Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Reviews: 1,705 | Ratings: 4,395
4.21/5  rDev -1.6%

This is a beautiful beer to both look at and to drink. The color is golden and thick, and the head is creamy white, and slow to dissipate.

For a tripel, I think this one had a bit more of a bracing bite than others. Although it warmed up nicely. The flavor is spicy and herbal, but there is a bite there, something like apricots or something tigher, like grape skins. But the maltiness is heavenly, and the alcohol is so warming.

Very memorable.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

There is two extreme. No taste or bad taste, and too much flavour on the other end. We'll all agree that we prefer to eat and drink stuff that are leaning on the tasty side... but how often have we encountered things that were just TOO much? This beer offers perfect equilibrium in a Tripel.

Flawless appearance, huge foamy head, gold colour with lots of yeasts. Smells of orange, cherry and citrus in a not-too-fruity way.

Taste is once again very balanced. Fruitiness, malt, hop, everything mixes in a perfect way.

This beer is the best tripel I've tasted.

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%

poured into a maredsous goblet. absolutely beautiful brew. had an explosive white head that was very active and took on a life of its own. flecks of yeast were present beneath in the brilliant golden liquid below that eventually settled to the bottom. the smell hits you instantly, and from 2 feet away its quite pungent. very lively yeast, peppercorn, ripe fruits, corriander, lemon, and alcohol very noticeable. the taste is a knockout. the depth of flavor is unlike any tripel ive had. phenol alcohol is not hidden, and the coriander is a great companion to that. its got some grassy hops, tart fruits, and a wonderfully earthy yeast taste going on. excellent balance and very assertive. its got a medium body, which feels a bit thicker due to the high carbonation level. drinkability for this one is great considering the abv. maybe the only beer ive ever had that felt and tasted like it was "alive". best tripel i've tasted hands down.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Here goes. I poured a 330mL into a tulip glass. A surprisingly higher than average level of carbonation - it has been a few years since I let a beer foam over! The brew wasw a lighter color than I expected - similar to a cloudy Americam Lager. It is a color I grew up on.

Inhale the nectar, and I sensed a floral bouquet, sweet cereal smell with a late hoppiness.

Taste: It starts with a bitter hop, replaced by a complex flavor profile, in turn returning to the bitter hop essence.

Mouthfeel: a very balanced texture, not unpleasant at all.

Overall, a very good beer but perhaps a smidgeon too much emphasis on hops.

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Just by the luck of the draw, I picked this one out of a long beer list last night.

Pours out with a slightly burnt orange color and has a modest, light head. The smell and taste have some strong fruit flavors and the carbonation is tight enough to leave it with a clean finish. The amount of alcohol in this brew is pretty high, but does not overpower the senses.

Overall, one of the finest beers I have come across. Given the chance, I would pick this one again in a second.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

A- extremely dark brown, almost black...poured with a thick white head

S- hints of fruit, grapes, chocolately

T- wow, i was very impressed by this one, fruity but delicious, little malty, almost oatmealy

M- very carbonated

D- very drinkable

overall, this was a terrrific beer, i will definitely pick another one or few of these up

3.27/5  rDev -23.6%

I far preferred the Dubbel to the Tripel, The appearance was cloudy, and a bit uninspiring. The smell was nice but mostly oranges and pears, while the taste was quite nice tasting of oranges and cream, but slightly heavy on the Hops. The mouthfeel and drinkability were definitely below par.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Somewhat of a yeasty champagne on the nose, malt and apple as well. On the palate, spicy combined with some green apple tartness and the champagne grape and dryness fills the middle. The spice is pepper and maybe even some clove but the malt provides a nice balance to that, all wrapped up in a creamy mouthfeel.

This is a really tasty ale, something I could drink all the time. It almost makes me want to become a trappist monk just so I could get this from the source. Except my ADHD would make the whole chanting/prayer thing hard to focus on. Oh well.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Beautiful cloudy orange color with some sediment. Decent head with good lace, although not much retension. Smells of lemon, spice, and alcohol. Good carbonation, tastes of ripe fruits with a spicy alcohol kick in the finish. This is a very nice tripel, smooth complex and delicious.

Wow ... this might be a perfect beer! I wrote some notes down while tasting half of the bottle, and then looked at some of the reviews -- and I think that I am not alone in loving this beer.

I picked this beer up on the recommendation of the woman at a bottle shop in Belgium (store description and location, below). This woman is a saint! What a great recommendation.

Appearance: (5.0) The tulip glass looked amazing with the gold color of the beer and eggshell head from the Triple.

Smell: (5.0) Hints of citrus, a little pepper and some apple. As the beer warmed, the smell became more pronounced.

Taste: (5.0) A good spice came through ... very nice. A small amount of alcohol.

Mothfeel (5.0) Good malt with slight carbination.

Overall (5.0) This must be the gold standard for all Belgian beers.

*** Le Moine Austère ***
Just up the road from us in Beligum, is a wonderful bottle shop called the Austere Monk (I'll review it after BA adds it: Le Moine Austère, Rue Dorez 8, Tournai, Belgium) (a review: http://www.monnuage.fr/point-d-interet/le-moine-austere-a41282). My wife and kids found the shop while touring the Grand Place and visiting the Christmas village. The family was excited to bring me to the store and even sent a few photos of the wall of bottles.

As I looked at the selection, I instantly wished that I knew more about Belgium beers. I understand a little French and shopkeeper was willing to bring to me some of the local beers and the traditional favorites. (Side note: it is *very* helpful to have a wife that speaks and understands French!) She pointed out which beers were still made by monks (down to five, she said), and those breweries which tend to create craft beers. She loves to make gift baskets, filled with beers, glasses and other treats. I can't wait to return!

4.75/5  rDev +11%

11.2 oz bottle in a chalice glass. Yellow in color, with a thin head of foam, little lacing. The Westmalle Dubbel is one of my favorite brews, so I had very high hopes for this one, and it didn't disappoint. The sweet aroma of fresh fruit is top notch. The taste hits with sweet, ripe banana initially, then rush of earthy spices and herbs that blends in with perfection. The carbonation is excellent and the finish is hoppy but sweet, and very crisp. The alcohol is surprisingly under control for a 9.5% ABV, and it seems to linger a bit in the background. It's an amazingly engineered trippel. It seems that every Trappist-style ale that comes out of Westmalle is liquid gold. A must for any beer aficionado.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

750 ml bottle poured into a Chimay chalice glass.

A--Hazy gold with a bit of an orange tint. Large, creamy head that lasts forever and leaves perfect lacing. As good a head as I've ever seen.

S--Sweet & yeasty. Some fruits, like apricot. Mild but still complex with a lot going on.

T--Sweet & malty. Apricot & yeasts are the upfront tastes to me. A little bit of hops follow to balance it out. Damn near perfection.

M--Wow, creamy & mouthfilling. Plenty of carbonation to spread out the flavors. I'd have to call the mouthfeel perfect, at least to my tastes.

O--This one is awesome. I've tried countless American Belgian style tripels. This is the one that they're all trying to be when they grow up. Absolutely as good as it gets.

4.79/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pour is a hazy yellow orange with a beautiful foamy head. Smells of light citrus and hops with fruit notes. The taste is very smooth with full fruit and citrus creamy flavors that just melt on your tongue. The beer is so smooth and creamy that it is hard to stop drinking it, this ranks as one of the best tasting beers I have had. The entire feel of this beer from start to finish is pure enjoyment, top favorite.

4.82/5  rDev +12.6%

Nice presentation, initial rocky head that settles to a lasting lace, some clings to the glass as the beer goes away. Turbid body, brownish-orange. Citric/lemon alcoholic aroma. Crisply and malty upfront with a yeasty sweetness following. Crispy but not extremely crispy. Medium smooth body. Bitter ending that stays in your mouth for long time.

Very nice, very well balanced, those monks really know what they are doing.

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- A nice cloudy orangish-yellow color, a nice white head on it with good retention.

S- Belgium yeasts, malt and apples & spices. I think I dectected a hint of Belgium candy sugars.

T- Crisp taste of malt and apples & spice right off the bat. Mellowing into a nice maltyness. An amazing after taste. No alcohol taste is present.

M- Great taste rigth of the bat, and the finish is great as well.

D- Very light body and goes down smooth. I wish I could drink this more often.

4.61/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from the characteristic 11.2 oz brown bottle into a footed glass (wish I had a goblet for this one).

A: Pours a pale amber with a nice haze to it and some noticeable "floaters." The head overwhelms the glass at the beginning at over three fingers in height. Soapy white bubbles both large and small form the tight-knit head that simply doesn't want to go away--by the time I'd finished half the beer, I still had a good finger of head resting at the top of the brew. No notable lacing present. Quite effervescent, a steady stream of carbonation helps to keep the sizable head aloft. This is a stunning looking beer.

S: Nothing overpowering in the nose, but there are several distinguishing notes. The first is that of sourdough bread, followed by a familiar combination of lemongrass and spices. Very tempting for the drinker.

T: The taste follows the aroma, but the profile is a bit more magnified. There's a nice yeasty bread quality, along with a slight hint of booze. Then, as with the smell, another familiar combination: orange peel, coriander, and faint honey. At first, hops are only an afterthought, but as the beer warms, some nice herbal hop notes show up and balance out the list. Not too sweet, and not bitter at all. On a side note, this beer reminds me so much of a really good hefeweizen (Weihenstephaner, maybe?) with it's fruity/spicy pairings. It's the best example I can relate the taste to.

M: Light to medium-bodied with a sticky texture on the tongue. Finishes quite dry and crisp with a peppery bite, along with some warming from the alcohol. Very aggressive carbonation creates a very refreshing sensation.

D: One of my new favorite beers. Very complex flavor profile, but so smooth and easy to just drink and enjoy. For a high ABV beer, the alcohol is very well hidden and doesn't detract from the tasting experience. Highly recommended.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Ah those canny monks! So doing God's work means making beer? I'm on the other side of the wall, so doing God's work is drinking it. I do what I can.
Here it is, the middle of winter, and I'm drinking a beer I think is perfectly suited to summer. Also paired this with a very spicy meal and the combination was perfect. Great counterfoil.
Plenty of head when poured from the bottle, but not too much carbonation on the tongue.
Aromas of sour oranges, bread and even ginger.
Wow! that taste. Very long finish with a very pleasant bitterness that carried from the mid palate to the back. Clean, very crisp finish. Did not sense the sweetness that other reviewers found, but no loss there.
I could put a lot of these away on a warm day.
My first exerience with this beer. Won't be my last.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Slightly lighter in appearance than most Tripels drank recently with a nice cloudy golden hue and 1 finger white head.

The aroma is very refreshing with a touch of malt but overall hint of yeast and fruitiness.

Taste is out of this world with the sweetness of the malts quickly fading and touches of pear and yeast quickly building with a refreshing, smooth, and crisp finish for a Tripel with 9.5% ABV.

To me, this beer is at the top pf the list for Tripels. It exemplifies the perfect combination of malts, yeasts, and hops.

Truly world class!

4.58/5  rDev +7%

The pour was a absolute delight! A fine golden hue with tiny bits of sedimented floating about in the bubbles of a GRAND head.The smell of citrus and maybe the hint of alcohol along with the very subtle spices of fine trappist work.
The tastes is exquisite with malt and little honey taste that matures into a lemony-orange citrus. Very smooth and rather crisp.
It was truly worth the $4.99 I paid for a 330ml bottle, its a nice relaxing-cheese eating kinda brew. I'm gonna stock up!

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

A: hazy golden color, big fluffy bleach white head that lasted and left nice lacing.

S: clean, restrained bright citrus fruits and grain.

T: much like the smell, very clean and refined. Nothing jumps out at you in a big way, but the level of flavor refinement is much appreciated and respected.

M: well carbonated, very light and refreshing on the palate. Hard to hold back on this one!

D: Need to be careful with this one, beyond drinkable. Alcohol was nearly undetectable, so light and refreshing. Really easily could get in too deep with this trappist. Will be seeking this guy out again, thats for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Poured into my favorite tulip glass. It would be hard to have any gripes about the appearance... Golden color, nice foamy head that stays for a bit then retreats to the edge of the glass with lacy haphazardly shaped continents. Spin the glass like wine and the head reappears! Yeast is suspended and swirls around in a random nature with the carbonation. Several streams of bubbles form and seems as if they would bubble forever if I could resist drinking the beer.

S - Smells like sour apples and lillies.

T/M - The immediate taste is crisp and somewhat dry with a sour bitterness that blends well with spiciness. If I were to guess the ABV, I would think it were around 7%. The sourness, while not being overwhelming, seems to melt the taste of alcohol away. The flavor of the beer almost serves as a chaser.

D - This is the kind of beer that I could drink at almost any time - I am ecstatic that this is brewed year round.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

wow. this is definitely my favorite Belgian.

a. slightly hazy straw color with extremely white head, looks a lot like a weissbier

s. smells like a weissbier, lemon and wheat

t. intense lemon, with wheat and alcohol, tastes like sustenance, a satisfying meal

m. rice and round, perfect

d. the most drinkable Belgian ever experienced, among my top beers of all time

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours cloudy, light orange. Cloudy, opaque head. At first look the body seems heavy due to the yeast but the taste is surprisingly light. Good fruity flavor. Good dry yeast aftertaste. The ABV is a slight “kick in the head” but still one of the more sophisticated and complex Trappists I’ve had.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

I've had a good friend harping on me to get my hands on a Trappist ale any way I could (the availability SUCKS in southern MS, and the closest good import selection is in New Orleans). So, I chose the Westmalle Tripel, and I'm planning on tracking down some Rochefort and Orval later down the road...and maybe the ever-elusive Westvleteren, if I can ever find it in the States. On with the Westmalle...

Appearance: Slightly hazy pale orange hue under a perfect 2-3 finger frothy head, which laced very well as I sipped.

Smell: Delicious harmonic smell of golden apple, yeast, tropical fruit, coriander, and hops.

Taste: The most complex tasting beer I've tried. The fruity esters, sweet malt, and yeast hit immediately, and while the alcohol content is up there, it isn't overbearing at all. My 'sweet' taste buds just lit up. And as it went down, more flavors kept coming, like honey. I could still taste honey a full ten minutes after it was all gone. Pretty amazing.

Mouthfeel: It's a bit like a sparkling wine with a low carbonation. As the flavors bounce all over the mouth, the alcohol does its warming work. The sweet flavors are so intense that it left me salivating and wanting more.

Drinkability: This is a highly drinkable beer which should be sipped slowly and savored. Be warned, though: it will spoil you if it's one of your first craft beers. It's so complex, so expertly brewed, you will appreciate it more if you've gotten some time in with more beers before trying it. Trappist ales aren't so highly praised for nothing, as I've discovered.

4.46/5  rDev +4.2%

One of the best when you're in a Tripel mood. Makes you wish you were sitting in one of those easygoing Belgian cafes watching the locals. Perfect balance of malt/hop to counter the 9plus alcohol presence.

Drink'n two