Westmalle Trappist Dubbel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Ratings: 2,739 |  Reviews: 1,230
4.89/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours hazy, deep copper almost brown with a thin white foam head, almost no retention. Aroma is complex and appealing, fruits, malts, spices, alcohol, no hops. Taste is rich and complex too, malty, balanced, strong, fruity like dates and plums, no hops. Low body with high carbonation. Great beer.

4.89/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

If someone asked you to sum this beer up in one word, what would it be? For me: turtle. You know, those huge gobs of pecan, caramel and chocolate you get at roadside tourist stops and munch on the way to your real destination. Simple, right?. But if you gave me two words, well then, I might say smoked cherries. That wouldn't be enough though, would it? Then I would have to say cedar shavings and cypress knees and forest honey and Spring straw

berries.

4.86/5  rDev +17.1%

PRESENTATION: 750mL corked and caged bottle, brown glass. Price: $10.99. Bottled 09/30/10, best by 09/30/12, drank on 10/02/12. The plastic cork is hard as hell to get out of the bottle; I fumbled with it for about 5 minutes, probably bruising my thumbs in the process, and I was sober. Bought from the local package store that hosts beer tastings all the time, and has a massive selection of craft beers and imports. Thank you to Blacklick Wine and Spirits in Columbus, OH.

APPEARANCE: pours nicely in to a large lowball glass (my own choice - I think these styles shine in the straight-sided, wide glasses - dark brown (not black, nowhere near a stout or porter) with strong red ruby highlights when held to the light. Looks like a cola, from what I remember. I don't touch cola, nor anything caffeinated. I stick with alcohol. Darkness hides sediment well.

With a gentle pour, there is little head, but what head is there sticks around. With a vigorous pour, there is a one-and-one-half finger to two-finger head, which dissipates rather quickly while leaving the same ring of head as a gentle pour. It laces the glass decently, but not as well as the Westmalle Tripel I had the other day.

It is quite cloudy from yeast, with a bit of yeast particles congregating or flocculating at the bottom of the glass after the liquid is downed.

SMELL: very nice aroma, a bit boozy, with strong hints - more like already-solved puzzles - of berries, especially blackberry and currant (and red gooseberry and raisin and raspberry[?]). Esters. Like booze-soaked raisins and currants. Almost like a very watered down Sailor Jerry's without the cherry - and I love me some o' the ol' Sailor. It's an excellent smell for the style, but is a little alcoholic, and a bit low on the caramel-like smells that I feel should emanate therefrom; it has no smell of spice which emanates from Rocheforts, and which I have grown to dislike. This smell is almost a five.

MOUTHFEEL: high carbonation for the style, I think (although I've had few Dubbels, and "dark beer" generally is my preference, I've had many Tripels, Belgian Strong Dark and Pale Ales, and Quads), with a somewhat dry astringency on the palate, starting off bubbly, with notes of brut champagne - both in the carbonation and in the flavor itself. It is, according to my preference, a most smooth libation. The carbonation is excellent, but the body is a bit weak in comparison to it; this is a little thinner than I would prefer - although I may be reading too much stout in to this Dubbel - so I subtract 0.5 points.

TASTE: not so much like the aroma. There is no taste of alcohol in this beer - not like the aroma and the 7% ABV would suggest - just an excellent, fruity, brut-champagne-like flavor - that's right, it's fruity without being sweet. Although there seems to be, on some sips, a hint of sweetness, I can't pin it down. There are notable components of yeast, although this yeast lends no "bready" flavor to the beer, contra most other reviewers: I can taste the bread in Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout: I can not taste the bread in this. It is on the rich side for the thin mouthfeel. There is a pronounced, while subtle, grape character: if I did not know otherwise, I would Christen this a "barleywine", as it has more characteristics in common with certain grape-based drinks than any exemplar of that style which hath ever crossed my palate. Not exceedingly complex, but not simple; it is quite drinkable, but not a session beer, although by this point in my review, 5/6 of the way through a 750mL bottle, I'm quite tipsy.

OVERALL, 5/5: I really don't see how this could be improved, even if it's a little low on body and high on carbonation for my tastes, any permutation altering the body and carbonation that I run through in my mind's palate somehow isn't quite as good. This is one of the best beers in the world, to my palate; St Bernardus Abt 12 is easily the best, this being in second place for Belgians, and the top 5 overall.

As a previous reviewer noted, if this is in your glass, this is a special occasion. Drink it daily! I paid $11 for this bottle; it was worth it. I recommend letting it warm for a little before drinking it; my last half-glass out of the bottle was better than my first, which was served around 45ºF or so, maybe 50ºF.

Final verdict: if you haven't had this ale, buy it: it won't let you down. It is more like champagne in consistency and in flavor than any beer I have had otherwise; I'm not a large fan of champagne (I once bought a bottle of Dom Perignon and Moet et Chandon White Star to see if it would make a difference: it didn't), but this isn't a putdown of the beer: it does what champagne could not.

Served in my Westmalle chalice:

Appearance: A dark brown liquid with a dark ruby tint throughout when held to the light is noticed, along with a beautiful dark creamed coffee head that stacked up to about three fingers to finally settle at a quarter inch floating on top.It left a minimal amount of laceing behind as well.

Smell: The aromas are just simplely magnificent. A not too overpowering Belgian yeast is present along with some wild cherries/lambic kriek notes,a caramel and syrupy malt, the alcohol lets itself be known as well.

Taste: That lambic kriek flavor mixed with the typical Belgian yeasts and a nice caramel/toffee malt makes this beer a very eligant delight. A hop bitterness is subtle, I think it counter acts the sweetness,that the malts produce, to make this brew superb. There is a strong alcohol finish as well.

Mouthfeel: The feel is one of a kind. High in carbonation,which in my own opinion makes this one of my favorite Begian beers. Medium bodied, slick oily substance that leaves with a nice bubbley finish.

Drinkability: This is definitely my favorite Belgian beer. I have had this beer with many different foods and it always seems to go with everything quite nicely. I look forward to purchasing this one again soon.I f you haven't had this,it's a must try.Thumbs up,Westmalle!!

Cheers2Beers

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

100th beer Ive tried and reviewed.Heres to 100 more.Poured into the proper Westalle Trappist chalice.

Brownish/red body with a off white head.Bubbles streaming to the top.

Candy sugar and some dark fruits hit my nose.

Fruity taste,it almost taste like juice.It taste very lively.Malt hits ya at the end of the sip.

Carbonation is really good and not overly aggressive.The alcohol is warming and soothing.Like drinking a really good Vick vaper rub.In a good way though.

Im glad I tried this stuff and I will seek it out again in the future for a special occasion.God im glad the monks like to make bier.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Westmalle Dubbel has a thick, fizzy, beige head, and a dark, red-brown appearance, with lots of bubbles and nice lacing left behind. The appearance is not too hazy, until one swishes the bottom contents and pours in the sediment. The aroma is rich, fruity, candy-like, malty, and winy. The taste is sweet, fruity, herby, and somewhat bitter. Dark fruits abound with this. Mouthfeel is medium and not really thick, and Westmalle Dubbel finishes mostly dry, fruity, and even refreshing. The drinkability is pretty easy with this one. Overall, this is an outstanding beer.

RJT

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Westmalle Double pours a hazy medium brown with a light brown head. I smell sweet raisin as well as other dark and tropical fruit with hints of dark chocolate and caramel. There is a bit of a sweet, vinous character. Some light alcohol comes through, but it might be because I practically submerged my nose in the Westvleteren chalice. The flavor is heavenly with sweet esters upfront and leading into earthy, slightly vinous character. Some dry dark chocolate comes through along with some caramel leading into a dry, slightly bitter finish. Herbal hops with a bit of sharp alcohol and phenolic flavor linger after the beer is gone.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

After recently acquiring a job bartending at a Belgian Bar in New York, I have been delighted with my exposure to new beers and with a full immersion of the Belgian styles. I have since taken a new favorite, Westmalle Dubbel. Everything about this beer is amazing. I love the mouthfeel and could drink this beer alone, with food, on a cold day, or in an alley and I would be happy. I feel that the carbonation combined with the subtle notes of chocolate and malt just make an explosion of flavor that surprised me the first time I drank one. I was a huge fan of the Triple and randomly tried the Dubbel and soon found a new favorite. The proper pour in the proper glass just gives me a happy feeling every time I return to it. Combine this with the traditional Belgian Carbonnades Flammandes for an exceptional dinner.

4.84/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours is very cloudy brown body and a nice tan head

The smell is of orange marmalade and Clay

The taste is smooth chalky earthy with some nice malt and fruit

Very will carbonated and somewhat full

A wonderful beer well-crafted and keeping with its style very enjoyable for flavor yet thirst quenching

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Of all the Belgium beers I have tried I would say this is probably my favourite. Even on a recent trip to brugge I tried the much heralded Westvleteren 12 and preferred this beer. There are some superb beers in Belgium but this is one hits the spot.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours hazy reddish brown with a tan head that retains well. Plenty of lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is sweet and of chocolate and maybe a bit of fig. The first sip feels creamy. I pick up flavors of roasted malts, sugar and fig. The finish is a bit dry and there's a mild spiciness to it. The flavor profile is well balanced. It's not too sweet. It's not too dry. The carbonation is definitely present, but it's not overwhelming. This hides its alcohol content very well and the mouthfeel is medium. Overall, this is an excellent beer.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

A: poured into a triple goblet glass with a hard pour at 40F, got a little head, and its lacing stuck to the walls and is lasting a long while.
Brown in color with some cloudiness because I poured it yeast and all.

S: plum like grapes, some leather overtones. sweet malt, rock candy sweetness, great balance with the hops, mild alcohol hits the nose as it warms up. Very complex what can you say its a Trappist they are all complex beers.

T: very rich and complex plum flavor, with rock candy sweetness, you get the malt and yeast flavors, great hop to malt balance, but none of them overpower the beer as it should be. not to sweet but it is a Dubbel. Great stuff

M: smooth and creamy, medium body, nice carbonation

D: easy to drink 3 or 4 of these but you will be a tad tipsy at the end, at least I was.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

This is a remarkable beer, darker than I would normally expect a Dubbel to be, but with a lot to show for it. I guess let me talk about where I took off points, The appearance was a bit too cloudy for what I've come to expect. While the smell was good but slightly muted.

But the taste is wonderful with cocao and coffee notes, but not nearly as over bearing as Stouts and Porters usually are with those flavors. With an amazingly creamy mouth feel, and no off notes anywhere in my experience with the beer. Absolutely wonderful.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

It's a runoff between the Westie and the St. Bernardus Abt 12 in my book, but I think the Westie eeks out ahead. It is perfectly balanced, with subtle fruit tones in the bouquet. Unlike Corsendonk's wine-like aftertaste, the Westmalle leaves you savoring its complexity and wanting more. Be sure to air it out, as it gains more character just below cellar temp. Also, be sure to serve it in the proper glassware... presentation and aroma are everything with a beer this good. Definately a cost-wise alternative to Abbaye des Rocs' offerings.

330ml bottle into snifter. "best before: 26/06/16", poured on january 29, 2015

a: a really beautiful opaque ruby with a finger of light brown or dark tan head

s: really vibrant maraschino cherry, black cherry, raisin, and date up front, followed by rich brown sugar. mild spicy banana-y yeast presence under all the dark fruit and malt notes. KO aroma

t: follows the nose. in the front is an explosion of brown sugar and all the aforementioned dark fruits. mid-palate carries the brown sugar and adds notes of fresh dark bread. a light-to-moderate herbal, leafy bitterness closes the tasting, with malt flavours lingering shyly

m: excellent medium-bodied and easy-going with medium-to-high carbonation

o: what an incredible beer. such massive aromas and flavours. the carbonation could be toned down a notch, but it's not like it's offensive the way it is

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a goblet.

A - Has a dark brown, ruby red color with an eggshell color 2 finger head. Lots of bubbles streaming from the bottom.

S - Dark fruits and cherries with yeasty, bread notes. Some fig, cloves, and toffee detected. Alcohol is in there too.

T - A slight hop bitterness on the front, The middle is all plum, raisins, cherries, figs, and yeast. Blends together beautifully. The back has a slight alcohol burn with a red wine dryness.

M - Medium mouthfeel, that is very creamy. Carbonation is very good due to bottle conditioning.

Overall, a trappist monastery in Belgium shines again. This is one of my new favorites for the style. Second behind Rochefort 8 for me. Haven't had Westy 8 to compare so this is second in my book.

4.81/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.81/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this at the same time my wife had ommegang's double, and this was far superior.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle