Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...

Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen StoutGuinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout
4.12/5
Exceptional

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

This 8% abv stout has long been a secret pleasure among beer connoisseurs and indeed our Brewers, who value the mouth watering intensity of its roasted malt, smoked wood and dark chocolate notes, not to mention it's excellent and seemingly endless finish. Since 1944 we have been exclusively exporting this same special stout from Ireland into Belgium through the vibrant port of Antwerp. This is the first time we're making it available for general release in America.

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 06-28-2003

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

3.57/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

3.73/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark blackish brown, opaque. Thinnish tan head dissipates steadily leaving no lacing and a thin filmy slick on top of the beer. Smell has notes of malt, lactose, chocolate, and milk chocolate. Taste follows the nose. Flavor has notes of roasted malts, lactose, milk chocolate, and cocoa. Mild hop bitterness on the back end. Feel is thin for the style. Smooth with medium carbonation. Overall I didn't think this was anything special. Its just another variation on the same basic theme.

4.24/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Friends that share new beers with you are the best. Poured from an11.2 oz bottle into a wide mouthed glass. Intensely deep brown, but not quite black. Little to no head, could be the glass. Light brown lacing around the side of the glass. Aromas of smoke, sweet/dark chocolate, fig, raisin and a bit of molasses. Taste follows up the aroma with the addition of some coffee bitterness. The flavors hold through the tasting. Even lingering. Original tasting was near 45 degrees, I'd suggest letting it warm a bit more. Fantastic change for Guinness. Hope another friend shares.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Guinness & Co. "Antwerpen Stout"
11.2 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, production coded but without freshness dating.
$3.49 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes: Another great label in the Brewers Project Series with a bit of an art deco look to its lettering, and gold highlights over its multiple blues. The pour looks grand, very much like any other bottled Guinness (the head is much lighter on the draught). The head retention is quite good, and the lacing even better. On to the aroma... buttery (I don't see that in the description on the label), nutty, and toffee-like with a very soft roastiness, and a bit of smokiness. It reminds me of roasted chestnuts. All of that continues into the flavor with the addition of a soft fruitiness that includes apple and a little bit of dark fruit, as well as some molasses and cocoa. It's medium bodied and crisp with a standard carbonation that helps cut through its richness in conjunction with its solid bitterness. The alcohol is fairly well veiled at the outset except for perhaps a little bit in the finish where a little bit of heat might seem appropriate amidst its lingering smokiness. As it warms though the heat begins to show a little more, but again, it's not particularly unwelcome in the mix. If it's true, as the label states, that this has been exported to Belgium for years I can understand why. It's interesting, intriguing, and ultimately satisfying. I see it as more of a sipper myself (who wants all that richness to go to waste by just swallowing it down quickly), but maybe that's just me. And although many will see the buttery diacetyl as a defect I've always been kind of fond of it, and now that it's less common, perhaps even more so. Certainly worth trying.

4.19/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a custom pint glass: color is black, solid; head is tan with fine bubbles, presents about 1 inch thick - dissipates to a ring and solid top, minor lacing; color is just guinness solid black.

Smell is roast, light toffee, hints of cocoa, then more roast and light espresso with subtle grassy hops.

Taste is roast, roast and more roast - but not biting, bitter or burnt; then some light toffee, hints of cocoa and espresso; mild grassy hops interplay with the malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is crisp, moderate carbonation and dry; barely perceptible abv presence.

Overall a great brew and a bit smoother than foreign extra stout.

3.94/5  rDev -4.4%

3.5/5  rDev -15%

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.04/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.54/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into pub glass. Perisistent cream head and lace throughout the experience. Mostly opaque black in color.

Nose of roast and berries

Taste Is very creamy. This some kind of cream stout? Very subtle hop undertones, roasty, oaty.

Medium carb and full.

Like Pabst with Old Tankard, Guinness is a mega-import brand with some delicious secrets in the closet. For fans of all stout varieties and Dunkelale.

3.75/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a Wicked Weed snifter. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a fully opaque black color with a 1/2 inch tan head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and some random splotches of bubbly surface foam. Resilient lacing leaves large clots behind.

S- Biscuity sweet malt character exhibits notes of brown sugar, molasses and caramel. Also a hint of coffee.

T- Roasty upfront with a slight metallic flavor mid-palate that's soon washed away by sweetness. Very drinkable for the ABV and there's some hop bitterness plus some bitterness from the roast to complement the sweetness.

M- Soft and slightly creamy with medium carbonation and a full body.

O- Quite good though I doubt I'd revisit it.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Wow, this is an interesting Guinness brew. It has quite the history according to the bottle, it has been made since 1944 and has primarily been a beer for the Belgian market. This is its first release in the United States. If I were to have drank this beer without this history I would have sworn this was a new recipe made with Americans in mind. The reason for this is because this beer has a stout like presence but there is a hoppiness to the beer like a modern day American beer. The hop presence is not over the top, it is blended quite well.

This beer has a caramel, cocoa, toffee, vanilla, and definitely a flavor that I would describe as buttery. When the beer first hits your tongue it is creamy and the mouthfeel is thick. But at the same time the mouthfeel is slightly water as you swallow it. It's quite interesting. The flavor stays in your mouth for a long time after every sip. It just lingers on your tongue. There's this smokey toffee/caramel flavor that just stays around for a visit. The finish is quite dry and on the backend I can pickup a sort of lactose component (I've drank quite a few Lancaster Milk Stouts so I know what that tastes like). The alcohol is well hidden. I think the dryness of the beer hides the alcohol well. I'm not a big fan of dry beers so that aspect drops a few points for me, but I respect that they hid the alcohol taste. You can feel the warmth though.

I have to admit when I first took a sip I was in a bit of shock because it doesn't remind me of something Guinness would make. I was confused as to how much I liked it. I needed to drink more to fully take it in. I'm not a big stout drinker but I've had beers like Ten Fidy which gets rave reviews here . I would actually consider this beer similar to a Ten Fidy (an imperial stout) but the difference to me is that Ten Fidy violates your taste buds (wayyyy to much hop bitters, it makes my face turn inside out) while this beer accomplishes what Ten Fidy does without turning your face inside out. haha.

I'm glad I tried this beer. It's not something that I would drink all of the time, but I have to hand it to Guinness for bringing this to the US market. I know a ton of you will love this beer. This is a beer Guinness should be proud of for sure.

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

11.2oz bottle, thanks to my friend, Ken, for giving me a bottle to try
A - towering tan colored head holds incredible retention atop a black colored ale; heavy lacing sticks all the way down the glass
S - roasted barley, fresh french roast coffee, cream, earthy hops
T - roasted barley, dark chocolate, coffee, toffee, raisin, earthy hops, faint smoke and anise
M - fuller side of medium for body, creamy and smooth, finishing modestly bitter with a twang of familiar Guinness sourness; roast & char linger on the palate
O - very similar to Guinness Foreign Extra Stout - this one seems to be more roasty while FES seems to be more dark fruit. I'd love to have them side by side because both are very good. I'd drink this anytime.

3.99/5  rDev -3.2%

Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout from Guinness Ltd.