Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen StoutGuinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 06-28-2003

Reviews: 179 | Ratings: 345
Reviews by Bisho:
4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Jet black appearance with a tan head that lingers with a lacing that sticks down the glass as you sip.

Smells similar to regular Guinness but with added Belgian esters and chocolate.

Taste is great with less of the regular Guinness smokiness and bordering on Belgian Strong Dark Ale thanks to the added weight (ABV). A hint of bitter dark chocolate at the finish.

Silky smooth mouthfeel and the taste hangs around long after it's gone. Yum!

I have gone back to this stout on many occassions and it tastes damn fine.
If only the regular stuff tasted this good!

4.16/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

11.2 brown bottle, sample from the brewery.

Grandiose head on top of a very dark brew, yeah ... this beer is showing off. Roasted grains, ripe dark fruit, light molasses, and a mild buttery tone on the nose. Soft roasty palate, a little buttery, dark brown sugar, and a suggestion of dark German bread and a very mild coffee on the palate. Modest hopping, warming alcohol, cooked dark fruit, and a toasty note in the middle. Finishes a little sweet, malty, and roasty. My third trip to Belgium in my mini bar was this lush beer, I talked to it and it talked back until I drifted off to sleep. Thanks guys for listing to me, while beer geeks would have loved this beer 10-15 years ago in the US I am happy to see this again ... please make this a yearly visit.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle served into a badass looking Guinness goblet (which I intend to steal *ahem* borrow in the future) in a bar in Ghent, Belgium. Reviewed from notes. On 15 June, 2011, I did a literal side by side analysis of Foreign Extra with Special export, and served into a Guinness pint glass.

A: 2.5 finger head [into a Guinness goblet; 5 finger head into a Guinness pint glass] of lovely tan colour, brilliant cream, and excellent thickness. Black colour, though probably technically an extremely dark ruby like other Guinness offerings. Nothing short of absolutely brilliant. Amazing retention, especially for the ABV. Side by side, this retains for a bit longer than the Foreign Extra, despite being higher ABV. Very impressive all around.

Sm: Light hops, caramel, and chocolate. Not as complex as the Foreign Extra stout but more subtle, a very respectable tradeoff. The smell of the foreign extra is just a hair better. There's more coffee in the Foreign Extra.

T: Chocolate, caramel. The coffee of Irish Guinness is missing. Some smokey rauchbier baconey notes are also prominent. Very dark roasted barley forms an amazing foundation. Trust me lads; I've had me fair share of Guinness, and this is way different - even from the foreign extra variant. Brilliant complexity and subtlety. Some warm alcohol is present. One of the best built beers I've ever had the delight of tasting. Balanced incredibly well. There are many fringe notes that are subtle but contributory; I wish I possessed the expertise to adequately describe them. Better than the Foreign Extra by as much as it can be at this high a level of quality; the three people I'm side-by-side-ing with agree with me. Less caramel than the foreign extra.

Mf: Very smooth, but perfectly dry. Brilliant. No stout I've ever had, except perhaps Mikkeller, has done a stout mouthfeel this well. How do you make a beer that's simultaneously dry and refreshing? Bravo, lads. Nothing short of incredible. Perfectly complements the flavours of the body.

Dr: I had this the same day I went to the Westvleteren brewery, and let me tell you: it's still fecking brilliant by comparison, lads. The best Guinness I've ever had, and I live in Ireland. Why we don't have this back home is beyond me. If you told me I could have one beer only for the rest o' me life, I assure you, this would be it.

A (4.43)

***
Impressions from the 2016 American release (as "Antwerpen Stout"):

Nails a great balance between dryness and wetness, chocolate and roast. Aptly medium-bodied with a classic export stout build that commits to roasted barley in traditional Guinness fashion.

I remembered it better, but it remains one of the style paragons - from one of the main breweries responsible for the style to begin with. Ludicrously drinkable for its 8% ABV, drinking more like a 4-5% ABV beer. A beer I'll continue to revisit, and easily one of Guinness' triumphs.

B / GOOD

4.01/5  rDev -4.3%

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Wow, this is an interesting Guinness brew. It has quite the history according to the bottle, it has been made since 1944 and has primarily been a beer for the Belgian market. This is its first release in the United States. If I were to have drank this beer without this history I would have sworn this was a new recipe made with Americans in mind. The reason for this is because this beer has a stout like presence but there is a hoppiness to the beer like a modern day American beer. The hop presence is not over the top, it is blended quite well.

This beer has a caramel, cocoa, toffee, vanilla, and definitely a flavor that I would describe as buttery. When the beer first hits your tongue it is creamy and the mouthfeel is thick. But at the same time the mouthfeel is slightly water as you swallow it. It's quite interesting. The flavor stays in your mouth for a long time after every sip. It just lingers on your tongue. There's this smokey toffee/caramel flavor that just stays around for a visit. The finish is quite dry and on the backend I can pickup a sort of lactose component (I've drank quite a few Lancaster Milk Stouts so I know what that tastes like). The alcohol is well hidden. I think the dryness of the beer hides the alcohol well. I'm not a big fan of dry beers so that aspect drops a few points for me, but I respect that they hid the alcohol taste. You can feel the warmth though.

I have to admit when I first took a sip I was in a bit of shock because it doesn't remind me of something Guinness would make. I was confused as to how much I liked it. I needed to drink more to fully take it in. I'm not a big stout drinker but I've had beers like Ten Fidy which gets rave reviews here . I would actually consider this beer similar to a Ten Fidy (an imperial stout) but the difference to me is that Ten Fidy violates your taste buds (wayyyy to much hop bitters, it makes my face turn inside out) while this beer accomplishes what Ten Fidy does without turning your face inside out. haha.

I'm glad I tried this beer. It's not something that I would drink all of the time, but I have to hand it to Guinness for bringing this to the US market. I know a ton of you will love this beer. This is a beer Guinness should be proud of for sure.

3.73/5  rDev -11%

Take your normal Guinness and put it on steroids. Darker. Thicker. Sweeter. Then make it only availible in Belgium and (where I found it) West Germany to torment beer drinkers everywhere else, and you have Guinness Special Export.

Coloring is almost completely black, with a strong tan head. Scent is pretty much identical to taste in every way, strong but not overpowering, dark fruits, coffee, chocolate. This beer is thick and creamy, to the point that it severely hurts the drinkability. Nice to sit down with one and relax, but this is by no means an every day sipper or a drink to get drunk sort of beer.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

33cl bottle.

Deep dark pour that borders on black with garnet highlights when held to the light. A half inch of tan foam leaves some spotty lacing as it falls. Aromas start out with clean roasted malts along with chocolate accents. There's a slight sour / lactic edge along with dark fruits and big molasses. Caramel and licorice hints work in as well with just a touch of coffee.

First sip brings dark roasted malts upfront leading into a mix of bold molasses and licorice flavors with toffee undertones. Dark fruits meander in and out as it flows down along with a coffee/cream flavor that's just a touch sour. Finishes off with a nice lingering malty roasted flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth...there's quite a bit more malt body here than in the standard Guinness we see in stores in the U.S. that is for sure. Good steady carbonation makes this one a treat. Overall, if this was the Guinness I could buy in the store here I'd be buying it quite a bit more often! Thanks to clvand0 for sending this one my way.

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

11.2oz bottle, no date. Pours transparent brownish black with a large sized tan head; lots of small carbonation bubbles. Smells of roasted malt, licorice, molasses, dark fruit, floral/earthy hops, and some cocoa. The taste follows exactly with roasted malt, licorice, molasses, dark fruit, hops, and some cocoa. Moderate sweetness and bitterness. Somewhat below average smell/taste intensity. Medium carbonation and lighter body; pretty drinkable. Overall, it's an interesting Export Stout with lots of licorice and molasses, but could use more intensity and body.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

My wonderful wife returned from Belgium with one little bottle of this fine product, bless her heart! "best before end of" dating (18/02/06) Pours the expected jet black with a long lasting dark tan head, leaves respectable lacing. Nose is loaded with cocoa and vanilla. Very smooth and tasty stout, that does a masterful job of hidding its 8%. Notes of pleanty of toasted/slightly burnt malts, vanilla, cocoa, cafe au lait. Mild and quite pleasant, I wish I had a few bombers of this instead of one 11.2 oz bottle...oh well, it was a pleasure to try this one.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

4.23/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.72/5  rDev -11.2%

Looks delicious, deep brown to black, really compact head, tight bubbles. Didn't like the aroma so much (oily, buttery mollasses. Fat toffee and roast, thick and rich. Very long roasty finish, quite bitter. Some mollases and raisins aswell, very thick mouthfeel. Beautiful rich, bitter chocolate finish. A beautifully rich stout.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

(Served in a nonic)

A- This beer has an opaque black body with tiny strands of bubbles gliding up the sides of the glass. There is a creamy oatmeal colored head that is thick and last for the full beer. There are register marks of foam on the glass with each sip.

S- The smell of fruity prunes turns into a smooth dark black malt smell with a light earthiness.

T- The dark black malt has an earthy note and a cream taste. There are some caramel malt notes that support the black malt. There is a faint roasted licorice note and a finish of black bitterness and a chalk note. The black roasted note lingers nicely after the finish.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a slight slippery texture. There is a soft spice of alcohol heat at the finish.

D- This beer has a great roasted black malt flavor with smooth quality and a nice bitterness. This is not a full bodied Guinness often enhanced with NO2 but a much lighter bodied but still full flavored Guinness. Very drinkable even at 8% ABV.

3.94/5  rDev -6%

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%

Big thanks to tprokop7 for sending this rare extra and finally knocking if off my wants list.

33cl. brown bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours pitch black with a large creamy mocha head with some pretty decent retention. Nice lacing throughout.

S: Lots of roasty aromas backed by some cream notes. There's a definite lactic smell throughout, close to a milk stout. Plenty of sweetness, maybe some vanilla.

T/M: Nicely roasted malts, not too bitter but nicely balanced. More of the somewhat big lactic notes. Pretty sweet with more of the vanilla. Has a pretty dry finish that kind of tastes like necco wafers. Light, milky, chocolately notes in the back that come out further as it warms. Body is medium with nicely smooth carbonation. A bit of alcohol comes out as it warms and adds a nice touch. If not at room temperature, you'd never guess this at 8%.

D: Pretty easily drinkable and 8% isn't much of a factor. Very glad I got to try this. Thanks Todd!

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Obtained this bottle from Belgium a year or so back and sampled on St. Patrick's Day as it seemed appropriate. The beer poured a nice black body with a thick tan fluffy head that receeds but still held up well. Poured into one of my favorite Guiness glasses purchased at the Guinness brewery 7 years ago. The nose was a very nice toasted malt quality, more than in the typical pint of Guiness that we usually drink. The taste was a pure malty sweet with chocolately notes as well. The beer was very smooth and had a nice thick body that was filling. Although I enjoy the typical Guinness, this very blows the regular away.

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Not being quite as big a Guinness fan as many others out there, I was happy to get my hands on this one (thanks to msubulldog25!). I'd heard this was a great one, and it is. I just wonder why the hell it's all but impossible to acquire west of the Atlantic?!

Pours out looking like a regular Guinness stout, with a creamy head and an opaque ruby-hued black.

Aroma is fruity, milky sweet, some chocolate, some cocoa, and something that reminds of a Scottish Ale (musty? peaty?).

A plethora of flavors arrive within the first few sips: smoke, burnt grains, figs, other dark fruits, dark chocolate, pumpernickel, coffee. The mouthfeel is frothy, foamy, tight and bubbly.

A joy to enjoy. It gives you lots to contemplate and grapple with in the flavor, where it counts most. The most impressive and enjoyable that I've had from the Guinness family. Bring it over here!

4.14/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - A super dark red beer with a good beige head, that unfortunately retracts to a small layer.

S - Coffee and dark chocolate. There is also some strange scent prickling my nose which I cannot bring home.

T - Again coffee and chocolate - a nice dry bitter beer.

M - Medium carbonation and a medium dry finish and thickness.

O - A good stout totally nothing wrong here.

3.73/5  rDev -11%

Thank you Abusmaster. Jet black with substantial off-white creamy head. Good malty and licorice and roasted barley aroma. Taste is dry and bitter, baker's chocolate, with diesel fuel and smoke at the end of the bottle. Easy creamy mouthfeel while you absord this dry stout, Certainly better than any Guinness I have had, far from the best stout.

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Guinness & Co. "Antwerpen Stout"
11.2 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, production coded but without freshness dating.
$3.49 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes: Another great label in the Brewers Project Series with a bit of an art deco look to its lettering, and gold highlights over its multiple blues. The pour looks grand, very much like any other bottled Guinness (the head is much lighter on the draught). The head retention is quite good, and the lacing even better. On to the aroma... buttery (I don't see that in the description on the label), nutty, and toffee-like with a very soft roastiness, and a bit of smokiness. It reminds me of roasted chestnuts. All of that continues into the flavor with the addition of a soft fruitiness that includes apple and a little bit of dark fruit, as well as some molasses and cocoa. It's medium bodied and crisp with a standard carbonation that helps cut through its richness in conjunction with its solid bitterness. The alcohol is fairly well veiled at the outset except for perhaps a little bit in the finish where a little bit of heat might seem appropriate amidst its lingering smokiness. As it warms though the heat begins to show a little more, but again, it's not particularly unwelcome in the mix. If it's true, as the label states, that this has been exported to Belgium for years I can understand why. It's interesting, intriguing, and ultimately satisfying. I see it as more of a sipper myself (who wants all that richness to go to waste by just swallowing it down quickly), but maybe that's just me. And although many will see the buttery diacetyl as a defect I've always been kind of fond of it, and now that it's less common, perhaps even more so. Certainly worth trying.

Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout from Guinness Ltd.