Westmalle Trappist Dubbel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Style: Dubbel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Ratings: 2,712 |  Reviews: 1,221
4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from the stubby brown bottle into my generic, yet favorite, snifter. Brown/black color and one finger head which dissipated yet stayed with at least a thin layer to the end. Nice lacing.

Aroma was malts and dates with a bit of plum in the mix. Not getting much hop action.

Taste was delicious but not quite as "belgian" as other beligians i've had. Still fantastic though.

Mouthfeel was nice, drinkability was relatively easy. Light and refreshing as far as Dubbel's go.

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%

Westmalle Dubbel served in goblet (from tap or bottle I didn't see because I was sitting outside) at their Trappisten Cafe.
Dark coal brown color. Modest creamy head. Sweet sugar caramel taste that went very well with the house cheese, clean and delicious. Not much of an aroma, maybe light yeast and wheat. Full rich beer that does not fatigue the pallate.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz. bottle served in my Maudite tulip. 14/07/11 indicated on the back label. Pours a hazy plum with a two-inch, frothy, cream-colored head. Head eventually collapses into a solid quarter in cap with thick swaths of lacing coating the sides of the glass as the brew recedes and with each tilt of the glass. Nose is fairly subdued - malt, spice, a faint suggestion of prunes and some phenols. Taste follows nose, but extremely watered down. There's also a slightly bready quality and some herbal bitterness that lightly lingers between quaffs. I have to say that I was expecting more. Mouthfeel is medium-light, with a fairly assertive carbonation. While I really enjoyed the tripel, I have to say that the dubbel left a lot to be desired. A bit disappointing and not worth the $6.99 pricetag. A fairly lackluster dubbel in my opinion.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a deep, thick amber with a thick beige head. The head dissipated quickly, but I'll blame that on the fact that I poured it into a snifter and not a goblet. Nice threads of lacing stick to the glass.

The nose is of rich chocolate and nuts with an overtone of sweet alcohol.

Wow! There is a lot going on in this. Sweet malts and phenols accompanied by apricots, bananas, and a hint of hoppiness. Some spiciness can also be noted. Then Bang! A bold aftertaste of malts, chocolate, and nuts.

It drinks with a nice velvety smooth texture. Very drinkable in the beginning but gets pretty heavy on the stomach towards the end. A really good dubbel. God bless the monks at Westmalle Abby!

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle shared by Matt last night. One of the beers that I'm shocked and appauled at myself for having never reviewed this wonderful Trappist beer.

Beer served in a tulip at cellar temperature. Beer is brown and hazy, dark, forms a giant head of medium and small off white / dirty yellow bubbles that leaves lacing on the glass.

Aroma is sweet like raisins and carmel and bready with great yeast esters and a wonderful bouquet.

Beer is medium bodied with good carbonation in the mouth. About the most drinkable dubbel I've ever had. Good dark fruit notes in the midpalate and a good non-dry finish. I love this beer a lot.

I am a bit bias toward the Trappist beers. When I first heard about the Westvleteren I just had to find it. When I finally got a taste it was the most amazing experience. It felt as if I was tasting history. That got me excited about the Trappist beers in general and then I finally found the Westmalle and Rochefort beers. I have to say they are just as amazing. This guy, even at a 7% abv, is highly drinkable. It has a great brown sugar taste and just makes me tingle. The dubbel and tripel are just so good. Nice sweet smell and just hits the palette in a way that makes you want more. I would recommend this to anyone. My fiance does not care much for beer and this one she even liked.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

A- Burnt amber, lying underneath a hefty and rich bronze head. After a short while, the head mellows, but is nicely retained. Beautiful lacing.

S- Cassis, apple, pear, molasses, a slight spiciness, and a faint bubblegum sweetness.

T- Begins with a mix of fruity tart and burnt brown sugar, which is balanced by full-on Belgian yeastiness. Finish is dry and bitter.

M- The perfect level of carbonation, in my opinion: definitely present, but not oppressive. The bitterness of the beer lingers in the back corners of the mouth. I tend to drink beers slowly, and after about 10-15 minutes, the carbonation has significantly softened. I suppose this is to be expected.

D- Highly drinkable. It's not a heavy beer, and the bitterness does not close my stomach. I could definitely go for another.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance: A dark caramel color, and around the edges it turns into more of a burnt orange. There is a great deal of carbonation in the bottom of the glass. The head is a light caramel color with nice lacing that reduces into a fine layer but sticks around.

Smell: A very prevalent caramel smell, with mild hops and hints of dark sugars.

Taste: I can taste a great deal of caramel first, with some mild hops following. The finish is mellow and very pleasing.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with quite a bit of carbonation. Just like everything else about this beer, it feels great on the palate.

Drinkability: This beer is very drinkable. It has some body to it but not too much to feel heavy. Overall just a great beer that I am pleased to have had, and will be having again.

Served from bottle to a Westmalle chalice.

Appearance: brown cola color, cream head that stays for awhile, visible carbonation, leaving liquidy spiderweb lace.

Aroma: raisins, licorice, brown sugar, little alcohol, cola, malts.

Taste: Alcohol, malts, brown sugar, raisins.

Palate: feels little watery, not much of a lingering flavor.

As personal preference, from trappist beers I like better Chimay for its spiciness.

But then again it's a good beer, for me in this kind it's not the best and I'm in the hunt for the Westvleteren so it might go down another notch in the trappist war if there's any.

Photo of
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Served in a Chimay chalice. Nice head that sticks around for a while. Deep red color. You can certainly tell that this is a fine example of a Trappist ale the moment you take your first sip. This is a beer to be savored. Not as complex as some in this style but still a nice flavor. Solid and good.

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours opaque dark chestnut brown in color with a massive 3 finger foamy tan head that lasted a while like a cloud; it looked like the soap foam after washing the dishes and stuck around for a few minutes. Very good lacing that clings the glass and slides down very slowly leaving a creamy top on the beer. Quite impressive out of the bottle.

Smells of roasted malt, sweet caramel, nut, dark fruits like plum and yeast. Overall has a roasty or smoky tone to it that is on the mild side, but still nice and inviting.

Tastes like roasted malt, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, nut, plum or date or fig (I can't tell or decide), yeast, cocoa, hay, charcoal and a hint of bourbon or rum at the end like it was barrel aged. After the smoked peat flavor faded there is also a trace of vanilla, which leaves a nice aftertaste that bordered on funky and metallic.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, with a medium to chewy body and basically no carbonation; this went down as smooth as milk and was very easy to drink. While I wouldn't say that this is a session beer, I would say that I could drink a few in one sitting since it seems to go down effortlessly and with very nice flavor.

The alcohol peeked through, but was not a factor and there were no spices apparent to me. A really good Dubbel and Belgian classic that I recommend based on its flavor and how damn easy it is to drink!

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a fairly dark brown with mahogany and mocha hues - lots of floaters here as well. A full 3 fingers of tan head. Spotted lacing develops.

S: Tons of dark fruits here - ripe cherries, figs, and raisins. Also a strong presence of apples here. Sweet malts and a spicy Belgian yeast finish off the nose.

T: Not as pungent as the smell. Ripe, dark fruits in the front with a drying Belgian yeast in the back. Sweet malts and fruits dominate the taste - coming out more as the beer warms.

M: Moderate to high carbonation. Medium body.

D: Very pleasant dubbel. Starting to delve more into this style.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours mahogany with a nice off-white head that is hesitant to subside. Not much lacing, but still a nice looking beer.

Aroma is somewhat subdued. Dark fruit, sweet malt and authentic Belgian yeast are evident.

The taste isn't as estery as I suspected it might be. This is a nice, malty brew with a good deal of breadiness. It honestly has a German pils type of breadiness to it. Interesting. Alcohol is mildly evident on the finish.

Good carbonation, a medium body and a super dry finish give the beer a nice feel.

I could knock a few of these suckers back with great ease. This is a nice change of pace, as most dubbels run much more sweet than what Westmalle has put together. I can see myself coming back to this one in the fall.

Poured from 750ml bottle into Tulip.

A. Poured a well carbonated 2 finger head. Color is dark mahogany brown. Good retention.

S. Caramel malt, yeast, figs, raisins, maybe a little molasses, dark fruit, brown sugar.

T. Caramel malt. A little hop bitterness. Raisins, dark fruit, some brown sugar. Nice balance of sweet and bitter.

M. Medium bodied. Full carbonation. Pretty dry finish.

D. Drinkable. A good dubbel. Nice balance between malt and hops. I like dubbels a little more sweet, but this is good.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

A: The pour is a dark amber color with a big tan colored head.

S: The nose is good, but not amazing. Some dark fruits in the form of raisins, plums, and figs with plenty of sweet malt notes: molasses, caramel, and toffee.

T: A lot more intensity to the flavor. A great malt character that's bready with excellent but balanced sweetness that provides some molasses, toffee, caramel. The fruits are over-ripe and sweet, mostly cherries, plums, and figs.

M: Medium in body with very ample carbonation, as you would expect for a Belgian ale.

D: Really a delicious and easy to drink beer. One of the better dubbels I've had in awhile.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

11.2oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Best before 04/08/2011.

(A)- Pours a hazy dark brown/red/gray color that produced a giant fluffy orange-ish tan colored head. Solid retention behind it. Left 'crown' shaped lacing behind making the foam look like, well, a crown! Cool

(S)- Wow, a big dark red fruit freshness and ripeness up front. Full on raspberry, cassis, grape, plum, and strawberry. Ample earthy clay and yeast in the background with a touch of vanilla-like creaminess. I am loving the big fruits in this.

(T)- Pretty close to the smell. Great ripe fruits with an earthy clay and yeast combo. Finishes very dry with a light straw/hay/ wheat-like spice.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. Great fruits that actually creates a nice acidity to tie in with the dry earthy yeast and funk. Actually is quite refreshing too. Smooth and actually a tad light for the style/what I was expecting, but I welcome it. It may not be rich, but it has a delicate complexity to it.

(D)- A wonderful Dubbel full of great flavors. Smooth and a fantastic drinker for anytime of the year. This is a dubbel I could see being in my fridge all the time; easily available and not overpriced for what you get. A great trappist beer.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: rich, deep hazy brown; tawny around the edges with two fingers of tan head which seem to dissipate rather rapidly. A good-lookin' beer, to be sure.

Smell: rich dubbel aromas of figs, cherries, plums and dates. There's also a mustiness to the aroma which I must say I rather like.

Taste: boom! There's a reason I went out to buy Belgians this evening. Sweet, lustrous malt flavor with hints of the aromas listed above, but nothing is overpowering. There's also a little bit of chocolate in there which is working for me. Capital.

Mouthfeel: silky and creamy in texture. Body is medium in density but the overall feel is quite nice.

Drinkability: I'm finding myself liking dubbels more and more. This one is extremely quaffable and I might get myself into trouble tonight.

Looking on the back, I see two dates: 9/19/2007 and 9/19/2009. I'm guessing that these are the bottled-on and best-by dates? Not sure, but if that's the case then we're getting up on 10 months past its best date. It's still a damn good beer, though!

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a Rochefort goblet.

A: Dark mahogany brown-red, opaque, many bubble trails. A thick, rich, chunky head. Some lacing.

S: Not particularly notable. Unexpected hop aroma with gentle malts and maybe a touch of alcohol.

T: Surprisingly light, carbonated, and hoppy. Mild nutty, malty flavour mixes with spicy hops. Very well balanced, such that the aftertaste is a nearly neutral combination of both flavours. Yummy!

M: Very stimulating. Light, somewhat chewy, with exciting carbonation and enjoyable spiced notes.

D: Unusually accessible and drinkable for a Trappist beer. Relatively light at 7% and quite pleasant. Not my favourite flavour-wise, but a solid choice and a beer I could drink lots of.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

A dark brown hazy liquid with a massive head wich slowly fades to leave some very nice lacing. This beer looks mysteriously inviting to me...

The first thing that hits my nose is a crispy tone of wet grass, then citrus and yeast. Hay, and caramel malts comes to my mind as well.

The taste is even more crispy that the smell suggested. The citrus and grass comes first, along with some apples and bitterness of lemon peel. Then comes the heavier tastes; roasted malts, yeast, figs.

A very well balanced beer. Big bubbles as one would expect, very smooth and warm feeling. Calmness...

After drinking almost nothing but american IPAs for the last year this was the perfect reminder why belgians were the ones who got me into craft beer.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Attractive darkish brown with a thick and persistent head the size of a planet. Smells basically kind of yeasty.

Taste is initially unassuming, but after a bit one notices how perfectly balanced it is. A belgian yeast taste is clear, but not excessive. There are hints of dark fruits, enough to give it a somewhat fruity character, but it's not sweet, indeed, it's kind of dry, with a very slightly tart finish, and a hint of woodiness (barrel aging?) and bitterness (hops? I dunno). It gets more and more interesting as you drink (and the beer warms, probably).

The mouthfeel is very slightly thick, but still refreshing; the carbonation is clearly enough to give it that massive head, but it doesn't taste sparkly.

After my first sip I thought "is that it?" (it is kind of famous after all), but as I drank, I began to notice interesting flavors, and I was soon thinking "oh yeah..." All the while, it remained refreshing and went down super easy.

A very nice and subtle beer. Deserves the high rating I think.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

330ml into a tulip pours a dark unexciting brown. Magnificent dense tan head recedes leaving great lacing - as it recedes it reminds me of the head on a root beer float!

Malts prominent, figs, bananas and yeast - no sense of alcohol.

Classic (of course) dubbel taste. Not too sweet, mild bitterness. The aftertaste lingers but is mild. Thin mouth feel. Flavor warms well.

I think I may subconsciously rate Trappist brews a little higher than I would otherwise simply because the thought of monks brewing beer is just so cool. This is indeed good!
cheers
jd

3.96/5  rDev -4.6%

2005 vintage, served in Duvel tulip.

A: Three fingers of luxurious head atop a dark chestnut body. Slightly cloudy. Head retention is good.

S: Yeast and yeast byproducts. Mostly sweetness in the aroma. Maybe due to age, but the aroma is very basic.

T: Vanilla and sweet fruit. Cherries. Slightly spicy. Red grape juice. A little bit of anise. Drying finish. Quite complex.

M: Soft, creamy, with near perfect carbonation.

D: Interesting enough to keep coming back. Nothing offensive that would prevent having more than one.

Very nice. Just slightly mellower than fresh. Other than some oxidation, I don't feel like this beer has evolved all that much in 5 years. It is amazing beer to begin with, so I don't see much benefit it laying it down. I will say that even @ 5 years I feel like it could go at least several more.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

I got this beer on accident when I ordered the Tripple. It was a little disappointing, considering the A rating. Flavor is good, but not terribly complex. If you like the Bernardus, you might like this one, but there are better Belgian ales, in my opinion.

3.96/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Pours a dark brown with a three-finger tan head that stuck around for most of the drink. Nice lacing.

S: Malt with some Belgian sugar and yeast. Very subdued.

T: The front and center are fairly malty, while the finish is slightly peppery and remarkably dry. The overtones change from sip to sip, ranging from brown sugar to raisins to figs and perhaps a bit of apple. The sweetness overall is well balanced, unlike some of the American versions of dubbels.

M: Medium body with very creamy carbonation. The alcohol is very well integrated.

D: Great beat, easy to dance to; I'd give it a ... oh, wait, wrong channel. This is a quintessence of a dubbel. Have one.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Dark amber colour with stable head.

S: Bitter strong caramel/sugar aroma.

T: Starts with smooth taste of dark fruits, apple, bananas following with sweet chocolate taste with oranges.

M: Heavy body with medium carbonation, long lasting after taste.

D: One of Belgian classic, very good for dinner.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle