Westmalle Trappist Dubbel | Brouwerij Westmalle

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,776 |  Reviews: 1,237
3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 750 ml bottle bottled on 7/11/12 into a Westmalle chalice.

A: pours a dark brown with a decent two finger head. The head breaks somewhat quickly leaving a lovely amount of lacing behind.

S: Yeast and dark fruits come through on the nose. There is caramel and some chocolate, but the dark fruits dominate.

T: The taste is perhaps the best I have experienced in a dubbel. Wow, there is a world of flavor here...those fruits on the nose come bursting forth on the palate. The Belgian yeast, is fantastic. There are notes of chocolate and caramel that subtlety come in as the beer finishes on your palate.

M: medium body but fairly high carbonation.

O: I have a winner, I am bowled over by this dubbel. I will set all others by this example. It really impressed me. I can only hope that others enjoy this as much as I have.

4.68/5  rDev +12%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Esta é uma das grandes representantes do estilo dubbel, e mais um respeitado rótulo trapista. Eu só conheci dois rótulo Westmalle, mas os dois mostraram representar cervejas de qualidade suprema, que com que certeza posicionam a cervejaria como um dos grandes nomes do mundo.

4.14/5  rDev -1%

11.2 oz. bottle (330 ml) poured into chalice
(best by 3/27/15 printed on back label)

L: murky brown, fully opaque, some orange highlights at bottom when held up to light; huge fluffy thick tan head that is sticking and lacing; the foamy collar is fantastic -- classic dubbel look

S: fruity, sour grapes, wine -- again, classic dubbel; lots of sweet grapes

T: follows the nose nicely, more fruity and sweet than yeasty

F: hard not to call it perfect; it might be (might) a slight bit watery, but in a way that only seems to be helping its drinkability; it's not heavier than midweight but solidly constructed with good carbonation

O: it's not the best I've had, but I love dubbels and I love this beer -- you can't go wrong with the authentic Trappists' work. I'm missing some of the yeasty flavor you often get from a good dubbel, but I'm not missing it much. I could drink this anytime anywhere and be 100% happy ... so much good fruity sweetness.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

I had this on tap at the Mercure in Nijmegen. I couldn't believe they had it there, as I was used to getting it by the bottle back in Wisconsin. The bartender said they actually weren't supposed to even have it on tap, but somehow they did. So of course I had to have several during my two-night stay in Holland.
I am a huge fan of Belgian beer and thought this particular dubbel was outstanding as usual.

Appearance - A very colorful brown/dark color with some good legs to boot.
Smell - Dark fruity, mild, smooth smelling aroma.
Taste - I could taste a dark fruit, perhaps raisins or prunes. Definitely some grapes as well, overall very tasty.
Mouthfeel - A very dry after taste which initially was surprising to me, and the carbonation made my mouth tingle.

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours out dark brown/ really dark brown with a three finger beige head with nice retention and some nice lacing. Smell is dark fruits, some dark malts, and just that smell of a blegian dubbel. Taste is much the same as the nose. Really no difference except maybe a tiny bit of sweetness and Belgian candy sugar. Mouthfeel is a little thick as one would like it and it great; Overall one of the greatest Belgium beers. Just really nice.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%