Westmalle Trappist Tripel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-06-2000

Reviews: 1,722 | Ratings: 4,459
3.77/5  rDev -11.9%

A - Pours a nice head with a decent ring of lace over a copper tinted straw body.

S - Floral hops, lillies, and gumball.

T - Floral character with some malt and citrusy zest.

M - Very slick, thin and very refreshing.

D - Good, this would go well will some foods. Abv makes sessioning a bad idea. I will have to have this again sometime.

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a murky honey golden color with visible yeast, with a soapy, 4 finger, white head. Retention is amazing, especially consider the high ABV. Very appealing.

S - Light spice, fruity esters, biscuity yeast, orange peel, coriander, pilsner malt, and light floral notes. Well balanced, inviting, though a bit reserved.

T - The delicious yeast is the most prominent note on the tongue, as it should be. The spice and fruit esters are very reserved, which is a bit unfortunate in my book. Hops come into play only where the need to, as it's a bit sweet. Alcohol does come through on the finish. While it could be hidden better, it's not obtrusive. Very well balanced.

M - Light bodied, crisp, and dry on the finish. Ideal, considering the style.

D - As the originator of the style, this is a very good beer, though I think I've had better tripels. I'd certainly give it try.

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%

A - big frothy pouffy mereonge on top of cloudy yeasty lemon honey beer.

S - slightly yeasty. Bready with fant ester notes.

T - subtle dances between yeast and malts. Splashes of fruity ester blasts. A little bit of fusil burn. After a large glass it gets harder to taste everything. Aftertaste is harsher than I expected.

M - fusil burn is manageable. Beer goes down well.

D - not as flavorful as the dubbel but a pleasure.

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%

This brew pours a medium head of fine to large sized bubbles that left an excellent lacing and a cloudy yeasty light orange brown body. It has a mild yeast-malt aroma and a strong yeast bread flavor. The mouthfeel is initially tingling but soon diminsihes. This is indeed a very nice well rounded brew.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Aroma is of tart fruit....yeast....and a whiff of alcohol. Not surprising for the ABV.

Pours a nice, dark blonde color. Thin head.

Tastes initially semi-sweet, but fades into somewhat of a tart grape fruitiness that reminds me of a relaxed version of some pinot gris I've had. Spiciness is minimal. Some yeast is apparent on the backend. A little bit of citrus peel hops dance on the back of the tongue at the swallow. Alcohol is noticeable from the first drink on the exhale, although it isn't to the point of being a serious distraction.

Drier and less spicy than others I've had, this is still a tasty beer...at 7 bucks a bottle, it is something I'd only buy sometimes. Among tripels, I tend to favor the sweeter, spicier ones, so this wouldn't fall among the upper echelon.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from the bottle to a hazy golden orange with thick, white, foamy head that hung around until mid glass, and left decent lacing. At first, aroma was spicy, fruity (apples and grapes) and a hint of alcohol. As beer warmed, the alcohol became more dominant in the aroma, although fruit was still slightly noticeable. Flavor was similar to aroma, with alcohol presence continuing to strenghten as beer warmed, although fruit, especially apples, remained strong as well. My only critcism of this beer is that the strong alcohol presence influenced the finish more than I would have liked, but still a good beer

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

330ml bottle, poured into La Chouffe tulip.

A: Amber, hazy, small head that disappeared quickly. Not much lacing.

S: Phenol, fairly hoppy.

T: Clove, hoppy bitterness, some banana, bitter finish, slight boozy burn.

M: Smoothish, heavy thick texture, moderate carbonation.

O: I've sampled a few other tripels and this didn't really stand out as being great. It hid the booze quite well but as with Westmalle Dubbel I couldn't say I was impressed.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a hazy light copper with a frothy long-lasting 2 finger head. Only small chunks of lacing clung to the glass for a short period of time. Nice fruity aroma with some bready/yeasty notes and a slight alcohol detection. Flavors are full and rounded, balancing well. Fruity esters and a nice bready maltiness to balance. Some citrus, maybe oranges or tangerines. Slightly tart, making the back of my mouth tingle. Hints of alcohol also in the flavor. Hop bitterness also comes through, but in a pleasant fashion. Mouthfeel is medium viscocity, tongue coating and nicely carbonated. Overall this is an excellent sipping beer, with the flavors melding and blending so much better as it warms. A definite must-try for any Belgian fan.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Gonna take me a while to get this 330ml bottle in here, the head is huge and my pour was not particulary aggressive, headed straight over and out of my pint glass if I'm not careful. It's a combination of creamy and soapy. As it (very slowly) subsides, there is lots of thick lacing. The body is a cloudy golden color.

The smell is surprisingly subtle. That is a good thing, with smells of fruit, spice, and a bit of alcohol all evident at the right levels.

The alcohol is a bit more evident in the taste. The spice and the fruit are still there and still good, but I'd like to have a bit less of the alcohol heat.

The alcohol makes the mouthfeel a bit harsh, but the carbonation is well done and makes it ok in the end.

This is good for the bottle, but a bit much for a whole session. Definitely worth trying.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured a hazy golden straw with almost an inch of head that fell away pretty quickly.
Smell is very spicy and sweet. Some underlying alcohol is also present.
Quite a dry, almost tart sour taste hits first. Luckily some of the sweetness comes back into play quite quickly. The spicy flavour lingers for a while.
I found the mouthfeel to be a little watery, not in a bad way but not quite what I was expecting.
A nice beer but I wouldn't hunt it down again in a hurry. I've had better Tripels.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Has a massive big head, and a golden yellow color.

Great aroma of wheat, yeast and a refreshing bitterness.

Has a beautiful balance of wheat, sugar and some bitter hoppy notes. Perfect smooth mouthfeel with a dry ending supported by the carbonation which is present but not distracting, adds freshness to the beer. No spices present, but a nice bitterness at the end, which goes along with an overall sweet character, lovely combination. Bitterness never grows too present.

3.74/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured into a snifter. Dark golden color with a perfect white colored head that stays till the end. Excellent carbonation.

Smell is subtle, with nothing too pungent. I smell citrus, a little yeast, and not much else.

It's light and smooth tasting. Citrus yes, but I don't get much more. Great carbonation and not much of an aftertaste.

Overall it's good and very drinkable. I know it's more complex than I am picking up, but to me it comes off as a very simple beer. I would have it again if looking for something light and interesting.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours a hazy yellow into a tulip, small bits of yeast clinging to themselves. A large billowy pure-white foamy head fade fairly rapidly to a single finger within a few minutes of the initial pour.

A big yeasty whiff with a bready malted grain smell fill my senses immediately. The lightest hint of cloves and black pepper, perhaps other spices as well as a fruity smell.

Heavy on the yeast tastes as well. This big Belgian is big on sweetness; both alcoholic and malt. Fairly light bodied and dry with only a bit of an alcohol taste.

Pretty light-bodied for such a big beer, refreshingly light, but not thin. Drinkability is fairly good considering the style and big ABV.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

I'm pouring at 63 degrees into an 11oz snifter.

It pours with a hazy light amber/golden color with a thick head that sticks around for a while. Very little lacing. It reminds me of other Trappist products I've seen before, mostly Chimay.

It's smell is very nice, very subtle. It's a bit sour, but citrus sour. Lemons maybe. I can smell the alcohol for sure (9.5%), but it's not overpowering, I can still smell the beer itself.

I haven't had many trippels, but I think this is about the same as the ones I've had before. The initial taste is very light, but still very hard to get past the alcohol. It's very complex, hard to really get a feel for everything that's going on in this beer. For me, that's not a bad thing, it just makes me want to drink more so I can taste it all! The finish is slightly bitter, maybe a little citrus sour. I've come to recognize this as a "Belgian Ale" thing. The finish kind of catches in the back of your throat and gives for an interesting aftertaste.

I like the amount of carbonation, it seems to compliment the bitter finish. It's not thick, but not thin, I think this has a very nice mouthfeel. As for drinkability, I'll say I'm not going to shy away from this beer, but I doubt I'll buy a case anytime soon. It's got good characteristics, but it's just not something I would drink every day.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance: Westmalle Tripel pours a opaque and cloudy orange colour along with a amazingly thick and fuzzy egg white crown which leaves a circle marked of lacing along the glass.

Smell: Fruity, pineapple, a subtle yet clear scent of yeast. Fresh. Sweet. Simple yet distinct.

Taste: That which strikes me first concerning this beer is that for a trappist, it is surprisingly bitter, dry might be a word better apt (but then again, that's more likely to belong in the category below). Not all that sweet - as one would expect from a trappist as well - either, but a certain sweetness similar to that of cardamom occasionally pops up. The aforementioned dryness, however tends to dominate the other tastes.

Mouthfeel: Round and smooth towards the palate, with a warming finish (due to the alcohol content).

Drinkability: I find this trappist interesting, but sadly a bit too unbalanced (or incoherent if you like) in the primary category, namely "taste" and thus it renders the - once again - for a trappist, rather mediocre score.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

12 ounce poured into a chalice.

A - Poured golden with a huge white head that subsided to a 1/4 inch head. Good lacing.

S - Smells of fruits, spices and sweet.

T - Spicey, fruity, and some alcohol warmth.

M - Very dry with high carbonation.

D - Pretty easy, alcohol would be a killer.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours a beautiful goldne orange with a white froth head that rises and rises, setiments of yeast will fall into the glass. The smell is of apricots with a nice honey grain. A hint of banana yeast will water the mouth. Cloves and other spices will creep in. The taste is crisp, with a toasty banana liquor, a apricot sauce will add sweetness, exotic spices will warm the throat. Definetely a strong toasty beer.

3.72/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a very thick but light white head on top of a golden-yellow body. The head does persist longer than on most beers but looks about average for a Trappist, a bit on the light side actually.

It smells very fruity, my premonition is apricot, and a lingering spice of cinnamon or nutmeg surrounding the nose.

Its taste is cunning, like a traditional belgian, but it lacks the same power of certain Trappists. The more I drink though the better it gets, but I think where this beer is lacking for me is the yeast. I like the crispness that the tight carbonation provides but I think it could go further to exploit the Belgiam yeast that makes the Trappist so special. Although it may just need a few more years in the bottle before it lives up to the expectations of beers like Rochefort.

Its a nice beer but I do think it is a bit overpriced. Maybe I'm paying for tradition or something but I do believe that its more than I would expect to pay for something unaged and a bit rough around the edges, but overall and above average beer.

3.72/5  rDev -13.1%

A golden good heading appearance. Fruity, malty smell, even a little hoppines and isn't that coriander in the background. Nicely in balance conforming style.
Light sweet/bitter taste, including the sence of fruit and malt. Full body. Dry sticky mouthfeel and a nice hoppy, spicy aftertaste.

Yes, according style a nice beer, but I prefer Westmalle dubbel.

3.72/5  rDev -13.1%

Westmalle Tripel pours two fingers of dense foam over a cloudy
yellow brew. The nose is rich fruit (fig and banana) so typical of
the style. the flavor is bright malt with herbal hop notes and a more
grassy hop finish. Alcohol tang is an important part of the flavor and
mouthfeel both- at 11.2% it's strong without being too overbearing.
As the brew warms the alcohol comes back under control, but it's
still a bit raw. Very very dry. Well worth a try, but a sipper for certain.

3.72/5  rDev -13.1%

A - I poured this beer as carefully as i could and it still produced a massive 3 finger foamy white head. Grainy, cloudy golden yellow color. Nice spotty lacing with decent retention.

S - Nice fruity aroma, with strong pear aroma's and hints of citrus and mango. Quite earthy with a slight hop presence.

T - Not as sweet as i expected. Quite dry and really spicy up front. I dont know what the spices are but i guess people have found pepper and cardamom. I wish the taste followed the smell more closely.

M - Extremely dry on the palate, and at the back of the tongue. Very crisp and fine carbonation.

D - I enjoyed this beer, bur the flavor was not my favorite in this style. Its drinkable, but given the dryness, i doubt i would want to drink more than one in a sitting.

3.72/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle dated "Best Before 01/03/12." Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: I tried to pour carefully but some sediment got in causing a hazy amber body with little almost no head, the head was white.

S: Slightly tart citrus fruit and some light malt hints.

T: Lemon upfront with pepper meshing well, there's a slight alcohol taste at the end. There's a lot going on, but this is what stands out. I can't say I'm a big fan.

M: Very crisp, medium bodied with sharp carbonation.

O: I'm not sure if the dating is European or American, if it's European, which I expect, then this is still before the best before date. If not then this may be bordering on too old to enjoy. I'll have to try this fresher.

3.71/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a 750ml corked bottle with a tall, soft head. The aroma is a little sour at first, but soon turns to a milder, Duvel-like aroma of creamy pale malts. The flavor is sweeter and maltier than the other big Trappist tripel, Chimay White. There's a bit of farmhouse funk in the malt, and drop of candy and caramel. It finishes with an obscured hops flavor that's grapefruit-y, but buried under the malt. Overall, I don't think the flavor is that amazing. Yes, it is quite nice, but not my favorite tripel. The carbonation is spot on, but a hint of alcohol detracts from it.

375ml bottle with best by date of 05/08/11 poured into a Chimay goblet

a - deep, hazy golden color, two-inch white head with awesome retention and lacing, really great looking beer

s - very yeasty and bready aroma, notes of lemon citrus and white pepper, light boozy heat

t - mildly sweet and spicy lemon and white pepper up front, midpalate is pretty yeasty with a sourdough bread component, more lemon and pepper on the finish with a surprisingly strong bitterness that really dries out the finish, decent amount of alcohol heat

m - medium-bodied, moderate to slightly higher carbonation, well-balanced finish that is on the dry side, good amount of alcohol warming

d - decent in terms of drinkability, but the alcohol is definitely more noticeable than many examples of the style I've had, and there is a bitterness that I've not encountered in most other tripels, overall, however, it's not too harsh on the palate and there is a decent amount of complexity in the flavors that keep it interesting

This beer's entry into the top 100 made me realize I'd never actually tried it. Pretty decent tripel, overall, but I've definitely had other examples of the style I've enjoyed much more.

3.71/5  rDev -13.3%

Had this before, but reviewing for the first time.

Appearance- A nice light gold. Quite cloudy. Three inches of full, creamy, meringue-like head. A huge, rocky dome, on the level of a Duvel. Laces beautifully. Settles very slowly.

Smell- Strong yeast. A little grain. Some lemon zest, clove and grass clippings.

Taste- Very sharp, almost pops. Some grain, and lots of the strong yeast. Lemon, clove, peppery. The grain really comes through, and it gets astringent. The booze is stronger than I'd expect. It's a little overwhelming.

Mouthfeel- Nice. Good solid body.

Drink- A little boozier than I expected.

This one is grass + grains + booze + lemon. It's a nice beer, but not a favorite.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle