Dragonmead Crown Jewels India Pale Ale | Dragonmead Microbrewery

3.6/5
Dragonmead Crown Jewels India Pale AleDragonmead Crown Jewels India Pale Ale

Dragonmead Microbrewery
dragonmead.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by ypsifly on 01-17-2006

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

A- Dark amber- copper color, little to no head, minimal lacing if any.

S- Strange metallic like sent. Almost a sour malt overtone. Not great.

T- Mild malt flavor comes through first. A nice hop bitterness prevails next. Not overpowering in any respect. Not overwhelming either I'm afraid. Fortunately every sip is better than the last.

M- This IPA kind of coats the mouth. Goes down ok, can't complain too much, after all I am enjoying a cold beer. But I have had better.

O- Maybe should of tried this before I enjoyed a 90 minute. You can't do much better than Dogfish heads masterpiece. But I don't hate it at all.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

3.47/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

0133 on the bottom of the bottle -- I don't know if that means this was bottled on the 13th day of this year, the 3rd day of this year, or if it's not relevant at all. If that IS the date, then this IPA is 5+ months old (After looking, it appears that that's just a batch code... so I don't know when this was bottled.)

Appearance: Poured this $3 single into my Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. Like any other bottled Dragonmead beer, the label is pretty bland... seems like it was made in a cheap computer program like ... I don't know ... Paint. The beer pours a slightly hazy orange color with quite a few particles floating around. I give this a 3/5 because there was basically no head, and no lacing... that's a big part of appearance for me when judging most beers.

Smell: Dark fruits and alcohol, primarily, for me... which I wasn't expecting. I've had a few other English IPAs in the past, but I don't remember them tasting or smelling like this one. The alcohol in the nose makes this one feel like it's a higher ABV than 7%.

Taste/feel: Not bad. A HUGE amount of sweetness -- really, I don't get any bitterness here. If I do, it's really quite subtle. The taste of Crown Jewels is big on the dark fruits, and maybe a trace of alcohol from the slight burn... then again, that could be the carbonation. The aftertaste is still very sweet with fruits, but some malts come in to add a bit more dimension. I really don't get any serious hop flavors (which I understand is normal for this particular style) unless I burp.

I wish I could say I loved this beer because I paid $3 for a single, but yeah. It's definitely not worth $3. It's pretty good, but overly sweet for my taste.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

3.71/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I enjoyed this one. It went down easy and had a clean taste with good flavors. Well balanced between malts and hops. The look was as it should be, nice head that lingered and great golden clear color. Very inviting. I could not pick up much with my nose but the pollen is high right now. Mouthfeel was great for carbonation and had a good creamy feel but not sticky. Finished clean and refreshing. Overall this is a nice beer that I would get again, but a bit pricey at $3.49 for a single. It did not have deep complex flavor, just simply drinkable and pleasant. If I find it at a better price I would go for it again. I will have to try on tap.

Dragonmead Crown Jewels India Pale Ale from Dragonmead Microbrewery