Westmalle Trappist Dubbel | Brouwerij Westmalle

4.18/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,747 |  Reviews: 1,232
Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.5/5  rDev -64.1%

1.87/5  rDev -55.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Unsure if I got a bad batch, but my first Westmalle Dubbel was atrocious. The nose had a moderate acid smell followed by typical sweet/bready belgian smell.

The taste was strongly overpowered by an overbearing acid taste. Caused me to dump this very expensive beer down the drain after 3 sips. Disappointed in the waste of money.

2.05/5  rDev -51%

I paid 99 Euro cents for this in Amsterdam:) Just bought a bottle here in 2010 for $5.99. Re-reviewed 8/10 because I'll soon be brewing a westy 12 clone with the Westmalle yeast (Wyeast 3787)

Lightly cloudy dark brown brew forms a HUGE head, despite a very careful pour. When heads are this obnoxious I start subtracting points. Even after the pour, the head continues to rise for a few minutes. The head is airy, with a sea-foam consistency, and is dark beige in color atop medium-sized bubbles. Retention is excellent (there is a delicate espresso crema atop the brew at the bottom of the glass) and lacing is sparse. Carbonation is very strong, forming streamers of bubbles. Aroma is pungent with rotting cherries, Belgian Dark candi sugar syrup, cola, clove, bananas, musk-melon, and eternity for women eau du toilette. Mouthfeel is spritzy and cloying and ends in a wet newspaper oxidized mustiness. Medium body. Taste begins with strong phenols, which become stronger over time, morphing into a menagerie of semi-harsh alcohols. There is a brief glimpse of earthen malts about halfway through. The finish is unpleasant...the odd alcohols are actually bitter in the finish less so than the oxidized bittering hops and there is a ruddy, chemical mouthfeel. There is a lingering buttery sweetness on the gums. The alcohol warms the gullet, but gives me a sick feeling to my stomach. The brew is tolerable after sitting to room temperature, mellowing the carbonation and alcohol, and accentuating the malts. Despite this, the beer is at odds with itself and is not very enjoyable. It's hard to finish this brew.

If I had to sum it up, it tastes like spritzy newspaper soaked in cola and smeared with butter and cherry jam. I love dubbels and have had hundreds of them, but honestly, this is probably one of the worst that I've had.

2.06/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

ruikt niet echt lekker en de smaakkan me niet bekoren

2.25/5  rDev -46.2%

2.3/5  rDev -45%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I guess I have to get another bottle because I don't see what all the excitement is all about. I got none of the malty yeasty sweet flavor you expect from a dubbel. Actually it was not full flavored at all. I would compare it to a Becks dark. Very disappointed.

2.41/5  rDev -42.3%

Poured into a chalice and had a nice dark brown, slightly reddish color, with a decent off-white head. Smell was mostly caramel with hints of alcohol. Smell was a sign of trouble ahead. Did not care for the taste at all. Caramel flavor was overpowering and did not mask the alcohol taste. Needs a bit more body and complexity. Felt harsh on the mouth and actually struggled to finish it. I just may not be a fan of dubbels so take this for what it is worth.

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.59/5  rDev -38%

Big bubbled carbonation quickly sizzles to nothing, leaving a lifeless hazy medium brown with chunks. Uh-oh. Aroma is metallic dull soda that is almost made up for with a cool little yeast funk. Flavor is also soda-like, sweet and vinous. A mix of Bud, a mild rootbeer, and yeast. Finish is rooty and spicy. Big carbonation sizzles on the tongue, harsh with thin body.

Hmm. Interesting, but not impressive. I love their triple even though I don't really care for triples, now I am not impressed by their dubbel although I love dubbels. I am left thinking that either this bottle has had a rough life or other people will worship any monk droppings. I will try this again at a later date and hope for better things.

2.72/5  rDev -34.9%

Appearance: dark brown, froffy head that rapidly reduces to a thin layer of white.

Aroma: Subdued but sweet and tempting. Hints of fruit.

Taste: Initially faintly fruity, then predominantly bitter. Perhaps too bitter for me, and slightly metallic.

Mouthfeel: Too much carbonation, make the drink far too actibe and detracts from the taste. Aftertaste is somewhat astringant.

Drinkability: Happy enough to finish the glass, but will not buy it again

My first evidence that not all trappist beers are nectar from God.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle