Westmalle Trappist Dubbel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Ratings: 2,732 |  Reviews: 1,229
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Makes me want to visit Belgium!

3.91/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From notes taken 01/17/17:

On back of bottle it says best before 12/03/16. I won’t deny I neglected it for a while because I figured it would be basically the same for a year or two, given the higher ABV, although at 7%, this is on the lower end of the ages-well spectrum. What I am not sure of, is whether I should interpret that as March 12th (assuming European dating methods, it is a European beer after all) or December 3rd (assuming American dating methods, it is an imported beer after all). It is either almost a year past its best-by date or basically still fresh (a month and a half past “best”). If I had to guess, given that I purchased it in August of 2016, probably it is still relatively fresh, as opposed to it being fairly old when I bought it.

Deep copper appearance, darker than brandy, lighter than dark rum. Fairly clear but in this glass at least seems slightly metallic. That’s the first pour into this smaller goblet. Second pour contains an abundance of chunk and haze, it is almost entirely opaque, and brown. Head is loose and rocky on the sides, but on the surface and I suspect towards the center, considerably tighter and finer and more uniform, bubbly to frothy with only moderate retention. Smell is moderately roasty/toasty, with subdued phenols and suggestions of toffee, caramel, brown sugar, nuts, even banana. Not a very strong nose for what it is, and with just moderate warmth not even particularly boozy, but still makes me thinks it will be absolutely delicious. One of the most overtly and distinctly toasty beers I have ever had, straying neither too far into toasty nor caramelized sugar territory. Some of this is clearly from the malt, but there is little doubt the phenols come into play here as well. Apart from this we have some mild dark fruit tartness, some apple or pear, brewing spice, and a semi-bitter metallic/phenolic finish. I do prefer this style to be sweeter, heavier, boozier, but this is still very interesting and tasty. Medium-bodied I suppose, hard to tell with how effervescent and velvety it is. A tiny bit of warmth. I paid great attention to detail here, and as much as I hate to sound plebeian, I have to say the American versions of this style I have had have overall been better, so far. There are certainly other Belgians that the Belgians themselves seem to do better.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

How have I gone this long without reviewing this beer, and for that matter even having this beer at all.

A: Maybe I need to get a new glass to put this beer in because I can never get my beer to look like the ones in the pictures. Yes this beer does manage a half inch thick of tightly packed head that fades in about a minute into a cap and leaves sparse lacing for a Belgian beer. Good color on this, dark clear cola, a cherry wood varnish until the yeast is added.

S: It's difficult to get a grasp on all that is going on here. Fruity, nutmegy, slightly boozy, yeasty, mixed with a basemently mustiness. Lots going on here and it's all very good even though I can't parse it all out.

T/MF: Boozy beginning light and crisp in a way that only a Belgian beer can. Very light and bubbly on the tongue but also displaying a slight chewiness that really works well for me. Taste is much like the smell but a bit clearer, cinnamon, nutmeg, dusty slightly fruity and herbal yeastiness. A complexity is displayed here that I am not even going to try to break down because that would be a sin.

D: Don't know how I ever went this long without trying this gem before. Light and crisp though it reminds you of its size in a beginning warmth and finish. An excellent beer from one of my favorite beer makers of all time.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

3.64/5  rDev -12.3%

a bottle that had a drink by Aug 2 2008 date and poured into a Chimay goblet.

A - first off this is what a dubbel should look like. Dark and deep ruby port color with a nice finger and half of dirty creme colored head that was big and puffy. That was one head that stuck around and left some beautiful lacing down the sides.

S - Smells a bit like brown sugar coated dates or French toast with raisin bread. There is also a hint of the alcohol which is surprising given that this has about 3 years of age on it. A bit of some of the red wine and port phenols also appear.

T - Malty and bready on my first sip with just a slight hint of the brown sugar. As the beer goes on, get a bit of grape, both red and yellow grape flavors seem to emerge which give the beer a contrasting flavor profile. The green, dry grape flavor really emerges in the end as it carries on the tongue. Also taste a bit like a brandied christmas pudding filled with dates and honey. Also, the beer is a bit hot for only 7% and given the age, I found it surprising I could taste the alcohol as much as I did. As it warms up, find the alcohol to be a bit dominating and actually give the beer a pecuilar taste that I can't quite but my finger on.

MF - The mouthfeel is full and creamy with a decent amount of carbonation. The after feeling is slightly dry and astringent due to the greener grape flavors, alcohol and carbonation that sit on the tongue.

D - Overall one of the best beers to look at but not to taste. This seems to be an average dubbel as I have had some that were both more complex and tastier. A little more age may due well for this beer to calm down some of the alcohol, but who knows. Overall, it is easy to drink but in terms of a dubbel I'd much rather have a Pere Jacques or Chimay Red. I have to say they blew me away with their tripel but the dubbel not so much.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

Thanks to goodbyeohio for passing off a pair of these...
Dark rust in color with a few fingers off light beige head...very fluffy and leaves spotty, yet thick lacing.
Pleasant aroma...malty, burnt candy sugar, bready yeast.
Taste is very good...brown sugar, roasted malt, dusty, and slight dried fruit flavor.
More sweet than dry in the finish, but not overly so...carbonation is less than anticipated after the pour.
More than just a sipper, but not a style I'd enjoy all evening.
Still solid and worth picking up any time of year.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

The beer pours dark, mahogny colored with a hughe, three finger high, brownbeige, head.

Nose: Brown sugar, dark syrup, hazelnut, fudge, caramel, dark bread, raisin, plum, marzipan, dark fruit, cherries and caramel malt. It's a very beatiful nose!
Taste: Nuts, a hint of roasted malt, caramel, brown sugar, coffee, alcohol, biscuit, hops and burned sugar. The taste isnt really up to the quality of the nose.
Body: Medium to full body. High carbonation. A bitter aftertaste.

A great double!

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Best by 24/01/08, pretty close to the limit.

I let this one warm up a bit before I poured it.

Pours the color of ripe date fruit flesh with about two inches of foam which quickly recedes to a thin layer.

Sweet Belgian candy with dark malts and dark fruits like dates, figs, and raisins. Spices like cinnamon sticks and nutmeg as well as brown sugar or piloncillo. Freshly baked cinnamon rolls.

Taste is of dark fruits both sweet and a bit of sour notes. Caramel malts, pretty sweet in the taste.

The mouthfeel is creamy and well carbonated.

A pleasure to drink.