Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Dubbel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Reviews: 1,189 | Ratings: 2,628
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Very malty nose and flavor. Dryness on the palate is nicely foiled by sweet malty flavors. Notes of raisin and subtle bubblegum. Very clean character, with maltiness masking other (yeast derived) flavors. Pretty one dimensional.

A well crafted beer, but not my favorite trappist. Too malty for a dubbel in my opinion, and not interesting or complex enough.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

(From a champagne goblet)

Appearance: Westmalle Dubbel pours a lovely mahogany-burgundy colour with a cloudiness that renders it almost completely opaque. I didn't see much head, but what was there dissipated quickly, leaving the thin cap of light white bubbles on top.

Smell: The scents are fruity, very fig-like with some red grapes in there, and some cherry at the back, and they're all admirably bold. There's a bit of yeast in the nose too.

Taste: Slightly bitter hoppy beginnings before the fruits take over. I'm getting a bit of that yeast too, but the big thing for me is the grape, and the beer tastes winey, but there's a bit of caramel in there too. All the flavours in this beer are big - nothing hides.

Mouthfeel: This is a medium body with a bold fizz. That well-carbonated finish is arguably a little too much.

Overall: The smell and flavour of the Westmalle Dubbel leave me wanting more and more, but dubbels are easy to come by here in Vancouver so there's a lot of competition for it. I'd usually pick a dubbel with a less aggressive fizz.

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours an orangish brown. The head drops to just cover the beer but is ever present the entire experience. Lacing is moderate throughout. The nose is typical of banana and cloves. But also peppery funk and sweetness. The taste continues the bananas and cloves but also lends to some Tabasco and tea. The dryness also shows itself in the finish. Very drinkable and wonderful.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into the glass a beautiful dark brown/deep red color. Nice, thick tan head that dissipated somewhat quickly.

Aroma is dark fruit: plums raisins, etc. Slightly spicy, too. I'm not getting any banana that has been talked about. A little bit of roast malt, as well.

Flavor is nice and malty up front, moving to spicy in the middle and finishing with a malty, dark fruit flavor. Aftertaste in a mixture of plum and a slight roastiness.

Nice, fully mouthfeel. This bottle is highly carbonated, prickly on the tongue.

Overall, I'd have to say that this is a great beer, and one that I'm really enjoying. Gonna have to get some more.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours dark brown with a light beige head. Has a nice sweet plum/raisin aroma. The spiced fruity flavor is coupled with wonderful abbey yeast compliments you would expect from this brewery. The body was very smooth and went down far too easy. Left me wanting another.

3.27/5  rDev -21.2%

33 cl bottle poured into a tulip shaped pint glas.

Cloudy beer with a brown/dark red color. Off-white head that is large at first but mostly diminishing. Good lacing.

Smells good. Sweet malts and yeast, dried fruit, raisins, figs, plums. A bit of caramel/toffee as well.

The taste is not quite as good as the smell. Very fruity at first, then a more sour yeasty taste and some toffee/cocoa. Alcohol and some hoppy bitterness in the finish.

Medium body and lively carbonation. A bit dry.

Interesting, but not really my type of beer.

3.81/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

picked this up for about $6 at the local package store. It was everything I expected it to be, but just a bit expensive for my current income. I'd gladly pay $2 a bottle all day for this, but I don't know if I'll ever pay that much for such a mid-range beer again.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

330 ml bottle from the LCBO

Pours deep amber with a somewhat fizzy tan head. Very nice looking but a lck of head retention lost it some points.

Aromas are very typical of the style but smaller and more subtle then some of the better examples. I like the aroma I just wish it was bigger.

The flavour is similar to the aroma. Everything that should be there in a good dubble is but I find this somehow lacking.

The mouthfeel is a little rough and one thing I really like about dubbles is the soft subtle complexity but this one is rough and brash.

This is a nice brew but I think it will do better with some time in the cellar. Ill review in a year.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

It took me more then a year to get this beer (and the Tripel) here in central Montana, finally got the local distributor to deliver. Maybe other places one can go out to the local store and get one, but not here. So here we go.

My first one that I tried, foamed out over my counter, ended up with about 5 ounces of drinkable beer (clearly mishandled). The second one however poured perfectly into my Chalice.

Good head, fairly dark, in appearance not that spectacular but good. Smell was exceptional. Taste was nothing else I have tasted, smooth but complex. Nothing short of incredible, worth the wait. I would give up sex to drink this beer.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into...a Nalgene bottle. We were taking it out to the St. Patty's day parade in Chicago, so had to improvise....anywho, on with the review.
A: Nice deep chestnut color, good inch of lighter tan head. Appeared to have a nice bit of carbonation to it as well.
S: Lovely sums it up. Great deep malty smell, definitely picking up the yeast in there as well. Not a ton of hop smell, but still just a little bit on the sweet side.
T: Good up front malt, bit nutty as well. Took a little bit for the hop taste to kick in, with just a hint of alcohol.
M: Nice and strongly carbonated, very full and easy to get down. Considering we were drinking this out of a plastic bottle that had just made a 3 hour jaunt on public transit and foot, it still had just the right amount of carbonation.
D: Pretty easy to put down, but hey, drinking in public is always easier, right? Although it's middle of the road ABV-wise, I'm sure I could put a couple of these down in a sitting.

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured a medium brown color with a good head. The smell was not very strong, the alcohol was what came through to me. The taste was slightly sweet, but I don't taste the alcohol that I smelled. It had a fairly short finish with a bitterness to it. Very little carbonation in this beer and it was almost syrupy. I really enjoyed this one.

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%

A - dark mahogany brown with about an inch of foamy head which quickly went away

S - sweet, chocolatey, caramel, nougat, butterscotch, toffee

T - Chocolate very rich and malty. Fruity aftertaste and I can't really get more specific then that but not citrus fruits. Concludes with a nice dry finish

M - medium mouthfeel

D - A delicious brew and the moderate abv% could make this to a session beer if you are feeling so inclined. I know I'd be down.

Overall, a gem of a beer and I expect nothing less from the Trappists

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L dark brown with thick head, quickly gone
S caramel, prune, spicy, alcohol is hidden well from smelling
T sweet after taste, warming, very balance
Mouthfeel creamy and smooth
Overall love it. Will be back for more

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into a chalice with a dark brown, almost maroon, hue with a tight but small head. I made the mistake of cooling this one too much - it is definitely under the 45-50 degree recommended serving temperature, so I warmed it by holding the glass for a while. The smell is sweet, but not "sugary", if that makes any sense. The smell is not overwhelming, quite subtle, actually, with hints of ripe figs and dates.

This tastes, as expected, like a dubbel, with a slightly smokey or peaty finish that betrays its sweet scent. The 7% ABV remains well hidden, with the exception of a slight alcohol bite on the finish as it warms up. It's solid, yet doesn't quite measure up to my favorite dubbel, St. Bernardous Pater 6.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Got this beer in its 11.2 ounce bottle at Gaslight Brewery and Restaurant. I had always wanted to try the westmalle trappist beers and it was a no brainer to finally try it last night. From the first sip, I was drawn by its complexities.
A- Nice brownish red color with limited head. Poured into a westmalle glass (this bar has the right glass for every beer they serve)

S- some caramel notes mixed in with nice dried fruits such as cherries and plum and a good yeast backing.

T- the smell and more. The roastyness surrounded the tantalizing fruit esters. At times their was hints of alcohol and yeast, but they did not get in the way of how great this beer is.

M- Very drinkable. This one is worth taking slow medium size sips because you'll want to enjoy it for as long as possible.

D- Awesome! Could have a couple in a sitting.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Light carmel colored head with medium retention. Mahogany body that is completely opaque.

S - Sweet, intense dark fruits, cherries and ripe banana. Smells amazing.

T - Not nearly as intense in both taste and alcohol as the Tripel, but still really complex and enjoyable.

M - Perfect balance. Nothing is overpowering or underwhelming. Lots of carbonation, alcohol and flavor. Very satisfying.

O - I will seek this beer out again in the future. Wont find it in my neck of the woods, unfortunately.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Dark red/amber with a white head.
S: Belgian
T: One of the best examples of the style. Dried fruit, sweet, belgian esters. A perfect blend into one clean smooth beer.
M: High carbonation but easy to drink.
O: I can't believe I put off trying this beer for years based on a previous disappointment by the same dubbel style. A new 'go-to' for me when I'm craving a belgian. Dark sweet and full of esters and dried fruit. Will buy this one again and again.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Dark back color with a white head. Lacing is strong.

S - Sweet and hoppy. What could be better?

T - not too much flavor here, just light booze. What is there is good, there just isn't too much flavor.

M - Exactly what you would expect when you start to dink this beer. Rich feel, smooth and stays with you for a while.

D - I could drink this all night long. Very good beer here.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

Purchased a bottle for roughly 2€.

Nice murky brown colour (a bit too murky in my opinion) topped with a beautiful tan head that stays around for awhile.

A quite nice smell and somehow complex getting some of the yeast and a bit fruit.
The taste is, together with the drinkability, what makes this beer a difficult one to make one's tatse buds to it. Way too carbonated even for a Belgian brew, I shall give it a try leaving it at least a couple of months in the cellar; that's why it is that high my overall grade.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Mahogany. Decent lace and leaves nice foam head.

Smell: Caramel and plum/raisin. Hints of spice

Taste: Very nice profile. Typical for Trappist style dubbel.

Mouthfeel: Good overall balance.

Overall: Very nice Friday night dinner beer. Very good rating.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours dark amber/orange. Nice 3 finger off-white head. Aroma is grapey and alcohol, without much detectable malt or hop character. This one is very highly carbonated - went crazy in my mouth - very light and fizzy on the tongue. Tasted fruity and sugary, with an alcohol tinge. Finished smooth and easy - took me more than a few minutes to drink this to try and unravel the flavors.

*this is one of my first belgian brews - excuse my lack of experience in this area.

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle into a tulip. Two finger, off white head with excellent retention. A dark, hazy mahogany. Beautiful.

Smell. Dark fruits, raisins, apricots, molasses and yeast. A lovely bouquet for sure.

Taste. Hearty flavor. Raisin bread, malty molasses with a light, refreshing finish of fruity apricots and yeast. A kiss of booze warms up the whole flavor and ties it all together nicely.

This is truly a rich brew. Medium-bodied with some nice, not overbearing carbonation along with the bready flavor gives it a hearty feel.

Drinkable. One that I could easily session during a cold winter night like tonight. Warming, hearty, tasty. A winner.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Very dark in color, amber with hues of maroon. Pours with a luscious strong head. Bubbles continue to elevate while you drink.

S- Average in smell, a lot less of the fruits and sugars yu get from other Belgium beers.

T- Outstanding. Nice bitter bite up front and very malty. YEast less defined than other Belgiums but that leaves way for the dark fruit and malt to seep in. Very enjoyable.

M- Dry but sticks around for a moment.

D- Very much so. Sadly I only had one bottle or I would have had a second right behind it.

All in all, very well crafted dubbel, and one of my favorites in the style. Looking forward to my next one.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

P: 33cL brown bottle "TRAPPISTENBIER" stamped around the neck.

A: Pours a dark brown with a thick and creamy tan-colored head. Visible bits of black yeast when held up to light.

S: Peppery, slight caramel notes.

T: Chocolate, malty, and fruity. A dry, alcoholic bit after the first impression, but nonetheless, a great experience for the tongue. Warming.

M: Coarse, almost gritty from the yeast. Medium carbonation and relatively thick body.

D: 100% drinkable, and for me, that's an interesting concept for a Belgian Ale. If these didn't cost so much here in FL, I'd consider buying this every week.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Wow...my new favorite dubbel

appearance:nice dark color not too much brussels lace..and It did seem to improve with warming in the glass....losing some of the carbonation

smell:lots of dark stone fruit smells and not allot of estery smells

taste:wow great dark malt flavors with notes of cherry? and other dark stone fruits

mouthfeel...a bit too much carbonation at first then it mellowed and got silky as hell

drinkablity:I could drink this all day

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle