Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale | Guinness Ltd.

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish AleSmithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Red Ale

Added by Mebuzzard on 04-01-2006

Ratings: 2,743 |  Reviews: 802
4.8/5  rDev +37.9%

Every person has their own taste. This is the absolute best beer I have ever had. The color was a darkish brown red with a perfect cream color head. The taste and flavor of this beer far exceeded what I expected and left me wanting more. It was a heavy beer to me which is my style but may not be agreed upon my others. Overall perfection here in my book. I wouldnt change a thing, but thats all just opinion.

4.8/5  rDev +37.9%

One of my favorites
Pours a nice mahogany color with a 1 finger off white head
Very light caramel smell
Nice light-to-medium mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation
Very nice semi-sweet malt taste with lingering hops at the end
Being able to find this almost everywhere (Meijers even has this in the cold section), pricing is right, makes this one of the best Irish Ales I've had.

4.74/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Super awesome beer it tasted like the sweat from a super model

4.72/5  rDev +35.6%

A - Dark red color and with out light it looks black with a 1 inch head on top.

S - a maulty smell that is intoxicating in its self.

T - Sweet with a stout type of after taste to it

M - Crisp and clean all through out your mouth

D - you can definalty sit down and and have a few of these with out getting sick of them

4.68/5  rDev +34.5%

I had this on tap at a local bar. I had never heard of this beer before trying it. Heard it was made by Guinness, and thought I might give it a try. Pours a reddish brown color. With about 2 finger length head that recedes quite quickly. Leaves a light lace on the glass. Hints of caramel, sweet with some smoothness, and light carbonation.
Goes down pretty good. All around good beer. I would take this over a Guinness Draught.

4.68/5  rDev +34.5%

I have to say, for the price I was extremely pleasantly surprised. The taste is balanced and smooth and vaguely reminds me of pumpernickel bread and coffee beans. The high level of malt gives it a lasting and satisfying thickness that lends itself to slow enjoyment.

Good:
For the price, the taste is exceptional.
A very thick brew with plenty of substance.
Alcohol is not very pronounced in this brew, which allows the subtlety of the malt and hops to come through and form a delicious blend of flavor.

Bad:
It could stand a little more flavor, possibly a pinch more hops.

Overall:

Really, for the price, you can't go wrong. It's a good beer, not perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than it's price tag would suggest.

4.66/5  rDev +33.9%

Found this beer by accident, was looking for a partner for a Black and Tan. Our local LCBO doesn't carry Bass Ale anymore so Smithwicks was suggested as an alternative. Now my beer of choice. Being of German descent i've always enjoyed German beers, Smithwicks is now 1rst choice

4.65/5  rDev +33.6%

First tried this beer on-tap back in '07 at The Recovery Room in Mineola, Long Island while attending nearby Hofstra. Been hooked since then, whether on-tap or from the bottle.

A-Has somewhat the look of Guinness, but lighter looking and more amber/reddish; very enticing.

S-Aroma not very pungent, but not too dull either. Moderate at best.

T-Exactly the way all Irish red ales should taste. Touches of caramel and malt. Has the characteristic of being heavy, like most ales, yet easy on the taste buds.

M-Again, caramel heavily present in the ale's aftertaste.

D-Bartender, keep 'em comin'!

Serving type-Either bottle or on-tap (though I lean more towards the on-tap variety)

4.6/5  rDev +32.2%

4.55/5  rDev +30.7%

Enjoyed on a Monday evening after work (01-19-09) with a group of friends.

A: Dark & clear. Red & brown with some carbonation. Little lacing. The head was small.

S: Malt & hops. A tad sour, as it should be.

T: Earthy, roasted malt. A dry & bitter, slighty hop finish.

M: Light body. Crisp, but carby.

D: I'm almost always excited to find Smithwick's on tap & will default to it unless there is a craft on tap I either like or haven't tried.

Ahh, Schmidt-icks...my old friend.

4.55/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Very dark amber brownish. Nice head with really good close retention. Light brown chocolate foam, somewhat reddish color, thick lacing and great cling

S: Roasted malt and some nut.

T: Very roasted malt flavor with smooth close. Smokiness at the end. More toasted flavors in the middle with a watery caramel character.

M: Pretty smooth, not quite what I would call creamy.

4.53/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draught pour in a branded glass in my local village pub. Appearance is a dark ruby-red with a creamy head, it smells fruity, hoppy and with hints of caramel. Taste is balanced, not too sweet or too bitter and feels great going down, not too heavy but also not too light with a light, not bitter, caramelly aftertaste. Overall his is one of my favorite beers and I do a "BlackSmith" when I want to transition to a heavier stout. Can drink this all evening.

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale from Guinness Ltd.