Fireman's Brew Brunette Beer | Fireman's Brew, Inc.

good

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-01-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 138
1.64/5  rDev -52.3%

12oz bottle split with oglmcdgl by way of an extra in a recent trade.

Muddy dark red with brown creek water and 3/4th's of a semi loose large bubbled foam, no stick

Deep dark malt, a hint of smoke/peat and alot of sour apples in the sun. Also getting some caramel, vanilla and irish cream. The sour tartness is telling me this may be infected.

And it is infected, there is no doubt about it. Tart apple and just a off taste. If you try to forget about the problem there is some light plum and lighter raisin and some roast. The sweet maltiness may be there but it aint winning this game. Putrid.

The feel is medium in stature, not quite as thick as Id expect a huge alcohol dopple. Also it's reTARTed, soured, flawed and it sticks around with no apologies. Carb is quite up there to for something this big, or perhaps it's something else that's stinging my tounge.

The drinkability on this went down the drain. Sorry ain't gonna happen this time. It may bit a bit taboo for me to review an infected beer as this 'May' not be what the brewer intended, But if that's the case than this should not be in my hands right now. Infected beer should not be sold, or should be recalled in a way. If I don't review it than how will people know what's up with it.

I must concede across the board that this beer is without flaw. A friend turned me onto this beer for it's high alcohol volume (10.8%!), but it turns out to be much more incredible than I could have hoped. As a previous reviewer mentioned, there's no detection of alcohol in this drink at all! More than that, the taste is absolutely exceptional: a creamy smooth caramel flavor that tastes more like a soda than a beer. But then that high-ABV sweeps you off your feet!

It has a very slight burnt aftertaste which lingers for a long time. It leaves you wanting more. Then when you come back to it, the flavor explodes in your mouth again and... it's just an incredible flavor for a very low price ($8/6 pack). Granted, it's a microbrewery that I believe has not expanded out of Los Angeles, but if you get a chance I urge you to take it! This is the kind of beer people settle down on because again, it comes without flaw.

3.89/5  rDev +13.1%

Thanks to SanDiegoBeerLove for tossing one of these in a recent trade. I drank this one out of my Rose-Hulman pint glass. Pours a dark thin brown color with a short bubbly head. I know it is easy to describe some beers as a cola, but this looks so much like a coke. Bigger bubbles that rise quickly to the top with a semi-fizzy foam. The head dissipates quickly and leaves a small island of brown foam in the middle. Halfway through my beer, there is nothing left on the top. No lacing on this guy either.

Has a very nutty smell - also has the scotch caramel smell that you get on some dopplebocks. No alcohol is detected at all. Also has a light roasty malty characteristic.

Taken a bit off-guard as I took my first swig. A very thin mouthfeel with virtually no carbonation. I expected a fuller-bodied beer, but this doesn't even reach medium. The malts are there, but I was hoping they would be even more pronounced. Has a bit of the caramel-sweet taste and finishes with the nuttiness detected form the first whiff. Taste is gone very quickly, and extremely mild. I am blown away that this thing clocks in at nearly 11% ABV - not detectable at all.

The flavor of this guy is good, they have that down. However, it just doesn't have the malt profile that I expect from a top-notch dopplebock. I know they claim they pounded this guy with malts, but I think they could go even further. As it is, it is extremely drinkable. Seriously, there is ZERO alcohol detected and very low carbonation. At 10.8%, this beer goes down way too easily. Overall, a good brew.

Consumed on 1/30/2010

4.33/5  rDev +25.9%

A - is a rich dark brown. Like a dark roasted coffee. The head is tan which dissipates quickly. Yet leaving some lacing from both the head and beer around the glass.

S - well balanced scent of roasted malt and grain.

T - malts and nuts at first taste. Followed by a hit of coffee before a clean finish. While drinking this beer, I almost spit it out of my mouth, out of astonishment. When the owner of the brewery told me it was 10.80%!!! Where they put the extra 5 - 6% of ABV in the beer, that I could not taste. I have no idea!

M - smooth as an egg white :-P

D - drinkability is stupendous, yet dangerous. Since the taste of alcohol is almost invisible. A drinker of this would not know what hit them after a few of these bad boys.

All and all, this a great well rounded beer from brewers with a good cause. Your Budweiser friends would probably enjoy this with you. A good gateway beer for the masses.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Fireman's Brew Brunette Beer from Fireman's Brew, Inc.