Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale | Guinness Ltd.

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish AleSmithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale
3.46/5
Okay
Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish AleSmithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Red Ale

Smithwick's is a clear beer with a rich ruby color and creamy head. Clean and delicate aroma with different individual notes: from the top fermentation by the Smithwick yeast come aromatic esters creating a fruity aroma. The Aroma Hops added late in the boil contribute clean fresh floral notes. Ale Malt contributes aroma hints of biscuit and caramel.
Refreshing and clean taste with a gentle balance of bitterness from the hops added early in the boil, sweet/malty notes from the ale malt, and hints of roast/coffee from the roasted barley.

Added by Mebuzzard on 04-01-2006

Ratings: 2,997 |  Reviews: 846
3.65/5  rDev +5.5%

My brother-in-law is finally buying good beers to have around for company to drink (he still thinks Heineken is an outstanding import and regularly drinks Corona- with lime- or Canadian/ Blue/ Kokanee).
Thus it was that he offered me a Smithwick's Irish Ale this weekend and I gladly accepted it.
Like other reporters here, I have seen these cans around town many times but never bothered to try them. Espcecially when a world-class Irish Ale from Big Rock Breweries is sitting in bottles right next to these. But, I digress.
The beer was poured into a Foster's pint glass, stolen from some pub somewhere, no doubt, but again I was grateful.

It had a nice dark color with reddish tones, not a lot of head and that dissipated pretty quickly. The first sip was all malt up front but the slight bitterness and hop flavor followed and it finished slightly sweet.
A very decent effort (I do dislike cans, though) and worth having again, if he's buying.
If I'm buying, I'll stick to the McNally's Irish Ale from Big Rock...

2.78/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

3.5 A ruddy brownish amber. not much head but nice rings of lacing
3 S citrusy but not grapefruity. some sort of indistinct citrus. maybe a bit of pine
2.5 T not very crisp. that vague citrus taste and some bitterness as aftertaste. something coppery in the taste, something a bit dulling. becomes a bit too boring. tangy, but not crisp enough. astringency sort of like teabags.
3.5 M enough carbonation, nothing offensive
2.5 D 2 pints without much problem, but would not consider a 3rd. resulted in headache and lousy overall feeling.

3.93/5  rDev +13.6%

I kept putting this beer off, first impressed by Guinness, but then, this stuff was everwhere, so I kinda backed-up at the mass appeal.

Pours a good looking dark reddish, slightly brown. Nice full off-white to tan head. Lace abounds all glass long, very nice.

Aroma is malted, sour bread, biscuit dough.

Taste is malts, slight toasted, yeast hint with a toach of caramel.

Mouth is good, malted sweetness, alittle thin on body.
The slight wateryness aids the drinkability and the mass appeal. I see why, an ok red. It would be a preferance over a Killian, if I want my true red from Ireland.

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a twelve oz. bottle into a cool-looking retro Guinness pint glass.

A- Huge, huge frothy, off white head (like 3 fingers). At first I thought I maybe I made a bad pour, but even on the second bottle, this ended up with a gigantic head. Lacing left all over the glass. Pours a dark reddish/brownish color.

S- Smell is of bread, and a slight bit of hops, but also very metallic. The metallic smell is the most predominant and almost ruins the nose in my opinion.

T- Very malty, but well balanced by a small amount of hops. The metallic smell is not nearly as noticeable in the taste (thankfully). Bready taste lingers on the palate. Pretty good. I've never gotten into Irish Reds too much, but this is one I might buy again.

M- Too much carbonation makes this one a little less smooth than I would have liked. Otherwise, not terrible.

D- Average when it comes to drinkability. I don't know if I could have a ton of these without getting sick of them.

4.06/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a good, refreshing Red

A- A bit too transparent, but the head on this is beauuutiful. Thick and frothy it leaves a great lacing, off-white caramel. Garnet color

S- Reminds me of an english pale ale, with that hard water smell.

T- Taste is malty and biscuity. Decent

M- Feel is medium-bodied and refreshing

D- Drinks real well for a Red

3.48/5  rDev +0.6%

4/8/2005. Tried this on a suggestion by a worker at this beer store (I was looking for something new to try). I'm glad I did. Pours an amber body with a nice thick off-white head and quite a bit of lacing on the glass. Aroma is mild malty with hints of chocolate and coffee in there. Slightly sweet tasting with a mix of roasted malts and a mild hop flavor. Only negative I can think of is it could use a little more to it, mouthfeel may be a little thin and could use the kick. I would have no problems drinking this again though.

4.07/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours with a nice thick frothy head. Very dark color, with a hint of red. Very clear. The smell is nothing special, light, fruity-malty with little to no hops. Nice creamy texture, with a tad more carbonation than I'd like, but it finishes very nicely. On the palate, there's a nice dark roasty flavour coming through, grainy and deep. Like toast. It carries a bit of hops with it as well that become more apparent in a few seconds, blending nicely with the nutty toasty flavours. It doesn't carry the same 'weight' that you'd normally associate with such a dark ale, and I think I could probably spend a whole evening putting these down.

4.26/5  rDev +23.1%

So I have never reviewed beer before but I love trying new beers I come across and go out of my way at times to seek out stores that carry beers I have never seen before. I'll be honest I have no idea what lacing is or how in the world a beers appearance affects how much I like a beer.

that said....

This was a great find. It starts off tasting similar to say a Killans Irish Red but then you get a taste of hops and sort of a nutty smooth almost creamy finish with a touch of bitterness. Smell was not anything special but the scent was deceiving.

Great beer I will definitely buy again.

3.26/5  rDev -5.8%

I have had Smithwick's several times on tap. While it tasted better, I don't remember a big head or lacing.

The bottled version looks good. Clear light amber color. Big head, good retention and heavy lacing. Mild malty aroma. Pleasant but mild bready, malty taste with a hint of bitterness in the finish.
Mouthfeel is about average - crisp, not too watery and no unpleasant aftertaste.

Drinkability is pretty good either with food or as a session beer.

4.47/5  rDev +29.2%

Served at between fridge and cellar temperature in a Stella glass. Paired with grilled salmon for dinner.

Appearance- Pours the traditional color for this style... burnt red with a hint of brown, supporting a sudsy two finger head. Fantastic retention, and wide rings of lacing drape the interior of the glass.

Smell- Starting with the water, the foundation of brisk, clean ingredients is laid. Wonderful bright, lightly roasted malts tease the nose with a bready, delightful aroma. There's a perfumy sweetness that adds another layer to appreciate and savor.

Taste- Wow, very nice! As with the smell, there's plenty to enjoy here. Malty and biscuity, the crisp flavors melt on the tongue and concede to a drying bitterness. The aftertaste is a summary of all of the above, with no flaws.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Slick and substantially effervescent, with enough action to lift food off the palate and accentuate the terrific balance of all ingredients. It never gets dull, and the beer only gets better as it comes to temperature. A totally unexpected winner for me, and it's available everywhere.

3.38/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Copper/amber color with a slight choppy off-white head that lasted fairly well into the pint.

Smell is some bread and malt, a little sweetness. Nothing distinctive.

Moderately balanced caramel and dry grain flavors with some bready sweetness and malt. All a bit subdued. This is not a strong-flavored beer (meaning over the top in your face distinctiveness).

Some carbonation and sweet in the finish.

These go back pretty easy. This one is much much better on tap. Good middle of the road brew, decent session sipper.

3.42/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a deep with a decent off white head. Nose was sweet, mild roasted malts, faint hops. Taste was slightly grassy hops, malts are sweet but a bit Creamy mouthfeel quickly thins out with a more astringent than bitter character. Nothing special but certainly drinkable.

3.61/5  rDev +4.3%

Had on tap in a pint glass

A-Very clean clear copper color one finger head with a little lacing but not much.

S&T-There is a dgree of sweetness in the nose and taste of this beer that i cannot put my finger on maybe carmel or something close to it, notes of hops as well as malt in the middle and a good bitter finish.

M&D-Medium to light body with a little to much carbonation not to bad though overall a pretty good session i could drink a few in a setting.

3.15/5  rDev -9%

A- burnt sienna color with a rocky beige head and some lace.

S- toasted bread and burnt caramel and a little bit of earthy english hops.

T- toasted caramel and a little chocolatey, woodsy, nutty, and a mild hoppy finish.

MF- rather thin bodied with medium carbonation, overall it felt watery.

D- easy enough to drink. i remember it being better out of a bottle.

3.55/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at a local pub served in a large "pint" glass. Aroma was subtle wasn't able to pick up on much except for some creamy maltiness. Pour was a very dark amber with thin creamy head and little lacing. Thick mouthfeel for an ale with a full easy finish. The flavor was pretty good, creamy with a distinct maltiness. I had been looking forward to trying this beer, but overall it was simply decent. I question the freshness of the keg and the cleanliness of the taps and glasses so perhaps there is a slight injustice. I plan on trying out a sixer in the future and revisiting this review.

4.07/5  rDev +17.6%

A. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an odd long glass my roommate has. Anyway.. This bottle has been in my fridge for almost a year. Pours a reddish brown with a small white head.

S. Bready malts, some bitter hops.

T. A pretty good Ale here. Malty, I can taste some grains as well. Leafy hop bitters. It even tastes slightly roasted. Well balanced and mighty tasty.

M. Medium bodied, pretty smooth.

D. Something about Smithwicks makes me happy. I love drinking these. Good as a Black N Tan as well, I prefer this to Bass. A good session beer.

4.3/5  rDev +24.3%

Poured from bottle to pub glass. Dark reddish color with very little head. I was expecting a 'Killians' when I first picked this up and was unusually surprised. It was more on the verge of a stout than an Irish Red. Basically to summarize this beer, it is like a watered down version of a stout without the strong coffee flavors. I actually enjoyed this quite a bit, it is easy to drink but for the price ($8.99/six pack) I'll stick to a full bodied stout as to my personal preference, but wouldn't mind one of these every so often to mix it up, give it a try!

3.16/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured into Pint glass.

A: brown with large head that quickly dissipates but a 1/4 inch lingers wih good lacing.

S: Smokey malts and little else.

T: Smokey malt upfront, with a hop bit at the end.

M: Has the feel of a watered down guinness. Good carbonation, but not overly impressive overall.

D: Decent drinkability. This may be more filling than guinness due to the carbonation. OK but probably would not get again.

3.36/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Dark brown with a slightly reddish hue. Pours with a finger and half sea foam head that dissipates to good inner wall lacing and a thin lingering head.

S - I don't have a very good nose but it smells slightly citrus-y and mildly hoppy, no malt smells.

T - Slight to moderate body, no change in flavor profile, a little hoppy throughout, no pickup on malts.

M - Even feel throughout, decent carbonation.

D - Easy to drink, feels light in the stomach, would make for a decent session beer but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to have it.

Serving - Bottle

3.95/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a very dark gold, clear, with large foamy head. Nice sticky lacing on the side of the glass as it dissipates.
Smells of floral and herbal hops, some graininess, dried corn husk.
Tastes of grains, bitter floral hops, slight vanilla sweetness with a bitter and slightly drying finish. Well balanced.
Mouthfeel is medium at the start, but feels thin toward the end. Light carbonation throughout.
A pleasant Irish Red, I'll certainly try it again.

3.98/5  rDev +15%

Pours dark amber/light brown; quite clear. Impressive three-finger head that recedes to a lumpy centered froth. Good lace.

Lots of crystal malt in the smell. Biscuity, sort of like graham crackers. Very mild hop background.

This beer reminds me of what I'd expect from a darker British mild. The hop is present but very subtle. Even the aftertaste has a fine blend of hop and malt. The malt is reminiscent of baked apples and toast. No sugar presence but this is not an overly dry beer. There's a chewiness to the body but the carbonation is adequate to compensate.

I would call this a "round" beer with lots of British characteristics. For a mass-produced beer, this is superior with an easy drinkability.

3.86/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a deep, deep red with a dense off-white head that lingered the entire session and left an absolute wall of lacing from top to bottom. Definitely one of the best looking irish reds I have ever seen. The smell is sweet and mainly malts with caramel and nuts. The taste has a strong malty sweetness as well but has a little bitterness in the finish to balance it out a little. The mouthfeel was a little over carbonated but still fairly smooth. I was actually pleasantly surprised by this one and thought it was very drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured froma 12 oz. bottle.

A-Dark amber with a frothy 1 finger head with nice lacing.

S-Hops and malt, maybe some dark fruits. Smells sweet to the senses.

T-Roasted malts on first drink, mild hoppiness.

M-Medium body and medium carbonation to match.

D-Nice drinkability, could forsee having another one in the future.

3.15/5  rDev -9%

Great...another "imported" macro that the non-beer drinkers I know want to say is as good as any other Irish Ale.
Does have a nice red tint in its light brown body, with a little head that dies slowly. Some malts in the smell but they are weak - coffee, toasted malts, some bread. Can't really pick up any hops although there is a very slight aroma of something sweet/sugary (liquorice is what I want to say, but I know that's not it at all).
A medium-bodied brew that is a little thin and slick for an ale in my opinion, but still maintains a slight malt taste although it isn't as chewy as it is overcarbonated. Not a bad beer, but I'll take a Guinness Extra Stout over this when I'm in the grocery store.

4.1/5  rDev +18.5%

A : Pours a nice dark reddish amber color with a good head.

S : A good malt aroma with some sweetness, some fruit and floral notes, just a touch of hops

T : Mostly a toasted malt flavor with some nuttiness to it. Not much hops in it but just enough to provide the right bitterness.

M : Smooth, slightly creamy, good carbonation

D : Easily sessionable. Will probably be my preferred Irish beer on St Patty's.

Smithwick's Imported Premium Irish Ale from Guinness Ltd.
Beer rating: 3.46 out of 5 with 2,997 ratings