Westmalle Trappist Tripel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Ratings: 4,558 |  Reviews: 1,750
4.11/5  rDev -4%

Cloudy, golden color with a creamy, thick head. Nothing unique in the aroma, typical (or maybe this one sets the standard) for Belgian Tripels. Personally, I thought the alcohol came across stronger than the 9.5% stated but it was still smooth and balanced. Viscosity was a bit thicker leaving an obvious coating on the roof of my mouth. It didn't last long and the aftertaste was earthy and a bit fruity. I love Belgian Tripels so it is rare that I can score one average or lower.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle dated best by 30/01/15 into a tulip glass. This is only my second Trappist brew and I'm pretty sure it's my first tripel.

Cloudy, light copper color with a decent sized, bubbly head that dissipated pretty quickly leaving a very thin head afterward with some lacing on the glass. Good amount of bubbles floating up. Held up to the light I can see some floaties of some kind in there.

The initial aroma really surprised me because it immediately brought back memories of stroh's beer that I drank back in the 80's. It surprised me because I was expecting an exotic aroma but instead was reminded of some cheap beer I drank in high school and college. It actually worried me a little about what the taste was going to be like. Now that it's poured the smell has evolved some and is getting nicer. Sweet with a little funk poking its head out.

The taste is wonderful! I am not great at picking out flavors but I am getting a very nice, light sweetness and some barnyard funk. Really delicious.

The mouthfeel is great. Just the right amount of carbonation and a creaminess without being heavy that suits my palate just right.

Overall I like this much better than my only other Trappist brew which was Orval. I highly recommend this one and would buy another in a heart beat!

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Bottle: purchased from Leura Cellars. A stylish and incredibly thick embossed 330mL brown bottle with a nice trappist label. Simple but elegant.

Appearance: pours a fairly viscous vibrant honey yellow with champagne-like fine carbonation. A big fluffing head bursts up to three-fingers even with a gentle pour (mind you my snifter is draining so I am using a tulip so fair enough) and settles to a half-finger thick white head. Not much lacing.

Aroma: quite muted on the nose, but what is there is a clean and fresh combination of Belgian yeasts and sour dough, orchard fruits and some spices. Some alcohol over the top but is not distracting.

Taste: more sour than your usual tripel - plenty of alcohol and Belgian yeasts, with some wheat, cloves, orchard fruits and a touch of malt. Not my favourite tripel flavour, but still pretty outstanding.

Aftertaste: the flavours last a good long while - quite dry all the way through thanks to the alcohol and the sourness.

Mouth feel: a thick body that really works quite well. Moderate in carbonation with a smooth yet dry feel.

Overall: quite a drinkable tripel, but probably not the best I have had, particularly since it is one of the dearest. It is more sour and tart than most which I like, but it lacks some complexity. That said, it does have a wonderful orchard fruit and spice flavour that pokes its head out between the alcohol and sour dough.

4.75/5  rDev +11%