Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fat Cat Lager | The Fat Cat Beer Company

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by JeffreyG on 08-27-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast

4.9/5  rDev +59.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is by far the most refreshing tasty mouthful of deliciousness I have ever experienced in a session beer. I recommend that anyone who gets the chance to taste this beer, do it! It is amazing, with a malty toasted arome and slightly bitter crisp taste and a dry finish. I wish it was available in San Diego, although I hear it is coming soon.

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

2.96/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a dark gold with a 2 finger head. A little lacing on the sides of the glass.

Aroma of lager yeast mixed with metallic smell and lots of sweet malt.

Straight up malt sweetness in the taste, little to no hop presence. Buttery toffee and caramel flavor.

Mouthfeel is not bad, medium with good carbonation.

Way too sweet for me but light enough to make it drinkable on a hot day.

3.32/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Dollars to doughnuts, this is one of the best. As the can reads, "Malt, hops, water, bla bla bla, what more can I tell ya? It's jest plain ol' good beer!"

It's like good cheap diner food ...but in beer format. It doesn't really conform to any style per se, but say yes to the wiley pie-eyed cat. It far surpasses any of the American pißwassers and even some of the PBRs, Naty Bohs, Rolling Rocks, and Yuenglings for comparable or lesser price.

3.62/5  rDev +17.5%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I picked up a 12 pack of it for novelty's sake, and well... Here I am.

It pours to a beautiful golden/orange amber. I noted that the color of the beer actually matches the orange the can upon my first pouring.

The carbonation is medium and creates a decent mouth feel.

Lacing is actually pretty close to perfect in the glass.

The smell is damn near perfect for what it is. If I were to try to explain to someone what beer smells like, I might give them a can of this. Sure, there are more complex smells out there, but this one is just beer... "that's what beer smells like"...

The taste is a contemporary lager. No real complexities. No subtle accents. It is what it is. It really reminds me of the first home brew lager I made when I was around 22. It's malty with a slight twinge of floral hops... The alcohol content is there without being overbearing.

No, I don't think it deserves an A, or even a B+, really. It's a good example. A benchmark. we can leave it at that.

For a moderately price novelty I saw on a shelf and kind of laughingly purchased, I was kind of surprised.

4.61/5  rDev +49.7%

I had this one at a small dive bar on tap for a buck a pour (1 pint) its great beer for a great price. The initial look of it is light, golden had a great head that lasted for a good amount of time. Smell of a bit of corn, kind of like a Pabst. Its mainly a basic lager mouth feel but its good for after the expensive beer. The taste was nice, crisp clean and down to the point. Worth it!

3.08/5  rDev 0%

Shared by Paul for some reason. Thanks.

Beer is dark yellow, clear, no real head, no lacing, low retention, low carbonation.

Aroma is sweet and corny.

Beer is medium to light in body and sweet with a heavy finish. Not very good but not too horrid. I don't think I'd ever have it again but it is a new brewery and worth a look. Mildly corn / grain finish on the backend.

3.38/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 12 oz can into my tulip.

A - Cloudy orange brown pour with a similarly colored half finger of head that disspaites vey quickly.

S – Lot of malt in the nose and almost a sour like smell undertone. Caramel.

T – Malty exactly like the smell. Faint taste of grain. Surprisingly sweet taste. Nice floral fruit taste. A touch of bitterness at the close.

M – Crisp and clean. Medium bodied and medium carbonation.

O – This is a pretty decent brew and highly drinkable. I could have a few of these on a hot summer day. Absolutely worth a try.

3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a light to medium amber in color with a good half inch of bubbly head. Plenty of carbonation, clean in appearance.

Aroma is pretty bland. Some sweet malt, a bit of a sour presence. Stewed cereal/grains basically.

A few sips into this and it drinks slightly above the macros. Some grainy flavors, a bit of sweetness and lots of bubbles on the tongue. Easy to drink on a warm day and at 4% a nice choice for an all day BBQ.

Nothing overly exciting, nothing really offputting, just a very straightforward beer company beer. Clever marketing and a cat on the can and voila - perhaps people will buy it.

3.47/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can with no freshness date, a newer batch from the one we reviewed in the mag.

Clear and copper, head suffers but enough lacing stays around. Smells of caramel and taffy with some toasted graininess. Malty sweetish body, pretty clean with a mild graininess. Modest hopping balances. Hint of alcohol and cooked veggies in the middle. Sweet finish, but not so sweet that another sip is not in order.

Not half bad, the real factor will be pricing ... the value is there but only to a certain level with many other craft lagers in the market.

3.77/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The legendary woodychandler comes through again with another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a caramel color with orange hues and a 1 inch head. Smell is big on malts, biscuts, a touch of sweetness. Taste is also very malty, some biscuts and hops, more subdued than the smell. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a quality brew.

3.26/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer pours light brown and orange, slightly cloudy, with a small off-white head that dissipates fairly rapidly.

The aroma is malty, biscuity, yeasty and fruity.

The taste is slightly sweet, a bit of slightly burnt caramel, malty and fruity with a slightly bitter and dry finish.

This is a nice amber/vienna lager, and nothing like its packaging and price range (less than $9 for a twelve pack) would suggest. It is brewed and canned in Monroe, Wisconsin so apparently contract brewed by Minhas.

3.36/5  rDev +9.1%

As the can reads "Malt. Hops, Water. blah, blah, blah. what more can I tell ya? It's just plain ol' good beer"

For an orange can with a silly slogan, it is actually good taste and overall mouthfeel. Amber in color, this beer is perfect for quenching your thirst on a warm, summer day. It the end its nothing spectacular but it is a definitely a 'plain ol' good beer".

4.13/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was brewed and canned in good ol' Monroe, WI; 10 minutes from Granny's farm. Makes me feel proud.

A - The brew pours a surprisingly radiant orange-goldenrod hue, and is capped with a generous volume of ecru froth. The color of this beer is almost identical to that of the can.

S - The nose is the weakest link; there is a mineral-citric quality akin to lime seltzer water, but little else.

T - The flavor is malty-sweet, ever-so-slightly, and has a rich English character (or Viennese) that suggests biscuits, caramel, toffee, and toast. Herbal hops are subdued but discernible. There is a fruity yeast character that is minor, but sublime, and contributes impressions of stone fruit. The deeper I get into this, the more amazed I am at the rich complexity of this Lager.

M - Silky, smooth, softly carbonated.

O - This is a shockingly good beer, albeit subtle. It compares very favorably to SA Boston Lager.

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%

I was a little scared to try this one and probably never would have tried it had it not been the only option in my brother's refrigerator.

The appearance was decent, surprisingly it was slightly amber in color with a not to impressive head.

Smell and taste were also surprising for my expectations. Kinda bready and carmely with a slight hop aftertaste.

Over all it wasn't a bad beer, better than what I expected. I found myself reaching back into my brothers refrigerator for two more and I'll drink some more if he's still serving Fat Cat but I would never waste my own money on it.

Side note: The Fat Cat I had was labeled as "brewed by MD II in Madison, Wisconsin" not San Diego California as the listing says

3.41/5  rDev +10.7%

A- 4 This looks surprisingly nice on the pour out of the can. It is a golden rust orange color with a big 1.5 finger off-white head that mellows down to under 1/4" throughout. It has slippery smooth lacing but non-uniform bubbles.

S- 3 It is pungent but very malt-heavy. I get a hint of orange as well, and also bread / yeast.

T- 3.5 Well, this is unique! Orange comes to mind initially as I first sip it, and then there is a roasted malt that dominates. It is almost nutty even. It is not shabby, but a strange combo and different from most lagers that I've had. Interesting.

M- 3.5 Not a bad feel to this; it is medium-light in body and high in carbonation. Fairly smooth.

D- 3.5 I could easily put down a few of these, though I probably wouldn't want more than a couple. It is unique for what I've tried. I find it a little off-balanced on the malt side but there are some other notes coming through. Not my favorite combination of flavors but decent... For 5.99/12-pack, I can't complain. Better than the average mass-produced domestic anyway!

2.26/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Well, this one had been sitting in my fridge for about 2 months and I decided I'd pop it. I've had this beer before, way back in my college days, let's try it again.

Pale yellow, light see through body. No surprise, but the head didn't seem as billow-y as I thought it should be. Yeah, it bulked up, but seemed soapy. No lacing.

Musky malt aroma, sweet. Stale. Ick

taste is on spot for an American Adjunct lager...not Vienna. Light, sweet, stale malty. Corn underlying. Served butt cold, thankfully. Started to warm...I had to drink quickly.

Eh, perhaps a lawn-mowing beer, but it doesn't finish crisp enough

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast