Confession I.P.A. (India Pale Ale) | The Fat Cat Beer Company

Confession I.P.A. (India Pale Ale)Confession I.P.A. (India Pale Ale)
2.65/5
Poor
Confession I.P.A. (India Pale Ale)Confession I.P.A. (India Pale Ale)

The Fat Cat Beer Company

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by Zach136 on 10-01-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by JoeBlevins:
3.25/5  rDev +22.6%

2.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.5/5  rDev +32.1%

3.41/5  rDev +28.7%

Thanks again to the incredible woodychandler for yet another canned beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has an orange/beige color with a 1 inch head. Smell is surprisingly malty, some caramel. Taste is malt forward, hops are present, a bit sweet, different but enjoyable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, not what I would expect from an IPA, but a solid beer.

Overall, not a great IPA but not an awful one either. It's just mediocre but still easy to drink. I do like that it is available in tallboy cans. But other than that, I don't think I'll be getting this bear again. I'm not too sure what's quite lacking, but the IPA flavor I'm used to is off.

2.5/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1.25/5  rDev -52.8%

My recent forays to NorVA and WASDC have enabled me to stop in at Total Wine & More stores in those areas, which is where this stray Fat Cat followed me home from. I told him that he may chase both kitties and mice, but the stogie has to stay outside.

From the CAN: “We ain’t serious about a lotta things, but beer ain’t one of ‘em! ™”; “Verbal Kint Was No Snitch!”; “Drink This Beer With: Steak, Burgers, Onion Rings and Buffalo Wings!”

Hell, I almost don’t care about what is in this CAN! Between a “The Usual Suspects” allusion and use of rhyme, I was sold! I broke out the Drake’s Ring Dings and Fat Cat and I cued up the playlist. He went with The Stray Cats’ “Stray Cat Strut”, natch, while I opted for The English Beat’s “I Confess”.

The Crack! led to the kitty licking my fingers after a spurt came rushing out of the CAN. He may be a Fat Cat, but he is very friendly. Once more, I grabbed him by the tail and held him upside down for an inverted Glug. This did not make him very happy so I had to sit him back down fairly quickly. The pseudo-cascade happened very quickly and converted to three-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head in a trice. Thrice the brinded cat hath mew’d! The Cat’s color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-plus quality clarity. I could see into my future, in which I have a job interview on Tuesday! Nose had a malty sweetness that reminded me of molasses. An English IPA, perhaps? I toasted to the Fat Cat and his CANtinued good health and bade him take that stogie outside! He is such a willful, disobedient kitty that I may not be able to keep him around much longer. I took a deep draught as he sauntered out the open door and into the backyard. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was definitely too sweet to be CANsidered an AIPA. It had a caramel maltiness with a grassy hoppiness which created a molasses-like bitterness. It was bitter, but not AIPA bitter. I really CANfess to believing that this was an English IPA, which was fine. Finish had an anise, molasses sweetish bitterness and I really think that this would be better thought of as an EIPA. That’s my CANfession for the day. Make of it what you will.

1.25/5  rDev -52.8%

2.75/5  rDev +3.8%

2.75/5  rDev +3.8%

1.92/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75

Slightly hazy amberish orange color in the snifter. Smells of malt liquor, wet cardboard, and orange-oil detergent. Big foam and plenty of fizz in the mouth. So that covers the good points.

The first sensation is a wave of sugar. A dirty, leaf mold sort of Ends with a particularly nasty bitterness like sunscreen, or aspirin dissolved in orange drink. It is ludicrous to call this an IPA. This is manufactured by Minhas Craft Brewery, which does make some decent and extremely cheap brews for Trader Joe's. I've got Simpler Times in the fridge right now. Look it up in Monroe, Wisconsin. But this stuff is as bad a beer as I've had this year for an unspoiled product.

So is there not enough real beer to go around with breweries opening in San Diego every week? The Fat Cat boys, I read on FB, have been making the rounds of Whole Foods and Total Wine, both of which seem to go for this kind of swill. From the 16 oz can purchased, I'm sad to say, at Best Damn in San Diego.

3.29/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

16oz can no bottle date - but I was assured it was less than a month and a half old. Poured into a snifter.

Quick Notes

A - Burnt amber. Paper thin head and zero lacing. Very little carbonation.

S - Straight caramel malts. Little hops. Smells almost like watered down barleywine with some age on it.

T - Solid bit of residual sugar giving it a burnt caramel taste, with a hint of pine on the end.

M - Too sticky for 6.0% ABV.

O - This brew boast the use of the "c" hops, but they just aren't present. Some may call it balanced. I call it an uninspired amber ale in IPA clothing.

2.8/5  rDev +5.7%

3.5/5  rDev +32.1%

2.56/5  rDev -3.4%

16oz can poured into a pint glass
A: Orange color with a two-finger head and nice looking carbonation
S: A mixed bag of grains. Perhaps a bit of corn. Some caramel notes then a bit of hops towards the end
T: Starts off a bit bland, some grain notes come through then a huge blast of bitterness but not from hops. Not sure where it comes from but it's the only thing I taste and not having any flavor to go with it it's rather off-putting
M: Light-bodied, decent except for the bitterness
O: I like a PBR now and again. This reminds me of PBR except for the intense bitterness which is out of place. Not sure with the lack of usual hop notes how they got the bitter notes in the beer but I can't recommend this at all

1.56/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

No. Dear God no no.

2.72/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a nice orangey amber with a big white head that leaves some soapy lacing. Starts out with a biref malty sweet and floral aroma but that disappears with the head. The flavor barely has a malt quality to it but is totally lacking in anything remotely IPA-ish, English, American, or anywhere else. It's like they built the backbone and forgot the rest. There is a nice weight to the body and has just a hint of carbonation. A re-worked recipe would do wonders.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast