Westmalle Trappist Dubbel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Style: Dubbel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Reviews: 1,203 | Ratings: 2,668
4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a goblet.

A - Has a dark brown, ruby red color with an eggshell color 2 finger head. Lots of bubbles streaming from the bottom.

S - Dark fruits and cherries with yeasty, bread notes. Some fig, cloves, and toffee detected. Alcohol is in there too.

T - A slight hop bitterness on the front, The middle is all plum, raisins, cherries, figs, and yeast. Blends together beautifully. The back has a slight alcohol burn with a red wine dryness.

M - Medium mouthfeel, that is very creamy. Carbonation is very good due to bottle conditioning.

Overall, a trappist monastery in Belgium shines again. This is one of my new favorites for the style. Second behind Rochefort 8 for me. Haven't had Westy 8 to compare so this is second in my book.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Starts out with a wonderful two finger head that does dissipate quickly...But with a lot of lacing. The high carbonation sizzles at the roof of the mouth and flows to the back of the finish. Wow, nice sizzle. Wonderful notes of malty-figs and raisins that finishes with a tartness. There is a hint of roasted malty nuttiness about this one at the beginning that introduces itself in the front and middle--with just a smidge of bitterness that quickly gets tackled by the fruit and fig tartness. This one is just fantastic. I could drink two of these a day!

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Dark mahogany red, off-white tan head sits on top throughout. Thick and smooth lacing, with good clarity.

Juicy, ripe red apples with a perfumy candied coating. Some faint alcoholic vapors, but very inviting.

Light, leafy prunes, blackberries, more of that candied apple edge. Some sweet caramelly malt. Yeast is downtempo and hops are quite delicate and match up well with the soft Belgian flavour.

Medium to full bodied, incredibly smooth, creamy and somewhat sticky. Carbonation is light, but there.

Ahhh so delicious. A satisfying and complex favourite, the dubbel of choice. Pairs well with a beef and vegetable stew, but great on it's own as it is delicate.

3.36/5  rDev -19%

From the bottle to a glass-

Look: Pours dark cloudy amber, tall fizzy head

Smell: Sweet and malty, but hops are present

Taste: Some complex malts... caramely aftertaste, bitterness lingers.

Feel: A touch of carbonation, fairly light

Drink: Decent flavor, though the bitter aftertaste carries a bit of alcohol. Very drinkable nonetheless. I literally drank the whole bottle trying to pin down the flavors, hence the sparse description.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

A - The beer pours a dark body with a very noticeable head . The head retains well until you're done with the beer. Very nice lacing.

S - I'm getting mixed with dark fruits. I like the combination but it's a bit difficult to separate the aromas.

T - I'm picking up a light citrus flavor, but not overpoweringly zesty. This ale is well pull together, and the citrus tops off an otherwise perfect beer.

M - I like the syruppy taste minus the viscosity. I could swish it around in my mouth if I wanted to.

D - This is definitely a premiere ale. While it is produced year round, I think it's hard to find a good pairing for this beer because it's so well put together. As is such, I feel like I need to save this beer for a special occasion even though it's readily available.

3.86/5  rDev -7%

A: Exceptional foam head with a dark brown color almost like mousse.

S: The smell had an interesting mixture of dark caramel, brown sugar, and roasted malts. A hint of raisin smells can be detected.

T: High alcohol taste, dry and bitter.

M: Heavy mouth coating.

D: not sure what to make of this so I'll just rate it good. It didn't suck but I'm not sure I'd buy a case.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

11.2oz bottle poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

Served close to room temp.

Appearance is good. Dark brick color. Decent head materializes. Carbonation makes itself evident.

Smell is good. Very earthy/herbal aroma. Belgian spices and semi-sweet dark fruits.

Taste is excellent. Identical to the smell but sweeter although non-cloying. Flavor isn't huge but perfect for the style. One of the best Dubbels i've tasted.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. Velvety smooth on the palate. The beer coates the tongue like a warm comfortable blanket on a cold winter evening. Carbonation is great and not overly done.

Drinkability is off the charts. I can sip this stuff all night if i had to.

Overall: One of the best dubbels i've had and a staple in my fridge.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Trappist Dubbel...Westmalle brings an incredibly complex, dark, heavily bodied beer to the plate. Pours a deep dark chestnut...if this beer was the sky, one might think a storm could be well on it's way. It has that kind of intensity. A burnt sugar head dissipates into a subtle crown not to far down the cup. Raisin, brown sugar, and subtle hints of coffee dominate the nose. The taste follows the nose beautifully, nuances of anise periodically break through. A smooth, heavy body is complimented by the slightly tart finish that lingers well. Stands so well on it’s own, but can be paired well with any number of flavorful, full bodied cheeses………..Enjoy

3.99/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle served in Pint Glass

Appearance: Dark

Smell: grapes, rasberries, plums, citrusy, dark and fruity overall. The aroma reminds me of wine.

Taste: The taste is akin to the aroma. It tastes very dark plummy and fruity. The taste reminds me of wine or champagne.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated with wet finish.

Overall This is a great Trappist brew, but it is not my favorite.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

A - luxurious appearance; served in tulip glass. Dark red-brown with powdery off-white head, yielding clusters of yeast after it dissipates.

S - vinuous; very subtle, not overwhelming

T - cherry primarily; dark fruits, dark chocolate; cola and oak

M - peppery, not overly sweet; I love how the true Belgian ales are not too sweet and in your face

O - A great example of one of my favorite styles; moderate and balanced. Not too high in alcohol, not too sweet or too sour.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a deep brown with miles of rocky head. Lacing is spectacular. Fruity, citrusey hops dominate the nose. Dark fruit you'd expect in the style is there but subdued. Light waft of alcohol presence, but not at all overdone. Start is overwhelmingly carbonated. Sweet malt, fruity at the start. Alcoholic finish. Strong bready presence from the middle to the aftertaste. Not a bottle conditioned Trappist ale, but still strong yeast character. Medium to light mouthfeel - lighter than I expected. Highly drinkable!

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%

A = Poured dark brownish red. Finger and a half of head, minimal lacing.

S = Has a simple pleasant sweet/malty aroma. Not very complex.

T = Carbonation hits quick. Not much complexity of flavors fill in behind the initial carbonation shock. The word that comes to mind is "empty". Some hints of malt and maybe a grape-like fruity taste with some bitterness fill in toward the end.

M = A little heavy on the carbonation, but overall not a bad mouthfeel. Finished pretty dry.

D = Pretty drinkable. Alcohol is nowhere to be found.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

The pour is deep brown with ruby highlights when held to the light. There is the slight cloudiness you expect from a bottle conditioned ale, though the yeast seems to clump nicely in the bottom of the bottle and so doesn't find its way into the glass if you're careful. The head is tight and long, long lasting with a tendancy to lacing.

The smell is perhaps the weakest point (which is just nitpicking) of this beer, it's hoppy and musty/yeasty with a touch of the high carbonation giving a slight CO2 twang to the nose.

The taste is - wonderful. Not especially complex, but perfectly balanced; each mouthful is a journey which begins with the malt, progresses to bitterness and ends with a pleasant yeasty aftertaste.

There's a big mouthfeel - high carbonation can turn the beer to foam if you roll it around your mouth too much,

Drinkability - well, if I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life I wouldn't mind it being this one.

Overall, this is my favourite Belgian beer - I'm always tempted to try and homebrew a clone myself, but I doubt I could do it justice.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into a goblet.

A - Dark brown body that produces a very fine mass of bubbles. A brown spume of a head can form if the ale is poured too fast. The head is light brown, stands up well and creates deep-pocketed lace on the rim of the goblet.

S - Light malt nose with a light hoppiness. I'm not good with the olfactory, so I might be off here.

T - Currants (not raisins) and coffee-like coating on the tongue. A little alcoholic warmth on the end.

M - Well, maybe a dubbel is not for me. With a brew this dark I'm expecting a little weight to the body. But for the style it's probably in the correct range. The monks must have enjoyed this during the summer days.

Overall, a good Belgian ale to drink in the warmer months.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottle, served in a chimay goblet. Best before May 27, 2012

A - Dark coffee mahogany colour, with 1" dense head. Quickly dissipated, no lacing

S - Brown sugar, dark fruits. All very subtle.

T - Medium-high carbonation off the top, leading into fig, low percentage dark chocolate, a little burnt malt. Mild astringent/sour aftertaste which is not pleasing.

M - Full bodied, but not too thick. Clings to the mouth.

Because I really enjoy dark Belgians of all kinds, I feel the bottle I had must have been past it's prime, as it's very close to the best-before date on the bottle. I've never had it before now, but will give it another go if the opportunity arises.

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thick & frothy white head sits on top of a dark red/brown beer that is almost opaque. Nice lacing on the glass. I smell white wine, citrus, raisin bread, some cinnamon. Flavor is out of this world: caramel, grapes, more of that raisin bread, brown sugar with a perfectly balanced but slightly chocolatey-bitter finish--a lot going on! The carbonation is really nice on the tongue. Slight warming from the alcohol. Exceptional.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Nice foamy head and a great sweet smell. Pours a dark amber with a tan head. First taste is just...WOW. Where have you been all my life? fruity with a nice long bitter finish but nothing overpowering. Great balance. Motuhfeel if soft, not too think, but not too thin. Goes down smooth, this is a beer I could dirnk a lot of. Drank it too fast to be honest. Amazing.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

33cl bottle Poured into a Westmalle goblet

A: A rich deep brown that presents a velvety red hue with the light. Visible medium level carbonation, frothy with decent lacing, solid and well balanced, hazy ruby smokiness with some light sediment

S: Chocolate and malty, almost a caramel, good earth inspired pumpernickel, banana is upfront and quite forthcoming (hey, these Westmalle monks love their Banana). A faint spiciness with a bit of clove and ginger?

T: Definitely sweet upfront with a toasty fruitiness that progresses into a smoky blend of spice that is even a bit boozy. The dominant fruitiness is not overwhelming and blends politely with the bready yeast notes. Absence of any bitter character, but well-balanced complexity that isn’t too malty

M: Well bodied, a bit creamy, carbonation’s presence tingles the tongue, smooth almost soft. Has a heaviness that is quickly evident and fills the mouth.

O: A handsome brew that is excellent for sipping. I can’t comment on the availability, but something I would like to enjoy again. A good winter beer that is warming and highly delectable. Something I am looking forward to drinking again.

4.86/5  rDev +17.1%

PRESENTATION: 750mL corked and caged bottle, brown glass. Price: $10.99. Bottled 09/30/10, best by 09/30/12, drank on 10/02/12. The plastic cork is hard as hell to get out of the bottle; I fumbled with it for about 5 minutes, probably bruising my thumbs in the process, and I was sober. Bought from the local package store that hosts beer tastings all the time, and has a massive selection of craft beers and imports. Thank you to Blacklick Wine and Spirits in Columbus, OH.

APPEARANCE: pours nicely in to a large lowball glass (my own choice - I think these styles shine in the straight-sided, wide glasses - dark brown (not black, nowhere near a stout or porter) with strong red ruby highlights when held to the light. Looks like a cola, from what I remember. I don't touch cola, nor anything caffeinated. I stick with alcohol. Darkness hides sediment well.

With a gentle pour, there is little head, but what head is there sticks around. With a vigorous pour, there is a one-and-one-half finger to two-finger head, which dissipates rather quickly while leaving the same ring of head as a gentle pour. It laces the glass decently, but not as well as the Westmalle Tripel I had the other day.

It is quite cloudy from yeast, with a bit of yeast particles congregating or flocculating at the bottom of the glass after the liquid is downed.

SMELL: very nice aroma, a bit boozy, with strong hints - more like already-solved puzzles - of berries, especially blackberry and currant (and red gooseberry and raisin and raspberry[?]). Esters. Like booze-soaked raisins and currants. Almost like a very watered down Sailor Jerry's without the cherry - and I love me some o' the ol' Sailor. It's an excellent smell for the style, but is a little alcoholic, and a bit low on the caramel-like smells that I feel should emanate therefrom; it has no smell of spice which emanates from Rocheforts, and which I have grown to dislike. This smell is almost a five.

MOUTHFEEL: high carbonation for the style, I think (although I've had few Dubbels, and "dark beer" generally is my preference, I've had many Tripels, Belgian Strong Dark and Pale Ales, and Quads), with a somewhat dry astringency on the palate, starting off bubbly, with notes of brut champagne - both in the carbonation and in the flavor itself. It is, according to my preference, a most smooth libation. The carbonation is excellent, but the body is a bit weak in comparison to it; this is a little thinner than I would prefer - although I may be reading too much stout in to this Dubbel - so I subtract 0.5 points.

TASTE: not so much like the aroma. There is no taste of alcohol in this beer - not like the aroma and the 7% ABV would suggest - just an excellent, fruity, brut-champagne-like flavor - that's right, it's fruity without being sweet. Although there seems to be, on some sips, a hint of sweetness, I can't pin it down. There are notable components of yeast, although this yeast lends no "bready" flavor to the beer, contra most other reviewers: I can taste the bread in Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout: I can not taste the bread in this. It is on the rich side for the thin mouthfeel. There is a pronounced, while subtle, grape character: if I did not know otherwise, I would Christen this a "barleywine", as it has more characteristics in common with certain grape-based drinks than any exemplar of that style which hath ever crossed my palate. Not exceedingly complex, but not simple; it is quite drinkable, but not a session beer, although by this point in my review, 5/6 of the way through a 750mL bottle, I'm quite tipsy.

OVERALL, 5/5: I really don't see how this could be improved, even if it's a little low on body and high on carbonation for my tastes, any permutation altering the body and carbonation that I run through in my mind's palate somehow isn't quite as good. This is one of the best beers in the world, to my palate; St Bernardus Abt 12 is easily the best, this being in second place for Belgians, and the top 5 overall.

As a previous reviewer noted, if this is in your glass, this is a special occasion. Drink it daily! I paid $11 for this bottle; it was worth it. I recommend letting it warm for a little before drinking it; my last half-glass out of the bottle was better than my first, which was served around 45ºF or so, maybe 50ºF.

Final verdict: if you haven't had this ale, buy it: it won't let you down. It is more like champagne in consistency and in flavor than any beer I have had otherwise; I'm not a large fan of champagne (I once bought a bottle of Dom Perignon and Moet et Chandon White Star to see if it would make a difference: it didn't), but this isn't a putdown of the beer: it does what champagne could not.

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%

This was a bottle from 1972 (!) Tasted at Kroegske in 2001. Appearance: Reddish brown, light head, very clear. Aroma; Sherryish, malty, some oxidation. Flavor:rich, sherry-ish old ale flavors; rum, dates, etc. Mouthfeel: light bodied, with mild carbonation. Sherryish finish. Pretty unique!

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%

Brown coloured beer, not much of a head.
A very complex noise, contains candy-sugar, raisin and other fruits (can’t quiet describe it), spices and roasted malts.
Initial taste is light bitter-light sweet, with spicy and roasted malts.
Full body, normal carbonation, little dry mouthfeel. Nice spicy, light bitter lasting finish.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into my DFH snifter. Nice balsa like head about 500 mils high. Tiny bubbles ascending around the periphery forming a ring of tiny bubbles floating on top of larger bubbles.

Aroma is full of dark fruits, very ripe, and very very sweet.

Tastes perfectly balanced. Sweet, ripe, tart, crisp, warming, walnuts, fruitcake, the whole bit.

Perfectly conditioned. Bubbles tickle the sides of the tungue.

Very drinkable however I only have a single.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours chocolately brown with a soft off-white/light tan head.

Nose is relatively faint when poured in the Westmalle chalice, but occasional wisps of chocolately malts and dried fruits do appear. I was expecting a little more on the nose.

Chocolate and dried fruit follow through on the palate with a nice medium, but round mouthfeel. Carbonation is less active and fine than the Tripel, which I feel is more appropriate. Nice lingering malt-driven finish.

Overall a very well-balanced beer that should please any Belgian beer fan.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours from a little bottle into a goblet. Great color that is hard to nail down. Brown, sure, but with enough red and black to keep you looking back. Massive rocky off-white head lingers for a while. Decent lacing.

Smells Like: Malt and prunes, some plum and perhaps a bit of alcohol just to cut the sweet. No hop or spiciness whatsoever, which is fine.

Taste: Fruit everywhere. I get raisins and plums and a bit of toffee. Not overly sweet. Quite flavorful. Warmth from alcohol and the tiniest bit of solvent (fusels? Sulphur?). Yummy is a good descriptor.

Mouthfull: Medium full. Drier than you might expect, but very coating at the same time. Complex and interesting, especially as it warms.

Overall: A very fine beer. The key here is the depth of flavor as it starts doing somersaults down your throat and the lingering tastes on your tongue go through their motions. Not a "wow!," but a very drinkable beer and a classic example of the style.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Pours a dark amber color with a pretty impressive head

S - Dominated by malt and fruity citrus notes

T - Tons of fruit, citrus, caramel malt, some alcohol warmth

M - Medium body, Moderate carbonation, very smooth

D - Very nice smooth fruity beer, that is not overwhelming

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel from Brouwerij Westmalle