Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen StoutGuinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 06-28-2003

Reviews: 180 | Ratings: 352
3.98/5  rDev -5%

Part of my #1 beer per style series. Foreign export stout, #1 beer Jonh Martin Guinness SPECIAL EXPORT STOUT. Its cool how the label says special. How excited am I to have a few bottles of this beer? About an 8. Long time want, closing in on the goal.

Beer poured from a bottle into a Russian river goblet. Beer is brown, dark with a mocha head of small and medium bubbles, good sized head at that. Leaves a lot of lacing as the head falls away to a convex shape resting on the top of the glass. Carbonation moderate to low. Looks good.

Aroma is sweet, malty, yeasty, mild esters. Smells like a Belgian ale. Interesting. Mild roast.

Well this is the strongest variation of Guinness and it shows. Beer is light in body and dry on the finish. There are some late bitterness and roast with a midpalate of mild esters and some sweetness. The beer is absent up front and the midpalate is quickly eclipsed by the dryness. Its mildly alcoholic too, but oddly late in the palate. Its good though. I am enjoying it, but its not like any Guinness I've ever had.

3.99/5  rDev -4.8%

Now this I never expect to get a hold of. But after seeing it in a convenience store in Brussels, I knew I had one of my hardest finds.

APPEARANCE: Pours into an English style pub glass black in color with a 2-finger high light-tan head. The bubbles are both tight and loose and slowly dissipate to a full coating of foam with some spotty lacing dotting the glass.

SMELL: Not very aromatic at all, but the dark chocolate aroma I am getting are extremely rich. It's coupled with a slight smell of dry, acrid, black malt. That's about it though.

TASTE: My initial 2 word reaction to this beer is completely contradictory - flavorless and complex. It's got such a dry stout profile going on that it fails to deliver the rich robustness of a foreign extra stout. But the dry black malt flavor is so nice. It adds such depth and dimension to this beer that is found in no other. It really contributes most of the bitterness to this beer. Other than that, there's some raw cocoa and a hint of sweetness on the end. One thing I will say: I can tell it's a Guinness product.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium bodied with a slightly below average carbonation. No complaints here other than maybe it could've had a bit more body.

DRINKABILITY: I was on the fence here until I noticed it's listed at 8%. Holy crap, I never would've guessed! This does go down really nicely though a second bottle probably wouldn't be in order.

Wow, this is not what I was expecting, but it certainly was a nice surprise. All the different names for the different varieties of Guinness can get confusing, so I'd just call this "Guinness - The Good One"

3.99/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4

Nice lookin beer. Pitch black with a tan head that sticks around.
Understated aroma. Nice and chocolaty, with considerable sweetness, and maybe some figs, but not too pronounced.
It's full flavored, and full-bodied. Lots of chocolate and sweetness, with a nice roasted touch to it that could be, and for me should be, a larger part of the flavor profile. A little bitterness from the roast, and probably a little more from the hops, though I wasn't able to perceive any hop flavor in this one.
Full, rich mouthfeel. Not too thin for the style, not too big, just right.
A good big stout, though I wish there was some kind of slight hop flavor there, and I'm not one who generally likes super-hopped stouts.

Bottle courtesy of thewolf: Poured a deep black color stout with a huge light brown color head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of liquorice with some light roasted malt and some sweet malt notes. Taste is a mix between some light roasted malt with some notes of liquorice and medium sweet Belgian malt with what appears to be a Belgian type yeast. Medium full body with great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. A very well balance beer overall with a level of complexity greater then the regular version of Guinness available over here.

Poured into a 33cl La Trappe but Duvel style glass.
An almost black but dark brownish beer with an off-white head with good retention.

Strong stout aroma's in this one: roast, liquorice, dark chocolate and dark fruity sweetness.

Tastes of dark fruits followed by roastiness. Quite a good hop bitterness in here as well. I also get liquorice and other typical stout flavours. A bit complex and hard to describe prehaps but nicely drinkable and certainly very full flavoured.

A thick and creamy mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

Overal a good stout and the only stout sold at most supermarket chains in my country so that's a plus.

Review based on BJCP2008 guidelines (style 13D). Bottle 33 cl - Batch L4120. AROMA: sweet and vinous alcoholic like aroma with roasted and coffee notes. some dry grapes aromas. low non existent hop aromas. no diacetyl. APPEARANCE: deep brown color and opaque. nice large and moussy tanned head with good retention. TASTE: roasted grains dominate with some coffee and cacao notes. medium-high bitterness that lingers into the aftertaste with very low to none hop flavours. alcohol notes present with very low diacetyl. finishes somewhat dry. PALATE: m├ędium body with a velvety like texture. some warming impression present. moderate carbonation. OVERALL: a nice export stout with very pronounced roasted flavour, velvety texture and a bit on the dry side.

4.01/5  rDev -4.3%

A 33cl bottle poured into a standard shaker glass. Out of the fridge and allowed to warn up for at least 15 minutes. Shared with Deuane. The stout appears a dark and opaque brown color with about two fingers of creamy, lingering ecru foam. There is no evidence of this beer clocking in at 8% judging by the aroma and flavor. Notes of bittersweet chocolate, medium roasted coffee beans, caramel, a touch of vanilla, milk chocolate, pipe tobacco are all present. This stout falls somewhere between medium and full bodied with adequate carbonation. It's a shame this one is such a bitch to obtain because it's mighty drinkable.

4.01/5  rDev -4.3%

Ordered from an online "Belgium" "Shop" and arrived in 15 days. Pours an inky black that is impervious to light. Large frothy light tan head that laces down to a hefty little ring. Smells lightly of sweet roasted burnt malts and some vague hop bitterness. Mouth feel is light to medium with a minimal amount of silkiness to it. Nice roasted coffe notes on the tongue with a dry finish of chocolate and dark fruit. Aftertaste dwells on the roasted side. Hides the 8% pretty well. Would really like to try this out of a nitro tap or can, I think I just blew my own mind. Better than it's little brother. All in all it is a good beer, I'm glad I tried it, but I don't feel like I was missing out on much.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Wow, this is an interesting Guinness brew. It has quite the history according to the bottle, it has been made since 1944 and has primarily been a beer for the Belgian market. This is its first release in the United States. If I were to have drank this beer without this history I would have sworn this was a new recipe made with Americans in mind. The reason for this is because this beer has a stout like presence but there is a hoppiness to the beer like a modern day American beer. The hop presence is not over the top, it is blended quite well.

This beer has a caramel, cocoa, toffee, vanilla, and definitely a flavor that I would describe as buttery. When the beer first hits your tongue it is creamy and the mouthfeel is thick. But at the same time the mouthfeel is slightly water as you swallow it. It's quite interesting. The flavor stays in your mouth for a long time after every sip. It just lingers on your tongue. There's this smokey toffee/caramel flavor that just stays around for a visit. The finish is quite dry and on the backend I can pickup a sort of lactose component (I've drank quite a few Lancaster Milk Stouts so I know what that tastes like). The alcohol is well hidden. I think the dryness of the beer hides the alcohol well. I'm not a big fan of dry beers so that aspect drops a few points for me, but I respect that they hid the alcohol taste. You can feel the warmth though.

I have to admit when I first took a sip I was in a bit of shock because it doesn't remind me of something Guinness would make. I was confused as to how much I liked it. I needed to drink more to fully take it in. I'm not a big stout drinker but I've had beers like Ten Fidy which gets rave reviews here . I would actually consider this beer similar to a Ten Fidy (an imperial stout) but the difference to me is that Ten Fidy violates your taste buds (wayyyy to much hop bitters, it makes my face turn inside out) while this beer accomplishes what Ten Fidy does without turning your face inside out. haha.

I'm glad I tried this beer. It's not something that I would drink all of the time, but I have to hand it to Guinness for bringing this to the US market. I know a ton of you will love this beer. This is a beer Guinness should be proud of for sure.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Creamy and rich cascading and lathering head, easily making a solid three fingers or more. Light espresso but darker than tan in color, it has excellent capped retention and staying power. Body color is a dark rich walnut black, nearly midnight with just a faint touch of opaqueness under the head. Great looking stout.

Notes of cream and vanilla on the nose. A kind of carob like chocolate sense, and whoppers milk like candy. Slight fruity berry like esters match out as well. Quite solid if hints a little sharp acrid in places too strangely.

Very nice palate, with a hint of creamy mouthfeel but also a bit hinting quick and washing wet feel too. Balances a nice light roast but also soft malt body in the mid palate. Aftertaste has a bit of woody dryness, a hint of hop bitterness, and some interesting lingering charcoal like flavors as well. Stays away from being too sweet if hinting just perhaps a bit of banana in the mix.

A pretty nice enjoyable stout.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

I have been attempting to hunt this one down for quite a while now, and it always seems to be alluding me. I am not a fan of Guinness by any means, so the chance to try one that was so highly rated was a chance I had to take. The pour was very nice, a little bit more of a dark brown then your standard jet black pour, but still essentially opaque with a thick tan head that reached a height of easily over three inches. Really a very impressive looking stout with copious amounts of side glass lace and a very evenly distributed head of lace. Really very nice indeed.

The aroma was rich chocolate and roasted malts that were predominant here. Lots of lactose aromas and a touch of coffee were present as well, this was night and day from the version we get here. The flavor was really very nice. Not nearly as dry and bitter as I was expecting, this was much more of a sweet stout, with dark chocolate hints running throughout. There was a good deal of coffee notes, lots of lactose, deep roasted malts and a touch of sweet vanilla as well. As it warmed there was some nice dark fruit coming though in the finish, more then likely a good bit of yeast. The finish was very sweet, with a smooth creamy long lasting flavor. The body on this one was really full, and nicely carbonated, much different then the dry, bitter version I had been used to.

Overall, I thought this was fantastic. A far cry from the crappy version we get here. This was really a solid beer with a great flavor profile and a full body. I would love to have this again as it is truly deserving of its reputation and worth every penny.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: just like a regular Guinness Foreign but with more head; dark mahogany, almost opaque, tan head with nice lace effects

Aroma: roasty, coffee, grain, alcohol, slight maltiness, some caramel, soy sauce, cherries

Flavor: very full flavored roastiness is almost too bitter at first but then the substantial malt sweetness starts to be more evident with each sip; tangy, toasty, caramelly, the finish dry and bitter

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, spritzy carbonation, blooming alcohol warmth (a bit harsh in the throat), slightly astringent

Overall Impression: I heard tell of this exclusive version of Guiness about a year ago and now that I live in Belgium, I can finally taste it. Pretty good stuff. Definitely tastier than the original and more "worthwhile" to drink. Give one of these to the people who think dark beers are stronger and they'll think they're right!

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a Wicked Weed snifter. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a fully opaque black color with a 1/2 inch tan head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and some random splotches of bubbly surface foam. Resilient lacing leaves large clots behind.

S- Biscuity sweet malt character exhibits notes of brown sugar, molasses and caramel. Also a hint of coffee.

T- Roasty upfront with a slight metallic flavor mid-palate that's soon washed away by sweetness. Very drinkable for the ABV and there's some hop bitterness plus some bitterness from the roast to complement the sweetness.

M- Soft and slightly creamy with medium carbonation and a full body.

O- Quite good though I doubt I'd revisit it.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Jet black appearance with a tan head that lingers with a lacing that sticks down the glass as you sip.

Smells similar to regular Guinness but with added Belgian esters and chocolate.

Taste is great with less of the regular Guinness smokiness and bordering on Belgian Strong Dark Ale thanks to the added weight (ABV). A hint of bitter dark chocolate at the finish.

Silky smooth mouthfeel and the taste hangs around long after it's gone. Yum!

I have gone back to this stout on many occassions and it tastes damn fine.
If only the regular stuff tasted this good!

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown beer with thick pillowy mocha head. Good lacing and head retention. No perceivable effervescence.

Smell: Medium high intensity. Grainy notes, Chocolate, Coffee and some higher alcohols up front. Toffee and a bit of smokiness on the back.

Taste: High intensity. Black patent Roastiness, grainy, coffee, buttery, fusely and kind of a lactic twang aswell. Expected more depth to be honest.

Mouthfeel: Medium full bodied. Medium low to low carbonation. Medium bitterness. Long lasting smoky flavour. Well achieved.

Drinkability: Complex enough although it could use a bit of dark fruit complexity and more balanced roastiness. The alcohol is well hidden and makes this beer surprisingly easy to drink considering th ABV and harshness on the palate. Decent price quality ratio. Would have again although its not even the best Export Stout in Guinnesses catalog.

11.2oz bottle, thanks to my friend, Ken, for giving me a bottle to try
A - towering tan colored head holds incredible retention atop a black colored ale; heavy lacing sticks all the way down the glass
S - roasted barley, fresh french roast coffee, cream, earthy hops
T - roasted barley, dark chocolate, coffee, toffee, raisin, earthy hops, faint smoke and anise
M - fuller side of medium for body, creamy and smooth, finishing modestly bitter with a twang of familiar Guinness sourness; roast & char linger on the palate
O - very similar to Guinness Foreign Extra Stout - this one seems to be more roasty while FES seems to be more dark fruit. I'd love to have them side by side because both are very good. I'd drink this anytime.

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle

A- Black (or extremely dark brown) colour. Two finger, dense, very light brown head. Great retention at first, just a little ring after some sips. Loads of lacing on the glass

S- Quite weak, even after head has receded, but nice. Creamy chocolate aroma, with notes of nut and raisin. A light alcoholic note in the back. Maybe a hint of leafy hops as well. Overall this is much sweeter than expected

T- Very sweet as the aroma suggested. Rich, full chocolate taste, but really on the sweet side with a delicate caramel malt foundation to it. Nut, alcohol, maybe liquorice notes all blend very well and bring complexity. Finishes with a refreshing hint of bitterness. Not the slightest hint of roastiness

M- Medium body and just a hint of carbonation. Wonderfully delicate on both tongue and palate, but somehow still a dense, full creamy mouthfeel

O- Delicate and rich. Extremely drinkable but still nicely complex, perfectly balanced. Even quite refreshing, which is great to be found in a strong stout

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle provided by Goodbyeohio. I saved this one for a special occassion, and review #700 sounds good to me. Huge thanks, man. Best before 04/07/06.
Pitch black, with garnet accents. Looks slightly hazy, capped with a frothy mountain of craggy, tan foam. Large bubbled lace all over the glass, looking like dish soap. Smells like what I always thought Guinness, with it's reputation, should smell like. Images of grizzled coal miners with bristling beards, clutching black pints in a smoky pub. Sturdy, frowning and unwelcoming to strangers. Browned chocolate malt, coffee notes, with a distinct wooden floral english hop profile. Fairly clean otherwise, faint treacle and booze, the hops a bit soapy. The flavor opens with brown, semi-sweet chocolate, thinner than I'd expected, with hints of caramel, licorice and molasses. Not terribly sweet, more like a slightly bumped up version of your regular Guinness Extra Stout. A bit of ale fruitiness is chased by a woody, earthy, almost metallic hop bitterness. Malty bittersweetness in the finish, providing a semi-sweet, surprisingly bitter and dry finish. A touch of medicinal, aspirin-like phenols. The sweetness rallies hard with warmth, rich with coffee and chocolate maltiness. Strong coffee flavor in the finish, particularly as it warms. Excellent bitterness, quite dry, leaving my palate stripped down for the next sip. Fairly light bodied. Modest, small bubbled carbonation very much in the UK tradition. A light whiff of alcohol, brown plastic bottle style ethanol, in my sinuses with each sip.
A huge improvement on what I know as Guinness here in the states. I do enjoy the extra stout, but the nitro draught is nearly characterless. Very nice. Strong, unforgiving flavor, what I imagine Guinness should be like. I would have preferred a thicker body, but the dryness is quite nice. Much higher marks, easily a 5, on the mouthfeel if it felt as substantial as it tastes.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a dark brown/black with a tan head that lasts for quite some time. Very nice lacing.

Smells of dark roasted malt, blueberry and grape esters, and caramelized sugar. Tastes similar, with the roasted malt prevalent. Hints of coffee and chocolate, along with very slight hints of both hops and alcohol. Mouthfeel is fantastic. Very thick with an incredibly creamy head.

Really drinkable stout; it's a shame the normal Guinness is such a far cry from this.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a jet black color with a finger of tan head that persists nicely over top of the brew. Very opaque. Nose is big in dark fruits, light chocolate, creamyness. Good residual sweetness. Nice nose. Flavor is chocolate with a light infusion of fig. Very creamy tasting. Light bitterness hangs on the end. Tasty beer. Feel is Thick, smooth, almost silky, with a moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a good drink. Well balanced and proportioned. Very good feel. No hint of 8% anywhere.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Tried this beer for the first time last year in Belgium. It was being sold in a convenience store for 1 Euro each. More recently, I was surprised to be sitting in a bar in Milan last month and saw this offered. It was 7 Euros for the bottle, but I was on vacation, and a second chance to have this beer sounded good.
Best glass I could get from the bartender was a mug. Oh well. When poured into a glass, it looks like normal Guinness. The smell, also, has that really roasted, bitter scent. But the flavor is way different, in a much better way. It's so much flavorful than normal Guinness. Flavors of chocolate and coffee are everywhere. It has a creaminess and, at the same time, a smoothness that is remarkable. At no point do you think that you are drinking an 8% beer. It's a shame this beer is not available in the States. I guess that makes it more of a treat when you find it overseas.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into pub glass. Perisistent cream head and lace throughout the experience. Mostly opaque black in color.

Nose of roast and berries

Taste Is very creamy. This some kind of cream stout? Very subtle hop undertones, roasty, oaty.

Medium carb and full.

Like Pabst with Old Tankard, Guinness is a mega-import brand with some delicious secrets in the closet. For fans of all stout varieties and Dunkelale.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours jet black with a tan head. In the aroma, sweet roasted malt and a small bitterness. In the taste, roasted malts, a sweetness, a note of alcohol and a dry hop in the end. A bitter and medium to bigger bodied mouthfeel , with a dry chocolate roast in the aftertaste. It is like an imperial stout, or Guinness on steroids.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

It's an interesting aroma. A light hint of roast, some yeast fruitiness and just a wisp of diacetyl. The aroma is unfortunately weak.

Very dark brown-black colour with a massive, creamy tan head. Good head retention.

The flavour is good. The roast bitterness is smooth tempered by a rich, round malt body and a hint of alcohol. Some nice fruity esters come through. Just a hint of acidity that is the trademark of the Guinness brand and a light touch of diacetyl. Solid.

Medium body with moderately low carbonation. Simple, smooth and effective. Greamy and with a nicely dried out finish.

A great beer. The alcohol is well hidden in the flavour and works effectively to temper some of the flavours. The best Guinness product I've tried.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

This one poured a very dark brown, almost black brew with a medium sized, tan head.
The aroma is that of strong, black coffee (espresso), chocolat (fondant), roasted malts and some hints of yeast and alcohol.
The taste contains the same elements along with something woody, smoky. The taste was impressive and complex but the bitterness in this beer was a bit over the top for me, making it hard to thoroughly enjoy it.
The mouthfeel was good: big & smooth.

I enjoyed the Hercule Stout I had a week earlier more as it was sweeter than this one. This was still a nice and very intresting drink though. Either way, I haven't had many beers in this style (which is starting to grow on me) yet so I don't know what to look for in a stout and how to judge one properly.

Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout from Guinness Ltd.