Westmalle Trappist Tripel | Brouwerij Westmalle

10%

Ratings: 4,575 |  Reviews: 1,756

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.43/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bright yellow gold with a crisp white, billowing head. One of the softest foams I've ever seen, leaving thick lacing down the glass.

Scent is yeasty with a hint a sweetness and alcohol.

Taste is malty and sharp. A little sweetness and alcohol, similar to the smell.

Nice refreshing carbonation yet still smooth.

Complex but drinkable.

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From a 750 ml bottle to a Westmalle chalice.

Bottled on 12/02/2013 and enjoyed on 14/02/2014.

A: slightly cloudy hay/gold colored with a fluffy white head that lasts for quite a while. When the head finally does break it leaves nice lacing and a thin film of foam.

S: cloves, spices, Belgian yeast and some fruits like banana.

T: spices, cloves, a peppery taste, yeast, and a bookings that sticks around.

M: higher carbonation with a medium body.

O: a very nice tripel with a lot of character. I really liked the spice and pepperyness of this beer. I found this beer got even better as it came to room temperature. All the cards on the table, I prefer the dubbel over this, but it is still a damn fine beer.

4.11/5  rDev -4.4%

Cloudy, golden color with a creamy, thick head. Nothing unique in the aroma, typical (or maybe this one sets the standard) for Belgian Tripels. Personally, I thought the alcohol came across stronger than the 9.5% stated but it was still smooth and balanced. Viscosity was a bit thicker leaving an obvious coating on the roof of my mouth. It didn't last long and the aftertaste was earthy and a bit fruity. I love Belgian Tripels so it is rare that I can score one average or lower.

4.04/5  rDev -6%

Bottle dated best by 30/01/15 into a tulip glass. This is only my second Trappist brew and I'm pretty sure it's my first tripel.

Cloudy, light copper color with a decent sized, bubbly head that dissipated pretty quickly leaving a very thin head afterward with some lacing on the glass. Good amount of bubbles floating up. Held up to the light I can see some floaties of some kind in there.

The initial aroma really surprised me because it immediately brought back memories of stroh's beer that I drank back in the 80's. It surprised me because I was expecting an exotic aroma but instead was reminded of some cheap beer I drank in high school and college. It actually worried me a little about what the taste was going to be like. Now that it's poured the smell has evolved some and is getting nicer. Sweet with a little funk poking its head out.

The taste is wonderful! I am not great at picking out flavors but I am getting a very nice, light sweetness and some barnyard funk. Really delicious.

The mouthfeel is great. Just the right amount of carbonation and a creaminess without being heavy that suits my palate just right.

Overall I like this much better than my only other Trappist brew which was Orval. I highly recommend this one and would buy another in a heart beat!

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle