held to the light. Light strains to get through the hazy liquid and the yeast in suspension. A generous spongy foam head built up initially only to leave in a hurry, however, leaving behind sizeable spots of brussels lace.

As would be expected of a Belgian Trappist, the yeast and its byproducts dominate the aromas. Fruity and peppery notes strike up front and slowly move aside to let mild spice, malt and breadlike aromas surface. The entire aroma profile is gentle and very harmonious.

Very round and fleshy (??) brew leaving the drinker with the impression that he has just eaten rather than drank the beer. That is how full bodied this beer seemed to me. Flavours mimic the aromas and are dominated by fruity and yeasty notes. However, the malt permeates much more in the flavours than it does in the aromas, lending the beer more balance. Hints of spices and cocoa do manifest themselves near the end along with a mild alcoholic bitterness, giving the beer a balanced and complex flavour profile that is as harmonious as the aromas.

This is one of my favourite trappists along with Orval.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

33cl Bottle from www.onlyfinebeer.com

Poured a dark red / brown colour. Quite a thick head with fine beading - creamy / brown in colour. Nice thin layer lasted until the end...

Aroma of candied sugar, caramel, cookies and prunes. Smell of alcohol quite noticable too..

Taste – Raisin, liquorice, plum, dark fruit and black treacle. Nice warming kick from the alcohol..

Mouthfeel - very smooth - quite creamy. Not too heavy...

Overall - an exceptional brew. Would be in my top 10...

3.1/5  rDev -31.1%

I almost feel bad, the beer I reviewed before this one was the mighty Westy 12, so my review may be a bit skewed as I'm still thinking about that heavenly brew...
A: Dark brown, maybe some faint ruby highlights. Thinnish tan head. Lots of sediment in the glass, even with an uber careful pour.

S: Poured this into my Chimay chalice, I think I may have done it a disservice, seems like a tulip glass might better bring the nose out. Smells, hmm. Spicy. Strong smell of alcohol at first. There's a nice smell like a kitchen where sugar cookies are finished baking. That's nifty. Strong rum soaked fruit. Darkly rich malts (I don't know what that means, either, but that's the phrase my brain spewed forth).

T: Hot alcohol flash. Spicy. I don't know, this doesn't seem to be all that great. Leaves a bit of an unpleasant lingering whiskey-like aftertaste.

M: Too hot. The alcohol warmth of the Westy was like a light kiss on the cheek, this beer's warmth is like an angry school marm cracking my knuckles with a ruler. Moderate to high level of carbonation. Full body.

D&N: I gotta say, this one isn't doing anything for me. This one is fairly easy to get a hold of for me, but I don't think I'll be buying this one again.
Edit: D/199

4.59/5  rDev +2%

Second review of this beer. Virtually no head this time around. Odd. Same pour, same glass. Still, a good Belgian lace develops.
Just as flavorful and robust as I remember. Cherries, prunes, banana, and dark chocolate are the most prominent flavors this round. This beer scores a solid 4.5 for taste and double 5's for mouthfeel and drinkability. Simply a wonderful brew. Only disappointment is the lack of initial head.

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a 33cL bottle dated 04-08-09 into a snifter. Swirled the bottle and added the yeast.
Appearance is dark brown with a nice thick head that dissipates into a thin layer after a few minutes. Looks awesome.
Smell is dark molasses, spice, dark fruits. A bit of candied sugar comes through.
Taste is spicy alcohol at the forefront, followed up with roasty malt bitterness. Very dry in the finish.
Mouthfeel is nice and thick, with low carbonation.
Goes down very easy, despite the high alcohol content.
All in all, an outstanding beer. Enjoyed it with some Cotswold cheese and was not disappointed.

4.27/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a dark cloudy chestnut with a wide frothy head that settles into a thin ring. Aroma has a lot of elements of raisins, candy sugar, toasted malts and a very light fruit. Swirl the snifter and the head reconstitutes with a trace of banana.

Taste is a sticky, sweet malt rum. Elements of dark macerated fruit, tea and some sharp hop bitterness, a variety of which I'm uncertain. Dry caramel malt, dark grainy, bready flavors like a whole rye or pumpernickel. Finish is dry with slight shades of yeast and a little apple or pear. (Fresh fruit elements become more noticeable as it reaches room temperature.) Not a trace of alcohol in the profile.

Mouthfeel is medium with enough biting carbonation to keep it clean. Reminds me more of a Belgian strong dark ale than a quad. I would love to try this fresh on tap, my rating would probably be higher than the small bottle. Many thanks to futaboots for rescuing a bottle for me.

Rochfort has sweet aromas of brown sugar and ripe fruits- plums and dates- I also detect some chocolate and liquorice there and the alcohol you would expect of a beer of this strength. Full bodied and lightly spiced with a dry vinous finish. alcohol well concealed. this gets better every time i drink it, it completely blows me away. My first perfect score.

4.44/5  rDev -1.3%

A dark brownish ale with a shy tiny midget head, not much of retention at all!

Smell is simply fantastic, long time I did not have a beer with such complex nose. Very fruity, cherry, malty, caramel notes, shy notes of chocolate, with a finish touch of alcohol.

Her taste is very fruity, very cherry actually, the alcohol is present and you can taste it, quite smooth, a sourness is present that comes with the cherry like flavours and a tiny bit bitter.

It was nice !

Bottle obtained from John's Grocery (Iowa City) in June 2005 and consumed later that evening. Pours a 1 finger light-brown head over a dark ruby red liquid. Smells sugar sweet, alcohol, caramel, raisin...all this just during the pour. To the nose I get chocolate, toffee, raisin, pera, coriander, gentle orange, and the alcohol is very mild. My word that was amazing. How about a taste. Licorice, toffee, chocolate with a nice alcohol sting that is in line with the sweet and works well with the plethora of flavors that assault my mouoth. Rummy and caramel, brown sugar. Tastes like a warm sweet muffin with melted brown sugar trickled on each bite. Thick mouthfeel and mildly carbonated. There is no lacing on the inside of the glass, but there is a thin film of head that lasted all the way to the very last taste.

Phenomenal. Truly the most incredible and complex beer I've ever had. Just an amazing barrage of flavors, each standing noticable, but none towering over the others dominantly. The flavors work well together, chasing each other and blending into each other, only to re-emerge as a subtly redefined version of their prior selves.

4.15/5  rDev -7.8%

App: Deep brown with fluffy chocolate colored head. Laced entire glass.

Smell: Phenols, and malt. Light coffee and molasses. Caramel also with a healthy dose of alcohol.

Taste: Deep and very malty and phenolic. Alcohol very present, almost out of balance. Brown sugar and molasses taste with a nutty aftertaste. Very good, but a little heavy in the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Seemed a bit lighter than other quads, and carbonated a bit more, but it worked.

Drink: Just alright at 11.3% abv.

Overall: I thought this beer was definitely solid, but it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. To me I prefer St. Bernardus. I thought the alcohol was a bit out of balance in this beer and that caused me to downgrade it slightly. Believe me I like high abv. beers as much as anyone, i just thought it "stuck out" to me above all other flavors. I may have served it on the warm side though, so I'll give it another shot soon. I'd still recommend it though and would search it out to try it.

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Simply, a wonderful beer, and by far, my favorite to date. I am very sensitive to carbonation and this delicious brew has just enough for flavor, feel and complexity, but not too much to mess with my system.

I started with a purchase of two, which I've drunk in only four days. I am ordering twelve more, yes expensive, but well worth the pleasure.

I find this beer similiar to St. B's Abt 12, which is also one of my favorites.

I am quite new to the "high-brow" beer drinking experience, and am very grateful for everyone's insight here.

Thanks!

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured into a goblet a dark brown haze, heavy in suspended particulates, very pale brown at the edges in the light. Nose is brown sugar, raisins, and malty alcohol. Taste is malt and alcohol. I love these big beers that have a sweet whiskey feel on the tongue. Dark fruit, molasses, and an alcohol finish make this a delicious concoction. Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I would like, but doesn't detract from the experience. If it weren't for the damned ABV, I'd sit and drink beers like this all night. Excellent.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

This king of Quads gracefully fills my goblet with a deep chestnut brown brew, the densely thick off white head retains very well, eventually settling to a lacey veil that will remain to the end. Lacing is as thick as it comes.

The aroma is a Heavenly perfume ripe with notes of black cherry, apricot, pear, gingery spice, and dried fig. It is filled with dark caramel, toffee, and brown sugar sweetness and has a hop note of floral and spice. As others have noted, there is a distinct nuttiness to it that melds well with the creamy caramel in it. This is one of those beers that you must breath in for a full five minutes before sampling, wow.

A sip reveals a superbly crafted ale overflowing with flavors of dark cherries, apricot, tropical fruit, toasted almonds, coconut, berries, cocoa, molasses, yeasty spice and floral hops. There is so much going on here I can barely keep up.

The mouthfeel is absolutely lush and creamy with a huge body supported by fine trickles of carbonation. Each sip gets better than the one before, amazing. This is by far the best Quad I've ever had and one of the finest beers period. It just doesn't get any better than this.

As always, thanks for sharing Gabe.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Decided to spring for this because a freind was leaving for L.A. until december.($6.99 for 33 cl) let it warm for about 20 minutes before pouring.

color is quite amazing, an opaque orange caramel color. it looks like you should be able to see through it but you can't. little bit of caramel colored head that deminishes but retains a thin layer.

smells like chocolate and apricots or rasins. also has a hint of alcohol.

goes down very well. starts of sweet and slightly fruity and finishes with chocolate and alcohol flavor. as it warms, any harshness disapers and is delightful to drink.

don't drink it cold. it says on the bottle to drink between 54-58 degrees, but it is fine even warmer than that. i couldn't drink more than one or two in a sitting but definately awsome to have on special occasions.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle dated for use by 04-08-09. Pours a dark depp brown with a extremely bubbly head that dissipates to nothing in no time at all. Aroma is very enticing--hints of dark rum, cherries, pepper, raisins, chocolate, plums. Taste is absolutely wonderful--- thick molasses like malts mixed with peppery spices and a warming alchohol sensation. Mouthfeel is full and thick, just coating your mouth with the flavorful goodness. This is one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%

19.05.09

appearance: darkest of the three... brown as brown can be, approaching black in the center of my cup. not much foam. not any foam. a slight crown around the chalice's edge. the most clear of the three, and similar in appearance to WV12 and abt12. lacing is very thin and gets crunchy really fast. as always, bad-ass rochefort label kicks the appearance up a notch.

aroma: lighter on malt with big dark fruit up front. winey. sugar and campfire follow through. clean aroma for something so deep and complex.

taste: bitter dark malts hit you like a brick. finish is smooth thanks to the richer figgy notes. mouthfeel matches with a hefty luxury... like pureed fruit. approaching cognac in its caramel-meets-alcohol-sting-in-wood complexity. a sipper and perfect for near-room temperature. remarkable how something this sweet lacks that yeasty tartiness. it does, its an achievement.

Appearance: Deep amber in color, with a small off-white head, excellent broken lacing, with scattered patches of sticky foam. The head lingers reaching toward eternity. Best if used by date is 04-08-09.

Aroma: Quite pronounced aroma of caramel and toffee, hazelnuts, alcohol, and earth. The hazelnut character is quite pronounced. Somehow or the aroma other this vaguely reminds me of a 5th Avenue candy bar - in a quite positive connotation.

Taste: Once again, the hazelnuts seem quite dominant, there is also cocoa, and an earthy character. A rich malt character is present from start to finish. The close of the taste is tart and very, very dry, with a lingering earthy note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, rich, very full, almost syrupy, with only faint carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An overwhelmingly superb beer, which challenges my powers of description. Quite likely the best beer I have ever had.

Thanks to HardTarget for generously sharing this stellar beer.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

This is a good brew though it is so darn hard to review. It changes by the sip. This is clearly a sipping beer with some wallop to it.

In appearance it is a cloudy chestnut brown with an abundant off-white head. Abundant coarse carbonation on the chalice sides.

Aroma is mollasses and caramel and sweet malt with slight floral undertones.

Taste is sweet toffee, dark dried fruit and strong alcohol warmth.

Qradrupel beers are sippers, not quaffers. I enjoy them whenever I can. This beer was pricey (5.99 a 11.2 Oz.)but I can now state it is worth the price.

4.18/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I just picked up a bottle of this today, logged in here and saw this review, so I figure I'll give it a shot as well.

I'm an American college student living in London for a while, and this has been my first opportunity to legally purchase beer. Since I don't have to confine myself to the cheapest, easiest to chug then smash on your forehead beers anymore, I've been trying to try a wide variety of different kinds of brews. The idea of exclusive groups of Belgian monks making 'Trappist' beers in their abbeys intrigued me, and I'm trying to sample as many as possible while I'm in Europe. So far I've had Chimay Blue, Westmalle Tripel, and now this Rochefort 10.

Anyway, I don't know anything about reviewing beer, but this is a very good one. It comes off pretty strong, and it's obviously very alcoholic, but it's not harsh at all. It's a rich brown, with a lot of nice tan head initially, and it leaves a nice lacing on my glass, which I admit is not the recommended Trappist chalice. Still, it tastes great, and I can definitely see the coffee and chocolate, and the flavors linger on my tongue for a long time. I dig it.

All in all, well worth the three pounds or so I paid for it, and the long walk across town to get it. Especially when I consider that I'll probably end up paying more than that for a bottle of Budweiser in a bar later tonight. Cheers

This beer is another absolutely flawless beer Rochefort. Even drinking this side by side with the 8 I can't find decide which is better as they are both so perfect in their own ways.

Poures a delecious creamy brown color with tons of thick pillow head.

Smell is a breathtaking variety of smells, with heavy toffee malts mixing with various dark fruits and hints of alcohol.

Taste is just fantastic, so many flavors mixing together so perfectly with just a touch of alcohol flavors.

Mouthfeel is incredibly creamy and full with a nice alcohol warming.

Drinkability is incredible, I have drank several of these over the last couple months and I can't seem to get it enough. I could probably drink this everyday I think and never get sick of it.

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I have been reading so much about this beer, now finally I have the opportunity. Of course dumb-ass, you wouldn't be writing about it if not.

Very basic bottle presentation, just as the Trappist monks. Pours a deep, deep brown, with a very polite head. Instantly you can smell the alcohol, followed closely behind by very earthy tones, cinnamon and forest greens (that doesn't make sense). The taste is definitely the strongest characteristic of this brew, breads, cloves, and something sweet.

Strong brew overall, considering the price it's not "drinkable", but ultimately is. If my typing is any indication at this point you'll come to know the alcohol quite quickly.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle, best before sometime in 2009 (hinting that I shouldn't be drinking it just yet). I shouldn't be rating this, as I am recovering from a cold, however I decided to go ahead anyway because I think the beer has aided in my recovery. Only disappointment in the appearence was the small head. What was there laced pretty well. Deep effervescent chocolate amber colour made up for the disappointing head. Aroma, um, well, big! Spices, toffee, raisins, flowers, alcohol... Taste - um, well, huge! And it needs to be to get in before the alcohol which is considerable and smacks you in the face at the finish. Despite the big, warm, dry, (kinda like Australia) alcoholic finish, the balance remains very good, which is a big achievement. I think this is assisted by the fine carbonation which leads to a lush yet subtle feel. Would love to taste the same batch in 2009 to see what has changed. Think I might head back to the beer shop.

4.49/5  rDev -0.2%

Hooo baby!

Pours a dark brown with a nice head. Dissipated kind of fast. Still, a beauty to behold.

Smells like a friggin' fruit basket. Hints of plum, orange, grapefruit, and prunes.

Tastes beautiful. Sweet, fruity flavor. Definite raisin and prunes. Like the dried fruits I just described, this baby tastes aged and mature. Thick, full bodied, and absolutely delicious. Some yeast notes and a slight bit of spice round out this brew, with a tiny bit of carbonation which only enhances the savory character of it all.

Awesome.