Westmalle Trappist Dubbel | Brouwerij Westmalle

trappistwestmalle.be

Style: Dubbel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Ratings: 2,723 |  Reviews: 1,225

Deep purplish brown with fluffy khaki head that lasts. Aroma of cookie, caramel, grape cola, herbal notes. Tastes evolves over time: cola, grape, caramel, cookie, herbal notes, mild earth, banana, some grass and veggie aftertaste. Medium bodied with high carbonation. Creamy and bubbly and dry. The beer evolves as its sipped. A beautiful legendary beer that is still the quintessential Dubbel. A real old world treat. It's our duty to keep buying this beer.

4.98/5  rDev +20%

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Nice foamy head and a great sweet smell. Pours a dark amber with a tan head. First taste is just...WOW. Where have you been all my life? fruity with a nice long bitter finish but nothing overpowering. Great balance. Motuhfeel if soft, not too think, but not too thin. Goes down smooth, this is a beer I could dirnk a lot of. Drank it too fast to be honest. Amazing.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance: Brown with voluminous whitish brown head, takes its time to dissipate, and leaves tons of lacing

Smell: Bready, earthy, malty, fruity, with hints of citrus and oak

Taste: Bready, earthy, malty, fruity, good sweetness here. Some spice and plum, no hints of the abv.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium to full body, medium carbonation

Overall: Excellent. I think I might like this even more than Chimay Grande Réserve. Would absolutely love to have this on a regular basis, unfortunately it isn't too common and isn't cheap either. One of my top beers.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

The tower of doughy foam on this beer is an outrage! It stands more than 8 times taller than the depth of the brown liquid underneath. As it slowly succumbs to gravity I note little flecks of brown on the pearlescent, irregular surface.
The aromas are of concentrated, very ripe fig, plum and wild berries joined by nutmeg, toffee and malt. The flavors are bold and stately, with a glycerin-packed texture that reveals hints of seasoned wood, brandy, grape skins and currants. Balanced to perfection between boozy, brandied fruits and finely milled, papery tannins.

4.96/5  rDev +19.5%

4.96/5  rDev +19.5%

4.94/5  rDev +19%

Pours very dark brown and clear with an impressive off-white head. Smells of malt and light yeast, with some green apple-like scents. Tastes slightly sweet with hints of plum and very light alcohol notes and the noble hops trademark touch of bitterness without the off-putting pine needle cut. Soft and nice carbonation, with a great drinkability factor due to slightly dry finish. This is my personal favorite dubbel style in the solar system, if only they were all made this way.

4.94/5  rDev +19%

Now Quaffing: Westmalle Dubbel

Uniqueness is redefined. A beer that begins its existence in the shadow of its world reknowned big brother has its standards set high before the bottle is even opened. Eager this one is to prove its worthiness. As I crack the top of the signature Westmalle bottle, a volcano erupts reaching for the heavens catching me off guard and making for a sloppy beginning to the pour. Let it be said now, that this, if any was the only flaw I could find with this beer. The final pour resulted in a deep, earthy, reddish-brown body with a lively light beige head that calms quickly, as if to show reassurance in my snifter being its final resting place. The smell dominately sweet, but beyond that nearly indescribable. Imagine smelling every fruit in existence exclusively and all together at the same time--Fruitopia of the Gods. The taste reflects the nose with a symphony of sweetness which is obviously the masterful combination of malts with the trademark belgian touch of sugar and spices. The sweetness is not out of control and there is a hint of yeast and a slight bitterness and crispness to the finish. Mouthfeel is medium in body and very smooth. As far as drinkability goes, I could drink this beer all night with or without food, in a pub or at home, and with a fox or in a box. Praise to Westmalle once again!

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

A - Medium-brown body; nearly opaque. Very fluffy tan head fills out the Westmalle chalice quite nicely. Very active carbonation is visible.

S - The aroma is absolutely heavenly, and unfortunately my words probably won't do it justice. I smell figs, plums, candies, and malt- all in perfect balance. Not a single characteristic overwhelms the others. Quite honestly, I don't believe I've had a beer with a more delightful aroma than this.

T - The taste is beyond wonderful and fantastically complex. Malty sweetness up front (very well controlled), a tiny bit of alcohol warmth in the middle, and the tiniest hint of bitterness round out this heavenly experience. Laugh if you will, but the only food I've paired with this is a sugar cookie last Christmas just for kicks (which, believe it or not, worked very well). It's actually so wonderfully good that I can't imagine pairing it with anything at all (aside from my one-time cookie experiment) for fear of muting the flavor. This one stands well on its own.

M - Again; I don't think this can be topped for the style. The body hovers between some lighter dubbels and heavier quads. The carbonation is perfect- it dances on your tongue without impacting the taste whatsoever.

O - There's no doubt in my mind; this is a fantastic beer. It's by far my favorite dubbel, and I don't think anything else I've tried even comes close. Sadly it's taken me several years to get around to reviewing this (just as I'm lagging behind on reviewing everything else I've tried), but I decided to pop one open tonight and share my thoughts. The price is very reasonable as well- particularly when considering the pricier offerings that can't manage to come close as far as quality.

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

A-Pours a deep dark brown with a lively, off white, three finger head. Takes some time to dissipate, lacing clings to the side as the glass nears empty.

S-Lively and complex. Warm chocolate, toffee, butterscotch, malts, phenols and raisins. Pipe tobacco. The smell is really something amazing, I find myself taking in the aroma before every sip.

T- This is the good stuff! Definitely a warm, chocolaty alcohol note followed by the hops and finally a sweet malty character. The same flavors from the smell are still present. Chocolate, smooth malts, raisin, coriander, bread, honey, milk and sugar. A long lasting mildly sweet aftertaste lingers on the palate. Everything is balanced and in check here. Nothing seems out of place.

M- Wonderfully clean for such a complex beer. Leaves the tongue tingling.

D- Oh yeah. Definitely a sipping beer though. I find myself wanting to take a swig or two but when all those tastes hit my tongue I can't bring myself to do it. A great beer with which to sit and waste the evening away.

Yes! I finally got the chance to try this amazing beer and it was everything I wanted it to be and more. I really wondered if it would live up to the hype but I found it to surpass what I was expecting. I think a glass of this every week would do a body good.

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: 3.75 S: 4.5 T: 4.5 F: 4 O: 4.5
Look: A tan frothy head that quickly dissipated, which might had to do with the bottle overflowing. The body was a dark cloudy brown.

Smell: The nose was malt with caramelized sugar and spices. Notes of dark fruit were also detected, such as plum and raisin.

Taste: It tasted much like the nose, which consisted of the above flavors. There was a slight tartness and bitterness as well.

Feel: Creamy, foamy, and medium bodied.

Overall Impression: This is the second Westmalle Dubbel to foam out of the bottle on me. Luckily, I was able to save much more beer than the first one. Nevertheless, this Dubbel is quite good.

Update 11/4/15. I changed my previous score.

L: Poured into a Chimay chalice. Dark creamy brown body with a tan head that quickly disappeared.

S: Rich sweet caramel and dark fruits, such plum and raisin, are present. Dark toasty malts are included and a slight sugary bubblegum aroma as well.

T: The taste mirrors the smell, but there is a bit of tartness and spiciness near the end.

F: Highly carbonated, smooth, and medium bodied.

O: Much more impressive than the last time I had it. I didn't appreciate it as much before as I had little experience in my first rating.

4.89/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a hazy deep chocolate brown beer with a decent off white to tan colored head.

The scent of this beer makes it hard to concentrate it is so good. The glass is sitting 3 feet away from me and I can very clearly smell its wonderful odor. First scent is really good cognac and spices with sweet honey drizzled in. Baked brown apples made with fresh ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves caresses your nose. Fainter scents of chocolate cake batter and vanilla are back up scent. Best scent ever they should make a cologne that smells like this.

Taste is either going to disappoint or wow me so which is it? It Wows me. Strong flavor of malt and spice massages your tongue in to paradise. Drier flavor than expected from the scent it is balanced. This is a taste that is elusive to describe; it is blended so well that I can't really pull the flavors apart it just plain tastes good. Fruity without letting any one get identified and spicy with only coriander being identifiable. After taste is delicious chocolate cake.

Mouthfeel is creamy.

Drinkability is simply some of the best stuff on Earth! I am going to go drink the sediment in the bottom of the bottle, and I am not joking about that!

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle