Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout | Guinness Ltd.

good
Guinness 250th Anniversary StoutGuinness 250th Anniversary Stout

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by naterock on 04-13-2009

3.35/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 11.2 oz longneck bottle, label prominently declares the 250 Anniversary.

Appearance: Pours dark, with just a hint of ruby when held to the light. Thin head, fades quickly.

Smell: Lots of roast, just a hint of that slightly sour I associate mostly with Guinness.

Taste: The first thing I notice is the carbonation - its a bit too high. Especially when you are used to the nitrogen of the regular Guinness. There is a nice bitterness and some roasted flavors in there.

Overall impression: This is very close to regular Guinness, but it has a bit more of the roasted flavor - its enjoyable, but could benefit highly from less carbonation.

Looks and smells just like a Guinness. The taste is a big let-down. It tastes like a Guinness without the things that make it what it is. The carbonation is overly apparent, the stout taste is watered down, and the milkiness is subdues to a minimum. I love a Guinness on-tap and had high expectations, but was disappointed in this one.

3.71/5  rDev +5.4%

Sevred in a pint glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - Pitch black in normal ambiance, showing off a nice dark ruby color in the light. Tan head is fluffy and resilient, leaving lots of lacing.

S - Not a lot on the nose, maybe a bit of toasted malt.

T - Nice full bodied roasty malt, coffee, and bitter chocolate, with a slight tartness on the finish. Interesting, to say the least.

M - A bit too watery, but the carbonation was nice and peppy without being too much for the style.

D - A nicely drinkable stout, could easily session a couple of these.

overall - I'm sure it's nowhere close to the authentic on-tap liquid love only available in Guinness' homeland, but it's still a solid brew.

2.83/5  rDev -19.6%

Received a nice pint from my server.

Appearance: Looks like the usual Guinness which is gorgeous. Dark black color with a very creamy white head. Mild carbonation clung to the side of the glass. This looked great.

Smell: Light roasted malt character as compared to standard Guinness. Nice small sweet notes on the nose.

Taste: Unfortunately a big let down. I really hate to do this to the company but the flavor department didn't show up to work apparently. Tastes like Guinness was mixed with Budweiser. Starts out like a smooth Guinness with decent roasted malt but it appears faint as you get more water and what tastes to be lager mixed in.

Mouthfeel: Guinness isn't overly heavy, but this one felt very watery. Dark beer doesn't need to be heavy but compared to how much of a treat Guinness can be on tap, I was less than impressed with this.

Drinkability: A couple of these can go down easy, and I didn't have any trouble getting through my pint. My question comes to be, would I really want to session this, and unfortunately the answer is no.

Final Thoughts - Large let down from a 250th anniversary beer. The taste reminds me mostly of watered down Guinness. I love the original a lot, and I would recommend that over this as it is a well crafted Irish stout. Good idea from Guinness, and new brews are always welcome but I will spend my money on the original.

Being a 250th anniversary beer, I was hoping this would be something special. Alas, I was disappointed with this brew. Pours a dark ruby red with a fluffy head that is quick to fade. Usual Guinness aroma of roasted malt. Taste is light roasted malt with a slightly acrid bitterness. Mouthfeel seems very light for the style. Personally, I prefer the nitro version over this one.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating info but just released so I know it's fresh. The color was black with ruby edges against the light. It had an average sized beige head that settled into a collar with some floating foam. Some quick sliding lace as well.

The aroma was roasted malt, caramel and slight chocolate malt. Typical Guinness aroma which for me is just above middle of the road. The taste followed the aroma. Slightly dry finish. The mouthfeel was better than standard Guinness to me since not as watery.

Overall, a good beer that I give a mild recommend. Congrats on 250 years. For me, wouldn't buy a sixer of it but might grab a single or on tap.

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%

Black with brown hues at the edge, light brown head. Some lacing.

Smells like Guinness, but slightly sweeter. Roasty malts and chocolate notes.

Good mix between sour and sweet, mostly chocolate and cocoa here with some smoky notes and a touch of hop bittering.

Pretty light on the tongue with a decent carbonation.

Not too bad at all, this one is very easy drinking. I'd say its a step above the Draught, and a step below the Extra Stout.

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Poured a black color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of roasted malt with some chocolate scents

T - Follows the nose a little disappointing some roasty chocolate malt taste

M - This beer has a thin watery body with light carbonation to it

D - This is an ok stout for beginners I guess I was hopping this would be like the Foreign Extra Stout but was disappointed by pretty much the same old Guinness save your money and buy a real stout

3.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Almost black with a creamy head a couple of fingers thick. Almost came out of the glass.

Smelled malty, kind of like burnt caramel and chocolate. Little hints of toffee.

Had kind of a rosted chocolate taste.

More watery than I expected. I was surprised at the "stout" label.

I'll finish the 6 pack I got but I dont know that I'll pick up any more.

4.02/5  rDev +14.2%

Naught but a dark ruby slinking into the vessel, a tired glass. The head springs up for but a few moments, then is lost to the ravine, leaving no trace behind.
The roast is the main event, an almost cream-sweet and the signature guinness yeast that one might not notice save for it being a defining feature of this... you can most likely tell it hails from St. James's Gate.
It's a toss-up, a tug-of-war between the light mouthfeel and the soaring drinkability. One could quaff back this moderately balanced stout several at a time.
For an Irish dry, this is an excellent one. A bit more complex than the regular nitro, but not as bitter as the extra stout. Still, nowhere near the league of foreign extra or special export.

330ml bottle served in a Guinness pub-style pint glass.

L - black liquid with a fluffy beige head that thinned out to a layer and left streaks of lacing behind.

S - rich malty aroma.

T - roasted malty flavors, notes of cocoa and coffee upfront with very light bitterness on the back end.

F - medium body, smooth and creamy feel.

D - enjoyable brew, grab some while it's around.

3.66/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into my Guinness pint glass.

A- Very dark brown, nearly black. Thick tan head that rose out of the glass.

S- Light toffee smell, not much else.

T- Slight toffee or roasted malt flavor followed with a little hoppiness to finish.

M- Medium body with heavy carbonation.

D- Very high. An interesting take on Guinness. I like it. Not as creamy as the draught, and maybe lighter than the extra stout. Something about it also reminds me of Abita TurboDog.

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours black with ruby edges and a large foamy tan head - not as black as expected. Nice head, though.

The smell is of roast, chocolate...Smells like a Guinness.

The taste is of deep roast and chocolate with a fruity undertone.

Rather watery with the carbonation somewhat harsh. Not as creamy as the regular "draught" version, not as rich as the extra.

Not something I would consider a "special anniversary" brew. Won't get this over the regular on-tap, can or extra versions I could get around here. Nothing special - has a Guinness character, but with a fruity-ish undertone and harsher/pricklier carbonation.

3.47/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a dark brown with ruby hints around the edges and a small off-white head that recedes very quickly and leaves almost no lacing.

The aroma is dominated by sweet dark chocolate malts with a little bit of hops and some dark fruits. Not too complex in the nose.

The taste is anchored by the same sweet dark malts and has some more hops up front and an underlying bitterness that lingers through the finish.

The mouthfeel is certainly lighter than standard Guinness and most other stouts for that matter. Little carbonation and not very smooth relative to the original.

This is an average stout that doesn't stand out one way or the other. It's definitely a little too light bodied to be considered a really solid stout.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

On-tap at the Brick Store in Atlanta.

Pours a slightly hazy dark brown color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing. Not quite as pretty as the nitro-tapped normal Guinness.

Smells of lightly roasted malts with hints of burnt caramel and dark fruits.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Lightly roasted malt flavors up front are joined by toasted caramel flavors ending in a roasted malt bitterness. The flavors are all pretty clean but there's not a whole lot of complexity.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's a bit on the thin side with light carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. I finished my glass without much problem but I could pass on another.

Overall this is a decent beer, but there's a reason Guinness is served on nitro-tap.

2.73/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance: Dark cola color with a pretty head. Very little retention and light to mod lacing.

Smell: Slight chocolate, caramel, and malty goodness.

Taste: Dark roasted malts and...water? Alcohol? Wow, just like every other Guinness. Slight complexity that does nothing to stimulate the senses.

Mouthfeel: Thin, not worth of a "stout" title.

Drinkability: It was a stout that failed to deliver, just like most of everything brewed by Guinness. Nothing quite like celebrating an anniversary with crappy beer, I guess.

Go drink a Dark Lord or a Speedway Stout and taste something with palpable flavor.

-Dotson

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: Dark brown, near black body with a thin, bone white head.

Smell: Dark maltiness leads the aroma with notes of lightly roasted barley, chocolate, and even licorice. Also with a noticeable fruitiness. Don't forget the noticeable dark fruitiness, friends.

Taste: Dark malts, both roasted and toasted, with slight showing of bittersweet chocolate and charred bread crusts as well as a medium amount of lingering sweetness. Almost immediately, there's a surprising, particular fruitiness trying to overstep the malt flavors. Encroaching licorice flavor. Gentle touch of sourness. A subtle roasty bitterness perks up midway. Faint wisp of smoke on the drying, roasty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-low carbonation.

Drinkability: A pleasant, non-nitro'ed step up from the typical Guinness Draught. I can't wait to have the next Guinness Anniversary beer poured over my grave in the year 2259.

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

11.2 ounce botle. Stouty near black, under a puffy mocha head, that sticks around and leaves plenty of thick lace and ringed sheeting. Mild nose of coffee and oaty malts. Tasty and suprisingly bitter stout, more coffee, unsweatened chocolate, and dry hops late. For me the Guiness family of beers are the classic "in a pinch" type of selections. Nothing amazing but when nothing more interesting is to be had, they are distributed EVERYWHERE and...you know the rest.

3.92/5  rDev +11.4%

11.2oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Apparently, this is brewed with "triple hops." Is that how it gets that great pilsner taste?

A: Blackish dark brown body with a white fizzy head. Good amount of lacing.

S: Roasted malts with lots of chocolate notes.

T: Typical Guinness roastiness, but with a lot more chocolate. Also some vinous notes. Finishes dry.

M: Light and fizzy. Not very stouty.

D: When I first heard about ths, everything about it screamed "marketing gimmick" to me. But it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. In fact, I think I prefer it to regular Guinness. If Guinness could find a way to combine the smoothness of its regular stout with the flavor of 250th Anniversary, that would be a world-class beer.

3.72/5  rDev +5.7%

Served in a Guinness pint glass. Dark ruby red color with a tan head that's initially frothy and quickly subsides. Pleasant malty aroma I've come to expect from Guinness. Taste is fairly pleasant, roasted malt with a little more hops than the traditional Guinness taste. Carbonation throws me a little, as I actually enjoy the nitrogen cascade. An easy drinking offering from a traditional favorite.

4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance:
Poured very dark with a nice thick 2-3 inches of light tan head. Crimson highlights can be seen when held up to the light. Good head retention and nice lacing on the glass.

Smell:
Chocolate malts with some milky chocolate tones. Mild sugary sweetness and a pinch of raisin-like tartness. Malty and smooth.

Taste:
More roasted grains with chocolate notes. A bit of a bitter kick to it towards the back of the mouth. A little bit of bitter citrus zest coming through, and as much as I can't believe it from a Guinness, some alcohol notes as well.

Mouthfeel:
Definitely not as milky as traditional Guinness, though smooth. Crisp carbonation on the tongue and a bit thin.

Drinkability:
This beer is not too thick or thin, not too strong in flavor nor too weak. Highly drinkable. I'm nearly done with mine, while typing this up... about 5 minutes.

Overall:
I'm bummed that this was a single run. I like it much better than Extra Stout, and it's much more flavorful than Guinness Draught. Fairly high marks from me!

2.94/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black color. I noticed some ruby highlights around the edges. A two finger beige head forms, but leaves very little lace.
S: Grainy malt is up front. Old and musky coffee in the nose. This is really lacking in this department.
T: Some grainy malt and bread. Light roasted malt and some bitter chocolate. Very faint old coffee.
M/D: A medium body that is thin and watery. A bit chalky. Easy and smooth to drink. A sessionable stout.

Not much difference between this and the regular Guinness (except this is not on nitro). This has a bit more roasted malt here than I remember in the regular version. I guess Guinness has officially manipulated stouts as much as BMC manipulated the Pilsner.

3.05/5  rDev -13.4%

A - Pours a thick rocky one inch tan head, body is near pitch black with some clarity at the bottom of the glass. Thick lacing slowly appears as the head fades. Lots of carbonation coming from the bottom of the glass, sort of like coca-cola.

S - Mild roasted character in the nose, chocolate notes as well. Smells just like a Guinness draft, only with a much stronger scent of roasted malt.

M - Mouthfeel is quite thin with mild carbonation. I hate to say it, but I'd enjoy this more on nitro as this would at least add a thicker creamier mouthfeel to this brew.

T - Roasted bitterness up front then chocolate pulls through right after the roasted bitterness fades. A coffee-like bitterness returns and lingers on the tongue. While I wouldn't call this complex, it's much more complex than regular Guinness Draft.

D - Nothing too mind blowing going on here, a simple beer. I do enjoy a Guinness Draft, especially at a bar with minimal options, but this one leaves me wanting much more. Not as easy drinking as Guinness Draft, yet not as tasty as Guinness Extra Stout. Just an ok beer, not something I'd buy again though.

2.24/5  rDev -36.4%

A - Pours lke a Guinness Extra Stout (dark liquid, tan head, no nitro). Head was about two fingers worth. To strong light, the dark ruby color of Guinness. Head a light tan which shrinks to a nice coating leaving a thick lacing about a finger above the fluid.

S - Chocolate, dark roasted coffee tones. Again like Guinness usually.

T - Tastes a bit thin and watery with only a little hop bitterness in the finish. Has a bit more smoke in it then I remeber from the last time I tried a Guinness (The extra stout being my personal favorite). But this seems bland and boring to me. I don't know what I was going to get from a beer that celebrates 250 years of history and lore but this doesn't seem to be a good way to show off what it can be.

M - Fairly carbonated with a very dry finish. The bitterness stick around but the malts don't want to dance as they do in other dry stouts.

D - Can I drink it again? Maybe with other BAs or some of my friends so we can talk about it. But I came home looking forward to tasting a beer that sings the brewer's praises but instead falls flat. I cannot see buying any more of this beer I am sorry to say.

3.56/5  rDev +1.1%

I was excited to try this when I went to the store the other night. Poured into a pint glass.
A - good appearance. The head is like any other beer. (no nitro) It fades fairly quick to the thickness of 2 ritz crackers. Very slight lacing.
S - The smell is not bad. It smells like a stout. There is a small hint of coffee and a little vanilla.
T - This stout is similar to extra stout but tweaked a bit for the 250th. There is a coffee and smoked flavour. Not a bad taste at all.
M - I like the feel of this stout in my mouth. It reminds me of sitting in the pubs in Ireland. Smooth and a little creamy.
D- This stout is a drink just a few and not all of them at once. It deserves to be enjoyed in a relaxed atmosphere.
In closing this is not a bad addition to the stouts of Guinness. Will have more.

Guinness 250th Anniversary Stout from Guinness Ltd.