Westmalle Trappist Tripel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Ratings: 4,628 |  Reviews: 1,772
4.73/5  rDev +10%

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

poured into a Belle-Vue tulip glass 330 ml

A-- Poured a straw gold color, very big head that slowly fizzled away. Left a good one finger of head. Did get some sediment in the glass.

S-- Straw, malt and candied sugar. Reminds me of how Duvel smells. Got me salivating in the back of my mouth.

T-- Complex, get a little sweet and then the burn at the end. Very interesting.

M-- Best of both worlds. Start off light and medium carbonated and then the alchohol gets you in the end. Better mouthfeel when a little warmer.

D-- At 9.5 I would suggest one,sip it, enjoy this puppy. It does creep up on you quick. Wish I got a 750 over a 330.

Overall an excellent beer. Have the St. Bernardus tripel and can not wait to compare these 2.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

poured chilled in snifter

A: cloudy, pear-juice colored; beautiful head; v. nice carb streams; excellent lacing
S: light but persistent aroma of pear, ester
T: white grape, pear, v. heavy in alcohol, but detectable only well into the aftertaste; bottle fermentation is pronounced but not cloying.
M: spritely, buoyant

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The westmalle has a strong aroma. It has a great color when poured with a nice golden head. The flavor was strong as well but was great. The after taste was the cause for concern. My girlfriend likened it to gasoline although I didn't mind too much. It does go straight to the sinuses and opens them up. Overall, I would recommend this beer.

4.56/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2.5/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into red wine glass.

A - Yellow/orange, like light colored orange juice with a good bit of haze. About three fingers of head with decent retention, especially for a 9% brew. Moderate lacing.

S - Hard to pin down. Sort of an underlying brine-y aroma with overtones of lemon and iodine. Some faint indistinct fruit hides in the corners. Bananas? Apples maybe?

T - Quite impressive. Great marriage of flavors with an amazing balance. A hint of banana is the first flavor I notice and it seems to blend with a mild honey note. The brew dries out a little late palate leading into mild lemon and almost herbal notes, much milder than what I'd expected from the nose. Slightly saltiness kicks in with some residual fruity sweetness. Mild to moderate phenols enter late palate with a crushed-aspirin-like bitterness with a lemon peel edge. Finish is dry with moderate bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with a moderate carbonation. I'm actually really impress with the carbonation. Most Belgians, and tripels specifically often seem over the top with carbonation. Westmalle's Tripel struck a great balance between smooth and crisp.

D - Well, first of all tripels aren't really my thing, but if I had to drink one, this would definitely be it. My only regret is not trying this brew sooner; perhaps this will spark an interest in the style. I wouldn't want more than one but it's a pretty exceptional experience with a style that doesn't generally cater to my tastes. A must have.

Poured a white all-head which left a lasting white merengue floater. Hazed lemonade yellow color. Smell has sweet fruit and spice. Taste again has the fruit but it's dry and the taste is more along tropical fruit. There's also spice. A sour rye aftertaste persists in a fairly long finish.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.21/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a wine glass. Beautiful to look at, prodigious head with staying power that I could easily bring back with a few swirls of the glass. Well saturated golden color. This beer laced all the way down the side of the glass with aplomb. The yeast esters were readily apparent in this beer, it had some of that banana you'd be looking for in a tripel. In addition to that I got some lemon notes, more lemon pulp than peel. Spicing was more coriander than clove, also got some nutmeg in there. Finished pretty dry despite the sugars, more dry than the St. Bernardus Tripel I had alongside this one. There was a funky quality to the Westmalle that I wasn't expecting, but it did make for a really interesting drinking experience. I hesitate to say it was earthy, but it was a definite (non-Brett) funk that I don't recall having in other more straightforward tripels where belgian yeast byproducts and candied sugar is the predominant flavor profile. This was a wonderful beer that I'd happily have again. Preferably if someone else buys a bottle for me, it's not cheap.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

A - poured into a chalice that beautiful gold, nice head, though not as high as the Chimay tripel.

S - bready, yeasty. grape-like aromas. Very good.

T - A little sweet in a vinous sense, but not a complaint. Phenolic and spicy, but not as in your face as some other tripels.

M - Light and fluffy, belying its strength.

D - If someone wants to buy me Westmalle at my favorite beer bar, I'll drink them until I can drink no more. A classic.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.41/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Served cool.

A-fluffy white head, gold almost roan cloudy body.

S-slight vegetable, yeast, clove spice

T-some cotton candy, slight boozy warmth, coarse hop (medicinal)

M-medium and very fizzy

D-This was a nice beer that I would have again but I have to say it was somewhat coarse. Maybe it was an old bottle or something like that but it certainly was rougher than what I expected.

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

This will be my second Trappist Ale, I just wanted something a bit high class for today. Sadly, once again the second I popped the top on this one, it overflowed. Ahh well, I poured in into a Chalice onto the review.

Appearance: As I said, the bottle overflowed when it was opened, so I was in a bit of a rush to pour. A solid thumb of sustaining but not lacing head was the result. The beer's body has very fine carbonation hidden within it's cloudy yellow depths. There is quite a lot of yeast sediment with this one, especially near the bottom of the glass.

Smell: You can very clearly smell the alcohol as it is clearly dominant and is in need of being reigned in. Smells more like a white wine then a beer, as grapes and notes of apricots, orange peel and yeast are in the background.

Taste: Once again, you can clearly notice the high alcohol content, which is hurting this beer for me. Starts with a sweeter, calm sweet malt an fruity taste that builds into somewhat excessively strong crescendo as yeast and sour apples make thier presence know. It is then abruptly silenced by a strong alcohol presence which itself is reigned in somewhat by earthy and herbal hops.

Mouthfeel: Well the aftertaste doesn't linger, which is good. The carbonation, makes it's presence known throughout the beer. However, the high alcohol content isn't masked very well as it offers a bit of a acidic solvent feeling.

Drinkability: I dunno, I can't see wanting more then one of these at a time. The sour and sweet elements don't mesh that well, the high alcohol content doesn't make for good sessioning, and honestly is more of a wine then a beer. That and the high carbonation is causing a bit of belching.

Final Thoughts: I'll be honest, I'm disappointed by this beer. That is probably because I'm not much of a wine drinker, and this beer drinks more like a wine. In this case, I feel that too much effort went into making this beer a "high class" beer and it just isn't doing anything for me. I mean, it's ok and I'd take it if it were offered (although I somehow doubt that would be the case) but I can't in good faith, score it that highly.

Edit: <Whoops, forgot to talk about the appearance>

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

3.94/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From notes taken 01/22/17:

On the back of the bottle it says best before 12/12/15. Okay, I should have had it sooner, but this is a 9.5% beer so I am not too terribly worried. I’ll review it aged for now, and if I think to, I’ll review it again fresh.

Honey amber, opaque and swirly with haze, but also a suspended matrix of semi-fine flecks. Bright off-white watery but rocky, and film-forming head of moderate retention. Lacing is thick and wide but sinks down quickly. Very sweet nose, a sweet white wine, light berries, some fresh-squeezed orange juice, esters and mild medicinal phenols, and a touch of vinegar, alcohol very much hidden, detectable with longer whiffs. As it sits, barely anything but caramel, soapy phenols, a drier white wine, a little yeast, and booze left to nose. And this more or less describes the palate as well, although caramel partly substituted with malt tartness, and the addition of brewing herbs or spices barely noticeable in the balance. Fairly yeasty and somewhat vinous aftertaste, though phenols and ethanol linger. I’d call it full-bodied but it is so creamy with abundant and fine tingly carbonation that everything else seems watery. Plenty of heat.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

3.71/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev -11.2%

I have to admit that Westmalle is usually the Trappist that I pass on most often. After tasting the Dubbel the other night though, and being thoroughly intrigued, I decided it was time to give the Tripel another go. Poured in to my Westmalle chalice (thanks Julios) an inviting slightly dark golden color. Heading was awesome, big, white and fluffy, with many tiny air bubbles racing toward the head. Aroma is surprisingly clean, almost pilsner like in its dryness. I guess I was expecting a little bit more fruit or spice from the smell. Taste starts off with a big splash of hop bitterness, with traces of pineapple, pear and pepper in the back. It leaves the palate slightly numb after swallowing. Body is medium, and drinkability is high. Having said that though, this beer is incredibly complex, so I would advise drinkers to take their time with this one. I still can't say that Tripel is a style that I am overly fond of, but this stuff deserves respect. Like I said before, complex.

4.43/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours solid gold in color with a rolling, bubbly, long lasting white head that lingers all through the session. Heavy lacing along the glass.

Banana and lemon dominate the aroma profile, with just a hint of something spicy.

Banana nut Bread sweetness up front, with lemons and spices mingling mid palate and finishing spicy with just a hint of vanilla of all things.

Dry, with a medium carbonation and just a hint of heat.

I can drink this one any place any time. Truly an excellent brew.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle