Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen StoutGuinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 06-28-2003

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
Reviews: 199 | Ratings: 400
4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into pub glass. Perisistent cream head and lace throughout the experience. Mostly opaque black in color.

Nose of roast and berries

Taste Is very creamy. This some kind of cream stout? Very subtle hop undertones, roasty, oaty.

Medium carb and full.

Like Pabst with Old Tankard, Guinness is a mega-import brand with some delicious secrets in the closet. For fans of all stout varieties and Dunkelale.

2.75/5  rDev -34.1%

Review: Bottle of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, 7.5%ABV

Comes in the well known dark bottle, Guinness Special Extra Stout is a beer with its own unique taste. Can I find the classic Guinness taste in this Foreign Extra version?

Pours the expected pitch black colour with a tan whitish head that didn't last too long, with little lacing.

A very strong aroma of dark cocoa, coffee and roasted malts. The smell is quite strong on the nose.

The taste was powerful. Now I know why in Africa they use the slogan "Guinness gives you power!" It was a very strong tasting stout, with a long bitter aftertaste, that had a bite to it. Overall a good strong stout, tasting of roasted malt with traces of coffee. As you would expect with a Guinness stout the flavours are complex and well balanced, making it one of the worlds richest tasting beers. Still not as good as a pint of the real black stuff beside the Liffey, Dublin town.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

This one poured a very dark brown, almost black brew with a medium sized, tan head.
The aroma is that of strong, black coffee (espresso), chocolat (fondant), roasted malts and some hints of yeast and alcohol.
The taste contains the same elements along with something woody, smoky. The taste was impressive and complex but the bitterness in this beer was a bit over the top for me, making it hard to thoroughly enjoy it.
The mouthfeel was good: big & smooth.

I enjoyed the Hercule Stout I had a week earlier more as it was sweeter than this one. This was still a nice and very intresting drink though. Either way, I haven't had many beers in this style (which is starting to grow on me) yet so I don't know what to look for in a stout and how to judge one properly.

4.64/5  rDev +11.3%

Wow, what an upgrade on the classic Guinness (and boy do I live the original).

Smells of liquorice and dried fruit, tastes similar with burnt ash and a hint of coffee and chocolate. Sweet and bitter balance is great.

A really really decent stout, with great color, surprisingly clean white foam.

A winner.

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Nice lookin beer. Pitch black with a tan head that sticks around.
Nice and chocolatey aroma, with considerable sweetness, and maybe some figs, but not too pronounced.
It's full flavored, and medium-bodied for the style. Lots of chocolate and sweetness, with a nice roasted touch to it that could be a larger part of the flavor profile. Nice bitterness from the roast, and probably a little more from the hops, though any hop flavor is subtle.
Full, rich mouthfeel. Not too thin for the style, not too big, just right. Somewhat acidic.
A good big stout.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Wow, this is an interesting Guinness brew. It has quite the history according to the bottle, it has been made since 1944 and has primarily been a beer for the Belgian market. This is its first release in the United States. If I were to have drank this beer without this history I would have sworn this was a new recipe made with Americans in mind. The reason for this is because this beer has a stout like presence but there is a hoppiness to the beer like a modern day American beer. The hop presence is not over the top, it is blended quite well.

This beer has a caramel, cocoa, toffee, vanilla, and definitely a flavor that I would describe as buttery. When the beer first hits your tongue it is creamy and the mouthfeel is thick. But at the same time the mouthfeel is slightly water as you swallow it. It's quite interesting. The flavor stays in your mouth for a long time after every sip. It just lingers on your tongue. There's this smokey toffee/caramel flavor that just stays around for a visit. The finish is quite dry and on the backend I can pickup a sort of lactose component (I've drank quite a few Lancaster Milk Stouts so I know what that tastes like). The alcohol is well hidden. I think the dryness of the beer hides the alcohol well. I'm not a big fan of dry beers so that aspect drops a few points for me, but I respect that they hid the alcohol taste. You can feel the warmth though.

I have to admit when I first took a sip I was in a bit of shock because it doesn't remind me of something Guinness would make. I was confused as to how much I liked it. I needed to drink more to fully take it in. I'm not a big stout drinker but I've had beers like Ten Fidy which gets rave reviews here . I would actually consider this beer similar to a Ten Fidy (an imperial stout) but the difference to me is that Ten Fidy violates your taste buds (wayyyy to much hop bitters, it makes my face turn inside out) while this beer accomplishes what Ten Fidy does without turning your face inside out. haha.

I'm glad I tried this beer. It's not something that I would drink all of the time, but I have to hand it to Guinness for bringing this to the US market. I know a ton of you will love this beer. This is a beer Guinness should be proud of for sure.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 11.2 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Look: Intense black coloration with a thick, tan 2.5 finger head. Excellent head retention.

Smell: Malts, dark fruit, and ends on a sourish wood smoke note.

Taste: Malts, licorice, and the classic Guinness roasted malts.Delicious,complex and very well balanced. 8% ABV is very well hidden, very faint alcohol heat on the swallow.

Feel: Creamy and smooth with a medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: I love this stuff. I bought a four pack and drank one , then bought another four pack. After just finishing my second one (total) I will probably go buy a case.

4.71/5  rDev +12.9%

Yet another brew from the Guinness family and again, a shame they all seem to bear the same name because this is a completely different brew from the rather bland liquid that most people know as Guinness.

A: Super black with a very stable tan head - sure the nitro kegged draught has a white 'n' tight head but this has a proper beer head with great stability and lacing and just looks like a proper beer rather than something designed by a marketing department.

S: Big smell of roasted malts and sour tang.

T: Roasty malts and sour tang. This is probably something very close to the true original taste of porters/stouts (the so-called "entire butt" beers) which were a blend of young and older, soured (almost lambic like) beers. An extremely complex combination of sweet malt, bitter hop and soured beer. One of the most complex tastes you will find. It's a shame that Guinness seem to have stopped using the soured essence in most of their beers, but at least it's still to be found here.

M: Gorgeous, big chewy mouthfeel.

D: Gimme more. I could keep drinking this one till I fall over. The taste is so well balanced between sweetness, bitterness and sourness that it never becomes tiring.

This is really an excellent beer. As outstanding as their pub draught is bland. It's so sad that this amazing beer is almost a footnote for the Guinness brand while the bland standard version is so lauded. Stock up before they stop making it!

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

300ml bottle.
Pours black with a small brown head, just as a stout should look.
Smell: Chocolate, caramel, malts, coffee and a little raisin. Quite sweet smelling.
Taste & mouthfeel: Full bodied and creamy with chocolate, malt and caramel goodness, a little sweet but not too sweet. It finishes dry and with a coffee or cocoa bitter and some roasted malts in the flavour. There are some notes of booziness and raisins throughout that tie it all together.

Overall: This is simply a very good stout, it is as a stout should be. It's not shocking or special or strange but it sets the bar for all other stouts.

4.67/5  rDev +12%

I had a chance to try this beer again while in Greece. The Foreign Extra Stout has become my favorite Guinness in the US so I wanted to have another taste of this guy to see who would win out. I would say no doubt that this is my favorite Guinness stout and rates high overall on the stouts I like. Even though not classified an Imperial stout, the alcohol content is high. It lacks the bitterness of a regular Guinness; it is almost sweet. Pours a dark black colour with no head. I don't know if it is served on tap anywhere but I would like to try it if it is.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

30 cl. bottle; served in Duvel tulip.
Black color; nice, creamy, tan head with good lastability.
Bitter, heavily roasted aroma. Impressive fullness and bite in a well-balanced bitter, dry taste that's nicely rounded and complex. The alcohol is impressively hidden and is noticeable primarily as a slowly warming sensation halfway into the glass. Assertive, long finish. Very nice, full mouthfeel. Highly drinkable.
A thoroughly impressive stout.

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Jet black appearance with a tan head that lingers with a lacing that sticks down the glass as you sip.

Smells similar to regular Guinness but with added Belgian esters and chocolate.

Taste is great with less of the regular Guinness smokiness and bordering on Belgian Strong Dark Ale thanks to the added weight (ABV). A hint of bitter dark chocolate at the finish.

Silky smooth mouthfeel and the taste hangs around long after it's gone. Yum!

I have gone back to this stout on many occassions and it tastes damn fine.
If only the regular stuff tasted this good!

4.42/5  rDev +6%

Appearance - Nutty brown, caramel, ruby colour. Poor head retention. light carbonation

Smell - Citrus fruit, vanilla, moderate hops, coffee, chocolate, mint, caramel

Taste - Good balance, robust carbonation. Coffee, mild chocolate, banana, moderate hops, blackberry, & blackcurrant flavor. Aftertaste is bitter with lingering coffee flavors & carbonation still tickling the tongue.

Mouthfeel - Smooth like velvet with robust carbonation.

Drinkability - Great beer if a little heavy. Close to an imperial stout. Great taste! High alcohol and heaviness on the stomach would make this a sipper and you couldn't have too many.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

BYOB brought this back for me from Kulminator on his recent trip to Europe.
Bottled in 1997, best before March 2nd, 2000. Today is January 15th, 2007.

Pours pitch black with a thick, creamy tan head that never goes away. Lacing is spotty.
Smells of molasses, alcohol, and dark chocolate.
Tastes of chocolate, raisins and alcohol upfront with a roast bitterness and coffee finish.
Mouthfeel was as smooth as velvet. Incredibly creamy.
A little too heavy to drink a lot of, but perfect for a hearty meal.
I was impressed with how well it held up over time.

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Friends that share new beers with you are the best. Poured from an11.2 oz bottle into a wide mouthed glass. Intensely deep brown, but not quite black. Little to no head, could be the glass. Light brown lacing around the side of the glass. Aromas of smoke, sweet/dark chocolate, fig, raisin and a bit of molasses. Taste follows up the aroma with the addition of some coffee bitterness. The flavors hold through the tasting. Even lingering. Original tasting was near 45 degrees, I'd suggest letting it warm a bit more. Fantastic change for Guinness. Hope another friend shares.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Pured from a bottle into a O'Hara's (Carlow Brewing Co.) pint glass. No snifters on hand, because I am studying abroad in Dublin.

Color: Wonderful dark (almost black color) with a huge 3 finger nut brown head.

Aroma: This is one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. Wonderful nut and chocolate notes, with some coffee, and a slight alcohol smell in the background

Taste: The taste is wonderful and I would have this all the time over the Foreign Extra if it was more available in Ireland or when I get back to the States. Following the smell, it had a rich chocolate taste with superb caramel and nut notes as well.

Finish: The finish is a light chocolate taste.

I must say I love this beer. I wish it was a little more popular so I could have it more often. The bottle was meant for Belgium as it was written in French, Dutch, then English. (comissioned there in 1912) I cannot get enough of this, hope to find it back home.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%

Take your normal Guinness and put it on steroids. Darker. Thicker. Sweeter. Then make it only availible in Belgium and (where I found it) West Germany to torment beer drinkers everywhere else, and you have Guinness Special Export.

Coloring is almost completely black, with a strong tan head. Scent is pretty much identical to taste in every way, strong but not overpowering, dark fruits, coffee, chocolate. This beer is thick and creamy, to the point that it severely hurts the drinkability. Nice to sit down with one and relax, but this is by no means an every day sipper or a drink to get drunk sort of beer.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer. Stronger, sweeter and a bit more bitter than Guinness West Indies Porter. But in my opinion less subtle and sophisticated. What I love about the West Indies is that it needs your nose to give depth to the flavor. West Indies smells divine. This Guinness special has a weaker smell, although it makes up with a bolder and somewhat fuller flavor, a bit Belgian styled.
The sweetness lingers a bit too long, the West indies is a bit dryer which I prefer.
But apart from that this really is a great beer.

3.77/5  rDev -9.6%

0.33l bottle, purchased and consumed in Brussels Belgium out of a chalice.

Deep dark/black with reddish mahogany visible at the very top edge. Not at all translucent. Thin tan head of small bubbles, quickly dissapates.

Smells of molasses, and barley.

Flavor has a residual molasses, slight bit of dark chocolate, and a bit of coffee. Hard to pin the overall flavor. Hops in a long lingering finish. More bitter than a Guinness.

Good full mouth feel, that hits the palette in waves. Seems a bit thin, especially considering the color, but not lacking.

Not a beer I would consider drinking more than one of. I suppose it would be good to fit a niche - like if I was dying for a beer but also really wanted a coffee, and it had to be at exactly the same time. Since I can't imagine when that would happen, I don't know that I would reach for it again, given the wealth of other options available.

Overall a good beer, but likely only to be purchased for visitors who can't find it in the US.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Purchased from Beer Temple in Brugge

Poured from a Bottle into a pint glass

Appearance - Dark black color with a thick medium brown colored head that lasted a long time.

Smell - Smells of coffee, roasted malt, chocolate and hops.

Taste - Chocolate, roasted malt, some spice and a stronger than normal amount of alcohol kick compaired to a normal Guinness. Has a heavy after taste of dark roasted malts.

Mouthfeel - Creamy mouth coating feel. I like how this one feels in my mouth. Just the right amount of carbonation for a stout. Very nice.

Drinkability - I wish all Guinness tasted like this. I would drink it more often if I could find this version here in the states.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

From a bottle, poured into a pint glass.

While visiting Belgium last year, I quickly got tired of the "Belgian beer" style, where while there's so many different types of beer, there's a similar underlying flavor in most. I discovered the Guinness in a corner store, and instantly fell in love. I brought home two bottles and they've been aging for 18 months. I was starting to get worried that, despite it being an 8%, it might not last much longer, so I treated myself, wondering if I really loved this beer or was just excited to find a new flavor in the land of Belgian greats.

As it's from a 'regular' bottle, the Belgian Guinness looks like a normal beer, no cascade. Pours pitch black with a tinge of reddish, shining a light through the glass, with a 1-inch, dark tan head, which quickly dissipates to a thin lacing in under a minute.

Scent - like a rich red wine, mellow booziness with hints of dark chocolate, coffee and raspberries.

Taste is as it smells, a little boozier and maltier than the American version, less on the dry hop finish, additional hints of flavor are anise and figs. Very sparse carbonation. Mouthfeel is thinner than expected, leaving a light coating on the tongue and a faint chocolate milk memory.

It's the perfect dessert beer, conjuring up ideas of pouring it over vanilla ice cream, baking it into brownies, and yet would also compliment the best juicy steak or burger (with onions, caramelized in the beer of course), or Jasper Hill's Bayley Hazen Blue cheese or Cabot's Clothbound Aged Cheddar (the ACS best in show!). It may very well be *the* cheese pairing beer, and I believe it could win over any red wine fan.

Yea, this is definitely still in my top 10, and held up perfectly over time. Now, how to replenish my stock?!

4.73/5  rDev +13.4%

This beer put Guinness back on my map for drinking. Period. Their Blonde American Lager was good and an awesome alternative to their long-standing Stout. I found it in a BevMo and immediately bought it. It tastes exactly like it says on the carrier. This is an awesome beer. Thank you Guinness.

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

looks like a classic guinness, depending how you pour it, a nice frothy slightly tan head..
the smell is roasty, creamy, slightly sour & alchoholy (might not be a word lol)
for me it taste pretty similar to the guinness extra stout, but seemed a little more bitter, and more roasty call my crazy but would prefer it a tad bit sweeter.
mouthfeel is again similar to classic guinness nice and creamy...overall its not bad, but with so many craft beers out there im not sure if i'd pick it up again.

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
Guinness Special Export Stout / Antwerpen Stout from Guinness Ltd.