Westmalle Trappist Dubbel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Style: Dubbel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Ratings: 2,755 |  Reviews: 1,233
3.66/5  rDev -12.4%

I foud the Westmalle dubbel to be abit atypical for a dubbel. A noticable roasty-ness dominates the taste, the plumy-ness that I typically love was undetectable and the body seemed a little thin. While the Westmalle dubbel didn't really met my preconceived expectations of a dubbel it was still a very enjoyable beer.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

330ml bottle poured into tulip oct27 2010

A murky dark reddish brown with a big loose tan head that hangs around for quite a while leaving a few big patches of lace

S a little banana, yeast, dark fruit, some spice,and a little sweetness

T what I smell but with brown sugar, rye bread and some caramel and raisin, pretty nice tasting brew has a little licorice as it warms

M foams up in the mouth but it seems to thicken it up quite a bit

D a solid well rounded that's fairly complex and I could have a few without getting board or walking sideways

I was a little surprised I've never reviewed this one because I've had it several times before and will be having it again

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

A classic and reliable Trappist offering.

Presentation: 0,33 l brown capped bottle. Romboid brown/dark burgundy label with logo and name of the brew, alongside Trappist denomination. Back with perfunctory legal notes, Trappist certification, and serving notes. Shows best before date (01/09/11), and Alc. by Vol. (7%) Served in a Westmalle chalice.

A - Murky amber/brown pour, with a generous head, medium retention, fair surface memory and some lacing.

S - Fruity and yeasty, malt is there, a bit shy.

T - Soft malty sense, tamed sweet sense leaning on a fruity quality around the yeast more so than the caramel/chocolate that is there but barely. The fruity and yeasty sense predominates as it flows woven with the malt.

M - Medium body with a medium to generous carbonation and a smooth finish.

D - Nice flow, it does not drive me crazy but it quality through and through, and quite recommendable.

Notes: Another iconic and reliable Trappist offering. Maybe it is a touch too tepid but is quality throughout and always worth holding.

3.36/5  rDev -19.6%

Had this one fresh on-tap, wasn't that impressed. Maybe a bit too soft for me, or too fresh, no pronounced flavors or aromas to me, not remarkable. Will pass final judgement when I get one from a bottle. I've noticed I like bottles more than tap at the moment...

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer poored with a good frothy headand had some nice sweet aromas. Flavors of banana and sweet malt were good and made this beer enjoyable. Had some yeast hints on the body of this beer which was nice and rich. This beer overall was a good dubbel and would drink it again.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

1PT 9.4 fl oz. bottle / Tulip glass.

A: Dark brown with a quickly fading light beige head. No lacing to speak of.

S: Smell of molasses, raisins, figs, and malt dominate immediately. I also get quite a bit of Sherry as it warms up.

T: Sweet malt and raisins come to mind when I first sipped it; I do get a lot of sweet Sherry and some tartness in the back.

M: Medium bodied with some fizz, not much. In the middle it feels a bit dry, however in the back palate it feels smooth and very inviting.

D: This a very nice drinkable Trapist beer, primarily because of its flavor, but definitely the modest ABV at (7%) makes it somewhat of a sessionable Belgian ale, for this style.

Bake some Virgina ham and I can drink a ton of this guys for the holidays!!

Salud!!

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

Yesterday is was in Antwerp with Mrs. Brabander. We went the the Groenmarkt and there on one of the terasses of a bar i drank this one.

It was a very nice day and the Groenmarkt was crowded with people.

Poured in the Westmalle glass the beer looks good. Not very much head. Soft and sweet smell with little carbonation. Burned malts.

I am a huge fan of the triple Westmalle, the darker brother is ok also!

4.76/5  rDev +13.9%

Had this tasty Trappist on tap in Brussels and also get it bottled in NJ. In either case, it is one of my favorite beers. From the taste to the appearance, I love this beer. Smooth and very drinkable, not very strong but not weak either (the perfect medium). Highly recommended!

4.56/5  rDev +9.1%

A wonderfully dark reddish/brown body sits like a shy kid in the corner, refraining from any attention underneath the massive and menacing head. This head yell's to me "hear I am! look at me! I won't stop growing"

Aroma is spicy, full of nutmeg and cloves and complimented by a nice malty caramel sweetness with a bit of dark fruit mixed in.

Wow, what a wonderful mix of flavors. This beer features a nice offering of sweet fruity and yeasty spice flavors which a slightly off-set by and ever-so light hop flavor. Very deep and complex, but it all works out so well.

Mouthfeel is a bit heavy but with this much flavor, it works out well. Overall, this beer is one of the best representations of this style. Truly a classic Dubbel.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

poured into pint glass.

A.

A very murky dark brown with a huge amount of head. mainly because I had this in my bag while I traveled and drank within 15 min. Beer practically flowed outta the bottle when I cracked it open.

S.

your typical dark fruits. some brown sugar and subtle alcohol smell as well. very good.

T.

some sweet malts. the dark fruits aren't very prevalent in the taste for me but a little sweetness is in there which is nice. a slight bitterness as well. There is a nice yeast taste in there as well. not the best trappist beer I've had, but still good.

M.

about medium bodied. I would prefer something a little thicker. a huge amount of carbonation. very smooth going down with a little creaminess in there.

D.

easily accessible by me and a good tasting beer. I would definitely try more of these in the future, with different glasses, temperatures, etc. alcohol high but not TOO high. I've tasted better and would opt for something like a Rochefort, but this is still a great beer.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a Russian River Tulip. Paid $5.69 in San Diego for 11.2 ounces.

Pours a deep, rusty brown with a large, creamy head about two fingers in height. Some floaties are visible through the haze.

Smell: I'm getting leather, some sweetness, perhaps a mix of caramel and banana; maybe a touch of mango. Also hints of wet sand at a beach; perhaps wet concrete. Alcohol is trying hard to escape the grasp of the mahogany beverage but without much success.

The taste is smooth and full. More of the smell but now with toasted grains and some very slight hops. Splashes of plum, date and fig. Between drinks I have a slightly bitter taste in the corners of my mouth which slowly vanishes.

The dubbel is very drinkable but the mouth-feel is a bit too light for me. Still, an outstanding product from Westmalle. I would drink this again.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a very clear amber body with two fingers of creamy tan head that held nicely and left beautiful lacing on the glass. Tiny bubbles can be seen rising to the surface from the bottom of the glass and there is an audible crackling of bubbles breaking on the surface.

S - Aroma of dark fruits (plums, raisons, figs), spices, yeast, and a hint of sweetness.

T - Taste dark fruits, brown sugar, yeast, a light malt flavor, wine-like sweetness and spices typical of belgian brews.

F/D - Fairly carbonated which brings out the full flavor of the dark fruits. A full, deliciously rich feel. Trappists like this make me realize why I love beer.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

this is like the quintessential beer of this style in my opinion

The Westmalle Dubbel pours with with a dark red burgundy color with a nice off white head. the nose opens up with your typical Belgian aroma dark fruits like dried plums and figs with the typical Belgian yeast. The taste is a bit more subtle the fruits are a bit on the wayside and the yeast is a bit more prominent. This is a very tasty beer the mouth feel and carb is right on i could probably put down a few of these

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a dark brown with a few reddish highlights. Off white head and good lacing. Smell is dark plums and raisins with a good amount of caramel and dark sugars. Taste is a bit less unrefined, with the yeast characteristics not coming through nearly as much. More of a bready-type flavor. Mouthfeel is fairly full and rich. Drinkability is okay; not nearly as impressive as their tripel.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

best by 7/16/10 bottle from the great store of belgian finds in Homer.

It is a lovely late afternoon in Homer, the rain is gone, the sun is here, and we are drinking ciders and Belgian beers. Shared with a couple new good friends..

A dark brown pour with solid carbonation, a bit murky. Spicy esters alight from the glass, mingle with the summer air. They caught in my mustache and remain there nestling all the night.

It is slightly sweet. Angelically so, very balanced malt that does not tip over the edge. Slight esters/phenols, vinous, slightly spicy. So delightful. My mouth is baffled.

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%

Nice tan head, leaves plenty of lacing. Deep mocha color brown. Raisins, figs, prunes, caramel, roasty malts, and faint spices. The flavor is of dried rich vinous fruits. Not as spicy as I like a dubbel to be, maybe a little too malt forward. I detect a touch of roasted barley or chocolate malt. Clean finish, dry finish. Not cloying which is nice for the style.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

33 cl bottel poured i to my Rochefort glass

A: beautifull dark brown colour, with a huge beige head, that holds to a fluffy 1 finger thick layer after a few minutes.

S: very fresh hops overall, with banana, dark fruits . clean yeast, but also it has notes of roasted grains and coffee.

T: Next to roasted grains and coffee, the modest bitterness of hop, there is banana and plumbs indeed, spices, a little bread too. Very pleasant for a dubbel.

M: very smooth.

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Dark nutty brown body. Huge head with large bubbles. Surface undulates like a suffle. Finally after a spell settles and creates a little island surrounded by a thin foam that barely covers the surface.
S: Tanbark, pee, hay. Rustic.
T: Dried pit fruit. Burnt brown sugar, lapsang souchong, bread and sour apples. Cedar.
M: Prickly and full. Hangs out.
D: Very drinkable but a once-in-a-whiler.

Trappist ales are sort of like boxing champs in the old days. When someone contends for the title, even if it's a draw, you have to give it to the champ.

Oh damn. I poured the spent yeast into the glass. I don't want to drink that. crap.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from the stubby brown bottle into my generic, yet favorite, snifter. Brown/black color and one finger head which dissipated yet stayed with at least a thin layer to the end. Nice lacing.

Aroma was malts and dates with a bit of plum in the mix. Not getting much hop action.

Taste was delicious but not quite as "belgian" as other beligians i've had. Still fantastic though.

Mouthfeel was nice, drinkability was relatively easy. Light and refreshing as far as Dubbel's go.

3.76/5  rDev -10%

Westmalle Dubbel served in goblet (from tap or bottle I didn't see because I was sitting outside) at their Trappisten Cafe.
Dark coal brown color. Modest creamy head. Sweet sugar caramel taste that went very well with the house cheese, clean and delicious. Not much of an aroma, maybe light yeast and wheat. Full rich beer that does not fatigue the pallate.

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz. bottle served in my Maudite tulip. 14/07/11 indicated on the back label. Pours a hazy plum with a two-inch, frothy, cream-colored head. Head eventually collapses into a solid quarter in cap with thick swaths of lacing coating the sides of the glass as the brew recedes and with each tilt of the glass. Nose is fairly subdued - malt, spice, a faint suggestion of prunes and some phenols. Taste follows nose, but extremely watered down. There's also a slightly bready quality and some herbal bitterness that lightly lingers between quaffs. I have to say that I was expecting more. Mouthfeel is medium-light, with a fairly assertive carbonation. While I really enjoyed the tripel, I have to say that the dubbel left a lot to be desired. A bit disappointing and not worth the $6.99 pricetag. A fairly lackluster dubbel in my opinion.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a deep, thick amber with a thick beige head. The head dissipated quickly, but I'll blame that on the fact that I poured it into a snifter and not a goblet. Nice threads of lacing stick to the glass.

The nose is of rich chocolate and nuts with an overtone of sweet alcohol.

Wow! There is a lot going on in this. Sweet malts and phenols accompanied by apricots, bananas, and a hint of hoppiness. Some spiciness can also be noted. Then Bang! A bold aftertaste of malts, chocolate, and nuts.

It drinks with a nice velvety smooth texture. Very drinkable in the beginning but gets pretty heavy on the stomach towards the end. A really good dubbel. God bless the monks at Westmalle Abby!

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle shared by Matt last night. One of the beers that I'm shocked and appauled at myself for having never reviewed this wonderful Trappist beer.

Beer served in a tulip at cellar temperature. Beer is brown and hazy, dark, forms a giant head of medium and small off white / dirty yellow bubbles that leaves lacing on the glass.

Aroma is sweet like raisins and carmel and bready with great yeast esters and a wonderful bouquet.

Beer is medium bodied with good carbonation in the mouth. About the most drinkable dubbel I've ever had. Good dark fruit notes in the midpalate and a good non-dry finish. I love this beer a lot.

I am a bit bias toward the Trappist beers. When I first heard about the Westvleteren I just had to find it. When I finally got a taste it was the most amazing experience. It felt as if I was tasting history. That got me excited about the Trappist beers in general and then I finally found the Westmalle and Rochefort beers. I have to say they are just as amazing. This guy, even at a 7% abv, is highly drinkable. It has a great brown sugar taste and just makes me tingle. The dubbel and tripel are just so good. Nice sweet smell and just hits the palette in a way that makes you want more. I would recommend this to anyone. My fiance does not care much for beer and this one she even liked.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

A- Burnt amber, lying underneath a hefty and rich bronze head. After a short while, the head mellows, but is nicely retained. Beautiful lacing.

S- Cassis, apple, pear, molasses, a slight spiciness, and a faint bubblegum sweetness.

T- Begins with a mix of fruity tart and burnt brown sugar, which is balanced by full-on Belgian yeastiness. Finish is dry and bitter.

M- The perfect level of carbonation, in my opinion: definitely present, but not oppressive. The bitterness of the beer lingers in the back corners of the mouth. I tend to drink beers slowly, and after about 10-15 minutes, the carbonation has significantly softened. I suppose this is to be expected.

D- Highly drinkable. It's not a heavy beer, and the bitterness does not close my stomach. I could definitely go for another.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle