Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Westmalle Trappist Tripel | Brouwerij Westmalle

10%

Ratings: 4,582 |  Reviews: 1,759
3.2/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Boozy, thin, and generally unbalanced.

3.21/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours the same gold color as my wedding band with a thick, creamy, head. Carbonation bubbles explode to the top. Thick lace. Smells bready and fruity with a faint alcohol smell. The front end of the taste is dominated my malty sweetness, then the alcohol kicks your tastebuds ass. All this leaves kind of a mildly hoppy aftertaste that lingers. Feels thick and creamy in the mouth.
It just doesn't seem to hide the alcohol that well to be very drinkable. Maybe my tastebuds aren't ready for the style. Overall, I did enjoy it, but I'm not rushing to try it again.

3.21/5  rDev -25.3%

From my notes 5/28/07 - Pours a one-finger white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Cloudy, pale amber color. Slight malty nose. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is balanced to slightly sour. Finish has some alcohol and sourness. Not nearly as good as bottle. On-tap at Summertime Restaurant Scheveningen, NL. €5 ($6.85) for a 330ml glass.

3.21/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours a bright golden yellow color with a three finger white frothy head. Good head retention, waiting and waiting for the head to die down but just doesnt. Great lacing clings all over the glass.

Has the tripel smell to it. Smells of apricots, banana peels, yeast, and lots of spices that i cant figure out.

Reminds me of Duvel. Slight bitter upfront with definite alcohol taste, lots of spices coming in and taste that I just cant figure out. Has like a semi-sweet taste to it also.

Mouthfeel is dry and high on carbonation.

As stoked as I'am to finally try this, since this was on my list to try as soon as I got started in craft. This was a little to dry for me. I'll definitely pick up the "Dubbel" instead of this one though.

3.22/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into a Duvel glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow with a generous white head.

S: Lots of grapefruit in the nose with a nice earthiness underlying the citrus. Very inviting aroma with a slight hint of vanilla.

T: Somewhat watery with a lingering lemon rind bitterness. An alcoholic bite builds with subsequent sips. A slight hint of grapefruit with bitterness from noble hops.

M: Slightly on the dry side with a relatively pleasant aftertaste.

D: Very drinkable in spite of the high alcohol content. The flavor is somewhat underwhelming but it goes down quite easily and is remarkably refreshing. It's definitely the kind of beer that would sneak up on you over the course of an evening.

3.23/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a hazy orange color with a big white foamy head. Smell is very yeasty and spicey with notes of orange and citrus. Taste is sweet and fruity with lots of spices, citrus, green apples and orange. There's also a quite big alcohol touch which I'm not too found of. Feels unbalanced... I don't know. I have problem with this one, which is a bit weird since the actually aromas and flavours is nice, but maybe it's just a bit too sweet? Or is it the alcohol? Not very drinkable at all, but I'm gonna check it out some other time... I much prefer Chimay White if I want a tripel.

3.24/5  rDev -24.7%

06/21/06- Purchased at Jackson's Wine and Spirits in Lafayette, CA.

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle. Date strip on the side, but unnothced..although there is a date stamped on the bottle that says Dec 2005. Assuming that this is the best by date as I have had the bottle aging for about two years. Didn't really think much of it as I'm assuming a good tripel should be able to age that long with no ill effects. Poured into my Westmalle chalice.

Appearance- Peachy-orange colored pour. Whoops, a bit to much on the pour as a huge chunk of yeast dropped in my glass and then broke apart into little protien balls and yeast flakes. None to appetizing right now. Head was only a 1/2 inch as first which shrunk to a rim in no time flat. Lacing was very minimal.

Smell- Light alcoholic esters. Lots of spicy goodness. Sweet smelling tropical fruits.

Taste- Sadly I am disappointed. This one is all alcohol. From sip one that's about all I got. An overwhelming taste of alcohol. Made this 9% beer taste like a 15% beer. Also seemed a bit watered down at times. Beneath all that there was a tropical fruity base with some spicyness.

Mouthfeel- Average carbonation...alcohol aftertaste. Your friends will think you are a drunk after drinking this one.

Drinkability- Past it's prime? Not sure. Other people think the same about the alcohol. Maybe just not my cup of tea for a tripel. I still have a bomber of this stashed away within it's best by period. I'll have to bust it out real soon for comparrison.

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Triples are typically not my desired style of mine. As this warmed it just got worse for me.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle