Westmalle Trappist Dubbel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Ratings: 2,766 |  Reviews: 1,236

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance- Okay, this guy was a gusher. I reacted quickly but I did have to suck some head. I don't really think I got much yeast in it (I'll will have report on this later but I need to proceed). The head was a light beige with good retention. The body is a hazy chocolate ruby brown which shows lots of glowing ruby notes when held up to the light.

Nose- Lots of banana. Hints of clove. When these notes settle, there are notes of caramel, brown sugar, and grapes. Some red fruit, but all of this is very mild. Lots of clove on the bottle with some notes of the yeast (or at least I hope so.) Banana has a tendency to become thin and reedy in a way to suggest wood.

Taste- A light red fruit sweetness hits me first followed by a slightly woody note with some spice around the edges. Some hint of yeast but nothing really domineering. I did not think this style would be too effected by that. Very winy in fact. This has red grapes and cherries and a blunted banana over spicy yeast. Cherry becomes the dominant aspect of this but in a sweet subtle way. Everything is sweet and subtle about this beer. The yeastiness even gives it a nice bump (almost of cinnamon) but there is a little bit of chalky, dry finish that is a little problematic to me. Some Cheerwine aspects.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and more carbonated than I would like for most medium bodied beers but I think I works for this one. It makes it feel more clean which works well with the dry finish.

Drinkability- Very easygoing. So sublime and subtle you could easily chug. Don't do that. Not an everyday buy but I would buy it again.

Overall- B+/A- or a solid 4. I will have to try it again if to see if the gush significantly effected it- I could see this being a 4.25 or close.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%