Westmalle Trappist Tripel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Ratings: 4,548 |  Reviews: 1,749
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Hazy bright orange colour, nearly 2 fingers of white head, some lace. Smell is malty and yeasty up front, fruity, orange and some green apple, light hop crispness with floral notes and whisps of alcohol. Taste is spicy, yeast, a floral hop bite is underneath the yeast and spices, fruit in the way of orange and light citrus, nice dry finish with a yeasty aftertaste. High zippy carbonation, medium body, excellent feel for this style for me. Great tripel, one of the best I have had for sure, very drinkable and something I will come back to often.

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of Westmalle's Trappist Tripel a couple weeks ago for $5.49 at The Lager Mill. I was in the mood for a good Tripel so I decided to give this beer a shot, I see this is rated the 2nd best Tripel in the world on BA, I am pretty excited to try it so lets see how it goes. It had a best buy date of 4/05/13. Poured from a brown Trappist 11.2oz bottle into a chalice.

A- The label is pretty plain but it has a nice clean and classic look to it. It poured a hazy golden honey color with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. One proper looking Tripel.

S- The aroma is very yeasty and fruity. It starts off with a pretty fruity aroma that mainly consists of different types of apples and pears along with some bananas and a slight pineapple aroma along with a real light grainy malt aroma. After that comes the Belgian yeast which adds those typical spice aromas like cloves, nutmeg, orange peel, and a little bit of coriander. I don't get much hops or alcohol in the aroma but I do get a little candied sugar. This Tripel has a nice aroma, I like the balance between fruits and spicy yeast, I like it.

T- The taste follows the nose nicely and is pretty similar. It starts out with all those fruits that I picked out in the aroma but it's the pears that stick out the most along with a little bit of pineapple. Next comes the Belgian yeast which imparts some nice spice flavors like clove, nutmeg, and Coriander, the yeast seems to stick out the most which is pretty typical and nice. I got some candied sugar towards the end that gave this beer a high amount of medium sweetness and I got a slight bit of alcohol, it also had a low amount of bitterness on the finish and a fruity and yeasty aftertaste. This beer tasted nice and clean, the flavors were balanced well and right where they should be.

M- Smooth, crisp, a little dry, medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good but I wish the carbonation was toned down just a little.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought that I was a very good Tripel that is for sure worthy of the title of second best Tripel in the world. This beer had great drinkability, it went down very smooth with hardly any alcohol coming through, this bottle went down faster then expected and if I had another one and nothing to do tomorrow then another one would be pretty hard to turn down. What I liked most about this beer was pretty much everything, I especially liked the way it looked and how great the balance between the fruits and the spicy yeast. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of carbonation, I know this style should have a higher amount of carbonation but this one was a little to high, but it didn't affect the beer that much. I would for sure buy this beer again, it's a little pricey, but it's worth every penny and would make a great beer for special occasions. I highly recommend this beer, if Tripel's are your thing they don't get much better then this. I was really impressed with this beer, I expected a lot from it and it really did deliver, I think it is worth all the praise it gets. So far this is the best Tripel I have had, it is exactly how a good Tripel should be, Great job Westmalle, you can bet that I will be searching out the Dubbel and extra. This is one world class Tripel.

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a tulip. 2 finger foamy head with nice lacing; high retention. Poured a hazy yellow-wheat color with a citrus & yeast aroma. Citrus also predominant in the taste, primarily lemon, with a peppery flavor. Floral notes with clove also present. Crisp, dry mouthfeel with fair amount of carbonation. Overall, this is a fantastic tripel.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle at cafe trappisten in Westmalle. Poured into Westmalle chalice. Tall fluffy white head tops off the glass, high retention. Soapy, sticky lacing. Golden bidy, high clarity.  Aroma is fruity, slightly hoppy with a nice yeast smell profile. Taste is also nice and fruity, some banana from the yeast. Pairs well with spicy mustard and a light cheese.  Delicious, of course.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a two finger sudsy head into a chalice, cloudy light honey colored, good retention which could easily be regenerated with a swirl of the glass, slick lacing, yeasty brown bits floating on top and on the bottom of the glass

Smell is grassy, ethanol, floral hops, apricot

Taste follows the nose with some pepper coming through (my favorite aspect of this one), complexity grew as it warmed giving me some carmelized apple as well.

Medium bodied and not overly carbonated, this brew had a refreshing bitter kick, dry but not sweet.

A great complex tripel that is a definite "buy it when you see it"

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Bright and golden with frothy long lasting head

S: Smells like light fruits similar to pears and bubblegum. Very pleasant on the nose.

T: Beautiful clove and grape notes mixed with complementary hops that are bold and complex as the dryness increases on the back end.

M: Very dry and easy drinking especially on a hot summer day.

O: This was a delicious beer to have. I recommend sharing with others. :)

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

330ml Bottle - from the bank street lcbo for 3.75$

Appearance - Hazy yellow/amber colour with a large size fizzy and frothy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation and there is some really good lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Lemon, grains, banana, yeast, clove/coriander, floral

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste lemons, bananas, and grains mixed with a honey sweetness. There is also some floral notes mixed with clove/pepper/coriander. It ends with a floral/spicy lemon aftertaste.

Overall - A beer that deserves its high score. The taste and smell are fantastic and it has a gorgeous appearance in the glass. One of the better tripels I've had and I look forward to drinking the rest of the bottles I picked up.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Attractive cloudy golden hue with a solid two fingers worth of bubbly stark white foam head. Very good retention and good lacing.

S: Strong orchard fruits (pear & apple) in addition to tropical fruits (banana & pineapple), yeast, spices (pepper & cloves), and an underlying buttered bread aroma. Also picking up a gummy candy-like scent. Can't believe how much fruit is in the aroma, and both tropical and orchard varieties. Wonderful and diverse smell.

T: Sweet pear, tangy and tart pineapple, bitter pepper, floral elements, and a bread-like malt backbone. Fantastic contrast between sugars and bitters with a great equilibrium reached. Alcohol hardly evident.

M: Full bodied with a moderate carbonation for the style. Incredibly oily and viscous with a slight chewy texture and lingering dryness that works.

D: An exceptional tripel. The balanced quality of this coupled with the potent fruit elements makes this a winner for me.

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a murky honey golden color with visible yeast, with a soapy, 4 finger, white head. Retention is amazing, especially consider the high ABV. Very appealing.

S - Light spice, fruity esters, biscuity yeast, orange peel, coriander, pilsner malt, and light floral notes. Well balanced, inviting, though a bit reserved.

T - The delicious yeast is the most prominent note on the tongue, as it should be. The spice and fruit esters are very reserved, which is a bit unfortunate in my book. Hops come into play only where the need to, as it's a bit sweet. Alcohol does come through on the finish. While it could be hidden better, it's not obtrusive. Very well balanced.

M - Light bodied, crisp, and dry on the finish. Ideal, considering the style.

D - As the originator of the style, this is a very good beer, though I think I've had better tripels. I'd certainly give it try.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%