Westmalle Trappist Tripel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Ratings: 4,547 |  Reviews: 1,748
4.89/5  rDev +14.3%

3.48/5  rDev -18.7%

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

From a bottle I picked poured into a goblet glass. Date of 3/01/08 on the bottle yet not to sure what that means.

The color of this seems to be right on for the style. The color is a hazy amber color with hints of gold all throughout it. Also, a light amount of carbonation and sediment setting within it. A light, creamy head, rather frothy.

The smell on this is great. Very fragrant as I could smell it from a half a foot away when I was pouring it. Lots of fruit, smell of honey, deep grapes smell almost like red wine, apricot, also a bit of lime and other citrusy flavor coming off it, also a bit of yeast. Wow, I can't get it out of my head who much it smells like a burgundy or cabarnet or other big red wine.

Taste is a good mix of yeast flavors, mixed in with the lime and orange that I can smell as well. Also, I can taste the sugar that is supposed to be in it a little bit but not as much as I expected; yet still adds a bit of sweetness that I think is necessary for the complexity of the flavor profile. After the fruit and sweetness, the flavor fades away into the deep warming alcohol taste which is not over bearing at all given the alcohol content for this one. Have to say that the alcohol taste fits in pretty well wit the rest and offsets the fruit flavor rather well. Can also taste a bit of the red wine smell as well, could say maybe even date a bit. I also love the warming features of this beer. The alcohol does a superb job of keeping you nice and warm and a great beer to drink on a cold winter's night.

The mouthfeel is pretty nice on this one overall. Once we start drinking hit with a lot of carbonation in the mouth overall and that carbonation does not die down to quickly either. I really like that the carbonation does not leave at all but it sticks around for a long while in the mouth. Can taste a bit of bit of alcohol leaving at the end and that is the mouthfeel at the end is almost numbing from the alcohol taste at the end.

Overall, a good beer and one that I would not mind picking up a few others. I am kinda curious to try the dubbel as well since the Westmalle brewery definitely left a good impression on me. A bit of a sipper beer and a lot of alcohol so not one you could drink too many off at one time. Definitely a big beer and one that challenges you at first especially given the alcohol content and taste. One of the most fragrant beers I have ever set my nose upon.

4.11/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.16/5  rDev -2.8%

Best By 12/16/16

L-The beer pours a pale yellow until I botch the decanting as usual. The head is significant. it is foamy white and about 2 fingers in height. Lacing is moderate and lasting.
S- The nose is sweet with honey and candied fruit. I wanna say peach, but that isn't quite right. Nectarine maybe. Alcohol finishes the nose only after the sweetness has played itself out.
T-The initial sips were a little on the rough side. This bottle is getting older and I can't vouch for the storage. Alcohol is more than present. Bottom line is I'm drinking this too cold. After warming some the beer smoothes out nicely and mimics what I expected from the nose. The honey and fruits up front with some candy sweetness which is cut some by the warming alcohol at the finish.
F- The beer is highly carbonated. The prickliness of the carbonation helps smooth the transition of sweetness to the alcohol in the finish. Medium overall mouthfeel despite the high carb levels.
O- Obviously the beer is a really good example of the Tripel style. You know since they are one of the originators. Still I find this one a little strong on the alcohol presence for my personal tastes. I might enjoy this one more if it were on the younger side.

I've been aging this beer for about 2 years I think and it has a date on the lable of 18/05/08, hey that's today! Decided to drink this one today.

Quite a bit of sediment on the bottom so I put this one in the fridge for at least an hour and poured slowly. Poured a pale to golden color with minimal head, active bubbles race up from the side and center of the glass. A little stirring does produce about half an inch of foam.

Aromas of bananas, pears, apples, cherries, strawberries and a bit of alcohol. Very fruity and mellow. A little yeast and spices comes through as the beer breathes.

Taste is a bit boozy but with a complex and harmonious fruitiness. After a few sips I begin to taste the apples, pears, a bit of banana, and cherries. A bready flavor in the finish and aftertaste along with some bitterness.

Very carbonated, a bit prickly on the tongue and cheeks but goes down fairly smooth. The mouthfeel does smooth out after it gets to room temp.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

A-Pours a super,hazy,murky orange with a serious 3 inch,meringue-like,bone white crown that had excellent retention and left concentric rings on my tulip glass.

S-Dry spice(clove,cardamom,white pepper),blonde tobacco,dried flowers and toffee.

T-Golden raisin,pear,clove,candy sugar and floral qualities similar to honeysuckle and lavender.

M-Medium bodied with great complexity and depth of flavor.Slight,fruity alcohol burn.

D-Good drinkability with an extremely well-maintained ABV.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.28/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pale yellow with green highlights. It has a white bubbly head that leaves a nice trail of lace.

Sour citrus yeast and floral bouquet in the nose.

Hoppy citrus sour yeast punch backed by a nice roasted malt. Notes of sour cherry, oak, nut, biscuit, and whole grain.

Westmalle Trappist Tripel from Brouwerij Westmalle