Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout | Guinness Ltd.

good
Guinness 250th Anniversary StoutGuinness 250th Anniversary Stout

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by naterock on 04-13-2009

2.58/5  rDev -26.7%

Was stoked to try, was disappointed to drink. It looks good like your average stout, but without hardly any head. I enjoy Guinness' gimmicks, so I was kinda let down here. Tastes like their usual nitro-stout recipe except not nitrogenated and missing the acidulated malt sourness. I have no idea if this was their "original" recipe or something along those lines, but it was really un-inspiring.

4.08/5  rDev +15.9%

Comes out of the tap black as midnight with a fairly thick pale tan head. Aroma is malty, smoky and surprisingly a little fruity. Rich flavor is typical of a good stout - smoky and coffee-ish - and has a fruity undertone. Texture is smooth, rich, fizzy and satisfying.

3.76/5  rDev +6.8%

A new twist from Guinness. No, they didn't strecth to create something off the wall - but they retooled a classic to come up with something enjoyable.

Pours deep dark black with an off white head. There are tinges of red in the color. The foam is bubbly - not creamy like the traditional draught. Also recedes much more quickly than the original. Lacing evident.

Roast roasted malt smell. Burnt coffee, some chocolate. Very pleasing coming from the bottle.

Good taste! Like a more carbonated version of the standard draught. The malt is all there, with a hop buried through out. Very enjoyable.

Very drinkable. I am really enjoying the sixer I picked up of this. I think some of the criticism is unwarranted - people basing it on what they thing Guinness should have done, rather than just rating the beer. My opinion - this is a solid brew. Cheers.

2.43/5  rDev -31%

A: Pours a dark brown-black. Not as much head as I would expect and not as fine as I would expect from this style. Nothing impressive.

S: There wasn't much of one. Very faint roasty malts and coffee.

T: Very uninspired. I wanted to be kicked in the mouth with flavor. I was disappointed. It was very watery and had a fairly light taste of dark malts and chocolate. Barely noticeable.

M: Lots of carbonation. Light to medium body. Once again, I wasn't impressed.

D: I downed it in a minute or so, like drinking a glass of water, but wasn't drawn back to it. The drinkability is good, just not a great beer.

I would have rather had a regular guinness stout than this. Attempt at gimmicky beer I guess. Guess the 110k+OT I had the night before drowned it out.

3.41/5  rDev -3.1%

A: the body sat mostly black in color while the pour exposed deep orange and brown hues. When pouring a fleeting cascade of golden brown bubbles exploded into a gunky tan colored foam top. The lacing is a sticky mess, very nice

S: softly roasted grains that seem a little mushy and watery to the senses. Light dry cocoa powder smells as well

T: soft spiced nutty notes, a few coffee beans sprinkled with cocoa powder, and a clean well-off finish. Nothing incredibly roasted about this guy. I am finding myself gathering some caramel notes and possible hop notes without any burnt bitterness as with other Guinness
From my understanding 250 is a combination of stout and ale malts. This combo seems to work and provides a crisp, rather clean finish

M: I find this to be rather thin for a stout, even to some porters. Mild body that is very Ale like, mostly due to the stronger carbonation than its Guinness brothers and predecessors. It drinks well

D: I have a hard time calling this an Irish Dry Stout, it drinks more like an Ale or Lager. Still, I don't mind. Flavors are tasty and I would drink it again, but it's nothing to drool over

4.03/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Very dark coloration, black/brown with a slight reddish tinge on the bottom. Thick off-white head that leaves significant lacing.

Smell: Dry aromatic maltiness, lots of breadiness, hints of mild hops. Has an almost bock-like aroma. Interesting.

Taste: Sweeter than expected. I'm drinking this warmer than usual, having left it out of the fridge longer than I intended, and the extra warmth is bringing a lot of sweet malty complexity to the forefront. Astringent on the finish, dry on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps a touch thicker than ordinary Guinness (which is very watery to my palate), with a touch of carbonation. No hop bite at all.

Drinkability: I'll probably get a bottle of Guinness and a bottle of Extra Stout and do a three-way side-by-side at some point. I think this is a better beer than either of those, but whether it's just my mind playing tricks on my tastebuds I can't say.

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a very dark color with a nice tan head, but when held up to the light, you can see it is not opaque, but i a very deep red/brown color.

The smell to me at first was very candy like, reminded me of the smell of hot caramel. Was also a bit of fruitiness in there.

The taste starts out sweet, then finished with the bitterness and smokiness I expect from Guinness. Overall was sweeter than the original, but still had the flavor characteristics Guinness is known for.

The feel was less than I expected from such a dark beer. The flavors do stay with you, but I did expect something thicker and a bit creamier. The impression I got was watery.

This one is an easier drinking beer than the original. Not near as heavy and thick, goes down much easier. Not the best stout I've ever had, but a decent one.

3.45/5  rDev -2%

Look: Poured bottle into pint glass, same dark-black, ruby-red color. Foam head which sticks around all the way through the drink.

Smell: Nothing changed here compared to regular Guinness. Same stout coffee, chocolate smell mixed with corn and grains.

Taste: Here is a little difference, the taste is a little sweater than regular Guinness. Other than that the normal stout, coffee, chocolate taste mixed with corn and grains.

Mouthfeel: Normal Guinness mouthfeel, quick and dry, left with the smoky chocolate, coffee mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A little easier than regular Guinness. Surprisingly it is really easy to drink, so I guess it is worth a try.

3.65/5  rDev +3.7%

Less creamy than the "original" guinness and, yeah, a little watery, but the taste was closer to the stuff in Ireland. I actually think the higher carbonation helps enliven the flavors more by adding a little bite to where it's watery and by creating a better impression of overall dryness. It's the wateriest at the beginning, which moves to a slight lactic sourness and then a nice chocolatey finish with hints of weak coffee and figgy richness. (By the way, it's lactic as in the acid and not lactose, that's actually a sweet flavor derived from milk sugar.) Yeah it's mild, but it's dry and drinkable and way better than the usual crap guinness in grocery stores that sells almost entirely owing to marketing and mouthfeel from a stupid nitro can.

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

Eh, I was expecting more from Guinness on this one

A: Pours a rich, thick-looking black color that leaves a near-white head...now this is when I saw things going south...The head is unlike the classic Guinness head (which is tan and creamy looking)...this one is frothy, almost white, and looks like the carbonation is off.

S: Plain...a little roasted malts, minerals, metallic notes, and other bland aromas.

T: Again, plain. Roasted malts...

MF/D: The carbonation is way too high for my liking. Light in body for a stout. I'll stick to the classic Guinness' from now on...

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

Beer forms a 2 finger head in my guinness pint glass. Dark black in color, the head sits for a while but is much more pillowy compared to the nitrogen version of this brew. Nose is straight forward and simple; primarily smoked malt and molasses. Taste is sweet up front with some bitterness coming through in the finish. Ample carbonation over powers my ability to really taste this one. Full bodied brew that you can drink pretty quickly. I wasn't thoroughly impressed as I knew this beer was a marketing gimmick but it actually was a bit better than I expected. I wouldn't turn down a free one (which is how acquired this) but I wouldn't buy it either.

3.65/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured the bottle into a Guinness pint glass. Pours black with a light brown head. Aroma had light coffee, caramel and grain. The taste of this beer reminds me of a slightly watery version of the extra stout, which is not a bad thing. The beer is very carbonated. Light chocolate and coffe flavors kick in. Fairly sweet on the palate with a dry finish. Not bad I think they should make this a regular.

3.2/5  rDev -9.1%

11.2oz bottle.

Poured a deep brown color with a huge sized off white head. Aromas of earthiness, dirt, and roasty. Tastes of earthiness, caramel, roast, and lighter coffee. Lacing left on the glass. Body on the thinner and weaker side.

Notes from and tasted on: 6/13/09

3.2/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours dark dark brown to black like the good 'ol Guinness stout that I've known since high school. Head is about a quarter inch of tan colored head.

Smell is roasty toasty malt, toasted brown bread, dark chocolare and coffee.

Taste is a little metallic, iron-y with a bit of semi-sweet chocolate and some slightly sweet malt. Not much else, leaves a dry metallic aftertaste in my mouth.

Is it different from regular Guinness from a bottle? Maybe, a bit. Not a whole lot though. Go for the Foreign Export Strength if you can find it, this stuff is pretty weak overall.

2.93/5  rDev -16.8%

The Anniversary Stout has been tapped to celebrate the day that Guinness signed the 900 Year lease at the site at St. James Gate. It is available for a few more weeks. So, this afternoon, over a hearty lunch at Dubliners in Washington DC, I finally got the chance to try a pint of this limited relaease - and for $7.00, it might be very limited.

Unlike "regular" Guinness, the Anniversary Stout has little head and settles quickly. Being much less malty than the "regular," it comes off much like an Irish Ale. (When ordering this, the bartender replied that it was "like mixing Smithwicks in Guinness." I don't know about that, but it was a mild quaff, but one that lacks the creaminess of the regular.

I still prefer the other version.

3.71/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Pours up an opaque black with a thick white head that lingers, leaving nice lacing on the glass.

S - Slight aroma of roasted malt. Not much else.

T - Nice malty sweetness with hints of roast on the fringes. A bit of roast in the finish with some faint hoppiness. Nothing too noticeable or offensive.

M - Good mouthfeel, but with a bit more carbonation that I am used to

D - I like this beer. Very drinkable.

2.51/5  rDev -28.7%

12oz bottle. Pours clear dark brown/black with a substantial beige head. Smells faintly of roasted malts with some metallic and mineral notes. Taste is weak, watery dark malt with some slight bitterness. Light body with a fair amount of carbonation. Slightly better than the standard Guinness, but that may only be down to the carbonation vs nitro.

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Looks like any Guinness, really. A very dark chocolatey brown, bordering on black. Generous tan head, about 3-4 fingers in a pint glass. The head is a little more bubbly than even your standard Guinness draught. It really has the appearance of tiny soap suds. I thought I'd poured some Dawn in my glass for a bit. And "lacing" really doesn't describe it. Entire colonies of suds stick to the sides of the glass throughout the drink. Not unpleasant or at all a bad thing, just a bit unusual.

S: Light chocolate / coffee aroma. Pleasant, but nothing special.

T: Again, a light chocolate / coffee flavor. Not a huge noticeable difference from Guinness draught, but it does feel like a slight step up. Still has that vaguely watered-down sensation to me, though. Slightly malty aftertaste with hints of chocolate remaining.

M: Slight sense of fullness in the mouth, but cleans out nicely.

D: I find Guinness to be slightly less drinkable than water. This is a slight step up from Guinness draught and could easily be an anytime beer.

3.63/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Dark brown with a garnet tint. Transparent around the edges of my mug. Pretty decent head with some big bubbles around the edges and a consistent film in the center. Looks like what we would call a Porter in America.

S- Lighter roast then a typical guinness. The wider range of roasted malts provides for a bit more complexity. Some yeast aroma.

T- Taste is very light and pleasing, but lacks anything impressive. Bittersweet characteristic of chocolate or coffee is the highlight, but short-lived. Mostly watery. Some yeast flavor somewhat alike rubber but more appetizing.

M&D- Very sessionable with a relatively light body and active, bubbly carbonation.

3.78/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a very very dark brown, pretty much black with some red around the edges. Has about a one finger off white head that stays till the end pretty much but leaves little lacing down the glass. The smell is roasted malt, and some coffee. Not much other than that but it's still not bad. Taste is very similar, with coffee and roasted malts. The taste overall isn't bad and has a somewhat creamy mouthfeel to it. The drinkability is pretty good, a lower abv and it's not to strong so I could drink quite a few no problem. Overall it's good but not the best Guinness I've had. It sort of taste like it's somewhere between Guinness draft and Guinness Extra Stout somewhere right in the middle. It's good but I'd prefer the Extra Stout any day over it but I have no problem drinking this.

Dark brown colored beer with a rich thick creamy head.Aroma and taste are extemely weak.I am a fan of Irish stouts and of Guiness but this to me is just weak and watery.I cannot detect chocolate or coffee.Very disappointed and I would not recommend to anyone.

3.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark brownish black color, not quite pitch black but close. There is a nice light tan signature Guinness head that sticks around forever and has decent lacing.

S- The aroma is dark roasted malts with hints of bittersweet chocolate and a touch of coffee.

T- The taste follows the aroma with burnt roasted malts, a touch of smoke, bittersweet chocolate and coffee flavors.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, not too bad! I enjoy this more that Guinness Draught and right under Guinness Extra Stout. Happy 250th Guinness!

3.8/5  rDev +8%

I had almost forgotten this brew was on its way when I found a bunch at my niece's 1st birthday party. I was kind of looking forward to it.

This tastes pretty much how I'd expect a bottled, non-nitro Guinness Draught to be, although a bit sweeter. As such it was pretty satisfying for this sweet stout/porter fan! Much lighter, richer roast, definitely more caramelly and less astringent, and a whole lot easier to drink than Original Extra Stout. Quite porter-like overall. The flavor profile is a little thin and, well, macro-ish, but if the idea was to make a real stout with mass appeal, I can forgive it. I'd try this one again.

3.41/5  rDev -3.1%

Had an imperial pint while waiting out a layover in the Detroit airport at whatever the Irish bar there is. So basically this is a non-soured Guinness or classic Irish dry stout like Beamish or Murphy's, but not quite as good. Still, it has the nice deep black roast barley for a bready espresso flavor before a creamier cocoa flavor rolls in. Still, like normal Guinness, this beer comes off a bit more watery than other dry stouts. It's still an improvement I suppose.

2.85/5  rDev -19%

Underwhelmed. Poured with a dark tan, frothy, foamy, soap bubbly head and lots of lace. Aroma is very roasty, malty, chocolate, and dark coffee. Flavor is two dimensional - something going on, but not a lot. A lot like the aroma and with a bit of sweetness and a hint of caramel in the finish. Way over carbonated. An effort to be a more popular beer? Not bad, but the carbonation really derails it.

Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout from Guinness Ltd.