Guinness The 1759 | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness The 1759Guinness The 1759

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 25 | Ratings: 125
4.46/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Found this at a local liq in the discount bin, came in a fancy box so figured it had to be good! Unfortunately Guinness is under appreciated in podunk Kansas so it didn't surprise me. I finally opened it up about a month later, after smelling the cork I knew I was in for something good. Great look and smell was the first thing I noticed. First sip reminded me of draught marrying an irish red! Hope to find this one again!

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Vintage 2014. Poured cold from 750 ml bottle into a Craft Beer Club sampling glass. Deep, dark amber color, with an eggshell-colored head of thick foam. Good head retention. Aromas and flavors as advertised: caramel, toffee, and butterscotch, a hint of peatiness, deliciously sweet. Flavors come alive as this warms toward room temperature, with some alcohol warmth as well. Creamy mouthfeel, with a finish toward the dry side. I was fortunate to have found this in a discount bin at the grocery store. An unexpected treasure, and one I'll probably never see again.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I sat on this for 2 years (it was a gift from my wife's boss, so no sticker shock for me), and I'm glad I did, because it really aged well, IMHO.

The pour yields a dark mahogany beer with a couple of fingers of medium-tan head. The aromas are my sweet spot: toffee, caramel, and butterscotch, with a wee bit (pun intended) of the peated whiskey.

The taste thankfully follows the aromas, and this beer is so smooth that, as you're gulping it down, you forget it's a 9% ABV beer, and you're glad you're sitting at home.

I think this is stellar, and wish I had another bottle to try in a couple more years.

4.84/5  rDev +26%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just got this on Christmas from my uncle who said he was handed it by his local bar owner a couple of days before. After doing some research I am guessing it has been sitting it that bar for awhile.

This thing pours as the darkest amber ale I have seen.

Smell is sweet and definitely smell some caramel.

Taste is great, very sweet for an amber.

Feels more like a porter or stout.

Very delicious beer and one of my favorites.

3.96/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: pours a dark brown color with a 1" head that slowly falls.

Smell: malt sweetness rises from the glass.

Taste: big roasted malt profile with some dark fruits and a mild bitterness. Alcohol is mildly noticeable.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Light crispness at the start, smoother at the finish. Long lasting roasted flavors.

Overall: a hearty amber with that guinness yeast flavor. Surprising to have a high alcohol beer from them. Good and warming on a cold day. This beer was cellared for a year or so and it is still good.

Smell is deep and rich, almost like a quad. Flavor brings a lot of sweet molasses and toasted grain, as well as some fruity phenols. A little overly sweet. Not what I was expecting, but thoroughly decent.

3.99/5  rDev +3.9%

From the bottle, it pours a very dark brown, almost black with a tan head. The head slowly diminishes to a thin layer. Scent is some caramel and malt. Taste is sweetish malt and, I agree, molasses. Yum!

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

750 mL corked bottled poured in a stemmed glass. This was a beer splurge since due to the price tag on this one.
Poured much darker than a typical amber ale.
You get a touch of the peat malt, but overall you get the malty, caramel notes.
It tasted pretty smooth, but had a bit higher expectations on this when they "fancy" it up in the packaging.
Still a darn good beer, and glad I splurged to try it.

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Nice blackish-deep brown color with tremendous head and lacing. Aroma is malty with touches of caramel. Taste is loaded with sweet malts, caramel and black strap molasses. Nice balance on this one, finishes clean and coats the mouth quite well

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a dark amber, with effervescent off-white head. Aroma of caramel, brown sugar, figs, and a hint of coffee is followed by flavors of the same. Medium-high carb. Overall, suggestive of an English Strong or even a Belgian Dubbel as far as complexity and overall flavor profile. A nice departure for Guinness.

4.21/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a murky unfiltered brown with just a smudge of light tan head that still leaves a little bit of small soapy lacing. The aroma comes into its own as it warms, displaying toffee, dark fruit, a bit of alcohol, and just a hint of smoke and earth. The taste starts with the smoke and mellows out into the dark fruits and the alcohol. You know the hops are there but just balance out the malts. There is a little tingle on the tongue but it is otherwise smooth throughout.
This is a big malty ale.

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I first have to thank my benefactor as this gift, so thanks Sparky. (And shared with him too!)
Attractive, semi-cloudy dark red Large full tan head that settles gradually.
Interesting that my first impression of aroma was "smells like Guinness". Now there is more going on, but I wonder if it's the yeast (Maybe?). Anyway, not a rich malt character but malt more. For a big beer is that it is surprisingly tight aroma.
Certainly has a European quality to it. Must be the yeast. I like the softness of the feel.
Clear alcohol flavor, but it blends nicely. Malt forward with some sweetness and more towards richness (but not too much). Subtle in its complexity. Quick hit in the gut of warmth. Soft dryness on the finish, but this is where the hops show in flavor (a little grass, herb) and a very mild bitterness. Hints of fruit (that increase as it opens up) and seems to give me some nuts., but also a soft spiciness (is that the whiskey malt?). Grows in complexity as warms and sits.
Nicely carbonated and dangerously easy to drink.
I'll be clear, nothing is worth this price, not even Darkness, but I definitely like this more than most others.

3.11/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a matte black bottle into a tasting glass.

3.25A: No head. Medium dark brownish beer.

3.5S: Sweet-dark fruit. Not as exceptional as anticipated.

3.5T: Hm. Well. Odd and unobtrusive in all ways. Stale sourdough bread yeast with a hint of the bright fruit in the nose.

3.25M: Appley-smooth-dead.

2.75O: Mediocre at a best. Look elsewhere for good beer.

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Kyle for sharing this at our regular bottle share. Very dark red hue with a one finger head which dissipates quickly. Dark fruits and malts on the nose. Taste is raisons, cranberries, figs, and prunes with slight smokiness. Unique brew and glad I was able to try it.

3.86/5  rDev +0.5%

I saw this on the counter at Big Bear a couple of times and resisted it based on the price, but gave in eventually - mostly because my wife and I met because of a Guinness. We enjoyed it, though I think it is a bit dark for an amber - held up to the light you could detect a hint of redness. Good mouthfeel and flavor, though the malty sweetness was right at the edge for me. I probably would buy it again if it were a little less expensive.

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Amber ale is a bit of a stretch here. Pours a very dark brown...looks black in light just a hint darker than sunlight. Loose off-tan bubbles fill about 2 fingers.

Aroma is about 65% malty sweetness and 30% whiskey-ish, with the rest being booze. Peaty and a hint of smoke.

Flavor is thin malt, yet nice richness. The whiskey and peat give it a bit of a bite. Kind of thins it out a touch. It's like a schwarzbier with whiskey. Would almost like to see this casked, but that would up the price even higher than it is...and it's too high now.

3.89/5  rDev +1.3%

I got the 1759 as a gift, so didn't experience the same sticker shock as others. It is quite pricey, and you expect both a unique and quality experience. I would say it ticks both boxes, though its uniqueness makes it hard to rate on a normal scale.

Poured at right above room temp. I loved the look of it right out of the bottle, but mostly because I love beers to be as dark and rich as possible. It says amber ale on the box but since I poured it in a dimly lit room it looked no different than most stouts, and even when looking at it in the light it was still quite dark and opaque, as dark as an amber will get. The head is nice and creamy, and there sure is a lot of it.

The smell didn't appear to be something special, there was certainly a note of the peat in there and it was distinct from most stouts. I will say that I don't have the best nose, but it didn't add much to the experience.

The 1759 doesn't disappoint when it comes to taking its tasters for a ride. I love Islay whiskies, so I was eager to feel what the Guinness guys could do with peat. The first wave of flavor is caramely with some creaminess, and the quality of the some of the normal malts is evident. Then, like an Islay scotch, the peat hits, although it's not as smoky as a scotch and you get more of the raw peaty flavor. Then it finishes with more of an even roastiness that interacts with the peat. It's certainly a unique taste, and one that might even repulse some, but I loved it.

The feel is warm and toasty, I don't recommend drinking it cold, as it might lose some of the effect. At the same time, it doesn't seem to offer anything particularly special, and letting it linger too long without another taste can make it lose its luster.

Overall, it's a unique brew that has a blend of tastes and notes that some might love and others might find off-putting. The peat might have worked better with more smokiness with a deep stout rather than an amber. It's not the best beer I've ever tasted but I doubt I will taste another quite like it for a while, at least.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Oneinchaway for sharing this one at Retsinis' tasting.

Pours a murky dark orange-brown with a foamy beige head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of smoked malt, peat, caramel, and toffee aromas. Taste is much the same with smoke, peat, caramel, and fruit flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of smoke bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and dry mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with solid smoke and caramel characteristics all around.

Serving type: bottle.

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

Appalling price, $35, clever bottle but not overly special compared to others I have. Now, to the beer - Malty sweet, there is a whiff of some of their regular stouts coming from it. Nice abv, strong carbonation at first, good lacing but the head does subside fairly quickly. I liked the beer, would love the beer at 1/3 the price. Bought two bottles, drank one but at this time I cannot detect any reason to set one aside to season so will share the other this week.

Would like to see other comments on this, one said "mish-mash of flavors" and I agree with that but will they come together over time or destroy the excitement of the contrasts? Any advice here?

Smoky, malty at first, snap of bitterness, then warming alcohol that is subdued but left with an almost sticky malty finish after a few breaths. As a further note, when the beer warms up it becomes more of a bitter aftertaste still covered with sweet malts. It is dark, red color comes thru when the glass is held to the light.

3.57/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750ml brown bottle with no freshness date.

Amber Ale? Pretty damn dark, chalk the color up as part of this old school recipe. Good head retention though. Sweet malty nose and flavor ... suggestions of creme brulee, taffy, brown bread, and dried grass. Modest hopping, mild toasted and roasted malt character ... nothing really pops, not even the 9% abv. Clean finish with a mild lingering malt sweetness.

Pretty good but I'm really not sure where this one is supposed to go though it just seems to clean if this is a recipe from 1759. Oh yeah ... where the hell is this peated malt whiskey malt, so faint it could probably be there but the roasted malt could have added a faint smokiness as well. Smelling it enough it is there but it lands flat on the palate. Higher price tag was probably not the best route. Regardless, interested into see more from Guinness.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Bottled 090914. Pours a dark brown (not Amber) color, with one finger of bubbly tan head that quickly faded to a thin film. Aroma was very weak, with just a hint of roasty malt and some faint spice notes. The taste was smoky, malty up front, with some dark fruit and candy sugar notes. It kinda reminded me of a smoky weak Belgian Dubbel. Mouthfeel was pretty smooth and silky, with just a slight bit of carbonation. Overall, this was kind of a mish-mash of different things going in several directions, not a bad beer, just not worth the big price.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

At McMullan's Irish pub in Vegas, when our server came around with this limited addition offering, and at $35 (remember: in a bar in Vegas) it didn't sound too unreasonable, so we tried it. I was expecting a stout, and I got a dark amber ale. It was very good overall, unfortunately I'd already had too many to write a full review... Hey it's Vegas! At least she didn't mark it up over retail (which is bad enough) and at least I got to keep the box and bottle, which is very nice.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Dark amber red color. Nice head. Smells almost like good single malt scotch. Like a very subtle peat smoke. Can also smell caramel, but a little burnt. The first taste is unusual for an an amber ale. I can definitely taste peat smoke, caramel, and a spice I couldn't identify . Almost allspice, but not quite. Mouth feel , excellent. I would make this my go to everyday beer if it was about 1/10th the price.

3.8/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L: Dark Amber color shows some variant of red when held up to a strong light source. Nice Lacey, light cocoa colored head but with poor head retention.
S: Alcohol evident in the nose with underlying malt notes.
T: Weird burnt candi sugar taste. Decent amount of residual sweetness without being too cloying.
F: Medium to high carbonation that follows down the throat.
O: Seems like a decent, average beer but surely not worth the price point.

4.26/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Great feel, good smell, nice color. Taste was good, not great. Felt of Sammy Smith and tasted slightly of a Bock. Nice bitterness, stayed with the mouth for an appropriate amount of time.

Guinness The 1759 from Guinness Ltd.