Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen StoutGuinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout
4.11/5
Exceptional

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

This 8% abv stout has long been a secret pleasure among beer connoisseurs and indeed our Brewers, who value the mouth watering intensity of its roasted malt, smoked wood and dark chocolate notes, not to mention it's excellent and seemingly endless finish. Since 1944 we have been exclusively exporting this same special stout from Ireland into Belgium through the vibrant port of Antwerp. This is the first time we're making it available for general release in America.

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 06-28-2003

View: Beers

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

L: Inky black pour. Two fingers of thick tannish head leaves respectable lacing.

S: Coffee and roast... dark sugars

T/F: Expected roast character... surprisingly sweet with dark fruit notes and hints of coffee and cocoa. Lots going on here and surprisingly complex. Mouthfeel is robust and thick... almost creamy. Leaves an off-sweet aftertaste... mellowed by some hopping.

O: Much better than I was expecting from a Guinness product, and tastes nothing like their flagship Irish Stout. On the sweet side, so this falls into the 'dessert beer' category for me but one I'd definitely drink again.

Review based on BJCP2008 guidelines (style 13D). Bottle 33 cl - Batch L4120. AROMA: sweet and vinous alcoholic like aroma with roasted and coffee notes. some dry grapes aromas. low non existent hop aromas. no diacetyl. APPEARANCE: deep brown color and opaque. nice large and moussy tanned head with good retention. TASTE: roasted grains dominate with some coffee and cacao notes. medium-high bitterness that lingers into the aftertaste with very low to none hop flavours. alcohol notes present with very low diacetyl. finishes somewhat dry. PALATE: m├ędium body with a velvety like texture. some warming impression present. moderate carbonation. OVERALL: a nice export stout with very pronounced roasted flavour, velvety texture and a bit on the dry side.

4.01/5  rDev -2.4%

Very excited to have this highly-rated "imperial" export stout by Guinness in my glass tonight! I've heard a lot about how this is pretty much the ur-example of the Foreign Extra Stout idea that Guinness popularized a couple centuries back. Guess we'll see how much truth there is to that kind of talk.

Pours a dark brown/mahogany color out of a brown glass bottle with Arthur Guinness' signature embossed on the neck. The beer that tumbled out of this bottle seemed almost exactly the same color as the bottle itself, interestingly enough. Builds up with a slightly khaki-leaning head of foam, measuring about three fingers at its apex. Fades down to about a single finger with solid legs and splotchy, inconsistent lace around the glass. Several sips leave a bit more flimsy foam, but it's lace nonetheless... beggars can't be choosers, after all. Nice deep brown color when held up to light. Pretty solid looking beer. Not as dark as expected, though. Perhaps the filtered approach feels off for such a beer.

Nose is heavy on deep fruity esters reminding of raisin and prune with some plum and red apple. Toasty caramel malt and some light notes of blackstrap molasses and cherrywood smoke enter the senses as the beer warms to room temperature. Light baker's chocolate and maybe some slight diacetyl or similar butterscotch-ish note (though it's very subtle and relegated to the background; wouldn't consider it a "fault" here by any means). Brown bread and more plum as I sip and return to the smell. Nice stuff. Comforting and rich with good character and balance. I get absolutely no hint of the 8% ABV, too, which is rather deviously done.

Flavor smacks of deep roasted barley, bready brown malts and strong raisin-like esters. Somewhat sweet and rum-like with more smokiness. More molasses and complex dark fruity notes kicking around the palate. Finish has some roast and hop bitterness... very earthy and a little bit herbal as well. Leafy and surprisingly resinous right before each sip closes out. Swallow has a little bit of ethanol, but still not enough to make me think 8%.

Feel is detailed and well-carbonated with a modestly-heavy body that nevertheless drinks like a beer under its stated weight-class. Not too much to say, but it's certainly adequately brewed and satisfying in its adherence to the classic Guinness extra stout mold with some slight changes; changes that I think many people would have trouble discerning in a blind tasting, mind you. Very subtle.

Overall, it's fairly similar profile to the regular Foreign Extra Stout, but with a little more brown/bready malt and less acrid roastiness, I think. A bit fruitier as well with more lingering esters. Sort of equal in quality, in my opinion, but for a different kind of palate. Makes sense this has always been specifically sent to Belgium, as I think it accurately reflects what I understand of the Belgian people's taste for beer (that is to say, not really a whole lot... I only know what they tend to brew and export to the US)... it's fruitier, slightly hoppier and stronger without feeling strong by any means.

4.01/5  rDev -2.4%

A 33cl bottle poured into a standard shaker glass. Out of the fridge and allowed to warn up for at least 15 minutes. Shared with Deuane. The stout appears a dark and opaque brown color with about two fingers of creamy, lingering ecru foam. There is no evidence of this beer clocking in at 8% judging by the aroma and flavor. Notes of bittersweet chocolate, medium roasted coffee beans, caramel, a touch of vanilla, milk chocolate, pipe tobacco are all present. This stout falls somewhere between medium and full bodied with adequate carbonation. It's a shame this one is such a bitch to obtain because it's mighty drinkable.

4.01/5  rDev -2.4%

Ordered from an online "Belgium" "Shop" and arrived in 15 days. Pours an inky black that is impervious to light. Large frothy light tan head that laces down to a hefty little ring. Smells lightly of sweet roasted burnt malts and some vague hop bitterness. Mouth feel is light to medium with a minimal amount of silkiness to it. Nice roasted coffe notes on the tongue with a dry finish of chocolate and dark fruit. Aftertaste dwells on the roasted side. Hides the 8% pretty well. Would really like to try this out of a nitro tap or can, I think I just blew my own mind. Better than it's little brother. All in all it is a good beer, I'm glad I tried it, but I don't feel like I was missing out on much.

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

Black with some garnet hues. Thick tan head that retained well.
Aroma of roasted grain, chocolate, and smoke.
Taste of sweet chocolate smoke/peat.
Smooth, easy drinking.

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Wow, this is an interesting Guinness brew. It has quite the history according to the bottle, it has been made since 1944 and has primarily been a beer for the Belgian market. This is its first release in the United States. If I were to have drank this beer without this history I would have sworn this was a new recipe made with Americans in mind. The reason for this is because this beer has a stout like presence but there is a hoppiness to the beer like a modern day American beer. The hop presence is not over the top, it is blended quite well.

This beer has a caramel, cocoa, toffee, vanilla, and definitely a flavor that I would describe as buttery. When the beer first hits your tongue it is creamy and the mouthfeel is thick. But at the same time the mouthfeel is slightly water as you swallow it. It's quite interesting. The flavor stays in your mouth for a long time after every sip. It just lingers on your tongue. There's this smokey toffee/caramel flavor that just stays around for a visit. The finish is quite dry and on the backend I can pickup a sort of lactose component (I've drank quite a few Lancaster Milk Stouts so I know what that tastes like). The alcohol is well hidden. I think the dryness of the beer hides the alcohol well. I'm not a big fan of dry beers so that aspect drops a few points for me, but I respect that they hid the alcohol taste. You can feel the warmth though.

I have to admit when I first took a sip I was in a bit of shock because it doesn't remind me of something Guinness would make. I was confused as to how much I liked it. I needed to drink more to fully take it in. I'm not a big stout drinker but I've had beers like Ten Fidy which gets rave reviews here . I would actually consider this beer similar to a Ten Fidy (an imperial stout) but the difference to me is that Ten Fidy violates your taste buds (wayyyy to much hop bitters, it makes my face turn inside out) while this beer accomplishes what Ten Fidy does without turning your face inside out. haha.

I'm glad I tried this beer. It's not something that I would drink all of the time, but I have to hand it to Guinness for bringing this to the US market. I know a ton of you will love this beer. This is a beer Guinness should be proud of for sure.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Creamy and rich cascading and lathering head, easily making a solid three fingers or more. Light espresso but darker than tan in color, it has excellent capped retention and staying power. Body color is a dark rich walnut black, nearly midnight with just a faint touch of opaqueness under the head. Great looking stout.

Notes of cream and vanilla on the nose. A kind of carob like chocolate sense, and whoppers milk like candy. Slight fruity berry like esters match out as well. Quite solid if hints a little sharp acrid in places too strangely.

Very nice palate, with a hint of creamy mouthfeel but also a bit hinting quick and washing wet feel too. Balances a nice light roast but also soft malt body in the mid palate. Aftertaste has a bit of woody dryness, a hint of hop bitterness, and some interesting lingering charcoal like flavors as well. Stays away from being too sweet if hinting just perhaps a bit of banana in the mix.

A pretty nice enjoyable stout.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

I have been attempting to hunt this one down for quite a while now, and it always seems to be alluding me. I am not a fan of Guinness by any means, so the chance to try one that was so highly rated was a chance I had to take. The pour was very nice, a little bit more of a dark brown then your standard jet black pour, but still essentially opaque with a thick tan head that reached a height of easily over three inches. Really a very impressive looking stout with copious amounts of side glass lace and a very evenly distributed head of lace. Really very nice indeed.

The aroma was rich chocolate and roasted malts that were predominant here. Lots of lactose aromas and a touch of coffee were present as well, this was night and day from the version we get here. The flavor was really very nice. Not nearly as dry and bitter as I was expecting, this was much more of a sweet stout, with dark chocolate hints running throughout. There was a good deal of coffee notes, lots of lactose, deep roasted malts and a touch of sweet vanilla as well. As it warmed there was some nice dark fruit coming though in the finish, more then likely a good bit of yeast. The finish was very sweet, with a smooth creamy long lasting flavor. The body on this one was really full, and nicely carbonated, much different then the dry, bitter version I had been used to.

Overall, I thought this was fantastic. A far cry from the crappy version we get here. This was really a solid beer with a great flavor profile and a full body. I would love to have this again as it is truly deserving of its reputation and worth every penny.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I am so glad I got the 200th anniversary 12er, this offering alone made it worth it...

A beautifully dark beer with the patented tan foam, high and tight. It had a touch of lacing with a head that had just a bit of staying power. The mouthfeel was more carbonated than I preferred to start with but it did feel creamier than when it warmed. The smell was a light blend of chocolate, coffee notes, and a hint of roasted malts - a very nice combo. Taste-wise I simply enjoyed this beer - distinct, yet not overwhelming chocolate, malt, and coffee flavors all blending well with the 8% ABV - special in my book. Certainly this was an exceptional offering out of their 12er for the 200th anniversary.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: just like a regular Guinness Foreign but with more head; dark mahogany, almost opaque, tan head with nice lace effects

Aroma: roasty, coffee, grain, alcohol, slight maltiness, some caramel, soy sauce, cherries

Flavor: very full flavored roastiness is almost too bitter at first but then the substantial malt sweetness starts to be more evident with each sip; tangy, toasty, caramelly, the finish dry and bitter

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, spritzy carbonation, blooming alcohol warmth (a bit harsh in the throat), slightly astringent

Overall Impression: I heard tell of this exclusive version of Guiness about a year ago and now that I live in Belgium, I can finally taste it. Pretty good stuff. Definitely tastier than the original and more "worthwhile" to drink. Give one of these to the people who think dark beers are stronger and they'll think they're right!

Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout from Guinness Ltd.