Westmalle Trappist Dubbel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Style: Dubbel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Ratings: 2,732 |  Reviews: 1,229

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Another beer I've saved too long, this 33cl bottle has been in my stock (stash) for over three years and I've put off drinking it for one reason or another. It was one month past its Best Before Date of 23rd Oct 2008 on this review.

Luckily this beer is so well made, the BBD isn't an issue.

Poured slowly, oh so slowly into my Westmalle Chalice, it looked super. I allowed the sediment to join the beer, as I like to taste and feel the whole product and enjoy the extra strenght and flavours the sediment gives.

I am no stranger to this wonderful beer, but I have never reviewed it while in Belgium, prefering to just enjoy the moment whenever I have drank it before.

Deep mahogany red in colour, with a slight haze because of my prefered pour. The tan creamy head, at first full slips slowly into a thinner carpet of foam which laces the glass as the beer is sipped.

Plums and raisens, rich malts and some toasted caramel give this beer a unique aroma, one I could detect anywhere.

The taste is just as you would expect from the aroma. It is rich, but isn't as creamy maybe and it is fairly high in the carbonisation stakes for a Dubbel, but I think that adds to its character and uniqueness.

A beer I always have when in Belgium, often on tap, it is a delight and one of my all time favorite beers.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

11.2 ounce bottle poured into a big wine glass because I didn't have a chalice. Yeah, I know.

Appearance: Pours a dark, cloudy reddish brown with a big creamy head that sticks around forever. Good amount of lacing, too. Cool looking beer.

Aroma: There's a lot going on in the smell. Smells of dark fruits, raisins, dates, figs, toast, some mild spiciness, a little floral character, and maltiness.

Taste: The taste follows the nose, and it's complex, creamy and delicious. Really a terrific beer. The dark fruits dominate and the finish is appealingly bitter. Alcohol is muted in the nose and on the palate.

Mouthfeel: It's a fun beer to drink; creamy and smooth, with a big sturdy body.

Overall: A terrific, classic beer. It's pretty close to perfect in my opinion.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a large wine glass.

A - extremely dark mahogony. When first poured, actually looked pitch black, NO light came through. Nice fluffy tan/brown head. Stuck around for a long time and became clumpy, then down to a nice lace on top.

S - Roasted, sweet malt with hints of brown sugar and a slight hint of dark fruit, maybe figs. Alcohol comes through as the beer warms.

T - Very much like the smell. A pleasant mix of malitness with sweet dark fruit and bitterness. The bitterness lingers after the beer is swallowed but is not too intense. Just leaves you wanting another sip. The taste changes as the beer warms. I think it becomes more and more pleasant. So many complex tastes throughout the beer experience it's hard for me to catch them all.

M - Smooth mouthfeel with nice bubbles that tickle the tongue. Slides down the throat.

This is a really great beer. The alcohol isn't all that noticable except for the warm feeling it leaves in your belly. A great winter sipper and a perfect example of the style. Not nearly as sweet as the St. Bernardus Prior 8.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle