Kaliber | Guinness Ltd.

poor
good
Read the review
KaliberKaliber

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland
guinness.com

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

Added by kbub6f on 08-07-2002

Reviews: 104 | Ratings: 209
2.19/5  rDev -13.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. The appearance is actually surprisingly pretty good with a orange/amber color with a nice creamy white head with good retention and lacing. The aroma is decent as well and a little better than expected with some malt and dark bread. The taste is pretty faint and watery with just a touch of malt. The mouthfeel is the one trait that really detracts from the brew as it is thin and fizzy like a soda. Overall, this is a beer that is decent for what it is but really lacking in the flavor department. I poured my bottle into a glass, but I think this beer actually may be a little better straight out of the bottle.

2.21/5  rDev -12.3%

This low-alcohol beer promises, but fails to deliver. Maybe because I am so used to fine imports and craft brews? Aroma is malty with a hint of sweetness. Color is a deep golden brown, so it at least looks like real beer. Flavor, however, leaves a lot to be desired. It scarcely tastes like beer - the flavor is thin and, though not nasty, barely mediocre. It feels watery, like a "light" beer. An "A" for effort, but unfortunately somehow the brewers removed the taste along with the alcohol.

2.09/5  rDev -17.1%

N.A. Shootout (With Blanks) IV will be a contest between this English entry and Buckler, the pride of Holland. Or, if you prefer, between the breweries themselves, Guinness Ltd. and Heineken Brouwerijen. Which one of these giants can brew the most palatable low alcohol beer? If the first three contests in the series were any indication, it'll come down to which one is the least offensive.

I don't believe I've ever seen such a stark difference in color between two beers in any of my head-to-head matchups. Kaliber is pale orange and Buckler is sun-bleached straw. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Guinness uses caramel coloring. The heads are both more than respectable. This one is off-white and the other is bright white. Since I have no preference regarding the colors, the appearance scores should be the same.

Kaliber's nose is the weaker of the two and smells quite a bit less like beer. There's no real offensiveness since there isn't much present to offend. Even though I'm going to give the edge to its competitor, I appreciate the fact that I can venture near this glass as many times as I want without experiencing that typical N.A. nastiness.

The difference on the palate is even more pronounced. The flavor tastes fake to me. I know that malt extract is occasionally used in home brewing and that I probably couldn't tell the difference between it and all-grain in the hands of someone who knows what he's doing. So instead of malt extract, let's just say that Kaliber tastes like beer made with beer extract. Not good.

There isn't much difference in the mouthfeels since both are lighter than light. In terms of carbonation, though, this beer is the clear loser because it doesn't have enough bubbles. There's nothing like a lack of carbonation to make a light-bodied beer feel lousy in the mouth.

It looks like Guinness has taken it on the chin in N.A. Shootout (With Blanks) IV. This isn't anywhere close to good low alcohol beer, although it isn't quite the worst version that I've ever had. Not only that, but the name has always reminded me of a brand of condoms for some reason. I'll refrain from any jokes about how flaccid Kaliber is. But it is.

3.69/5  rDev +46.4%

This non alcoholic brew has a clear yet dull copper amber color. There is light retention of a white head and light retention. There is plenty in the nose, unfortunately somewhat more than in the taste. There are smells of honey, nuts, substantial malts, with a bit of a grassy odor. The taste is very bready and grassy. There are no hope to speak of. This brew tastes kind of like wort smells, very malty and light. Tastes more like a beer themed refreshment than an actual beer. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. All that said, for the style, it's an ok non-alcoholic beer.

I haven't had a n/a for a long time, and I was in a bar that was really far away from home watching a friends band play, so I ordered this.

App: Red, fizzy.
Smell: Generic red beer. Nothing stuck out.
Mouth: It's beer. Maybe a little thinner, but not enough to detract from flat average.
Taste: Pretty decent. It tasted somewhat like caramel, and I could taste the hops, and the sense was...I KNOW THIS! It was Genesee Red Lager without the alcohol. Wow, it was almost a copy, and since I drink GRL all the time, it was welcome.

HOWEVER, in the stores, this stuff is $8 for a six! I would drink it again if I want a n/a at a bar, but I'd never buy this at home. Still, one of the better NAs I've tried, but OMNA still wins for taste/value.

2.29/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured a nice light copper color and clear. Highly carbonated with a thick whipped-cream head. Smell was sweet caramel, though not all that beer-like and had something unpleasant that I can't quite put my finger on. Huskiness/astringency, maybe? Flavor was similar; really sweet with some huskiness. Some malt was there, but not much. Body was medium. Mouthfeel wasn't bad, and can't really find much fault in the drinkability.

Somewhat disappointing. Better ice cold and right out of the bottle.

2.68/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle from Swedish "Systembolaget".

Golden honey color, white non-lasting head. Very sweet scent, like sirup. Short sweet flavor, a bit fruity aftertaste. No bitterness.

It’s not the best non-alcohol beer I’ve had, but not the worst either.

I like my beers to taste more, especially from hops. This was a bit tame. If I want a good non-alcohol beer I'd choose a Clausthaler or Jever Fun instead.

1.95/5  rDev -22.6%

A NA brew, just for shits and grins – well, a lot more shit than grins. Good grief, NAs are bad. Clear amber brown brew, minuscule head that quickly died, leaving brown crap water behind. A nasty, meaty and grassy aroma drifted towards my nose, and the taste – whoo. It was somewhat a candy apple followed by a vinegary aftertaste.

Extremely tangy, sharp and crisp – to take your mind away from the off tastes. This was a real struggle to finish! But as the label advises: “Serve Ice Cold” . No argument there. I can’t imagine people drinking this stuff to avoid alcohol – better to just drink a diet coke with lime to blend into a social situation.

2.21/5  rDev -12.3%

I was really looking forward to trying this as Guinness' NA beer. The color was golden with the scent of almost apple juice mixed with a little bit of beer. the taste was smooth with barely any beer falvor with an aftertaste that tasted like a corn soda. The afertaste stuck in my mouth all night even after I brushed my teeth and made me sick. Stick with Clausthaler if you must drink an NA beer.

1.69/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

The colour is gold, the large foam sinks slowly down to a finger thick uneven head.

The smell is strong with sweet flavours of oats and roasted malt. It is bitter and very artificial – chemical.

The taste is bitter and sweet, it tastes a bit like carbonated treacle with bitter hops. The aftertaste is similar to toffee ice cream sauce with some bitterness.

The carbonation is strong, almost sharp, and short.

1.94/5  rDev -23%

Dark brass with a big-bubble head. Nose is dirty dishwater that someone dumped a stale beer into. Taste is malty and sweet. Beer soda. The mouthfeel is quite thin and tastes like bad soda water. Not very drinkable...the sweetness is tough to deal with after a few sips.

3.33/5  rDev +32.1%

Why do I bother? Wait, I know...Wifey dosen't like me to drink during the week! Pours a nice golden color,with a better head and lace than some regular beers. This review is comparing to other NA's . Light mouthfeel with a better than average taste. Still has that sweet malt taste. If you have to have a NA,give it a shot.

2.2/5  rDev -12.7%

I'd love to write about why I have this, etc, but that's not really important to the review.

Pours a nearly golden with excellent clarity. Slight hues of orange in lower light. Amazing white foam that folds and collapses like hot break. Lasts for much of the drink.

Aroma is of only of malt. Pre-boiled malt. There's light DME and a nutty crystal or maybe southing further south like a Munich. No hops, nothing else.

Taste is like an unboiled wort, sans hops. Purely of malt, and like licking the paddle after cleaning the container of light malt extract. It's rather boring and simple, and I get the feeling that if this were boiled down, you'd get the same ingredient that I would later pour in to my beer. I can only assume that the unfermented malt sugars are there to give it the characteristic of a good beer, and while it's a good idea, it just isn't that good.

1.77/5  rDev -29.8%

440ml can

Pours with an insipid straw yellow body, slight fizzy head with little retention

Smell, slightly malty, some hint of adjunct, slightly off

Taste, not very pleasant, slightly malty, some hint of corn

Not worth drinking even if u are driving, avoid

2.15/5  rDev -14.7%

I guess this is no better than I could've expected, but at least it's a step up from, say, an O'Doul's. Pours a soda pop fizziness with no head. But I must admit, it does look a bit like an ale, and there's a slight ale smell, so points there. Taste is still weak and watery, but there are the remains of a slightly malty ale taste here, even a slightly floral hop note. If you don't compare it to real beer, it stands up as something you can drink for lunch that's still less than half the sugar of a soda.

2.88/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - pours an iced-tea color with a white, soda pop head which folds harmlessly down to nothing. Odd to see an amber beer with no attainable head like that.

Aroma - sweet and malty reminiscent of an ESB. Simple, but doesn't fade away. The empty glass smells like honey.

Taste - ESB taste, but noticeably lacking the adding enhancement that alcohol brings. Still, the flavor is the best of any NA I've had, which I think now numbers but 3. A flat, almost salty-like taste on the swallow. Not bad, just 2-dimensional, no depth.

Mouthfeel - bubbly, a soda water carbonation that adds some unwanted saltiness to the beer. Thin, otherwise okay.

Drinkability - getting used to it right towards the end of the bottle. I could drink another actually. An adult, non-sugary soda pop that you can safely drink and drive on. I think it would surprise many at a blind tasting.

3.03/5  rDev +20.2%

The label says "non-alcoholic ale-style brew". What the heck does "ale-style brew" mean?

Big, fizzy, active, noisy, white head leaves runny spots of lacing. Superclear beer with a dark gold color (almost tending toward an ambery color). Lots of carbonation. The nose is indistinguishable from corn syrup. Sweet cloying corn in the front. A surprisingly full middle is slightly tangy. Dries to a sparkling water taste in the finish. Total corn aftertaste with cracker-schpoonk burps. It's not a bad NA. There's lots of flavor, but it's almost all corn.

3.6/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I think this is my fav NA beer, handsdown. I discovered it from a friend who was on medication that wouldn't allow him to drink alcohol, so he got this stuff instead. I think that if you can drink this style beer, then you are a true beer lover. It's about enjoying the beer and not drinking to get drunk. Anyways, i was really impressed with the taste. It had a subtle citrus taste going on with the presence of malts. Looking at some other reviews leads me to believe I may have gotten a good batch of the stuff. Sure, it's no highly ranked beer, but it definately has it's pluses. The smell was simialr to most beers of the kind, but had most substance than most NA brews. Just like the taste, there was the presence of malts and citrus, but also had the element of some floralness. If you haven;t had it and are looking for a good NA beer, I say go for it.

Lt brown color, medium head. Sweet, near fruity taste, somewhat cider like. Some malts, no hoppyness. Mouthfeel is thin. Very little flavor, taste is thin. There is an off taste, not able to identify. Finish is slightly sweet. Aftertaste has some maltyness to it. Not much to this beer, no alcohol and NO beer taste. BAD BEER!

2.02/5  rDev -19.8%

Says to serve it "ice cold"
brownish orange.
It smells like decent Indian black tea with a little sugar stirred in.
Dry, slightly sour, with green orange acidity and lots of cereal box flavors.
What's wrong with just drinking water? Not enough calories? I could think of better things to do with grain, like, making bread for example.

3.51/5  rDev +39.3%

A crystal-clear, deep-amber body rests beneath a full head of frothy white foam. It slowly erodes to a thin surface covering ; but initially leaves some thin lacing about the glass. The nose delivers a touch of wort-like caramelish malt that's carried over into the flavor, and seems to be the main note of the beer. Otherwise it's clean, and delicately crisp in the mouth. One of the better non-alcoholic beers.

3.03/5  rDev +20.2%

Crystal-clear dark golden color with a quite decent cloudtop head, mild carbonation, good lace. Aroma of sweet malt, a bit like sweet horse feed and hay, not unpleasant, somewhat reminscent of malt syrup. Taste begins with a sight sting of carbonation, sweet malt flavors and grassy notes, towards the end of the taste some mildly bitter hops appear. The finish is clean and dry; the mouthfeel is a bit watery. All things considered, Kaliber is fairly decent, in fact, surprisingly so.

3.65/5  rDev +44.8%

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date, product of Canada.

Appearance: Foamy off white head, clarity is perfect with a dull bronze hue. Lacks in retention as the head slowly disappears.

Smell: Bready sugary malt and grassy hop, smells a bit like unfermented beer.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Moderate body, very crisp with a dry palate. Grassy hop bitterness and a watery sugary malt flavour meld well. Tastes a little like tea with a graininess to it. Dryness sets in well in the finish with a lingering hop and mildly astringent grain.

Drinkability & Notes: Not bad for a near beer, I have memories of high school back in the 80’s of drinking this stuff just because of the taste.

2.81/5  rDev +11.5%

Clear amber in hue, which was a pleasant surprise as it wasn’t a clear-yellow abomination, the off-white head was smallish, maybe a half finger, it was quick to dissipate. There was no subsequent lace. Strong tea-like nose, it is very noticeable that the alcohol is absent; there is little depth. Dry, tealeaf palate, malt is scantly discernible and there is little hops bitterness. The mouthfeel is not too light or thin, which is a plus, moderate carbonation. The finish is curt, slightly leafy and malty. Very refreshing, something I’d recommend for those who cannot drink alcohol. Frankly, this brew is closer to iced tea than beer, I guess, at times, that could be a good thing. This was a one-time drink for me.

2.54/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a tough one to review. My experience in NA's is pretty limited...I've probably only had one or two in my entire life until this. I saw this one lying alone in the cooler, and felt sorry for it.

Looks the part. Deep golden with a persistant white head that never fades below a healthy skimming. Tons of rapidly surfacing tiny bubbles.
Nose is almost entirely of green tea, with some graininess underneath.
Taste is similarly heavy on the green tea (and sweetened iced tea as well). Not all that close to actual beer, but pleasant in its own way. I can imagine that this would turn alot of people off. Some grain in here as well. Just lightly fruity.
Solid, beer-like mouthfeel. Hefty to a small degree. Akin to a pilsner.
Not something that makes me want to run and grab another, but it probably exceeded my expectation. When a NA is in order, this bears enough beer traits to do the job. There are probably better NAs out there, but there are certainly worse.

Kaliber from Guinness Ltd.