•Ægir Tors Hammer | Ægir Bryggeri

Style: English Barleywine

Added by hurleymanvw on 09-27-2012

3.9

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

Time to take on the mighty Mjölnir, aka Thor’s Hammer, the mythical weapon of mass weather destruction (or creation, depending on your viewpoint - or what you’re standing under during a typhoon). This Tors Hammer comes from Ægir Bryggeri - those guys from that fjord who I’ve been reviewing brews of this last week. At 13.2% ABV this is easily the biggest beer I’ve had all year (sorry about the January jokes… come back in Feb if they bother you that much). Actually the last time I had a beer stronger than this was back in 2014 (Moon Dog’s Jumping The Shark) it really has been more than a year, so :P

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Presents a thick murky sepia body, yeast clumps evident, with a thin beige head that quickly subsides to a lace ring and naught much else. Pretty normal to have a non-existent head at 13.2% ABV, so no disappointment there. The yeast clumps however… 7/10.

S: Quite dark fruit driven with stewed plum, date and raisin, along with toffee and a hint of brandy. Expecting enough sugar for me to speed dial my dentist and ambulate myself to the nearest ER for immediate insulin injections - here’s hoping Ægir Bryggeri can balance it out somehow. 7/10.

T: Super sweet toffee hits upfront (I actually felt my dental fillings quake in fear) with the above noted dark fruits throughout and a sharp brandy-flavoured booze hit towards the finish. Aftertaste evokes some bold bitter herbal notes. So it is fairly well balanced, bit on the sweeter side but you expect that with a Barleywine, however that booziness is a touch on the aggressive side… I mean I’m looking to get drunk here, not so trashed that I bet away my house and car then wake up with swear words shaved into my head… that’s more a Friday night deal for me. 7/10.

M: Pretty dense bodied and oily… carbonation is near flat, as much you would expect given the style/ABV. 8/10.

D: So it’s a big fat drunken malt-fest of a brew, but it’s hard to fault it for that is what Barleywines generally are - they’re the John Belushi of beer styles: Loud, brash and rambunctious at the best of times, and smacked out at the worst. Overall, and apart from a bit of booziness, Tors Hammer fits the Barleywine profile well. All it really needs is finesse… and a free Berocca with every purchase. Note to self: Don’t forget to drink that pint of water before bed. 8/10.

Food match: I’m thinking Viking food - giant slabs of meat would help right now.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle in Olso.

Medium dark amberish color with a nice froth head. Beer leaves a good lace on the glass and has a nice aroma of caramel, slight fruit, and heavy malt. The alcohol is not overly apparent in the smell but the finish of the beer is slightly stronger. Nice balance of sweet and bitter with a very suttle overripped fruit taste present. Nice medium to full body. Mouthfeel is soft with a nice warming alcohol finish. Very nice beer to cozy up to on a cold night in Norway.

4.21/5  rDev +7.9%