Westmalle Trappist Dubbel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Style: Dubbel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Reviews: 1,216 | Ratings: 2,698
3.86/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330ml, pours ruddy brown with a swiftly dissipating (possibly due to the pint glass?) head, which has varied-size bubbles of very light tan. Scent is lightly alcoholic, phenolic perhaps? Raspberry--no! Blackberry! Smooth malty esthery taste all over. Generally light; I look forward to the tripel for more intensity. Nice but not the best.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured this one into a large wine glass. Deep murky brownish orange with a solid head. Looks good. Lots of lees.

The smell has depth; it's dark fruity and deep roastedness.

Tastewise, there's raisiny/pruny fruit and spicy smokiness. It's quite dry, actually. Moreso than I expected.

The mouthfeel is very nice. It's smooth and there's a nice balance of carbonation.

Quite drinkable...could just continue drinking these comfortably for a long time.

This is a very nice dubbel. Interestingly, I enjoyed the St. Paul more, but that was a while ago. I suppose I'll just have to try them both again to make sure. ;)

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle from Chester Beer distributor. Pours a dark murky almost purple color. Two finger head, retention is not that good but excellent lacing. Peppery aroma. Somewhat sweet tasting with sharp notes, not sure how to describe again a taste of pepper. Smooth finish. Syrupy mouthfeel.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

From Notes: 12-24-10

Appearance: Cloudy brown, amber body with a clean, dense head atop.

Smell: Sweet, light-lemony/citrus tart notes with a malty balance that is mostly dry.

Taste: Compatible to that of the aroma, the balance from the malty sweetness and the sour flavors come up front well with the dry finish.

Drinkability: Crisp and light with a pleasant balance of flavors. Tartness, semi-sweetness and dryness combine nicely.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with orange-red hue when held to light; rocky and dense, thick head with plenty of lace around the glass. Head is a light shade of maple cream color.

Smell: A bit spicy -- some clove fragrance, toffee, with rummy notes. A faint yeasty aroma, almost like fresh dark bread. The scent is far more intense as the ale warms to drinking temperature and thoroughly pleasant.

Taste: Very malty, subtly warming; a touch more bitterness than I was expecting, but this produces a very nice crisp finish. Flavors of brown sugar, toffee, slight suggestion of caramelized fruits. The malt character is intriguing. I have heard malt bills for Belgian dubbels are not often as complicated as it would seem, but the grainy taste is complex enough that it's hard to believe there are only two or three malts in this brew. I cannot taste the alcohol at all, short of the aforementioned slight warming sensation, in spite of the 7% ABV. Wonderfully balanced overall.

Mouthfeel: Very, very smooth. Almost creamy. Carbonation is very fine, and not at all intense. Medium body. Not heavy at all.

Drinkability: This is really, really drinkable. The first time I enjoyed this beer, I thought it was an awesome choice for a winter night by the fire. Now it's July, and the beer is just as delicious. Very smooth, and keeps the palate guessing until the last drop.

Overall, this is one of the most balanced, tasty beers I've had the pleasure to enjoy. It's definitely one of my favorite dubbels, and one I'd recommend to anyone looking for a nice beer to sip slowly on a quiet evening.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

This beer poured a clear amber with a small head and mild lacing.
The aroma had distinct hazelnut touches allong with the usual malts
the flavor was rather tart and interestingly smokey with a slightly bitter finish. the mouthfeel was decently balanced . overall this was not a bad beer, but as a dubbel I didnt feel that it stood out particularly much in any way.

I am a bit bias toward the Trappist beers. When I first heard about the Westvleteren I just had to find it. When I finally got a taste it was the most amazing experience. It felt as if I was tasting history. That got me excited about the Trappist beers in general and then I finally found the Westmalle and Rochefort beers. I have to say they are just as amazing. This guy, even at a 7% abv, is highly drinkable. It has a great brown sugar taste and just makes me tingle. The dubbel and tripel are just so good. Nice sweet smell and just hits the palette in a way that makes you want more. I would recommend this to anyone. My fiance does not care much for beer and this one she even liked.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: dark brown with a reddish tint, compact tan/caramel head. The head is not excessively large (which is not a bad thing), it stays well and leaves bubbly laces down the glass.

Smell: light, yeasty with a subtle hint of apple and red fruits. The smell is fairly subdued. It seems to improve as the beer warms. Nothing special in my opinion. Don't worry because the taste makes up for it!

Taste: nicely bitter up front with a licorice note and similar bready and apple flavours as in the aroma, it fades with a mild hoppy tang, very subtly citrus in the finish. The taste is much more pronounced than the aroma, it's quite nice.

Mouthfeel: wonderful carbonation, and a foamy, clean feel. I really like how this beer feels on the palate.

Drinkability: Because of the great mouthfeel and nicely balanced taste (not too mild, not too bitter, fun complexity and lots of flavour) I find this beer quite drinkable, and would drink it again! The 7% ABV is masked quite well also.

3.49/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from a best before 04/14/11 11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice.
A- Poured dark brown/red color. One previous reviewer mentioned garnet and I guess that is pretty close, all though I felt it was a bit more on the brown side. Two finger brown head that quickly died down. Nice active carbonation around the edge of the glass.

S- Very light. Bread when I opened the bottle. Faint raisin and alcohol.

T- Starts off with a really subdued, almost hidden sweetness followed by mild hops with a bready, faintly citrus aftertaste. I kept getting a sour/vinegar taste and smell which was slightly off-putting, but not enough for me to stop drinking. The bread was the most distinct note out of the range of flavors to me, but I would not say it dominated.

M- Nice medium body with incredibly active small bubbled carbonation. Creamy too, which was nice. Maybe a hint of dryness, but overall I did not notice this in the beer much. The carbonation was what stood out to me most; in a pleasant way.

D- I split the small bottle with someone which left me wanting more of this. I liked it, but I was expecting something a bit more flavorful. Well balanced, though. I dropped the drinkability a bit because of the vinegar taste I detected, but I would probably try it again.

Bottle poured into chalice. Nice dar red mohogany - huge head considering it was poured into a chalice. Smell malt and fruit - faint. Taste was similar - I would not consider the flavor to be strong though - very nice - not overpowering - clean finish. Mouthfeel good body well carbed. This won't overpower you - I can see drinking two or three of these easily. It is what it is, I don't necessarily think its worth the price though - based on this site - I guess my expectations were a little high.

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%

So I've been reading The Brewmaster's Table lately so I figured I'd take Garrett's advice and have this beer with my dinner of cassoulet.

Poured into a Chimay Chalice.

A: A hazy garnet that a Mag-lite barely cut through. Puffy Cumulus head with very sporadic bubble formation; tiny pearls mixed together with boulders. Started off with three fingers depth, and although it got beaten back it was sticking around to the very end.

S: Dried plums and raisins. Somewhat musty smelling. Although boozey at first, quickly brought on a nutty bread aroma.

T: Very subtle throughout. Definite sweetness, mainly of dried fruits and honey, but also a crisp dryness. This too much going on here for me to try and explain all the flavors. Changes every sip, makes you want to just keep digging around for more.

M: Very surprisingly full in body, same could be said for carbonation, almost borders on soda water. Just enough alcohol to clear your palate for the next sip.

D: A planned on making a bit of a night of drinking, but I'm so happy here I'm going to stop now. Complex without being in your face, I have to say this deserves all the hype it might get. Alcohol content is low enough that I felt like I was in control throughout, unlike some balls-to-the-wall extreme brews that knock you back and drag you along.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a murky, very dark brown with a head that lasts for a few minutes. Some toastiness and raisin in the aroma; no hops. Taste is an enormously satisfying maltiness with some spiciness at the start and tartness in the finish. A medium mothfeel. Taste and mouthfeel are reminiscent of a bock, but the taste has much more complexity. The alcohol is completely subdued; I could drink this all day.

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

A) poured into a glass, nice malty glug glug thick sound. Deep red hue, small head.
S) Fig, prune and malt.

T) Flavor is bright, crisp with some fig, prune and malt.

M) Palate is thin not a long finish,
D) OK. It would be nice to do back to back with this style.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Head is small and fades quickly to persistent lacing.

S: Whoa. Light banana esters, cloves, phenols are all present.

T: Spicy, dry beer with phenolic roundness and astringent bitterness. Slight creaminess is detectable and good.

M: Light, crisp, bubbly. Fizzy carbonation.

D: Mild astringent flavor is not distinctly pleasurable, but dry easy drinking 7% abv beer.

Notes: Not as good as I expected but I think it had to do with how the bottle was kept plus was a great beer none the less.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Kulminator was closing for an hour or some thing so I walked over to Oud Arsenaal. Figured I'd give some thought to the draft dubbel and go back to Kulminator for a bottle from 1992. Consumed 12 August 2011.

Fresh from the tap at Oud Arsenaal, this pours a flat brown with a thin cream hat. Average lacing.

A dull smell with undertones of this and that, some thing metallic, teriyaki, diluted caramel macchiato.

Taste is slightly bitter, massively diluted. It's practically fluffy dark water. The lack of character is remarkable.

The only thing going for this beer is that it is fluffy and perfectly carbonated.

However.

From a bottle with a [best by] date of 06.07.94. Apparently bottled in 1992, this one falls into the glass with evidence of age. Transparent deep brown body with ruby highlights, a quickly falling, light cream head with larger bubbles — existing more from the long fall from bottle to chalice than from carbonation.

Phew! Rummy raisins, resident pipe smoke in a dark basement, cognac?, sweet liqueur. Simply incredible in thy nose.

Taste is less overwhelming, but interesting. Watery, a slight hint of tartness, black tea. And every once in a while the tongue finds a crystal of concentrated dark chocolate goodness in the small volume of liquid moving around the mouth.

Feels thin, and the bubbles are tame — containing semi-spheres of Kulminator atmosphere rather than carbon dioxide.

Much better aged than on draft. Could stand to be a lot less watery, both in body and flavor. But alas. A fun experience.

Scores are for the bottle.

3.9/5  rDev -6%

This beer pour a dark chocolate brown from the bottle into my chalice. it has a nice inviting light brown/tan head that sticks around to give you a full nose of the aroma.

The nose on this baby is big, really big. Coffee, floral, spicy.

The taste surprises me, not sure why. It is very stoutish in flavor, with a bit more hops and floralish flavors. Oh, don't forget the toffee and chocolate overtones. I only had one, and I think that was the right number. You don't notice the alcohol.

It tingles the tongue with mild carbonation, and has a pleasant coaty action that sticks with you and warms into a floral hoppiness.

I will buy this beer again, but it's not in my top ten.

Cheers.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a goblet.

A - Has a dark brown, ruby red color with an eggshell color 2 finger head. Lots of bubbles streaming from the bottom.

S - Dark fruits and cherries with yeasty, bread notes. Some fig, cloves, and toffee detected. Alcohol is in there too.

T - A slight hop bitterness on the front, The middle is all plum, raisins, cherries, figs, and yeast. Blends together beautifully. The back has a slight alcohol burn with a red wine dryness.

M - Medium mouthfeel, that is very creamy. Carbonation is very good due to bottle conditioning.

Overall, a trappist monastery in Belgium shines again. This is one of my new favorites for the style. Second behind Rochefort 8 for me. Haven't had Westy 8 to compare so this is second in my book.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Dark mahogany red, off-white tan head sits on top throughout. Thick and smooth lacing, with good clarity.

Juicy, ripe red apples with a perfumy candied coating. Some faint alcoholic vapors, but very inviting.

Light, leafy prunes, blackberries, more of that candied apple edge. Some sweet caramelly malt. Yeast is downtempo and hops are quite delicate and match up well with the soft Belgian flavour.

Medium to full bodied, incredibly smooth, creamy and somewhat sticky. Carbonation is light, but there.

Ahhh so delicious. A satisfying and complex favourite, the dubbel of choice. Pairs well with a beef and vegetable stew, but great on it's own as it is delicate.

3.36/5  rDev -19%

From the bottle to a glass-

Look: Pours dark cloudy amber, tall fizzy head

Smell: Sweet and malty, but hops are present

Taste: Some complex malts... caramely aftertaste, bitterness lingers.

Feel: A touch of carbonation, fairly light

Drink: Decent flavor, though the bitter aftertaste carries a bit of alcohol. Very drinkable nonetheless. I literally drank the whole bottle trying to pin down the flavors, hence the sparse description.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

A - The beer pours a dark body with a very noticeable head . The head retains well until you're done with the beer. Very nice lacing.

S - I'm getting mixed with dark fruits. I like the combination but it's a bit difficult to separate the aromas.

T - I'm picking up a light citrus flavor, but not overpoweringly zesty. This ale is well pull together, and the citrus tops off an otherwise perfect beer.

M - I like the syruppy taste minus the viscosity. I could swish it around in my mouth if I wanted to.

D - This is definitely a premiere ale. While it is produced year round, I think it's hard to find a good pairing for this beer because it's so well put together. As is such, I feel like I need to save this beer for a special occasion even though it's readily available.

3.86/5  rDev -7%

A: Exceptional foam head with a dark brown color almost like mousse.

S: The smell had an interesting mixture of dark caramel, brown sugar, and roasted malts. A hint of raisin smells can be detected.

T: High alcohol taste, dry and bitter.

M: Heavy mouth coating.

D: not sure what to make of this so I'll just rate it good. It didn't suck but I'm not sure I'd buy a case.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

11.2oz bottle poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

Served close to room temp.

Appearance is good. Dark brick color. Decent head materializes. Carbonation makes itself evident.

Smell is good. Very earthy/herbal aroma. Belgian spices and semi-sweet dark fruits.

Taste is excellent. Identical to the smell but sweeter although non-cloying. Flavor isn't huge but perfect for the style. One of the best Dubbels i've tasted.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. Velvety smooth on the palate. The beer coates the tongue like a warm comfortable blanket on a cold winter evening. Carbonation is great and not overly done.

Drinkability is off the charts. I can sip this stuff all night if i had to.

Overall: One of the best dubbels i've had and a staple in my fridge.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Trappist Dubbel...Westmalle brings an incredibly complex, dark, heavily bodied beer to the plate. Pours a deep dark chestnut...if this beer was the sky, one might think a storm could be well on it's way. It has that kind of intensity. A burnt sugar head dissipates into a subtle crown not to far down the cup. Raisin, brown sugar, and subtle hints of coffee dominate the nose. The taste follows the nose beautifully, nuances of anise periodically break through. A smooth, heavy body is complimented by the slightly tart finish that lingers well. Stands so well on it’s own, but can be paired well with any number of flavorful, full bodied cheeses………..Enjoy

3.99/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle served in Pint Glass

Appearance: Dark

Smell: grapes, rasberries, plums, citrusy, dark and fruity overall. The aroma reminds me of wine.

Taste: The taste is akin to the aroma. It tastes very dark plummy and fruity. The taste reminds me of wine or champagne.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated with wet finish.

Overall This is a great Trappist brew, but it is not my favorite.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

A - luxurious appearance; served in tulip glass. Dark red-brown with powdery off-white head, yielding clusters of yeast after it dissipates.

S - vinuous; very subtle, not overwhelming

T - cherry primarily; dark fruits, dark chocolate; cola and oak

M - peppery, not overly sweet; I love how the true Belgian ales are not too sweet and in your face

O - A great example of one of my favorite styles; moderate and balanced. Not too high in alcohol, not too sweet or too sour.

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle