Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale | Guinness Ltd.

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish AleSmithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Style: Irish Red Ale

Added by Mebuzzard on 04-01-2006

Reviews: 789 | Ratings: 2,673
4.36/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A great brew!

Appearance: Transparent amber with superior head and lace retention. Even during the glass rinse out following the imbibing, the head remained at the bottom of the glass and appeared to a lager beer when rehydrated

Nose: lightly nutty aroma

Taste: Delectable, full-body nutty flavor. Low bitterness. No residual taste.

Drink: Easy to consume

Mouth: Sensually rich feel.

4.34/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

11.2 oz. bottle poured into mug

L: red ... clear ... solid 3/4- to almost a full inch head of off-white/beige foam that is super sticky; keeps a half a skin and a nice thick collar; very little lacing but the pour and brew itself are lovely

S: sweet malt, dusty, toasted malt, very sweet toasted grain; slightly lour grain but just slight

T: malty sweet with a small earthy hop bite and a pinch of oak-wood flavor, not overly charred or burnt ... everything is mellow but there, especially the almost buttery malt sweetness; the malt tastes toasted at times, but not as toasted as it smells

F: fantastic ... perfect for my Americanized carbonation-loving planet ... crisp as a good lager with just enough ale heft for a perfect quaff

O: love it ... there's nothing here that's going to blow you over, but the blend of toasted malt sweetness with a bit of earthy hop character and some oak-wood flavor is a fantastic combination, and at 4.5% ABV, it's close to being a true session beer. i'll be mixing this in to my regular rotation often. a perfect drinker.

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

This is a beer that I didn't like at first, but every time I have a Smithwick's I like it more and more. If you like dark ales, try Smithwick's - you won't regret it. It has excellent head, and a smooth dark beer taste. I've never had it on tap, just bottle. Try pouring it into a glass, that's the way I like it best. Comparing it to something more common, I'd say Smithwick's is kind of like Killian's Irish Red. I'd put Smithwick's in my list of top ten favorite beers.

FYI - The W in Smithwick's is silent. For those of you who like sounding all intellectual and stuff.

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into pint glass.
A - Copperamber in color with foamy off-white head. Thin lacing on side of glass
S - Caramel malt and a bit of tea
T - Caramel malt, hint of roasted malt, good balance with the hops. A bit on the sweet side with a slight bite on the finish.
M - Light to medium with the right amount of carbonation. Very crisp on the finish.
D - This is probably my favorite session beer. It also makes a good 'gateway' beer for those who drink American macro lagers. It's not too complex but has enough flavor to keep me coming back for more.

4.32/5  rDev +24.1%

Aroma: Low malt with a toast/toffee aroma. No hop aroma as the style demands.

Apperance: Deep amber, great head formation and retention. Lacing dominates the glass.

Flavor: Mild toast with a slight carmel sweetness in the background. Very very low hop flavor and a very mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light body with a toasted feeling that rolls across the palate. The carmel imparts a slickness on the tounge,

Overall: Very easy drinking sessionable beer. A little low on the attenuation, would like just a little less sweet.

4.31/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Best on tap instead of bottled. Full flavor Irish ale. Sharp without being bitter, the barley rounds out as an amazing stand alone drinker. Brush up on your pub songs, and have a pint.

4.3/5  rDev +23.6%

A: Clear with a brown color. held to the light you will see reddish hues. White head stays throughout the beer with lacing marking every drink.

S: You won't get a lot of hops aroma with this beer. you will smell the malts

T: Very smooth beer. The toasty malts come through with a little carmel.

D: This is a very good session beer. It is an easy beer to drink not over-bearing. This beer has two different taste. There is one flavor when it is cold but if it sits awhile at room temperature you will have a little more flavor.

4.3/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured from bottle to pub glass. Dark reddish color with very little head. I was expecting a 'Killians' when I first picked this up and was unusually surprised. It was more on the verge of a stout than an Irish Red. Basically to summarize this beer, it is like a watered down version of a stout without the strong coffee flavors. I actually enjoyed this quite a bit, it is easy to drink but for the price ($8.99/six pack) I'll stick to a full bodied stout as to my personal preference, but wouldn't mind one of these every so often to mix it up, give it a try!

4.29/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just got a four pack of awesome Smithwick's glasses from http://www.e-celtic.com, so I grabbed a six pack and Im ready to review. Beer always seems to taste better when its in a perfect glass so I might be a little impartial.

Smithwicks has a perfect head when poured correctly with dark red brown body. Nice hoppy ale taste with no aftertaste. All in all goes down smooth and a great pick if you want a little taste of Ireland

4.28/5  rDev +23%

Overall a beer very worth trying. The bottom line up front: A light colored smoked Guinness Stout. This is a very rewarding beer. My wife picked it up for me while we were visiting her parents in the Villages, Florida, and obviously she has figured out that if the beer she looks for is one I have never had, buy it, and this was it. For some reason I cannot seem to find this one anywhere in Alabama.
I am a huge fan of Alaskan Smoked Porter or any Rauchbeer smoked kind of beer, and this is the first one I've been able to get semi-locally.

It has a nice brownish-reddish color, good lacing, and medium body mouthfeel. The taste is totally an Irish Ale with smoked malt overtones. It must be brewed with Irish ale style yeast, and the signature guinness sour stuff--I can taste it here for sure. But if you don't like the darkness of Guinness, this is one to try for sure. It is a lighter color, and possibly a lighter body than Guinness, but some great robust flavors too.

Drinkability: I could drink these all night, but the average yellow beer drinker may not be able to hold more than 2 or so before drinking yellow water again for alcohol instead of flavor.

4.26/5  rDev +22.4%

So I have never reviewed beer before but I love trying new beers I come across and go out of my way at times to seek out stores that carry beers I have never seen before. I'll be honest I have no idea what lacing is or how in the world a beers appearance affects how much I like a beer.

that said....

This was a great find. It starts off tasting similar to say a Killans Irish Red but then you get a taste of hops and sort of a nutty smooth almost creamy finish with a touch of bitterness. Smell was not anything special but the scent was deceiving.

Great beer I will definitely buy again.

4.26/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured in pint glass - mild malty aroma with hints of coffee, banana and smoke; perfectly clear rich mahogony color with an inch of creamy tan head, good retention and nice lacing; light-medium bodied and remarkably smooth and creamy with flavors of caramel, toasty malts and overall roastiness; light carbonation, creamy and gently bitter finish. Very drinkable nice tasting and nothing complicated. I can drink several at a sitting.

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

I tried it origionally at a bar and had to puchase some more. Alittle pricey however, $9 for a 6-pack in centeral Wisconsin. Pours with a great head and beautiful appearance. I have been told it is used to top off a true Irish Black and Tan of a glass of Guinness with Smithwick's added to the top. Sounds tastey to me!

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

Pours dark reddish brown tiny head.Taste mild bitter after taste.I think this glass would taste better if it was not served so cold. After the glass set and got just a little bit warmer it tasted more smooth.

4.24/5  rDev +21.8%

A- 1 1/2 finger light tan, off white colored head. Very good retention. Head lasted for quite a while, leaving a half finger length head. Light brown chocolate, somewhat reddish color. Carbonated bubbles rising from bottom. Lace is great showing thick lacing all the way through the drink.

S- Very subtle hoppy smell. Somewhat chocolatley smell.

T- Very rich taste that stays in your mouth for a while... This beer is absolutely amazing. This is my first experience with this beer and it tastes alot like Petes Wicked Ale. Every time I take a sip I smell a bit of chocolate, but the taste doesnt compliment this.... but that isnt a bad thing.

M- Great. Slight to no carbonation. Very light feeling with a full taste. Goes down easy and is easy on the stomach.

D- I can most certainly see myself drinking more than one of these in a sitting. This is one of my more favorite beers. Everything from the color to the lace, to the taste is beautiful.

4.23/5  rDev +21.6%

This was a pretty good brew. It was kind of red I guess but I thought it was a little more brown than red. It had a great head that stuck around for quite some time. It went down very smooth with a very mild bitterness. I think that is was a very good drink.

4.23/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Smithwick's is one of my over all favorite beers it has never let me down in taste, color, and or appearance. It's a beer i find my self drinking when i just want to relax and enjoy my night. A: Nutty brown always with a creamy head. S: Smells malty but nothing over bearing T: The Swithwick's does lack on the taste a little but in a good way beginning it tastes very malty then just as fast the malt goes away to finish with a small hint. Nothing is left on your tongue a over all great beer if you're out for awhile.

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

A very good beer with great taste. One of my favorites that I can drink a lot of with very good flavor.

You can taste the toasted malts with just a very small hint of citrus.

Has a nutty smell and very decent lacing. You can drink this straight from the bottle or great in a pint glass.

On-tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: deep copper with a thin wispy head

Nose: smooth malt and sweetness

Taste: sweet, malty, complex, slight molasses note, crisp and refreshing

I didn't think I would enjoy this as much as I did. This is a great beer to sit down and drink a few (a case).

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

A- Poured from a 12oz bottle and the beer had a nice two finger head, while left a lot of lace on the side of the glass. The beer is a dark copper color.

S- I got a nice sweet smell. A bit of caramel breaks through.

T- I have a little bit of bitterness with a little bit of smoke coming in. A very decent tasting beer.

M- Very smooth, seems a little bit complex.

D- I rate the drinkability very high.

This is a really good beer. Could become one of my favorites.

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a deep amber that appears brown with a two-finger off-white head with okay retention and good lacing.

S: Smells slightly roasted with strong yeast as well as dark fruit.

T: Slightly roasted malts turning immediately into a yeast taste with some fruit as well as caramel with a slightly bitter and dry finish. Interesting brew, if put in front of me I would now have guessed it were an Irish red.

Overall: Mouthfeel is about standard, nothing special. Drinkability is great for Smithwick's I could put down this one all day. Wonderful beer.

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

I'll cop to a slight bias: I love Irish Reds. I've had a lot of them. And, I really really liked this one. For me it sets the standard. I've had better, to be sure. I'm not saying this is "the best" Irish Red I've had. I am saying it is an excellent example of the genre; every brewer should strive to make theirs like this one.

Appearance: Amber red; laces well with a thick head

Smell: smells lightly roasted and slightly malty/bread-like mixed with a bit of honey or light fruity undertone

Taste: exactly what an Irish Red should taste like; full but clean and sharp with a fruity, slightly hoppy bite; it's not exactly a complex flavor, but you can distinctly taste the maltiness and hoppiness - it's like the marriage of chocolate and peanut butter - while distinct flavors, they meld together yet retain their distinctiveness

Mouthfeel: a quick hoppy/fruity hit which quickly turns into a finds it feet, runs around in your mouth for a minute or two and then disappears so you can enjoy the next sip

Drinkability: I wouldn't want to drink a whole six pack (but I would), but I'd definitely greatly appreciate 2 or 3 of them.

4.19/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Caramel and toffee in the aroma. Brown sugar as well as dark fruits. Minerally, somewhat cola like. Some clove, cream soda. No hop character.

Pours amber with some ruby highlights. Off-white/light tan head. Good retention, decent lacing.

Toffee, brown sugar, molasses upfront finishing with biscuits and toast. A hint of coffee. Some dark fruits. No hop flavor. Mineral character is present. Nice and dry.

Medium low carbonation with medium light body. Somewhat chalky mouthfeel.

Quite nice. Better than I remember, but I could just be more accepting of the style now.

4.17/5  rDev +19.8%

Has a nice ruby red color with rich and smooth head that recedes with a nice lace. Has a sweetness to the aroma, very smooth on the tongue with just the right amount of carbonation. An extremely easy drinking ale with tones of chocolate. Hop aroma is virtually none existence which is perfect for this style all malt.

4.17/5  rDev +19.8%

If I were to really simplify the taste it's if Guinness and Sierra Nevada had a baby. It's got a hoppy flavor, but not too strong so it probably won't turn off the average beer drinker. Also, it's got a bit of the sweetness (a bit of molasses I think, but could be wrong) that Guinness has with a rich fullness that I really look for in a beer of this caliber, perfect for the winter months. Great mouth feel, and the foam is just right not too airy. All and all it's a very good beer, and I would never turn one away, hell I'd probably even order one from a bar.

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale from Guinness Ltd.