Guinness Extra Stout (Canada) | Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Extra Stout (Canada)Guinness Extra Stout (Canada)

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by wordemupg on 09-05-2009

Reviews: 103 | Ratings: 297
3.39/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Compared to import genuine Guinness the Canadian big bottle seems to be more "drinkable" I mean this in the sense that I could picture college frats chugging this on some sort of bet, dare or challenge and it could be done with ease. Surely not as good as the traditional, but still good.
Appearance is very dark and syrup like
Smell is kind of weak and adjunct(y)
Taste has less of that stout tongue coating pleasure I am used to, but still very acceptable
Mouthfeel is still kind of weak and has that same adjunct feel
3.5 - 4 depending on my mood
Get one :D

4.36/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Reddish Black with creamy two finger head.

Smell: chocolate malt, and some roasted malt with a end note of hops

Taste: Smooth, malty, Chocolate malt, Little black satin malt. When chewed the hops come out alot more. Finishes with a note of coffee.

Mouthfeel: clean and smooth

Overall: Easy drinker, Even my wife likes it. I could drink a bomber of it easy.

3.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 341 mL bottle into what appeared to be a 12-ounce pilsner glass.

2-finger head (bear in mind the glass is small). Very solid black. I couldn't see any light at all through it, and the restaurant was not that dark.

In the beginning, the head had moderate smells of berries and raisins. As the beer warmed up and I progressed down my glass throughout the course of my meal, the smell improved to something somewhat richer. The scent is hard for me to describe, but it is typical of what I smell from a good beer that's warmed up.

Taste was bittersweet, in a nice way. I might say it tasted like beer mixed with the flavour of bitter raisins. I think I detected notes of cocoa. I more or less liked the overall taste, though it didn't wow me like some other fantastic beers did on my first try.

Mouthfeel: There was a mild tingle of carbonation.

Overall, a good beer. I'd buy this again to have with my meal if there were no craft offerings, or any amber beers available in the restaurant.

3.32/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

It is a pity that Guinness is basically a synonym for stout. I do not loathe the beer and actually view it as a reasonable session option, which probably sounds insane to beer novices (those novices who know what session means in any event). Seriously, drink more stouts, even other Irish drys, and you will see what I mean. The beer is that light and drinkable in quantity despite being considered the iconic Irish dry stout. Guinness in Canada pours up with a reasonable light mocha head and one is immediately struck by the reddish brown non-opaque appearance, not the black murk one would see with most microbrewed stouts and porters. The aroma is faint chocolate malt, a hint of burnt barley, bread, light roast coffee, a tinge of grape/muscat/random funkiness and little to no hops. The body is surprisingly thin and weak, almost feels like a mainstream Irish red ale like Kilkenny, very smooth and perhaps a tad watery. The taste is more bitter than the aroma but still the hops are subdued and the flavor is burnt toast, dilute dark chocolate, some vinous fruit but again its subtle, and a sweet black tea astringency. There is a touch of the vaunted Guinness sour which probably saves the beer from total mediocrity. If you are a stout fan you want to keep sipping to see what else emerges but alas there not much else and pretty soon the beer is gone. Its not terrible but its not great. Try it to pad your list but look elsewhere for better examples of dry stout.

2.93/5  rDev -11.7%

Guinness should be in the world record book for blandest stout. Seriously, just look at the thing - it isn't even really black! Light and clarity sneak through the beer's many soft brown spots and hardly any head materializes atop (this brown bottle version is obviously not nitrogen-infused). This has hardly more colour than my morning toast.

Many people wrongly assume that a beer that is dark will be heavy and that darker colour means richer flavour. This is not always the case and, in this instance, it's an outright untruth. Leave the knife and fork behind - this thing is better suited to a sippy cup. No roast, no bitterness, no real impression at all - it's a stout that could be right under your nose and you wouldn't know it.

An interesting fact about Guinness that most people don't know is that they tinker the recipe to cater to local palates. Depending on where in the world it's brewed, the formula might be sweeter or stronger, less dense or more yeasty, less dark or more carbonated, etc. This Canadian-brewed offering is the weakest I've tried, with hardly enough malt to feign even roasted grain (let alone chocolate or anything else).

While I'm relieved that my palate isn't drowning in foamy nitrogen, I'm equally put-off by the cloying corn syrup texture (not to mention the near total lack of roast and body). Guinness is a stout in the same way that I'm the world's best guitar player - I can call myself that but it doesn't mean I actually have the credentials. This feels less dense than water, something criminal for any beer but especially a stout.

Whether I prefer Labatt's version (brewed in Ontario) over the actual Irish-brewed import requires a blind taste-test I do not care to take. In truth, I don't care for either. Odd though it may sound, Nigeria, Ghana and Jamaica all have better Guinness on offer than cold-climate Canada. Maybe it's a case of not wanting what you have, but I doubt it; Caribbean, African and Belgian Guinness are simply formulated for more refined palates.

4.29/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 24 oz (or so) bottle into glass.

A: Great head. Screw the nitro tap, this pours fine as it is. Deep black body with off-white foam riding high on the glass.

S: Dark chocolate and caramel, slightly sweet aroma

T: A little bite and bitterness, trace hop presence although little or no flowery tones. Sweet, caramel and chocolate notes

M: Thick, slightly carbonated, a little bit of clinging to the tongue. It's oily in a positive way like a good stout should be.

I enjoyed it. I got a larger bottle for $3. It had two glasses worth in it. This is certainly best enjoyed in winter and in traditional Irish weather where it's never what we in North America consider "warm." It sticks to your insides and builds a fire there. It's a safe bet for a nice stout. I don't like it nearly as much as Magic Hat Heart of Darkness, but it's a solid bet if you want a nice dark beer that clings to your ribs.

2.96/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A- Very dark brown, foamy and fluffy tan head, bit of lacing on the glass. Looks like a typical stout.

S- Smokey, a bit of hops, but not that great.

T- A bit hoppier than expected, tastes like a cigar, but not in a good way, got better as it warmed up.

M- Creamy, meduim carbonation, not bad but not great.

O- Overrated beer, not worth it. A disappointment.

2.32/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

The smell is pretty good but the taste is another story.

It pours a black with a tiny dark tan head.

The smell rich with malt and some piney hopiness and metal.
The taste like an old cigar. It is to bold for my taste . I could only drank one or two of this beers. I still have four beers left in the cooler. I wish I can return them. This is not a good stout!

3.05/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bonus bottle drained watching Temple Owls attempt to dislodge the (1) Indiana Hoosiers.

O lovely Guinness. Perhaps I shouldn't settle for the extra stout Canadian brew, but it's what's available. Pours with a reasonable dense head a deep brown. Just a hint of color. Nose of roasted malt, and hints of coffee. Mouthfeel is a bit sharp and carbonated for a stout. Taste is also somewhat unrefined and clunky, but certainly enjoyable. Goes down smooth enough. Need to get myself to Arthur's Gate.

3.45/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours an opaque very dark amber (almost black) in color with some very light amounts of gentle visible carbonation and some light amounts of brown highlights. The beer has a two finger tall creamy light tan head that slowly reduces to a very thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a couple of small slightly thicker patches that include some large bubbles and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of lightly roasted malts along with a slightly nutty hint and there are some light hints of dark malts. Overall, the smell of this beer is pretty light bit strengthens slightly as the beer warms.

T: Light to moderate flavors of lightly roasted malts, dark malts, and just a touch of sweetness to the malts (not dissimilar to the sweetness you usually find in a milk stout).Very light amounts of bitterness which fades quickly.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Light and airy with some light to moderate amounts of dryness in the finish.

O: Easy to drink and sessionable - definitely would be happy to put a couple of these down during a session (I guess I should have had this one on St. Paddy's Day).

3.44/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Close to opaque but not pitch black. It really seems to be a very dark brown, that sort of brown that is so dark it looks black. The light creates highlights in the beer at the edges of my glass, making it's brown hue more visible. It's frothy cappucino head is plentiful and long lasting, and thickly coats the walls of my pint glass. I actually think this looks better than the nitro Guinness Draught. Mild roasty aroma smells of coffee. Tastes of black coffee with a pleasing, tangy, slightly fruity acidity. Finishes with a lingering light charred bitterness.

It doesn't feel as smooth as the Draught, but I think this has a bit more body to it. The smoothness provided by the nitro dispense can make it feel a bit weightier than it is, but I've always found the Draught very thin. This isn't heavy either, but it's also not as thin. It's definately not watery. I think this would work pretty well as a session stout. It's not great, but it works.

3.94/5  rDev +18.7%

22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Pours a deep brownish black w/ a big mocha head that settles to a rich sea foam on the surface.

Aroma is nice and mildly roasty with notes of chocolate and dark fruit.

Taste follows nose. Soft bitter roasted malt, dark fruit, chocolate. Good, minerally water. A well-balanced stout.

Mouthfeel is soft and smooth, drinkable. Clean, semi-dry finish.

Overall a solid representation of the style.

3.8/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Chilled to around 50 degrees and served in a tulip glass. Thick brown head atop red-brown beer that's practically black. Aromas of sweet fruits, chocolate and spices. Flavors of sweet coffee, fruit and dark chocolate. Other than its seeming unpopularity, I'm not sure why I've never had this before. It's as good as, if not better than, regular Guinness.

3.43/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is close to being near black in color and has amber visible at the bottom of the glass when it is held up to a bright light along with some slight hints of carbonation. It poured with a three quarter finger high tan head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a good amount of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of dark malts in the nose along with some hints of roasted malts. The smell becomes a little stronger as the beer warms up.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, but has a little more roasted malts along with slight hints of toasted malts and sweet malt extracts. Minimal bitterness is present.
M: It feels a little shy of medium-bodied and somewhat airy on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. The finish leaves a bit of dryness in your mouth.
O: This beer goes down quite easily and can be considered sessionable. I wouldn’t have a problem drinking a few of these in one sitting.

4.17/5  rDev +25.6%

I poured from a bottle into a regular glass.

I was actually pleasantly suprised by this beer. My wife bought it for me, after urging me to try Guinness stuff. I'd tried their regular Supermarket stuff, and wasn't particularly impressed. But this stuff had a pretty good taste about it. There's definately a hint a chocolate in there, which is a big thing for me when drinking a beer, especially a stout. The rest of the taste just seems like dark roasted malts. So a pretty simple, but a very drinkable beer. If you like something complex or unique, I don't think this will do it for you. Not terribly expensive, and an alright session brew, so if you like dark beers, give it a shot. Not the best beer I've tasted by any stretch, but certainly not the worst.

3.8/5  rDev +14.5%

Served from a bottle into a English pub glass

A: Black as a typical stout maybe a little bit more transparent then your regular Guinness. Brownish-red tinges when under light. Minimal lacing and small head.

S: Some roasted deep chocolate/ coffee flavours. Not to deep or overpowering.

T: Noticeably more bitter than regular Guinness. More burnt/darker flavor to it as well. A little bit of a metallic taste as well but its pretty slight. Nothing too bold or flavorful.

M: Personally I love the mouth feel of the nitro tabs Guinness has in their Draught but this was pretty smooth too. Decent carbonation. Feels a bit strange for a stout but its good I guess.

Overall: Meh. It was a decent beer but nothing special. Honestly I prefer the regular Guinness for its creamy mouth feel. I probably will not buy this again. However if they released it with a nitro tab I would definitely give it a go. Don't get me wrong a stout doesn't need a nitro tab to be great but its just something i would like to see in this one. I'd rather save some cash and get the regular or even better get some St. Ambroise or Youngs if I'm in a stout mood.

4.33/5  rDev +30.4%

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass, pours a dark orange brown with a huge creamy tan head that lingers leaving good lacing, clear

S: smell of bitter hops, burnt toasted malt, coffee, floral bready quality

T: bitter hops up front that fades to dark roasted burnt malt, finish is dry and quite choppy with flavors of coffee

M: fuller bodied with a dry quality, less creamy than regular Guinness, stronger aftertaste

O: Guinness Draught's more robust heavier brother, it has more hop flavor and more alcohol content, flavors are similar but the texture is much different

3.74/5  rDev +12.7%

A- One of the most beautiful beers I've ever poured. Excellent two finger, creamy, tan head with superb lacing. Completely opaque however under a bright light you can vaguely make out a red tinge. Its appearance is definitely this beers stong suit.

S- Pleasant malty aroma but not as potent as its appearance leads you to expect.

T- Certainly an eye opener. Very strong coffee and chocolate notes which would be welcoming if not for the burnt undertones which tarnish the lingering aftertaste.

M- Underwhelming. Could be creamier. Too thin and lacking in carbonation.

O- Excellent beer but the burnt aftertaste is a distinct issue.

3.15/5  rDev -5.1%

12 oz bottle was poured into a Guinness glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a dismal head that reduced to a thin layer and left slight lacing on the glass. It is a pitch black color with no clarity or visions of bubbles coming up the side of the glass.

Smell: burnt malts, slight toffee, and a weird aroma that I can't explain.

Taste: Lots of bitterness, burnt chocolate malts, sour notes, and really not sure about this single I bought.

Mouthfeel: awkward, low carbonation, watery, light, and extremely strange.

Overall: I used to love Guinness, but this version made in Canada is definitely not the same as the original. Off by a few steps.

2.98/5  rDev -10.2%

A: Massive 1 1/2" tan head on a bad pour over cola coloured liquid.

S: Yeast, baking soda and grassy hops.

T: Toasted malt, somewhat metallic, grass, earth, pine and espresso. Quite strong tasting.

M: Thin viscosity and a medium to low level of fine carbonation.

O: I thought that Guinness Foreign Extra Stout had finally come to Canada, and was disappointed when I realized that I picked this up instead.

3.1/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Pours an opaque black with a two-finger+ creamy tan head that persists quite well, leaving a good amount of lacing.

S: Scorched toffee, chicory coffee and a faint hint of Goldings, along with the trademark Guinness sour edge.

T: Bracingly acid up front, the roastiness kicks in mid-palate and increases in the finish, where it takes on burnt overtones. There is a noticeable hop presence in the middle, which is quite nice.

M: On the watery side, and lacking the smoothness of either nitrogen or the hand pump.

O: In the end, a rather bland offering that bests the swill offered on tap as Guinness in the US, but not what other dry Irish stouts are capable of.

3.58/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Guinness extra stout
Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a deep-deep brown nearly black color. Upon pouring there is a huge tan head that has quite good persistence. The head fades slowly over time to give a great level of lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is heaviest of roasted coffee and some dark chocolate with notes of a lighter caramel and vanilla sweetness. Rather nice.

Taste – The taste starts out of a good balance between a roasted malt and coffee flavor as well as a lighter caramel sweetness. Some light vanilla comes to the tongue, but overall the sweetness lessens as the taste goes on. Toward the end the roastier flavors begin coming more and more pronounced with the sweet fading more and more. In the end a slightly bitter roasted flavor is left on the tongue. While not bad, the aftertaste is a little too biting and the transitions a little too abrupt/harsh.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the average side with the carbonation level quite average as well. For the roastier flavors a thicker and creamier body would have been better. Also while not unpleasant a lighter carbonation would have helped for the darker roastier flavors as well.

Overall - The beer overall looks and smells great, and initially tastes fantastic. The very bitey aftertaste and the somewhat un-flattering mouthfeel however bring it down. Overall it is not bad, but not fantastic either. If looking for a Guinness I would go for their nitro driven draught as it flavor transitions and feels much better. But this is worth the try.

3.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Guinness Extra Stout(Canada)@ 5.0% served cold from a 341 ml bottle
A-pours a dark cola brown with medium size tan head with very little retention leaving almost no lacing along the pint glass
S-dark roasted malt , coffee
T-toasted grains , some barley and hops add to a somewhat roasted bitterness finish
MF-moderate carbonation , crisp finish , just lacking something for a Guinness
Ov-a bit of a dissapointing brew , a maybe for trying again

cheers LampertLand

3.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was expecting really more from this beer. It pours a dark, very dark chocolate color. head is minimum with almost no retention. It has a toasted coffee smell. little bit of chocolate also.

It has a bitter taste, with a remarkable presence of hops. Not my favorite flavor for a beer.

3.26/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a dimpled Guinness Extra Stout mug, appropriately enough.

A: Poured black with about an inch of rolling brown head, the foam of which clung to the glass as it disappeared, leaving a ring around the edges and a thin film on top as the beer disappeared (stolen by goblins? We may never know).

S: Wet and tinny. No real scent to speak of, which was a bit of a disappointment.

T: Roasty charcoal notes and a bitter carbon char finish. Pretty basic.

M: Rich for a medium-bodied brew, with a dry, crisp finish.

O: Only so much you can say about a classic. Sure, it's macro by BA standards, but I think it holds up in its category better than most mass-produced pilsnery lager beers do in theirs.

Guinness Extra Stout (Canada) from Guinness Ltd.