Guinness Draught Extra Cold | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Draught  Extra ColdGuinness Draught  Extra Cold

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by Mebuzzard on 01-15-2007

Reviews: 170 | Ratings: 523
3.73/5  rDev +9.1%

A decent beer, but not anywhere close to the Extra Stout, which remains one of my favorite brews in my limited but growing corpus of beers tasted.

The pour is stunning, a dark, Coca-Cola look, with a nice tan cap that makes me think of a milkshake for some unknown reason. The foam clings to the glass, making for quite the appearance.

Gives off a smell that seems inviting, like a cup of coffee with a hint of vanilla: a pleasurable smell, for sure.

The taste is ultimatly the downfall of the beer, because it seems quite watery initially, with a muted Guinnessian burnt coffee aftertaste. Could be a bit more robust.

This beer has a quite creamy feel, almost like a glass of milk. Not quite as nice as the extra stout, but certainly acceptable.

The Draught is drinkable, in that it is easy to drink, but I don't think I would want more than two of them at a time.

3.99/5  rDev +16.7%

A- Pours chocolate milk color into black with the creamiest of tan heads.
S- Aroma is soft and roasted, not much going on.
T- Roasted almost smokey, creamy soft chocolate, delicious but not intense. Perfect amount of malt.
M- Very creamy and smooth, just right.
O- A damn good beer, as always.

4.9/5  rDev +43.3%

Not sure why any one would give this great beer an F? It is super!!

A- It is undeniable that guinness has one of the most impresive pours ever. The fall from chocolate milk to black is breath taking. It's head holds a rich tan brown nicely.

S Chocolate, with roasted barley. Espresso coffee.

T- Dark roast , espresso coffee. This is quickly followed by dry roast. The finish is sweet, this is strange because the sweet usually comes first. Bitter stings the end.

M- Surprisingly light to the avid beer drinker, yet very smooth going all the way down. It coats your insides, and you can feel it reach your stomach happily.

D- Super , keep going back for more. A classic.

Serving type: nitro-bottle

3.93/5  rDev +14.9%

Bottle says serve "extra cold" but in my expierance 10 mins out of the fridge opens the aroma of the beer up alot.

A- Cascading pour that turns from brown to black due to the nitro. Thick white head that sticks around throughout the whole drinking expierance. Excellent lacing. Not as dark as some stouts, but still quite dark indeed. No carbonation visible. Very sexy beer.

S- Roasted malt, coffee, very soft touch of hop bitternes at the end. Possibly some mild chocolate notes, but not 100 percent sure.

T-Roasted malt and light coffee with a slight bitterness that fades into acidity. Definitly a malt forward brew.

M-Thin and watery on the palate. Fits the style perfectly.

D- Great drinkability due to the low abv and the thin mouthfeel.

3.15/5  rDev -7.9%

Honestly, I don't understand the popular appeal for this version. It doesn't impress me nearly as much as the nitro-can version, not sure why.

A= dark-brown near-black appearance, dark chestnut red-brown hue around the edges. Huge lush off-white slushy foam head which subsides quickly but a nice 1-cm head stays for some time, with thick lacing on the glass reminiscent to a milk-shake.

S= nice mild floral hops, roasted sweet malts, burnt malty nutty-ness.

T= similar to the scent, and very similar to the Nitro-Can version, yet it's a bit watery compared to the Nitro-can or especially when compared to the Extra Stout Original. Burnt chocolate hints, some burnt nutty taste with mild hops bitters but rather chalky and with an odd taste in the finish.

M= mild hops bitters, some other sort of annoying metallic bitterness that just doesn't fit; a slight creamy feel on the tongue.

D= Drinkable but it just doesn't impress me as a "beer" for some reason. Simply not impressed.

3.69/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a Guinness pint glass.

A - Beautiful dark chocolate pour, thick and creamy one finger head with nice, smooth lacing that retains into the duration of the drinking.

S - Not too strong of an aroma, but what's there is a bit of malt, roasted coffee if you really look for it. Nothing really special here.

T - Malt at the start with coffee and an all around roasted flavor. Finishes with a more bitter, coffee taste and dries out and bitters up in the aftertaste.

M - Very little carbonation, really smooth and cold going down. It really is like drinking water.

D - Decent. Drinkable, yeah, but not something I keep wanting after a few. Really good as an accompaniment to a hearty, meaty meal. But, I can't see this as a "go-to beer."

The Draught is good, but it's no Extra Stout.

4.83/5  rDev +41.2%

A - Gorgeous dark brew! Several fingers of beautiful thick cream head.

S - I don't smell much at all

T - This is the one beer that I compare all stouts to. Chocolate and malt notes.

M - Like drinking water, only more tasty.

D - 4.2% ABV. 'nuff said.

3.92/5  rDev +14.6%

Finally poured into a pilsener in spite of the "drink from bottle" on label...

A - Cascade of chocolate brown on black with hints of ruby red around the edges. One finger head lingered at a consistent thickness all the way down the glass over the 20 minutes it took to consume the beverage.

S - Not much aroma. Hint of malt. Leaves you wondering about the mystique surrounding this blackish brew.

T - Bittersweet. Or should I say sweet-bitter? THe chocolaty, sugary barley malt hits first. The "extra hops" follow up with a coffee-esque bitterness. Quite good according to my tastes.

M - Smooth, creamy,watery. My first encounter of this particular mouthfeel was surprising - completely unexpected and very refreshing.

D - Poundable, but I love to enjoy and appreciate just one.

3.36/5  rDev -1.8%

Must say these are cool bottles. Anyways, we all know Guinness. Gotta love watching it do it's magic as you pour it. Pours a black which light can shine through. Beautiful creamy head that isn't going anywhere. I enjoy the smell of Guinness as faint as it is and has the taste to match. The mouthfeel is like drinking water, literally, but that's Guinness, which makes for good drinkability.

Guinness will always hold a special place in my heart, it's just not on my radar these days.

3.74/5  rDev +9.4%

Well I have to say, this version of Guinness comes close to what comes out of a keg and what the Irish love and cherish. I've never been to Ireland for the real thing, but my Irish friends all see to enjoy this.

A. As with any beer, don't drink this out of the bottle or can. That kind of thing is for Genny Cream ale at a fireman's picnic.
B. Serve it cold, but not EXTRA cold (contrary to what is recommended on the bottle).

Appearance - poured into a pint glass. Dark and luscious, with a one-finger nito-fueled creamy head. It's interesting to watch the bubbles rise up from the bottom of the glass to form the head.

Aroma - not much here, faint aroma of roasted malt, typical of a Guinness stout

Taste - Roasty, roasty, roasty. Black patent malt dominates. The bitterness derives from this malt, I can't really detect any hop flavor, but that's the idea behind Ireland's pride and joy. A sour flavor from the roast lingers in the background, I guess one could compare it to unsweetened coffee. This brew is what it's supposed to be.

Mouthfeel - a little watery, but that's what Guinness draught is all about. If you want extra viscosity and kick, buy the Extra Stout. The head lingers all the way to the finish. and the carbonation is fine and slight, as expected of a Guinness draught.

Drinkability - could pound these all night, and at the moment, that's exactly what I'm doing! :)

3.56/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

440 ml Nitro-can 4.2% abv

Appearance: Personally (and I know that many won't agree) I love the look of this beer. Nearly black, until held to the light which reveals red highlights. Perfect, thick, creamy white head that leaves good lace.

Smell: Roasted malt, slight hint of chocolate.

Taste: Again roasted malt dominates.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, but a little watery.

Drinkability: I'm not Irish, but I must say this is one beer I can knock back. Being a student, this is my go to party beer :).

3.09/5  rDev -9.6%

Served from bottle into Euro Pint. Pours a dark dark brown with a red hue when looking down onto the beer. Has a one finger off-white head that stays until the end. Has an awesome pouring 'show' with the carbonation slowly making its way to the top. The aroma has slight nutty and malty hints. The flavor is light on the palate with little to no carbonation with malty notes. Overall this is not horrible, but it is definitely not a beer I typically buy with the availability. It will probably stay that way however...

2.7/5  rDev -21.1%

Guinness Draught is available in just about every serving type and has many variations. "Extra Cold" is it's bottled and "brought to the grocery store" variety that insists on a set of rules for maximum taste: serve extra cold (as per it's name), keep it in the bottle, and let the nitrogen flow evenly. To review the beer and follow these set regulations puts me at a disadvantage: I can't really shove my nose down the bottle to get a whiff, and since the entire bottle is covered with a sticker, I have no idea what it looks like. What I can do is compare it to previous experience with Guinness in it's other forms.

Guinness has a very interesting taste -- a heavy, mead-like taste and texture are there, but there is a watered-down feel to it (perhaps what makes it so liked). Extra Cold has much of the same, but it's very watery... very, very watered-down. You sort of have to search for the flavor to find it. The next problem is to keep nitrogen flowing, you have to really tilt the bottle... to a chugging degree. It seems to taste better this way than keeping the angle at a minimum. All of this makes the whole experience not enjoyable.

Instead, I'd opt up to the four-pack cans of Guinness. You can pour it into a glass, savor the aroma, and it's full flavor is there. Or best-yet, find it served properly at a local bar. This twelve-pack bottled variety, although convenient, is not the real Guinness taste that makes it the unofficial beer of St. Patty's Day.

2.94/5  rDev -14%

Well, I've certainly had this beer a number of times but I just had a pint at the local bar on St. Patrick's day (one of only two as DD!) at thought I'd give it a review finally.

Appearance- Comes off the tap looking good with a dark black body that lets in a little bit of light around the edges. About a half finger of creamy looking tan head sits onto of the beer for the entire time I'm drinking as well.

Smell- Really not a whole lot of noticeable smells on the nose of this beer. I can pick up some very mild roasted malts and that is about it.

Taste- Again, not a whole lot going on in the flavor department, though just a touch more than in the nose. Some mild roasted malt, a touch of soda cracker, and a dry astringency in the finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is very thin and watery with mild carbonation but not enough to offset the thin body. The astringent finish of the beer doesn't help in this department either. In terms of drinkability, this beer goes down pretty easy but doesn't offer me a lot of reasons to keep drinking it.

Overall, I can understand the appeal of this beer but don't find it very appealing myself. I think it is thin and lacks enough complexity to make it a decent session beer. I actually prefer the Foreign Export version in the bottles without the widget and think that they have more flavor and better body. I'll have to put in another review next time I have the other version.

2.47/5  rDev -27.8%

Appearance is good considering the uniqueness of the nitro widget-gimmick thingy, but the head doesn't hold the same as, or even have the same color as a nice nitro-tap version... it's like they make different versions of this beer and call it the same thing.

Smell is mild coffee

Up-front the taste is unbalanced toward the sour end of things... not like it's luscious doppelganger that I've had on certain tapped occasions. Roasty/coffee hints, but it stops there. leaves a mildly pleasant dry-sour aftertaste

Mouthfeel is watery!

Drinkability - I could drink this all day if I wanted to, but then again, the same with Pabst. And just the same with Pabst, only if I were having a particularly poor and alcoholic week.

1.62/5  rDev -52.6%

Bought this for St. Patrick's Day just like almost everyone else did.

A: Looks awesome in a glass as a purely opaque beer with an awesome head that follows your progession down the glass.

S: Smells like water with a little weak coffee mixed in there. Some hoppy notes are present as well.

T: I drank one of the bottle for this review because that's what you should do according to Guinness. It tastes like someone filled my bottle with water then added really weak coffee. It was alright at first but the more I drank of it the worse it was.

D: Maybe one is doable but I'm now regretting opening a second and can't wait to get it finished.

Overall: Very dissapointed I bought a six pack and am thinking of giving the rest away. Don't waste your money on this beer.

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%

I had this years ago while visiting Scottland before I was a hard core beer advocate. I wasn't a fan of Guinness but trying this in Scottland was amazing. I guess drinking Guinness fresh is a big difference. It actually got me to appreciate regular Gunniess in the states and was one of my transition beers into the wonderful world of craft beer. Guinness will always have respect from me as getting me to appreciate better beer. The coolest thing while I was thee was seeing a bartender pour a beer with a shamrock on the top.

3.31/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Black with a decent sized, creamy and foamy head. Retention is average and leaves a slight lacing.

S - Roasted malt with dark and milk chocolate and a bit of coffee.

T - Similar to smell. Roasted tastes with slight bitterness and some slight sweetness.

M - Medium to light body. Fairly smooth and creamy. Watery and thin for the style.

D - Easy to drink with a smooth mouthfeel and lightness. Unfortunately the taste is also light and watery so I don't necessarily want to go grab another.

Notes: Pretty much the same as the regular Guinness Draught. Also suffers from the same problems. Too light and watery and not enough flavor. Not bad and has its place, but not one you will search for.

3.11/5  rDev -9.1%

Guinness: Draught Stout "Extra Cold" (No freshness date) (Tasted 02/25/10)
12 oz. nitro-bottle, poured into a tulip pint.

Appearance: As always, the floor show is exquisite, the beer pours a turbid light brown, sits in the glass like watery chocolate milk, then transforms beer so brown, you might as well call it black. It has a tight, off-white head that looks as if you could drop a quarter on it without damaging its integrity. Retention is great, solid collar of foam which stays attached to the glass.
Odor: Chalk-butter background aroma with some criminally muted dark grain aroma in the front.
Consistency: Medium bodied beer with the carbonation giving it a much fuller, lusher feel than it really is, almost milky. Roasted malt astringency cuts through, low carbonation keeps this beer smack-dab in the center of smoothsville, though there's a watery element to the feel that makes it difficult for me to fully enjoy this beer.
Flavor: Chalky background, subdued roasted grains expressing ash, and earthy dark roast coffee. Coffee flavors bloom in the finish, venturing into espresso territory.

I wasn't around for the good old days of Guinness, thus I have very little basis for comparison, but I think it's safe to say that I can't quite wrap my head around the fact that people rave about it. It's not really all that bad, but it's not all that good, especially for the price. With options like Carlow, Paper City or Murphy's dry stout are readily available, I have little desire to drink this. Sadly, Beamish is gone.

3.39/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance is a very dark brown with the nitro made off white creamy head leaving almost a curtain of lace. Smell has light roasted malts, coffee and chocolate with a faint dark fruit note. Taste of roasted malts, coffee and light chocolate with light hop. Mouthfeel has a creamy smoothness that goes down slick with little carbonation. A little watered down from other stouts, but one I'd love to try on tap.

2.86/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance: Poured a very dark brown/black, completely opaque. Two finger thick off-white colored head, with downward cascading carbonation in the beer itself for about 20 seconds. Excellent head retention and definition. Very nice lacing.

Smell: Roasted and smoky malts, with chocolate, coffee, and caramel flavors.

Taste: Very watered down roasted malts. Some chocolate and coffee flavors as well, but again, very watered down. Mild sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied and very lifeless. Almost no carbonation at all.

Drinkability: A beautiful beer and a very nice nose, but the taste and mouthfeel are overly thin.

Buy Again? On tap in a bar, yes. Otherwise, I’d have to see what is available.

3.12/5  rDev -8.8%

Hmmm. This one present and interesting conundrum. On the one hand you want to slam it hard. I mean who ever heard of a Guinness brewed for COLD. They do not belong in the same sentence. However when you try to get inside the brewers head you can't help but come up with love. As a beer this is pretty unimpresssive. The label states that this is to be consumed from the bottle. Not much to look at or smell. You can sniff out some roasted malt and earthy hops if you try but the flavor is a notch above BMC as there is a roasted grain presence. A bit of real hops as well. The upshot is this is a beer brewed for those times when a real beer lover is trapped. You know what I'm talkin' about. The bars that only have iced bottles no taps. Viewed in that light this beer is a life line for those of us who are looking at a night of ice cold piss or something closer to beer. The thin feel is a bit of a letdown but it does enhance drinkability, enabling you to quaff at a dangerous clip. So remember this is a beer for club night and it aint' so bad. Just order one and slam it down with your buddies and before you know it you're one of the guys not a beer snob.

3.12/5  rDev -8.8%

11.2oz bottle with a nitro rocket. I had it served in a Guinness pub glass and had one right out of the bottle.

The poured beer was black with and incredible head of turbulant foam that remained rich and creamy until the end, great thick lacing.
After the appearance everything else goes downhill...

Smell is faint roasted malt
Taste is like watered down roasted malt.
Mouthfeel is flat and watery.
Suck 'em down in a hurry (and then move on to a better beer).

3.73/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a very dark black. When I hold it up to the light, I see nothing but black.
Thick creamy head, dissipates slowly to ΒΌ inch. Some lacing.

Smells of smoky malt and a hint of coffee and dark chocolate.

A creamy malt and smoke taste. Hints of dark chocolate, and a smoky aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is silky and creamy, very watery, and very little carbonation.

A nice stout. But not one I would seek out.

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

I grabbed a couple of these from my Dad's house last time I was there. I have always loved this beer but for my B-day I was treated to extra stout and I want to see how this compares. I poured this into a small pilsner glass because my beautiful Guinness glass broke during my move. I don't know why they say drink it out of the bottle. I only drink crap macros straight out of the bottle. So being I know how to pour a pretty good pint (Notice I didn't say perfect) of Guinness I am not going to bother with keeping it in the bottle.

Appearance- Come on we all know what a Guinness looks like. Beautiful dark body blackish brown with little reddish tints if held up to light. Creamy white head two and a half fingers and stellar lacing. I love watching a Guinness Surge too.

Smell- That very coffee and hoppy aroma with a touch of breadiness and slight malt

Taste- roasty and malts plus coffee essence overwhelms my pallate. Then once that clears. I get the hops. I love it but the taste seems more watered down then the extra stout

Mouthfeel- SMOOTH and creamy. I love that about Guinness. Practically no carbonation to speak of which ofcourse suits this style. It is kind of thin on the tongue and it makes the backs of my front teeth feel funny but It doesn't bother me. It is pretty filling but being I have matured a little in my beer tasting I know that this stuff isn't nothing compared to the thickness of some other stouts.

Overall- I really do still like this beer. I still have never had it on tap or out of a nitro can which is supposed to be better. And now that I have had the oppurtunity to try Extra Stout I am still kind of jaded by that. But that isn't fair because that is like comparing an Xbox to and Xbox 360. Both beers are winners but I just prefer the Extra Stout. Don't get me wrong I will continue to drink this stuff because it is a very good session beer.

Guinness Draught Extra Cold from Guinness Ltd.