Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale | Guinness Ltd.

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish AleSmithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale

Style: Irish Red Ale

Added by Mebuzzard on 04-01-2006

Ratings: 2,763 |  Reviews: 806
3.03/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured darker than I remember in the bottle, though this could just have been because of the lighting at the pub. The bartender knew how to pour for a change, so it had a decent finger or two of head which quickly fell into a thin lacing.

Smell was light, same as I remember in the bottle. Roasted malt.

Taste was less complex than I remember. Light creamy roasted malts and somewhat nutty.

Thin mouthfeel, especially amplified by the temperature it was served at. Smooth, but thin. I managed to knock back about four or five pints before last call so I'd have to say that it is indeed a decent session beer, but nothing I'd order at a real beer bar.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A big “Thank you” goes out to Chris & Adam for providing this beer. 12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a copper-brown color with slight red tint. It has a thick, tan head which takes a while to fade and leaves a decent lace on the glass.

S: There’s a pleasant smell, but it isn’t too strong. It’s mostly a smell of malt, with some caramel and little bit of hops. I would have scored this category higher if the smell were a little stronger.

T: You can certainly taste the malt right away and all throughout as you drink it. You can also tell that there’s some hops bitterness trying to poke its way through. Caramel stays behind in a syrupy but mild after-taste.

M: Very smooth with a rich, medium body and light carbonation. It goes down very easy.

D: The smoothness and sweetness makes it very easy to drink. It’s one of those beers that you can pound away without realizing how much you’re drinking. I had tried this beer previously and remember the taste being too strong and too bitter, which made me hesitant to try it again and made me question the hype that I had heard about it, but I’m thinking it might have been skunked that first time. Overall, I think this is a very good beer and would certainly recommend it, especially if you’re looking to try this style for the first time.

4.28/5  rDev +24.1%

Overall a beer very worth trying. The bottom line up front: A light colored smoked Guinness Stout. This is a very rewarding beer. My wife picked it up for me while we were visiting her parents in the Villages, Florida, and obviously she has figured out that if the beer she looks for is one I have never had, buy it, and this was it. For some reason I cannot seem to find this one anywhere in Alabama.
I am a huge fan of Alaskan Smoked Porter or any Rauchbeer smoked kind of beer, and this is the first one I've been able to get semi-locally.

It has a nice brownish-reddish color, good lacing, and medium body mouthfeel. The taste is totally an Irish Ale with smoked malt overtones. It must be brewed with Irish ale style yeast, and the signature guinness sour stuff--I can taste it here for sure. But if you don't like the darkness of Guinness, this is one to try for sure. It is a lighter color, and possibly a lighter body than Guinness, but some great robust flavors too.

Drinkability: I could drink these all night, but the average yellow beer drinker may not be able to hold more than 2 or so before drinking yellow water again for alcohol instead of flavor.

3.97/5  rDev +15.1%

I could drink these all night. A nice beer with some flavor. I had my first one over a decade ago when I was 16 on my first trip over in IRL. I purchased it in a Pint can at a local grocery, for some reason I remember it tasting just a little bit differently then the ones now available in the U.S. I remember it tasting a little sweeter and less metalic, either way I am glad it's in the states, you could serve these to anyone and they wont complain. It's a happy medium between macros and micros.

I poured this into a conical pint, the beer has alot of carbonation, lots of bubbles creating a foamy tan head which disappears steadily over time. Color is a nice dark amber, smell is very mild aroma with hints of hops and roasted barley. The taste is mild, more of a teaser yet still has plenty of flavor. Mouthfeel is good, overall this is a nice beer that you could drink year round, it has a decent amount of flavor but wont overwhelm the taste buds, will go down smooth. and leave a nice lace on the sides of the glass.

3.36/5  rDev -2.6%

This beer pours a nice deep reddish-brown with a thin head that leaves quickly. The aroma is rather thin, but it smells sweet, roasted, with a touch of alcohol. The taste is also a little thin but it is nutty, and a little tart at the finish. Smooth throughout but not quite bold enough for me. It has a great mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation, not too thick. It is a beer you can drink all night if you are feeling like mild tasting beer.

3.36/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured to a brownish red, with thick white head that lasted long and then left very good lacing. Not a real strong aroma, but what was there was a nutty, almost brown ale nose. I enjopyed the flavor more than an American Brown Ale, although it was hard to pick out a distinctive flavor. Had a decent finish. Not a bad beer all and all.

4.4/5  rDev +27.5%

Container Volume: 335ml

Container type: Bottle

Head: Slight

Lace: Good

Color:
Reflected- Red
Transmitted- RubyRed

Aroma: Good

Mouthfeel: Medium

Palate: adjusts well

Comments: Sharp and crisp taste! Slightly too much carbonation taste for me (freshness of sample is in question). Medium body and mouthfeel. Better than I expected. Hint of Sweet-Black-Cherries.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- y
Sipping- y
Get my buzz on- y

4.2/5  rDev +21.7%

I'll cop to a slight bias: I love Irish Reds. I've had a lot of them. And, I really really liked this one. For me it sets the standard. I've had better, to be sure. I'm not saying this is "the best" Irish Red I've had. I am saying it is an excellent example of the genre; every brewer should strive to make theirs like this one.

Appearance: Amber red; laces well with a thick head

Smell: smells lightly roasted and slightly malty/bread-like mixed with a bit of honey or light fruity undertone

Taste: exactly what an Irish Red should taste like; full but clean and sharp with a fruity, slightly hoppy bite; it's not exactly a complex flavor, but you can distinctly taste the maltiness and hoppiness - it's like the marriage of chocolate and peanut butter - while distinct flavors, they meld together yet retain their distinctiveness

Mouthfeel: a quick hoppy/fruity hit which quickly turns into a finds it feet, runs around in your mouth for a minute or two and then disappears so you can enjoy the next sip

Drinkability: I wouldn't want to drink a whole six pack (but I would), but I'd definitely greatly appreciate 2 or 3 of them.

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not unlike Guinness which now owns Smithwick's, there are several versions - at least 5 to be sure:
- Irish draught with an original gravity of just 9 Plato
- export to Canada (Smithwick's Export) with an OG of 12 and 5% abv
- an Italian version at 13 Plato
- and a slightly bigger Italian version starting at 15 Plato (Kilkenny Strong)
- the bottled version that's now being sold in the US at 4.5% abv which is brewed by Guinness in Dublin.

The US version is dark with a rich mahogany color and deep amber highlights. The head is creamy and ivory in color. The head retention is quite good, and it leaves some very nice rings of lace about the glass.

The nose is limited, but a whiff of dull roasty malt and some delicate yeasty fruitiness can be discerned. It's clean, and that differs from the slightly buttery version that comes out of the abbey brewery in Kilkenny because it's different yeast. I much prefer the "English" character of the former.

It's light-medium bodied and remarkably smooth and creamy - note, this beer really needs to be enjoyed at, or just below, cellar temperature.

The flavor is a bit fuller than the nose implies with a nice combination of scortched caramel (it's not particularly sweet), lightly toasty malt, and dull roastiness. A thin thread of yeasty fruitiness floats about in there, and some earthy and leafy hop flavors give it ballast; as does the limited (@ 28 IBU's), but very firm, bitterness. A touch of toasty and nutty malt appears in the finish but immediately vanishes, followed by some more leafy hops and a dull, lingering bitterness.

It makes a great session ale, but there's really not much more going on. If I were out at the pub I'd have one or two of these and then switch up to Guinness. Some of the other versions, however, offer more character.

3.18/5  rDev -7.8%

Nice appearance, amber with a slight head. the aroma was slightly fruity and herbal, with a touch of malt. The flavor was mostly malt with some slight herbal hoppiness, a nice complement but not terribly brilliant or innovative. The mouthfeel had a rather large tannin quality, it was similar to drinking iced tea (but yeah it was really beer). A bit off, I think I'll pass next time.

3.83/5  rDev +11%

This is a good representation of what an Irish red ale should look and taste like. A: Deep auburn with med brown body,med carbonation with little to no head and light lacing S: Caramel malts with peat like undertones T: very mild maltiness with a little hoppiness on the back end for balance and a strong finish. M: medium mouthfeel with enough coverage and body to satisfy D: easily drinkable with session prospects quite high. Overall it was a good ale with repetitive samplings easily desirable. I was unable to tour the brewery while in Kilkenny last August and hope to return some day as this is a great Irish ale.

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz bown bottle

Smithwick's Irish ale was dark amber in color with a large light tan head. The head faded to a thin layer, but remained until the beer was gone, leaving a little lace behind. There was some sweet malt in the nose. The taste was fairly light, sweet malt upfront with a bitter finish. The body and carbonation were both on the light side. It would make a good session beer.

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%

I had this at Mickey's Irish Pub and Grill in Gladstone. Mickey's is a very standard bar and grill, but it's close to home and so far they have had a good crowd.

Poured into a tumbler pint glass. Standard American bar pour, so very little head. What head there was left an acceptable white ring around the edge. Color was a clear, dark reddish brown. Smell was a strait forward hop malt mix. Slightly bitter, slightly sweet. Taste added a bit of orange peel to the mix. Mouthfeel was clean and refreshing. Irish Reds are straight up session beers, and it's really hard to screw one up. In this session I had about 6 over about an hour time. Good times.

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%

I think Smithwicks is the more drinkable Guiness. I know some that swear by Guiness, but some of that is the "Irishness" of the drink (like it's cool to be Irish, you know?). But Smithwick's is good, especially on a fresh keg. Unfortunately, not everyone knows about it so a keg can sit at my drinking hole for awhile. On the other hand, when the bartender tells me the keg is new, I drink the stuff until I can't stand. Good taste, good to introduce to friends. Enjoy a pint.

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

Sampled on tap during a recent trip to southern Ireland.

Appearance: dark amber/brown body with a bubbly tan head that promptly fizzles away. Lacing is sticky and consistent.

Smell: mildly sweet and hoppy, notes of roasted malt.

Taste: smooth caramel malt flavour with traces of barley and a slightly bitter finish. Alcohol is almost untraceable - Smithwick's is 3.8% in Ireland - and the carbonation adds a sharp bite to the taste.

Mouthfeel: there's no head on this beer and the body is too carbonated, which makes for a pop-like mouthfeel. The dry aftertaste disappears quickly.

Drinkability: overall, a decent beer. Smithwick's is a lighter, more carbonated version of Kilkenny. Worth trying.

much like its sister beer, guiness, this beer isnt anything to write home about. it pours a copper color into a pint glass with a lot of head.

tastes sort of bitter, and has more of a pilsner feel (although its certainly not a pilsner) than that of an ale.

might make a good session beer.

3.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle poured into a pint glass. Copper red colouring with a low/medium carbonation. A fair-sized frothy head subsides quickly then flattens leaving a bit of lace. Smell is packed with sweet roasted caramel malt character, seems a bit on the cloying side. Slight fruitiness and an earthy backbone.

Taste has a bit more bitterness than I expected, which is nice, the roasted character comes through a lot more, and the sweetness, which still a bit cloying, is balanced by a nuttiness and astringent citric acidity. Hop presence is very pronounced. Quite a bit of bite on the tongue in this one, but not overcarbonated, not too watery either. All in all, a decent ale, and one I could tip back a few pints of on a night out.

2.88/5  rDev -16.5%

Originally reviewed March 21, 2005. On tap at the Irish Times Pub - Laurium, MI. Deep clear ruby pour with copious offwhite head and decent lacing. Strong rich malty aroma. Flavors of dry bread, yeast and light caramel malt. The strong dry oak and bitter finish kind of bother’s me, but is probably typical for the style. Leaves too much of a bitterish astringent aftertaste for me.

4.48/5  rDev +29.9%

My favorite beer to date.

A: Incredibly long lasting head with a dark copper brown body. Perfect.

S: Smell's a bit burned, but it also smells of roasted coffee yum!

T: Tastes a bit sweet with a strong hop pressence to balance it. With almost no aftertaste.

M: Not too bubbly at all, perfect.

D: Goes down smooth, finishes clean, fantastic.

I would reccomend this to anyone especially guiness fans. God it's so drinkable! Adios

3.89/5  rDev +12.8%

A: The beer pours a dark brown/red hue. A big, pillowy head sits on top and leaves some nice lacing on the glass as it recedes. It is a beautiful beer.

S: Damn reds, I never can decipher them. Um, it is very malty sweet with a hint of maple?

T: This beer has to beer pretty warm, otherwise it is to weak. I am talking as little as 20 minutes in the fridge if you want to get the most flavor out of it. It starts out with caramel sweet/smoothness. It gets a little sour in the middle with the carbonation and It ends with some hop dryness.

M: The mouthfeel is a little watery, just like the taste.

D: This beer is extremely drinkable. If I felt like It I could take down this six pack in a 1/2 hour.

A good brew for me since I have been away from reviewing for a while.

3.16/5  rDev -8.4%

Smithwick's pours a reddish brown with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. I'm just not getting much aroma at all. Taste has a caramel flavor. Not much to it, not a terribly exciting ale. Nothing to particularly recommend it. Inoffensive and uninteresting.

3.7/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have enjoyed Smithwick's over the years but it has been a while since my last taste. Things haven't changed - Smithwick's is as I remembered - a hearty ale that reminds you that there is , in a brewing world dominated by non-descript blandness, still an old standby to be had and appreciated..

2.84/5  rDev -17.7%

This pours a dark amber with a large white head and good lacing. The smell is light with only a small amount of malt detectable. The taste is thin with a real metalic undertone only some hops and malt were present. The m/f is light ,but the balance was off with the sweet malt clashing with the bitter hops. This really isn't a beer that I would try again unless it was free.

3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Drank this on tap several times in Ireland before they began to export to the U.S. Supprisingly drank many more of these than I did of the famed Guinness. Upon returning home I was infatuated with Irish Red Ales, and this one holds its own against all I've had.

A - Deep mahogany on pour. Frothy yet carbonated head. Better than most.

S - Average. Not much really.

T - Wonderful. Slightly carmalized. Alittle sweet in the beginging with a nice subtle hoppy bitterness on the finish.

M - Decent carbonation. Like goldilocks, not to much, not too little. Refreshing.

D - Highly drinkable. I just mowed the lawn and am on my third. Ultimate session beer.

Reccomended.

3.36/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured a rich mahogany/cedar clear color with an off-white head that subsided to about an inch. Not bad lacing. Color is the most impressive trait of this macro. Grainy/malty nose with a hint of carmel. Smooth taste, nothing overpowering. I like this one chilled to cover up some of the grainy-ness. Mouthfeel again good, but nothing overpowering. Good offering from Guinness for the macro/import Amercan crowd that's constantly looking for a fad. This is one of those fads, so I keep this on-hand for my import buddies.

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.45 out of 5 with 2,763 ratings