Westmalle Trappist Tripel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Reviews: 1,717 | Ratings: 4,443
3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Nice hazy yellow body. Hefty white head leaves a good Belgian lace.

Immediate fruit essence mainly consisting of pear and orange. Very malty nose. I caught some pungent whiffs of grain alcohol. Faint aroma of tomatoes?? Can't say I didn't like it, however. This brew woke my ass up in a good way. Aroma warns you this is a no-BS-brew, at 9.5% ABV.

Fruit punch-like flavor. Tropical fruit? Underlying chocolate, toffee, and maybe even light coffee notes. Bitter citrus flavors dominate throughout. An intriguing tartness towards the end. Finishes semi-dry/dry. The bitter citrus sticks around in the aftertaste. Raw alcohol flavor present big time. You can't miss it.

Nice delicate bubbly mouthfeel. Full in the mouth yet, refreshing.

One of the better Tripels I've tried. Much better than St. Bernardus IMO.

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

probably my favorite of the trappist tripels. pours a clearish straw golden color with an excellent white head. light and airy. smells like a farm in august, cut grass, hay, pollen, and of course the belgian yeast. taste is a little sweet, but not bad as tripels go, well hidden alcohol, grassy hops, fruity and light spice as it wanes. even a hint of banana in there. epic mouthfeel, with tons of bright carbonation and a light body. overall a damn good tripel, exemplary of the style, but just a touch too light. doesnt arouse me necessarily, but its a nice easy drinking quality ale

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

11.2oz bottle served in an oversized wineglass.

pours a hazy, dull golden-yellow while yielding a creamy finger plus of white head; decent retention, lacing.

nose is a nice potpourri of fruit, spice, belgian yeast and alcohol esters. i get a touch of clove, maybe a trace of hops... the flavor is somewhat dry with the aroma characters all pulling through - fruit, spice, yeast - and there's a distinct hoppy bitterness in the background, plus a bit of a tartness... more bitterness and some booze coming in the finish. overall a good beer, but to me i'm not sure i'd rank this as the ultimate example of a belgian tripel. in fact i'm sure i wouldn't: solid but far from my favorite trappist offering.

medium to full bodied, creamy mouthfeel with adequate carbonation. very drinkable considering the well-blended 9.5% ABV. i would recommend this beer, but would advise one to keep his or her expectations in check going in - i was prepared to be blown away by the tripel archetype and that just didn't happen, unfortunately.

originally reviewed: 10-31-2010

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

Last year for the Super Bowl I did the Dubbel, so this year why not the Tripel. Poured into Ridel large wine glass, not a perfect type, but should do the trick.
Pours a bit cloudy yellow, pale gold. The bottle dripped some and I'm not sure what that's about. Very big full head.
Nice sweet malt aroma. Some strong fruity, yeasty aroma while pouring, almost like melons, but didn't pick it up much after that. Aroma isn't overpowering or overwhelming, but good enough.
Initial sips aren't as impressive as I expected. Fairly simple and straight-forward. Pale clean malt. Some intense sweetness, but actually quite low on fruit character. Rather strong dryness with long retention. Fruit starts to appear as warms and airs out, but so does a rather strong almost hot alcohol.
A couple of drinks towards the end showed what this beer could be - fruit, sweet, candi-fruit, fruity-candi, nice. But alas it was fleeting.
Thin side of moderate body with appropriate lightness with the carbonation. Somehow feels filling - maybe it's just all the snacks.
I expected more from this. Date on bottle is 26/1/08 (so it's either really fresh or just hitting "best by" date). There was a time in which this beer was a top 100 beer. This bottle wouldn't have been one.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

I tried this beer from the 750 ml Bottle with Synthetic cork and it lived up to the brewery's reputation. I keep being drawn to the Belgium beers so this was a good choice.

Appearance: Poors much lighter than once it settled into my favorite snifter. Head was full and tight with little to no lacing. The beer settling into a cloudy amber with slight cling of the head to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Fruity, honey sweet nectar. Not as heavily scented as some of the other trippels but very pleasant with appealing refreshing smell.

Taste: Good trippel with enough yeast to leave the fulfilling aftertaste in many of the Trappist Beers.

Mouthfeel: Sweet with a close knit carbonation that sits forward on the tongue and leaves your taste buds yearning for more. The sour of the beer almost makes the drinker thirsty so each sip sort of gains on you in more ways than one.

Drinkablity: Good beer overall but does come across as being too light for a trippel. The murky amber color seems like it would be more filling but the flavor is quite nice.

Overall I recommend this trippel.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

Best before 2/10/10. Poured into a Chimay goblet.

Upon opening, a lazy rise of foam gives me plenty of time to get my glass before it billows over the side of the bottle. A gentle pour gives a little less than 2 fingers of white head which falls to a thin cap. Color is a hazy gold. No lace.

Aroma is bright, spicy, light fruits. Lemon, a little grassy. A slight funk and promising tartness.

Flavor starts with bruised fruits, musty grains. The bruised character remains throughout. Joined by a bitterness and faint spiciness in the finish. Bitterness was surprisingly strong when the brew was colder; it's mellowed as it has warmed.

Good feel, carbonation is nice and smooth.

I've had a handful of tripels now, and they're still a challenge to pin down. One of the reasons I keep coming back I guess.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

A 750ml bottle with a synthetic cork. Pours a hazy gold color and is topped by a frothy two-finger thick pale tan colored head. The aroma is quite yeasty, despite the beer resting unsettled for two weeks in my beer fridge. There is also lots of spicy yeast driven notes with pepper, ginger and lemon being most notable. As I get used to the aroma some fruit notes begin to pick up, with notes of green apple and tart pear being evident. The green apple note really becomes quite apparent after a bit.

The beer is full and peppery after my first sip. The beer almost has a creamy consistency and the spice notes give it a piquant sharpness that I like in a good Tripel. The spiciness hold throughout the taste profile of this beer, finishing with a sharp ginger like note at the end. This has a fairly full body to it, yet still remains quite dry on the palate, mainly I think because of the yeasty spiciness. As I mentioned this tastes quite yeasty as well, it gives it a sharp yeast bite to it. The beer has a light tartness to it that plays up the fruity aspects of the beer; mostly I get notes of green apple but there are notes of pear and a bit of tart plum as well, it also plays up the ginger note that is found in this beer.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a light straw with tons of small yeasties floating in the glass. Lots of foamy head that lingers quite a while.
Smells very spicy, phenol, alcohol, clove and banana.
Lots of spice in the taste, nutmeg, clove, mild alcohol.
Well carbonated with a slick, smooth mouthfeel.
Nice sipper with some soft cheese and nuts.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

11.2 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden amber color with lots of carbonation. The head - at one finger high, with a barely off-white shade - features excellent retention, a frothy texture, and great lacing.

S: Wow, this smells like a fantastic pilsner...except it's an ale...and it's 9.5%...and it's a year old. Aside from the surprisingly sturdy level of noble hopping, it also has a wonderful black pepper tone. There isn't much in the way of fruity esters, though - maybe there's a wisp of white grape here and there. Like many trappist ales, it's hard to really fathom why it works...and yet, it works so damn brilliantly.

T: It opens up with some notes of apple skin and white grape, while the finish is peppery and slightly hoppy. Occasionally a touch of cherry will appear. While I think the flavors are damn good, there's a reason that's all I wrote about the flavor profile...because it lacks some complexity. It's not dead simple though - and it definitely improves while sitting in the glass - but you don't get the typical twists and turns you do with, say, Rochefort 10.

M: The feel is heavy yet fizzy. And like a good tripel, there's nothing to suggest it's 9.5%. Given the fact that it's dry as shit and very well attenuated, this goes down with ridiculous ease.

O: I kind of wanted more depth, but as a means of creating an easy drinker without much palpable booze, it's a roaring success. I think the fact that I'm not a huge tripel fan has something to do with me not giving this some score well over 4+ (like I'm wont to do with anything made by monks in Belgium). I'd also love to compare it side-by-side with La Fin Du Monde.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

I'm not a huge fan of this style, but this was a gift, and seems to be what all tripels aspire to be.
11.2oz bottle poured into my Stone VE glass.

A-Pours a hazy golden color with lots of bubbles. Reminds me of champagne with all the bubbles. Big bubbly white head with little retention and lacing.

S-Pears and apples here. Sugary smell as well, like a big lollipop. A bit yeasty and pungent. Definitely some strong malt smell here as well.

T-Spice fruit, very sugary. Caramel is present as well. A bit of hop bitterness, and a strong booze taste lingers at the end.

M-Body is pretty thick for the style. Carbonation is very high, maybe too much so.

D-Alcohol isn't too noticeable, but the high carbonation makes this a sipper.

This was a great example of a beer from a style that I normally don't care for.

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

Served in my Westmalle chalice!

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden lemon and subtle orange hue. Too many pillars of bead to count. Huge towering head that died all too quickly because I wanted to admire it a little longer. Sediment is noted floating about.

Smell: Grassy and herbal. Citric zest and slight bread notes. Sizable alcohol is noted as well.

Taste: Alcohol jumps to the fore front. Biscuity malt character along with yeasty notes. Fairly complex citrus profile that to me is not hop based. Did I mention that this thing is alcohol laden? This beer finishes grassy and almost medicinal, not bad.

Mouthfeel: Not as carbonated as I thought. Very full for a tripel. Smooth and round body. I like it!

Drinkability: Dont get me wrong, this is high class stuff but the abv on this winner cuts the drinkability down a bit for me. If this is in front of me, I would have not problem savoring it at anytime.

Cheers2Beers

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

App: Really nice, thick, fluffy two-finger head that just stays and stays. I poured this five minutes ago and it's still barely moved. Nice deep golden cloudy color, too. The head on this is really a beautiful thing.

Smell: Slight banana smell, almost a little skunky or funky. Kind of interesting but nothing too special. Basic tripel nose.

Taste:A little bit of spice, actually really heavy on the alcohol. Definitely comes through quite a bit. Almost a dry sort of finish. Not a whole lot of complexity coming through to me. I don't know if my bottle is just off but I'm not too thrilled with this one so far. It's pretty good but not great.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, nothing special. A little dry in the finish, flavor stays with you for a while. Not cloying or anything but just kind of a nice reminder that you're drinking a beer until your next sip.

Drinkability: I think flavor-wise you could definitely do a few of these, even with the alcohol bite but the alcohol would catch up to anybody. It's got a kind of creeping warmth to it that I really like. It hits you slow and kind of simmers. A pretty good beer overall, I've had some tripels I've been more impressed with (Allagash comes to mind). Nice beer but world class might be pushing it.

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

L: good head. Fluffy and white. Laces the glass.

S: some citrus. Not a whole log else I'm getting.

T: sweet fruit with honey on the rear.

F: smooth with a little heat. Nice tongue coating.

O: great beer. The ratings show it. Glad it's year around

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

A hazy golden colour, the generous white head was quickly reduced, but produced nice lacing on the glass. Spicy aroma, doughy malt, light hops and a bit of alcohol. Smells pretty nice, but a little bit muted overall. Good combination of flavours, with fruit, cloves, and moderate sweetness balancing a drying bitterness. Short finish that is a little sweet with light peppery spice and alcohol warmth. Medium body, moderately high carbonation produce an initially light, airy texture.

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

I was a bit let down when I tried the Westmalle Dubbel, so I'm hoping this bier makes amends! This baby has a peachy, golden color. It is somewhat hazy already, even with a careful pour. Some tiny yeasty bits (is that like naughty bits?) have already made their way into the bier and are hovering around aimlessly! The head is a whipped-cream white, nice and fluffy. There was some yeasty and fruity aroma-notes, but it was much too mild. Very pleasant mouthfeel comprised of medium-plus body and minimal-carbonation producing a decent smoothness. A bit of yeasty spiciness initiates the assault on my palate. The second wave is made-up of some fruity aspects (perhaps even slightly peachy). It is a good-tasting bier, yet nothing really shakes me to the roots. Better than their Dubbel, yet not earth-shaking, imho.

overall: 4
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

Bottle says best by 12/10/13 (or is that 10/12/13?).

Pours a cloudy tan with light billowy head that settles to nothing, only coming out with a swirl. Aroma is light with vanilla, coriander, and Belgian Pilsner malt. Once the yeast is poured to mix (recommended), all sorts of pungent, floral, and fruity esters pop out of the glass. The candied sugar is evident, but not overpowering as is the alcohol presence. That signature tangy Belgian malt is strong up front and sweet with some of the candied sugar surfacing for a bit before the bittering hops take over.There is some vinous, grassiness to it that stays on the back of the tongue. It's very barnyardish, which I appreciate. I'm sure this is to hide the alcohol content a bit, but it lingers just a bit too long for my taste. But wow, what a difference some yeast makes! The bitterness is assuaged by the yeasty body somehow and I don't get the stagnation in my mouth. Dry finish with slightly watery viscosity.

This is all about the aroma. Even when I drink it, I enjoy the beer better when it sits in my mouth and has time to get to the nose a bit. It's part of the experience, I get it, but the taste really doesn't live up to the first act. I'd stick with a St. Bernardus, which is cheaper and probably fresher. I'd like to go to Belgium to try this fresh to test my hypothesis. To Belgium! For science!

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Hazy honey colored with a two inch head of frothy and lumpy bright white foam.

Aroma of subtle yeastiness, some ripe fruit and floral notes, hints of lemon.

Very clean flavor, a bit yeasty upfront, met with spicy pepper notes, moving to lemon and grassy flavors.

Mouthfeel is dry and crisp, tingly and bubbly, slight warmth in the cheeks. Tasty beer, pretty drinkable for the strength.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Brown 750ml bottle with a yellow and white label featuring a bell tower, presumably from the monastery. My bottle came in a cardboard cylinder similar to what you get with single malt whiskies. The top was corked and caged. The bottle had no info on ingredients, while the best before date was stamped on the cork. I could read the month and day (Sept. 2), but not the year.

Poured cloudy pale orange under a two finger thin white head that settled quickly to thick film. There is very little lace. The nose is surprisingly mild, even when warm, with just a touch of sweet and spicey. The mouth is light and very, very prickly. The taste is extremely smooth, with lots of malt, a bit of apricot, plenty of coriander and yeast. There's also a nice hoppy bite in the finish that adds bitter to the sweet and spice. The bitterness lingers long into the aftertaste, mixing well with the fruit and yeast. While I can't say it was worth the almost $30 I paid for it, this was a very enjoyable beer.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Looks nice. Slightly cloudy straw colour, but you can still see through it. Sort of. Fluffy, airy white head. Sticky, too.
Smell was good, but a bit disappointing. Not as much complexity as I hoped for. The Dubbel smells better.
Taste is well balanced, but leans towards the sweet side. Alcohol is well disguized. But the mouthfeel is where it loses me. This bottle (which I assume is fresh - I'm only a few hundred k's away from the brewery) is way, way too carbonated. Champagne-like. And this hurts my drinkability.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

11.2 oz. bottle, pretty neat one at that. Back label has numbers and months for a brewed on date, but they aren't notched.

Pours a hazy light copper with a monstrous head, almost looked like soap suds, with crazy large bubbles. As the head went down the froth clinged to the edges of my DT glass.

I can smell this beer from 2 feet away! Complex and fruity esters, vanilla extract, alcohol. When I first opened it I got a strong spiciness, very herbal. That went away quickly. The alcohol smell is really strong with this brew.

The alcohol is also strong in the taste. I can feel it burning its way down my to my gut. If I were to judge from the alcohol characteristics alone, I would guess this is the strongest beer I've drank, although I can think of quite a few I've tried with a higher listed ABV. This stuff hits my gut like a shot of whiskey. Super slick mouthfeel, with ample carbonation. After a few drinks I decided to pour the yeast, hoping for a rescue from the big booziness of this beast, all I got was a touch of nutty flavor. Lots of fruity green-apple-peel-tasting esters. Malt and hop flavors are present, but just get lost in a vat of pure alcohol dominance.

This is a first for me. I love tripels, and the other trappist beers I've tried have been top notch. There are some balance issues for me with this brew, way too much of a booze vibe going on. For $5 for a single 11.2 oz. bottle, this wasn't near as good as it should have been, unless you're just dying to drink really expensive, boozy beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from an 11.2 ounce bottle from Family Liquors in Homewood, IL.

Appearance: Hazy, bright tan/yellow color. Huge white head. Tons of Belgian lace.

Smell: Scents of floral, spice, clove, and orange.

Taste: It has flavors of orange and spice with very low bitterness or hop taste.
It has a very dry finish with little aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium with high carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable which is scary. This beer has a high alcohol content (9.5 ABV) that is not apparent when drinking. It would be very easy to drink two or three of these before you realize what's happening.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy yellow with a ample head...

Smells bready, yeasty, and tart.

Taste is surprisingly simple... but opens up after a few sips... light, bready, highly carbonated. Tart, with tinges of apple, and sweet, buttery, candied pear... light hop bitterness paired with interesting yeast flavor tones make for a great beer.

Goes down smooth, the high level of carbonation plays the flavors off the tongue in a very sporadic way... the beer is simple, but never boring... doesn't feel 9.5% until you are most of the way through the bottle. Great drinkability, not overwhelming.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a 750ml cork and caged bottle into a snifter. Pours a golden apricot color with a nice size frothy head...although the head dissapates pretty quickly to a thin ring. Light, yet sticky lacing.

Aroma is full of fruit. I'm picking up apple and grapefruit, and musty like a lot of Belgian Tripels. Booze is also detectable slightly.

Semi-carbonated and great fruit flavor. Light, crisp, and refreshing. Although most Belgian style beers are better as they warm, this one is the opposite. As it warms, the booze gets a bit heavy and a dryness takes over. There's also a slightly sour aftertaste. Bottle was only aged about 6 months...atleast from purchase.

Sampled from a bottle from Plumbjack in SF. Best before date 12/05

This beer pours with high carbonation, and the white head foams up nicely, but retreats quickly to about half a centimeter and holds for a bit before receding more. The lace is pretty weak, and I handwashed/rinsed my wine glass. The beer initially pours a crystal clear, orange/peach color, which gets cloudy at the end from the yeast. Really a beautiful color.

The aroma is ephemeral, and gives me, surprisingly, a soft hop floral aroma and some honey. The taste has a surprising amount of hop bitterness for what I was expecting; it's mild but it's definitely a part of this brew. Michael Jackson says it's Saaz hops, and I can sense the lingering spiciness of it. I get a lot of fruit -- orange, plum, and raisin. There is a nice malt taste that has more honey than sugar with it. I almost get some chocolate, but that can't be right, can it? The finish is a bit syrupy and medicinal. The alcohol is muted. Full bodied.

Overall, I don't think this one is worth the price of admission at 6 or 7 bucks. It just doesn't give me that sense that I'm really being indulgent.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Deep golden yellow with peach highlights capped with a ferociously thick and lasting head. Firm aromas of green apples and citrus fruits dominate hints of cereal and yeast finishing on notes of vanilla and hops. A respectable bead rises from the glass and expresses itself in the first sip. Round and heady body gives the impression of thickness in the mouth. Butterscotch and vanilla combine with powerful malt flavours to usher in a sweetness that is eventually overpowered by a drying and long bitterness. Long finish to this beer. Looking forward to having an older bottle.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle