Westmalle Trappist Dubbel | Brouwerij Westmalle

Style: Dubbel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2000

Ratings: 2,732 |  Reviews: 1,229
4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

Presentation: Poured from a 75cl Westmalle bottle into an unbranded wine-style glass.

A: This beer is extremely dark, lets no light through, has no head, but does coat my glass with some nice lacing.

S: This beer smells wonderful. A little bit bready like a pumpernickel, sweet maltiness in the nost, and the yeast character comes through a bit also. Really enjoying the smell of this one. Maybe reminds me of gingerbread as well in a small way.

T: A very good dubbel, this beer tastes perfectly balanced between sweet and bitter, and has a nice yeast character. Not like drinking liquid bread either, which I think for the darkness of this beer is a good thing.

M: Maybe a little bit undercarbonated, but I think I was glad at the same time it wasn't more so. This beer had a really nice thickness to it that coated my mouth. I was really enjoying that aspect of it.

D: Pretty high for a beer this dark; I probably could have had 2 or 3 if I wasn't on my 4th beer already.

I would definitely seek this beer out again, and preferred it to the Westmalle Tripel by a mile. I don't think it is the absolutely best dubbel I have ever had, but it is definitely one of the 2 or 3 best. Highly recommended for the style, and really any beer drinker in general that likes a nicely balanced beer, that tends toward the sweet malts as opposed to bitterness.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: Huge 3 fingers of tannish head. Very carbonated. There's a nice bubbly texture on the head when poured which draws back after a few minutes leaving nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Rich caramel & malt strong in the aroma. Hints of earthy fruits such as dates, raisins, & prunes. Slight cherry aroma somewhere?

Taste: Like the aroma, the flavor is rich with raisins & dates. Warming with a slight alcohol touch in the finish. Very subtle. Very well balanced. Finishes crisp...

Mouthfeel: Slightly thick & cloying, but not in a bad way. Expected in this style. Very warming, but carbonation lends a criso, clean feeling.

Drinkability: This is VERY drinkable from my point of view! I could live on this. It is well balances between maltiness, fruitiness, & alcohol. Not overpoweringly rich or sweet.

Comments: I truly enjoyed this all the way through the glass. Each sip seemed to be better than the last. By the first true Belgain dubbel I've reviewed, this was everything I had expected.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer was exceptional from start to finish. After pouring this dubbel into a tulip glass, I took a 20 minute nap waiting for the crazy foam to settle. Awesome! Smell of yeast, carmel, and fruits. Smooooth feel with sweet malts, sugar, toffee, caramel, and an alcohol hit to finish.

My favorite Trappist to date. D Train could drink this brew all the way down the line...

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

33cl bottle poured into a snifter

pours a fluffy two finger head which quickly dissipates to almost nothing. beer is a beautiful deep mahogany color.

aromas of fruits - plums, raisins, and cherries - as well as a strong malt presence. some alcohol presence at the end.

taste matched the aroma, only a bit of spiciness at the end. mouthfeel was the strong point here for me - perfectly carbonated, not too thick, but still with body.

overall, very enjoyable, it definitely stands up even more considering its price and availability.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Dark brown ,decent head,medium carbonation. The only way I can describe it is it smelled like spicey banana bread. Taste followed aroma with added malt and a mild bitter hoppy finish. A really well made beer that calls to be enjoyed slowly

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Deep rich brown, like a dark walnut wood. Smooth and subtle bubbling activity through the body of the beer and the full cocoa head.
Mellow malt aroma with hints of plums and alcohol.
Delicious malt flavor balanced with slight hoppiness and the plum hues in the background.
Medium mouthfeel covers the tongue with malt and then drifts away and leaves a lingering after taste of plumb/hops throughout the mouth and nose.
I would enjoying sipping this all night, very drinkable.
I've had this beer several times and refrained from reviewing it because I thought factors other than the beer might be contributing to my enjoyment of it. But it hits me the same way every time. For me, this is a Hall of Fame beer.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a Stone snifter, Bottle had 270310 on it.

A: Pours a light brown, with about an inch of head retention that dissipates quickly. This bottle was a bit of a gusher.

S: A sweet spicy smelling beer, maybe a little clove in there. Yeast and malts are noticeable, as well as a touch of alcohol.

T: The malt overtone is dominating the front end of this beer, hints of cloves and some dark fruits, maybe figs or plumbs come through. Toffee is also pretty noticeable. Hints of yeast near the end.

M/D: This beer was a gusher, but it was not overly carbonated, just the right amount to capture the smooth and creamy nature of this beer. A lot going on, kept my interest the whole way through. Highly drinkable, I could drink this all day.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Opened a bottle today with a best before date of 3/5/13.

Appearance is about what I would expect from a Dubbel, Dark copper brown almost opaque, no real haze with a darker creme-brown one finger head that recedes but sticks around with a thin layer.

Smells of figs and caramel malt sweetness, backed by a roasted warming alcohol character, quite pleasant not overwhelming.

Taste is on par with the smell, balanced fig and caramel flavors accent a roasted backbone that warms the pallet. On the back end the caramel and fig flavors fall off leaving an aftertaste of pleasant roasted bitterness.

The mouth feel is a little less than I would have thought given the nose, but never the less pleasant.

Overall this beer is balanced nicely; I will definitely be buying some more in the near future.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

pour it out in a nice goblet

A, dark deep reddish brown color with a thin off white head this is a good start the hue is attractive ,no lace .

S,dark rich malt some sweet fruit plum and berrys ,raisin and fine hops .complex ,it`s freshing to the nose .

T, full of sweet malt,along with yeast, hops and fruits it`s nice .slight bitterness spicey and creamy .

M, a pleasent malt on the palate .sweetness the yeast stands out, smooth yet dry after taste .

D,i can drink this often and i do when ever i can get my hands on it,nothing here you would get tired of .

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

A truly exceptional brew from Westmalle.

A: This beer pours a dark, dark cloudy amber with an exceptionally large 1/5" head and a literal wall of foam left on the glass with rings. Unbelievable.

S: A very balanced nose full of hops and dark roasted malts. It smells like a tripel. Excellent balance.

T: The taste is oddly biased towards the hops. I did not expect this; this is my first dubbel. It reminds me of American IPA's in terms of the hop presence, but with the exceptional Belgian malt touch and ungodly bottle conditioning. This beer is just nearly perfect in every respect...I can't find any fault with it. Wait for it to warm up, too, it only gets better!

M: High carbonation typical for this style of beer, and very pleasant nonetheless. I find there's an ability to taste Belgian beers like this for longer, even as they warm up, than their American counterparts because it's so clean and flavorful.

D: Watch out, 7%. I finished my small bottle and decided to take a long break!

4.54/5  rDev +9.4%

A dark ruby brown pour with an incredible tan rich head. I just want to look at it. The lacing is rich and thick.

Ok, well, even though the beer appears to be posing for the camera, drink it we shall.

The nose is stewed fruits. Very rich. Prunes, raisins, cherries - wonderful.

The palate bursts with the same fruitiness as on the nose, followed quickly with bread like tones. A mild roastiness comes in for the finish.

Great things are happening here.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Medium to dark brown. Very thick, beige head.

S: Sugar and malt, but nothing too specific.

T: Sweet, malty. Somewhat earthy. Roasted caramel develops as you drink.

M: Foamy and over-carbonated.

D: Not overly heavy. Complex enough to not be boring, but I wasn't as impressed as I've heard.

Maybe I was let down after hearing such great things about this beer. It's a good, solid selection, but I didn't think it was one of the best beers I've had.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel (bottle dated 06/09/06 = brewed on 06/09/02):

De-freakin-liceous looking in my Westmalle Chalice…the way God meant it. Slightly yeasty nose with a touch of cinnamon and chocolate. Hops are easy, but right up front with a long dark chocolate-malty finish. Thinnish body and, since 1856, very easy drinkin’…drink and learn. And as it sits and warms, it just gets better and better. Niiiice.

Cheers…