Guinness Nitro IPA | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Nitro IPAGuinness Nitro IPA
2.96/5
Guinness Nitro IPAGuinness Nitro IPA

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by Onemoresolo on 09-17-2015

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.9/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Everyone else is wrong.

Too many people here have rated this beer as if is were an American IPA, which it is not. It is still proudly Irish, which means that you should not expect the same strong hoppy bite that you would expect from a great American IPA such as a Laguinitas. It is subtle and well-balanced. The nitrogen creates the same silky smooth head that we enjoy so much from their flagship beer. Furthermore, that classic Guinness taste is not lost. They managed to delicately and accurately match a new style beer to their signature taste.

This beer is not a mere desperate attempt to stay relevant in a craft beer boom but rather a long-awaited addition to an enduring, time-honored ale.

1.98/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

A traumatic turd of a beer. I'm a little sad I've spent $7.77 on a sixer (shout out to Wal-Mart!).

Pours frothy nitro tan, quickly dissipates. Weird to nitro a beer from a brewery which is notoriously water-thin.

I hate their malt use and aroma. No hop bite even by english ipa standards.

1.64/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 1.75

I don't even know where to start with this beer. This is my first review ever, but I've been a beer connoisseur since my days as a rebellious teenager. Let me try to say this, without coming off as a prick, well wait I really honestly can't. Don't even waste your time or hard earned cash with this IPA. I can't even consider this an IPA, and I'm not even sure how Guinness is allowed to call it an IPA. Even better, how on earth did they screw this up so terribly?

Guinness was one of the first beers I'd ever drank. In fact I enjoy regular Guinness and extra stout from time to time. However, this is the epitome of the word suck. There is a faint piney smell and taste, but barley noticeable. I think I tasted a hint of fruitiness, but I couldn't find it after the first time. This beer is flat and creamy, but nothing short of flat. The Nitro did absolutely nothing to enhance the taste or experience. I really feel like Guinness dropped the ball with this one. I'm a huge fan of IPA's and nitrous stouts, however there is no happy marriage here. I think this beer could have been so much better in the correct hands, but Guinness is a big corporation, so they really don't care as much about the consumer, as long as they have their big selling originals.

Look, if you want a good IPA, go to Vermont and try Alchemist Focal Banger, or look for Fat Heads Head hunter, or come to Ohio and try Rhinegeist, or Jackie O's "Mystic Mama", or if you want a good cheap casual IPA just go to your local Kroger and pick up some Sierra Nevada.

Whatever you do, don't make the mistake that I did, and get Guinness Nitro IPA! You would have more fun with a 6 pack of Coors Light or Budweiser than GNIPA. Yuck!

Shame on you Guinness, you can do better than this....

1.9/5  rDev -35.8%

terrible!!! It's so bad that I decided to sign up on here just so I could vent. Drinking a can of Nitro IPA right now. It literally taste like a flat Coors Light. Zero hop flavor. Isn't an IPA supposed to be strongly hopped? So if flat and tasteless beer is your thing, go for it. If your normal, stay the hell away from this.

i do not hate guinness. i would gladly crush one at practically any given time. it is light, quenching, etc. i don't love it, but i would never turn one down. this nitro ipa. however is abysmal. one of the worst beers i've ever tasted, seriously. nothing about this beer makes sense. drain pour? absolutely. i don't know that i've ever even tasted a homebrew that was so out of whack. this beer is hilariously bad on every level.

2.27/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours a wash of creamy khaki foam that eventually settles into a dark amber color. Looks like your average nitro beer, which is to say it looks great. Aromas are barely there, if at all - it's faintly malty, I guess. Taste is extremely mellow and subdued, with some earthy, hoppy notes. This beer is creamy, like a nitro should be, yet thin and flat (like another reviewer mentioned, it's akin to drinking water and not an all an IPA). This is far and away the most uninteresting IPA I've ever had. I think the nitro does it a disservice because it really suppresses whatever flavor it has. Definitely not a fan and would not purchase again.

2.91/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3.5

This is not an ipa. This is an English bitter. No hop presence whatsoever. It does however have a nice biscuity maltiness. But yeah not an IPA. And I do like English ipas.

4.26/5  rDev +43.9%

This beer is EXCELLENT. I have never seen another nitro IPA but I guarantee there will be others to follow. It pours with the standard nitro cascade, has a good dark copper/mohogany color, a mild aroma and a really nice and BALANCED flavor. It has that awesome, irish red ale feel with a mix of some toasted and burttered bisciits. Mouth feel is perfect thanks to the nitro. Creamy with a nice thick head.

No. This isn't an explosion of hops that makes your eyes water and its doesn't taste like grape fruit juice. It tastes like a malty beer that has lots of hops in it. You know...like how a beer is SUPPOSED TO TASTE.

I'm so sick and tired of all the terrible "IPA" beers that either taste like my lawn or a giant yellow fruit no one likes. An IPA is SUPPOSED to taste like a beer. And this does. And I love beer. And I love this beer. If you only like beers that your friends hate then don't get this. If you like to drink beer that tastes like beer well then have at it and enjoy.

2.76/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

This is on the edge of offensive. These folks need to stick to what they are good at, and in have little patience for a gimmick like this at the end of the day. It's bad, not an IPA at all,man English pale at very best, just a gross drink. Darker copper colored and less if the nitro cascade than their stout has by a long shot, but still creamy looking. Smells and tastes woefully under hopped for something calling itself an IPA. Tastes like stale English crystal malt, even oxidized, with a soapy yeast that's too flavorful for an IPA too. It's a mess, and being well bubbly and rich and smooth in feel cannot redeem it, even though that might be it's best feature. There is left behind a yucky metal taste, and I still get nothing more than a moderate hop bitterness on the finish. Could freshness have been an issue here? Did anyone actually like this? I can see some BMC drinkers having a few, but this will never satisfy the lover of craft American Indus pale ale, not even close to it. Skip it.

1.46/5  rDev -50.7%

Irrespective of the style IPA, "British" or "West Coast," my understanding is that what makes an IPA an IPA is that is HEAVY on the hops. Traditionally, the Brits sent poor quality brews out to India that were highly infused with hops to act as a preservative. Like the harsh wines from Madeira they sent to the North American colonies, what had been intended as an attempt to pass off cheap goods on a captive market actually improved during the sea voyage and took on its own character for the better.

While the visual appearance and mouth feel of this brew is attractive and pleasing, like beauty, it is only "skin deep." I found the taste to be like bitter Michelob Ultra with a good head. I tasted virtually no hint of hops at all! I have consumed my share of bad brews during my 70 years and while serving in the USN, but this is the worst, WORST, in memory! Even though it was less than $10 & BOGO at Publix, I still feel like I overpaid. This was the first time I have ever willingly poured beer down the drain so I could recycle the cans!

The only kind of person I can imagine who would willingly finish and/or drink a second container of this stuff is someone who actually likes Michelob Ultra and wants to look cool by having a container that has both "Guinness" and "IPA" on it. This is truly awful stuff! MADD should give this to teens so they would never drink beer again!

4.16/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Guinness & Co. "Guinness Nitro IPA"
12 fl. oz. can, production coded but without freshness dating

Notes: Ahh, so there's actually a widget inside? Nice. Creamy, just slightly off-white head. Clear deep amber-brass body. Leafy, earthy, and mineralish nose backed by subtle fruit. More hops come through in the flavor, but this is certainly not an American IPA, no this is rather quite English in character. The listed hop varieties include Admiral, Celeia, Topaz, Challenger, and Cascade but I don't particularly get any of them, which is not a bad thing... the blend, in fact, is quite nice. The only thing that really stands out is that there's a suggestion of citrus, and some mint. Mainly it's about the malt, which is bready, grainy, mildly caramelish, and slightly nutty (perhaps there's some underlying diacetyl?). No, I take that back, it's actually about the combination of the malt and the hops, as well as the soft fruitiness and subtle mineral character of the yeast. It's not bitter at 44 IBUs given the full maltiness, and it's rather a nicely balanced full-flavored 'strong' ale at 5.8%. The malt and hops linger in the finish along with some yeasty fruitiness and an edge of flint-like mineral that lends dryness. I'll readily admit that I wasn't expecting much of this having recently tasted their "Blonde American Lager", but this is quite different. I'm impressed. It hasn't been a year since I've returned from England (Liverpool, specifically), and I could easily imagine finding this on tap at any number of pubs, and finding it more impressive than many of their other offerings as well!

2.01/5  rDev -32.1%

I was incredibly excited to get this, and incredibly disappointed to try this,
I got a 12oz that was poured nitro-style into a pint glass.

Look:Honestly the only positive part of this beer that I experienced was the look, I am absolutely infatuated with the look and pour of nitro beers. I love the beer raining down the edges of a glass, it's absolutely beautiful, this beer will probably sell due to the appearance in commercials alone.

Smell: The smell was dank and off putting for an IPA, malt characteristics come into play here more so than in the taste.

Taste: This honestly didn't taste like beer, it tasted slightly alcoholic hop and malt water. There was no presence or backbone of hops, and very few IPA characteristics.

Feel: It was FLAT. This is a nitro beer, you've got to be kidding me. A little creamy, once again, very disappointing.

Upon forcing myself to finish about half the glass I felt the need to pour this into my toilet, I'd rather have a real beer, and I had no desire to continue drinking this one.

Other:

This is a swing and a miss for me, maybe next time.
Not sure what drug Guinness was on when they made this, whatever it is, I want some.
2nd beer that I've poured down the toilet since I turned 21, one of the worst beers I've ever tried. Maybe I got a bad can?

4.88/5  rDev +64.9%

I dont know why this beer gets such a harsh rap. IPA snobs opinion really doesnt matter no offense, they like beers like Heady Topper (which is an absolutely phenomenal brew, dont get me wrong, I am from Vermont and have had plenty of Heady) and are comparing it to beers like this. In my opinion, you can't compare $12+ per 6er (in Heady Topper's case, 4 pack) IPA's to this. Its not a fair comparison. Compare this to more mainstream brews, like IPA's by Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, and New Belgium.

With that being said, this is one of my favorite beers. I absolutely love this beer. Its extremely easy to drink, its refreshing, I absolutely love the taste, I love the nitrogen infusion, its just an excellent beer. Is it a complex beer? No, not really. But is it a solid beer? Very. I could drink this, and have, regularly and not tire of it. Its at a good price, around $8 for a 6er, pours beautifully, and satisfies my craving for good beer at a decent price. So here's my ratings.

Look-5, pours a cloudy, bubbly tan from the nitrogen, as the bubbles rise and the nitrogen clears away it becomes a beautiful amber-copper color with a frothy, offwhite creamy heas that becomes a solid cap after about 10 minutes.

Smell-4.5, nothing outstanding, its not as strong smelling as other IPA's in its class but it still smells like an IPA, the nitrogen probably helps in toning it down.

Taste-5, its not gonna blow your socks off, its not super complex, its not extremely hoppy or citrusy, but it does have a good malty backbone thats supported by a nice little kick of citrus and floral hops, with a nice little bitterness at the end that evens it out, and it finishes oh so smooth and creamy thanks to the nitro ball.

Feel-5, Creamy and smooth, very refreshing and light, goes down very very good.

Overall-5, if your new to IPA's, I highly recommend this beer. If your like me and have had your fair share of IPA's and want something that tastes excellent, looks excellent, and goes down so smooth after a long day working in the sun on a roof, give this beer a shot. I was skeptical about trying this beer, but I am glad I did. Its uo there on the list for me.

(Now I gotta try Sam Adams Nitro IPA!!!)

3.59/5  rDev +21.3%

Guinness has done something intriguing. From a dark stout, to a ale blond; mix the two together and add some nitro. What you get is a blond milkshake with a glorious creamy head that is gorgeous to watch form.

T-the taste is on for your description. I believe everyone will have their own opinion. Mine, it is like the blond Guinness with a creamy hop.

S- smell, it smells a hint of hop but really lacking a smell.

L-look, it looks Amber, and a golden brown. It pours a sour dark orange.

F- feel, it feels so so smooth. It is much lighter than it appears.

Overall- Guinness is definitely on a adventure; I am ready for the ride!!

This beer isn't supposed to be "carbonated"
It's supposed to be like a traditional English cask ale (IPA) with the traditional nitro pour as if you're in the pub.
It's actually well hopped and full flavored for an English IPA.
Guinness nailed the style gives the pub cask ale taste and feel.
I don't think Americans will ever appreciate nitro or this style

5/5
Cheers.

2.77/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Can poured into glass

Massive ends white nitro foam head settles to a solid pencil thick layer over a brown, almost tea like liquid

Faint sweet aroma

Flat, taste is very faint, subtle, whiff of bitterness

Not impressed

2.67/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

1.82/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

This beer is a terrible mixed bag. The IPA flavor mixed with the creamy nitro texture was disgusting to myself and my three other friends who tried it too. I like a good IPA and a love a good creamy stout, but this beer is like a platypus mix of different character traits that don't add up into anything decent. Would not drink again, would not recommend to anybody. I think this beer alienates any type of beer drinker out there.

Terrible. Feels like a stout. Tastes like, I don't even know. I'm an IPA guy. This is NOT an IPA. I don't know what it is. But it's very much NOT an IPA. Just stop it, Guinness. Stop it right now!

I normally don't select IPA's because they mess with allergies and taste like tree bark. However I took a gamble on the Guinness Nitro IPA. Luis Ortega hit it out of the park with this IPA. A solid, smooth, and tasty IPA. I only have one recommendation; change the name too "Cream of the Hops."

1.3/5  rDev -56.1%

WOW! What a mess! Just awful. Pours like you would expect a nitrogen beer to pour.
Very dark for an IPA. Barely any nose, taste is very dull. A dull embarrassing brew.

3.3/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

An interesting concept, with poor execution.

Looks beautiful. Copper color with a thick creamy head. (The nitro at work)

Smells lovely all floral and pine and you anticipate more from it.

The taste. Hmmm.

Well, a mild hop bitterness and the nitro smoothness. Most certainly NOT what anyone expects from an India Pale Ale.

This beer would be completely acceptable if it were called Guinness "English Ale" or "Cream Ale" but completely NOT an IPA.

1.77/5  rDev -40.2%

I have to say this is one of the worst beers I had ever had. Upon pouring it smelt great. Once poured it was the typical awesome nitro effect of the tiny bubbles and it is so fun to watch the beer settle. The taste and feel caught me off guard. I was expecting to have a pretty decent IPA from a mainstream company. What I got was this just strange brew. It felt like I was drinking a typical Guinness Stout. It had the signature creamy Guinness feel. The taste was just an awkwardly week IPA taste. I struggled to finish this beer, and for probably the first time ever I had to dump about half of the glass out.

4.71/5  rDev +59.1%

I'm not a massive IPA fan. This beer right off the bat was enjoyable. Perhaps its the Nitrogen that gives this beer a taste and texture that I like. Like any other IPA its got a lot of hop flavor. Again the fact that I don't tend to like IPAs might be a part of why I like this beer.

4.29/5  rDev +44.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a beer. It is not a cold consommé of hops. It is excellent in draught or can. Looks good, tastes good, nice head, mildly frothy. Like cask ales. Which we have in the UK. You want to drink more than one of these, unlike the overhopped mouth puckering fluids that are called IPAs in the U.S. I wouldn't send any of those to the troops stationed in hot climates, which is what IPA is for.

Guinness Nitro IPA from Guinness Ltd.