Final Absolution Trippel

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Final Absolution TrippelFinal Absolution Trippel
Notes: Dragonmead's signature product! This is the ultimate Belgian style. The very high gravity of this beer is balanced by the smoothness of its finish. Banana and Clove aromas come from the Belgian yeast strain combining with the generous dose of Belgian Candi Sugar. The Saaz hops help to give this beer a balanced bitterness with no noticeable hop aroma.
Reviews: 226 | Ratings: 597 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
VoxRationis from New York

3.67/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Decanted from a 12 oz (355 ml) bottle into a Captain Lawrence muffin top pint; bottle 09/19/19.
A: Pours a crystal clear, light copper color with modest head formation, ultimately leaving a less than one finger, off-white head, rim retention and very limited lacing.
S: Aromas of cloves, fig, orange, caramel, and banana predominate the nose.
T: Sweet, perhaps a bit too sweet. Flavors of cloves, fig, banana, Cointreau, and honey blend nicely. Bitterness light and drinks very cleanly.
M: Light to medium bodied with low effervescence.
O: This is a very nicely made American produced Tripel.

Mar 20, 2020
dd53grif from Michigan

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a dark gold color with a white foamy head that lasts quite a while. Aroma of fruity, orange and a hint of banana. Tastes of alcohol, vanilla and orange. A hoppy bitterness at the end.

Jun 09, 2019
Beginner2 from Illinois

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A pleasant surprise and quite good relative to the American competition. And given how dedicated Dragonmead is (they have been working at their crafts since the previous century), this triple proves that persistence produces results.

Looks offer a pretty orange. Smells tell me I am in for a sweet one (which I don't mind, but I also like dimension.) Tastes are honest, but sweet. Finishes the same way. Their triple tastes a lot like I remember mead.

I give good OA hugs to Dragonmead for being pioneers in Michigan and innovating. But to keep their Belgian bona fides, I think they should offer up a more thoughtful menu.

Apr 14, 2019
beertunes from Montenegro

2.93/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Thanks to JodiB for this one. 12oz bottle poured into 12oz tulip. Poured an Amber-copper color, darker than most Trippels, with about 3/4 inch of off-white head that had moderate retention and lacing.

The aroma was a bit sweeter than most of the style, with the expected yeast spiciness being barely noticeable. Same on the tongue, very sweet and low yeast.

The body was much thicker and stickier than is typical, and had sweet finish. Drinkability was harder than I like, especially in what is likely my favorite style. Overall, not a terrible beer, but certainly below average for the style.

Apr 04, 2019
GuyFawkes from Illinois

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

Murky golden hue.

White head; minimal lace.

Banana & clove nose; hint of grass.

Medium thick mouthfeel.

Banana, clove & marijuana notes.

Decent but forgettable.

Mar 23, 2019
Olearris from Michigan

It is by far the best michigan beer. Hand down. Kill me if it ain't. I am very lucky a near by shop carrys this. 10% strong and amazing. I just wish it was a six pack!

Oct 07, 2018
JimboBrews54 from Michigan

4.5/5  rDev +10%

This one has some punch to it, probably one of DM's heavier beers but one of the most popular because it is one of the only Belgian Trippels offered on the market.

Oct 06, 2018
Quackershnoc from Michigan

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: rich orange-gold color; thick pillowy white head; becomes little walls around the sides; lots of visible carbonation

Aroma: sweet; malty; big bready and yeasty notes; caramel; banana; slight spice

Taste: sweet all the way through; starts with banana and bread; grain bill gets huge through the middle; caramel and some more banana; toffee; finishes with more bread and yeast; lighter on the banana; stone fruits; just a hint of spice and some grassy hops right at the end

Mouthfeel: full bodied; thick; velvety smooth; fantastic

Overall Impression: this is such a great beer; very tasty, well made, huge flavors, and tons going on; when I want a tripel, this is the one I think of; I have a few in the cellar, and I can't wait to see what some time does to this guy!

Mar 17, 2018
bigowlbrendan from North Carolina

2.81/5  rDev -31.3%

I purchased this beer during a prolonged stay in Michigan. Picked it up at Bella Vino on 12 mile. I'm a pretty big fan of Belgian Style Beer so I figured it was worth a shot.
The aroma on opening the bottle is distinctly yeast. No other aromas present in the bottle.
Poured, the beer is a clear reddish amber with a white lacey head that doesn't linger for more than 5 seconds.
After pouring into a cup, the beer took on a very metallic aroma that was quite off-putting. I reminds me of the scent miscellaneous beer cans in my old college dorm recycling bin.
The flavor is very light and crisp upfront, honestly it tastes a bit like the Red Oak Lager readily available back in NC. Quite different from the heavy, cake and banana bread-esque Dubbels and Tripels I'm used to. Where it differs from Red Oak in flavor is the after taste. Prepare for more college after party recycling bin. On a positive note the tin can doesn't linger.
Despite the metallic taste popping up the beer does seem to finish clean with no lingering flavors. The alcohol is also deceptive here, as there are no "boozy" flavors or aromas to let you know it's packing 10% abv (also not indicated anywhere on the packaging).
Overall, would I pick up another 4 pack? Probably not. Is it a decent beer, you bet. But if you pick this up hoping for something in-line with Allagash Tripel or Golden Monkey you will be let down.

Mar 07, 2018
chitoryu12 from Florida

3.37/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Look: Transparent amber with a thin tan head.

Smell: Yeasty malt and spicy clove-like scent, like I'm smelling this at a Creole dinner.

Taste: It takes half a second to hit your tongue once you swallow, with a return of the yeasty malt and some lager-like hops on the back end. Despite being 10% ABV, you barely taste it unless you take a huge swig.

Mouthfeel: Definitely thicker than a lager, but not on the creamy level of something like Guinness.

Overall: It's a bit unusual. I don't think I would take this as a regular choice, but there's nothing offensive about it and it's definitely different.

Dec 19, 2017
ovaltine from Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pour is a beautiful burnt orange, light tan head. Aromas are esters, stone fruit, light caramel and toffee.

The caramel and toffee notes dominate the taste initially, but t then the esters and stone fruit notes bring this home nicely. An excellent example of the style, IMHO.

Dec 18, 2017
claminat420 from Michigan

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle marked 07/18/17 on top of label. hardy pour into my Michigan awesome imperial stout glass.

Appearance- a transparent straw color with an odd silky head. leaves minimal lacing. for the style it looks good.

Aroma- bready with some clove. maybe a hint of banana. I dig it. I feel some Belgians have that clove blast that's really strong. this brew doesn't have that.

Flavor- like the smell. the abv is very well hidden which is great for how high it is. only thing that's off to me is i'm getting a weird lager like character coming from the yeast. it's very light and not anything I would put a thumbs down to. just different. i'm not a trippel expert or anything maybe that's just the style it's just what i'm detecting.

Mouthfeel- medium/ light bodied. good carbonation. has a silkiness to it which is really nice.

Drinkability- only grabbed a single of this but I wouldn't mind drinking this again down the road when i'm feeling like a really good tripel but don't want to pay the overseas price.

Overall- I must state i'm not a Belgian drinker. I've had a few and tripel's are prolly my favorite. don't care really for farmhouse/saisons and I really don't care for sours. for a tripel that's really good and don't want to drop $20 (or close to that) for a four pack this brew is a must try.

Aug 18, 2017
puck1225 from Texas

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Slightly cloudy golden brown. Fruity sweet smell,a poles and pears. Carries over to the taste. Also an earthy woodsy taste . Kinda of a dry finish. Good beer!

Mar 01, 2017
WesMantooth from Ohio

4.09/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel glass

It is a deep gold color with a below average sized head for the style.

Smells like bananas, cloves, carmalized sugar, and funky yeast.

It tastes mainly like it smells with a bit of a peppery bite up front, and very sweet, Runts candy like banana flavor dominating. Also some pink bubble gum, doughy bread, and a bit of apple juice. There is a noticeable bitterness that was surprising. The cloves and fruity Brets really linger in the aftertaste.

No noticeable alcohol and pretty smooth. Very tasty beer

Jan 24, 2017
likebutts52 from Michigan

it is good. v creamy, lots of head - SOMEWHAT frothy, GOOD MOUTH FEEL YES.
VAGUELY NUTTY.
taste - too sour. needs more citrus fruit.
overall 10/10 would bang

Nov 04, 2016
Tshane from Michigan

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Lovely wheaty straw. Lacing stays a while, following a half inch head.

Aroma: Ripe unknown fruit (meloney), sugar, fermented (VERY slight vinegar)--but that complements, does not distract from or detract from the aroma.

Taste: Sweet and bitter (a little too bitter) but fairly well-balanced, even for this bitterness hater. Fruity and tasty. I know "tasty" isn't much to go on, but I don't have the taste buds to tell my brain exactly how it tastes to you supertasters. Wish I could discern banana esters and apple peels and cloves... Not in the cards with my deficient taste buds, apparently.

Feel: Fizz dances interestingly but a little too much on the tongue after each sip. Thinner than most, but not quite thin.

Flavor is excellent: complex and balanced fruitiness, bitter and sweet malt. The only downers are a little too much hops and a little too fizzy. If one could put 7UP, ripe fruit and a bitter finish together, you might come up with this, except take out a lot of the over-the-top sugar in the 7UP.

Sep 13, 2016
BeerFinch from Michigan

4.76/5  rDev +16.4%

I've spent a lot of years drinking beers, being in to the IPAs and stronger flavors without really paying attention. The IPAs led me here but this is one of the first beers I've had that I sat and sipped purely for flavor. I don't know how to describe it, but it's smooth, not very carbonated and with a very distinct flavor. Bottled almost measures up to the draft. I'd recommend this beer any day of the week.

Jul 13, 2016
Victory_Sabre1973 from Minnesota

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a amber color.
The head is minimal. There is carbination in the beer after pouring.
The nose is, well, for a word, delicious. It does have some sweetness, but not obnoxious. There seems to be a slight citrus aroma also.
This beer tastes, and here's my quote from first tasting it "well heloooo". It is smooth. Has a bit of booziness. Damn, it is delicious.

If you can get this beer, please do so. It is very good.

May 02, 2016
outdoor7or24 from Georgia

3.92/5  rDev -4.2%

Had some at Detroit airport at shotz pub.
A: brilliant golden body color, +1 finger white foam head, heavy stringy lacing
S: banana and clove, candy sugar
M: medium creamy body with tasty rain on the tongue
T: clove, Belgian yeast, candy sugar, banana, semi dry finish
O: great brew, wish I could get some more

Mar 18, 2016
Hudsonvalleyman from New York

4.74/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle bought 12/31/15. Clear golden color with light white head with negligible lacing. Candy, honey, banana aroma. This beer tastes like heaven: honey, clove and banana in a complex blend that is drinkable and refreshing. Sweet but not cloying. Substantial mouth feel — again, just right. Love this beer; very tasty and nicely balanced. I'm not a fan of trippels, but this one suits my taste for a trippel that I can finish and still want more.

Feb 20, 2016
WillieThreebiers from Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours an amber honey gold with a slight cap of head that recedes to a ring. Aroma of clove and banana... Taste of Belgian candy. Very sweet with a slight pucker in the end.

Feb 20, 2016
oldcrow1 from Michigan

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

A co-worker of mine gave me 3 bottles of this to try. I like Belgian beers. I did no pre-research on the beer, and the bottle did NOT display ABV (I looked). I DID read "Trippel," but...

It poured light golden and pleasingly well-carbonated into an Air Force 50th anniversary beer mug. Taste was light, crisp, and just a bit fruity (not sweet, per se). This reminded me, more than anything else, of a really really good lager! It was a hot day and I quickly quaffed all 3 while working outside. Very refreshing, and a perfect summer brew.

The next thing I knew, I was dragging myself across my front lawn by grabbing handfuls of dirt and grass. I looked up to see my wife (who would have been perfectly comfortable in the Prohibition Era) frowning at me from the front door. She advanced. I dispassionately watched as she kicked me HARD in my side, sending me on to my back. Thanks to Final Absolution, I didn't feel much of anything. My afternoon only went downhill from there....

To summarize, this beer tastes and drinks just like a wonderful session beer. It is, however, NOT a session beer. Be advised.

Nov 21, 2015
justinp444 from Michigan

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a large pint, it has a inch and a half thick white head and a clear orange yellow body. Smell is of candi sugar, sweet biscuity malt, caramel, some dried fruit, and citrus. Taste is a large amount of candi sugar, biscuity malt, citrus, slight bit of spice (pepper?), caramel, fig, and some floral notes. It has a good amount of carbonation, pretty sweet, and a nice smooth moderate mouth feel and body.

Sep 06, 2015
Raime from Greenland

3.19/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Dragonsmead Absolution Trippel.

Never tried a beer outta these guys...that I can remember at least. So let us see.

Look - Very, very clear burnt orange straight into the glass with the carbonation set on high. The head doesn't have much upon the pour and doesn't leave anything except a few spotty cloud formations. 3.5.

Smell - Sweet candies, a tad boozey with the usual farmhouse qualities that come out of this style. Hay with bubbelgum. Nothing overtaking though. 3.25.

Taste - Not even sure of the ABV on this guy as it doesn't say, but the alcohol takes a massive hold upon first hit. All the usual suspects including hay and bubbelgum are there. Has a touch of dextrose, and finishes very mustardy and unbalanced..3.25.

Feel - Very alcoholic body with enough carbonation power to destroy the United States. No detectable creaminess. 3.

Overall - Over paid on this bottle. For $3.59 I'd pass in the future. Not really a whole lot else to say, aside from the first two beers from Dominion, the rest have beh terrible or meh. 3.

Jul 25, 2015
KLHBB from Colorado

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Ok, the first beer of vacation is always exceptional. Slapshotz at the Detroit airport, 10 oz tulip. yummy. Honey gold color, an inch of head, thick, sticks to your nose. Sweet, lightly malty, bananas, tropical fruit, medium weight, I'm feeling the alcohol, I recommend!

May 07, 2015